• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Browder's prepared statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee - must read

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ony-to-the-senate-judiciary-committee/534864/

wow

c-span interview http://podcast.c-span.org/podcast/SBBRO0728.mp3
Summary of Bill Browder's main points in this interview:

- Dealing with Vladimir Putin requires understanding he is not like other heads of state but rather a criminal running a criminal regime comparable to Pablo Escobar.

- With enrichment as his main goal, Putin has been running different schemes to take money out of the Russian state and its citizens. One example of such a scheme is international pipelines being built for 10 billion USD against a real cost of 1 billion USD.

- Totaling up the profits form all these scams means Putin is likely the wealthiest man in the world

- One reason he has been in power for 17 years is because rising oil prices meant the standard of living in Russia was improving which citizens associate with his authority.

- By 2013, this positive perception was fading and Putin switched to painting his country as besieged by enemies from all sides, within and without and he effectively became a war president (sending military into Ukraine, Syria etc.)

- Putin controls all media and the electorate through ballot stuffing, there is no parliamentary oversight so he is effectively a dictator but his control is tenuous since he has to keep his populace docile.

- Powerful oligarch Michail Chodorkovski was made an example by Putin in 2003 with a very public arrest and corruption trial. The other 22 oligarchs fell in line after this; Browder claims Putin personally demanded 50% of their earnings in exchange for protection.

- There is no rational end goal behind Putin's accumulation of wealth; to stay on top, he has to be richest, always.

- He can't keep these riches in his own name because then it becomes a liability so he created a network of 'oligarch trustees' to hold and spread his money around in the west (banks, hedge funds, trophy properties etc.)

- Short recap of Sergei Magnitsky's investigation into the theft of Browder's Russian holdings and his arrest, torture and death at the hands of the perpetrators.

- After Browder convinced US Congress to pass the Magnitsky Act, Putin was 'apoplectic' and he banned the adoption of Russian orphans by American families in response.

- Browder has taken multiple (secret) security measures to protect himself and his family but the most important one is getting this story out into the world.

- There are 'hundreds of thousands' of Russian businessmen sitting in jail because the state wanted to seize their assets.

- 'If you fight the regime and you're in Russia, there is a pretty good chance you'll die.'

- The average Russian, with no business interests, only sees the positive and nationalist image of Putin offered up by the state media.

- Putin is 'a very small, insecure, angry man' who will hugely overreact to any perceived threat or slight. Browder calls him a sociopath with no understanding of other people's pain.

- Anyone reporting on Putin's two daughters gets arrested so we barely know anything about them or his grandchildren. He has no wife anymore is apparently a loner living in the presidential palace.

- There is no actual relationship between Trump and Putin. The Russian president has a wishlist (end the Magnitsky Act, dismantle NATO and the EU, project military force with impunity) that he would like Trump to acquiesce to; it's unclear what Trump gets out of going along with this and calling Putin a great guy.

- Russia definitely intervened in the 2016 US election, the only question mark is whether it was unilateral or with the cooperation of forces inside the USA.

- Browder is formally a fugitive from Russia and they want they have him extradited so they can put him in a gulag. He is currently under the protection of the UK as a newly minted British citizen.

- Magnitsky's surviving family is living in London and protected.

- Putin's regime, by its very nature, cannot sustain itself indefinitely and must eventually collapse.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I had heard him tell his story on the radio, but it was more a summary.
Damn, the details of his detainment and death are brutal.

Apparently it is must read because OP didn't include a single quote or context.

That's a long statement too. Any choice bits?

The Russian government has also used its resources and assets to try to repeal the Magnitsky Act. One of the most shocking attempts took place in the spring and summer of last year when a group of Russians went on a lobbying campaign in Washington to try to repeal the Magnitsky Act by changing the narrative of what had happened to Sergei. According to them, Sergei wasn't murdered and he wasn't a whistle-blower, and the Magnitsky Act was based on a false set of facts. They used this story to try to have Sergei's name taken off of the Global Magnitsky Act that passed in December 2016. They were unsuccessful.

Who was this group of Russians acting on behalf of the Russian state? Two men named Pyotr and Denis Katsyv, a woman namedNatalia Veselnitskaya, and a large group of American lobbyists, all of whom are described below.

This is insane stuff. Everyone needs to read it. If nothing happens to Trump or those around him it will be a grave injustice.

You should read it all but the TL;DR: Putin is a comic book villain, (secretly) the richest man in the world through bribes and corruption, and his money is spread all over the west, vulnerable to sanctions.

This is fueling his intense actions to get the Magnitsky act repealed (aka the "Russian adoption" issue)

Zampano

I recommend his book, "Red Notice". Crazy how bad things are in Russia and Browder's own story is fascinating. His successful lobbying of McCain made me like McCain more.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So remember that the meeting Don Jr, Kushner, and Manafort attended with the Russian lawyer mentioned in this statement was about "Russian adoption" aka the Magnitsky Act.

Exchange dirt on Hillary for assistance in getting of rid of the Magnitsky Act? Sure.

The lawyer who met with Trump Jr. and Co.

The Russian government has also used its resources and assets to try to repeal the Magnitsky Act. One of the most shocking attempts took place in the spring and summer of last year when a group of Russians went on a lobbying campaign in Washington to try to repeal the Magnitsky Act by changing the narrative of what had happened to Sergei. According to them, Sergei wasn’t murdered and he wasn’t a whistle-blower, and the Magnitsky Act was based on a false set of facts. They used this story to try to have Sergei’s name taken off of the Global Magnitsky Act that passed in December 2016. They were unsuccessful.

Who was this group of Russians acting on behalf of the Russian state? Two men named Pyotr and Denis Katsyv, a woman namedNatalia Veselnitskaya, and a large group of American lobbyists, all of whom are described below.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was shocked at how fucked the whole story was when he was talking about it on NPR in the last week.

Jeez, yeah that was an powerful article.

Since none of these people registered, my firm wrote to the Department of Justice in July 2016 and presented the facts.

But since it stops here, it is an year later. What has happened since then? Yeah yeah Trump but still.

blugbox

Neo Member
This really puts a lot of puzzle pieces together. The missing agenda and motivations for everything is starting to come to light.

This rabbit hole goes deep and I'm really pulling for Mueller. He and his team have their work cut out for them. This is why we don't see immediate results and people complaining need to be patient.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
That seems pretty damning.

Calls out the lawyer from the Trump Jr meeting and, forgive my refusal to go back and copy paste for correct spelling, but wasn't Rinat Akshmetin or whatever involved as well?

C.Mongler

Holy hell, what a read. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention, but this sure seems to make a lot of pieces fall into place that I was a little unclear on before. Seriously, if you have like 10 minutes sit down and read this.

D6AMIA6N

Putin is not fucking around. The question now, is it already too late for us in the US? It seems as though their plans continue to proceed unimpeded. We have Trump as our president for fucks sake!

Natalia Veselnitskaya

There's that name again. The fact Don Jr. mentioned adopting Russian babies is even more telling. At first I thought that was an odd subject of discussion, but now knowing that that is in reference to the Magnitsky Act makes sense. It also explains why Putin took such a risk meddling with the US election. This isn't about Ukraine, oil or Western influence. . Its about things that are far more important to him: preserving his power and his personal wealth. The Magnitsky act threatens both and he can't let it stand.

Wow, anyone who reads that and still believes that the Russian campaign to get Trump elected is "FAKE NEWS" needs to have their heads examined. Now the question is whether or not there's evidence that the Trump campaign was complicit in this plot of just unwitting stooges.

Alucrid

Banned
Pyotr Katsyv, father to Denis Katsyv, is a senior Russian government official and well-placed member of the Putin regime; Denis Katsyv was caught by U.S. law enforcement using proceeds from the crime that Sergei Magnitsky uncovered to purchase high-end Manhattan real estate (the case recently settled with the Katsyv’s paying $6 million to the U.S. government). Natalia Veselnitskaya was their lawyer.

In addition to working on the Katsyv’ s money laundering defense, Ms. Veselnitskaya also headed the aforementioned lobbying campaign to repeal the Magnitsky Act. She hired a number of lobbyists, public relations executives, lawyers, and investigators to assist her in this task.

Her first step was to set up a fake NGO that would ostensibly promote Russian adoptions, although it quickly became clear that the NGO’s sole purpose was to repeal the Magnitsky Act. This NGO was called the Human Rights Accountability Global Initiative Foundation (HRAGI). It was registered as a corporation in Delaware with two employees on February 18, 2016. HRAGI was used to pay Washington lobbyists and other agents for the anti-Magnitsky campaign. (HRAGI now seems to be defunct, with taxes due.)

Through HRAGI, Rinat Akhmetshin, a former Soviet intelligence officer naturalised as an American citizen, was hired to lead the Magnitsky repeal effort. Mr. Akhmetshin has been involved in a number of similar campaigns where he’s been accused of various unethical and potentially illegal actions like computer hacking.

Veselnitskaya also instructed U.S. law firm Baker Hostetler and their Washington, D.C.-based partner Marc Cymrot to lobby members of Congress to support an amendment taking Sergei Magnitsky’s name off the Global Magnitsky Act. Mr. Cymrot was in contact with Paul Behrends, a congressional staffer on the House Foreign Affairs Committee at the time, as part of the anti-Magnitsky lobbying campaign.

Veselnitskaya, through Baker Hostetler, hired Glenn Simpson of the firm Fusion GPS to conduct a smear campaign against me and Sergei Magnitsky in advance of congressional hearings on the Global Magnitsky Act. He contacted a number of major newspapers and other publications to spread false information that Sergei Magnitsky was not murdered, was not a whistle-blower, and was instead a criminal. They also spread false information that my presentations to lawmakers around the world were untrue.

As part of Veselnitskaya’s lobbying, a former Wall Street Journal reporter, Chris Cooper of the Potomac Group, was hired to organize the Washington, D.C.-based premiere of a fake documentary about Sergei Magnitsky and myself. This was one the best examples of Putin’s propaganda.

They hired Howard Schweitzer of Cozzen O’Connor Public Strategies and former Congressman Ronald Dellums to lobby members of Congress on Capitol Hill to repeal the Magnitsky Act and to remove Sergei’s name from the Global Magnitsky bill.

On June 13, 2016, they funded a major event at the Newseum to show their fake documentary, inviting representatives of Congress and the State Department to attend.

While they were conducting these operations in Washington, D.C., at no time did they indicate that they were acting on behalf of Russian government interests, nor did they file disclosures under the Foreign Agent Registration Act.

United States law is very explicit that those acting on behalf of foreign governments and their interests must register under FARA so that there is transparency about their interests and their motives.

Since none of these people registered, my firm wrote to the Department of Justice in July 2016 and presented the facts.

jesus fucking christ

Doc_Drop

Man, the treatment of his lawyer echoes the stories I heard when I visited one of the old Nazi secret prisons in Berlin. Chilling

LProtag

This feels like something from a spy-thriller novel, holy shit.

So the fact that Jr. talked about how the meeting was only about discussing adoption is perhaps the biggest smoking gun here, as that ties into exactly the false front that Russia set up.

VariantX

Yeah. Read all of this. Thats some brutal shit that happened to his lawyer and people associated with trying to cleaning up that corruption going on. Putin has a fuckton of ill-gotten assets and money on the line off-shored in the West. Hundreds of billions potentially, after getting his cut from the Oligarchs to allow them to act with impunity inside their borders.

Not surprising that some of the money laundered was done through high-end NYC condo purchases. If only there was an amoral sleazebag ready to make deals in the NYC real estate world... hmmm...

SheHateMe

Holy shit.

Holy fucking shit.

This is legitimately shocking. Like, I figured there was some collusion and corruption, but my goodness.

There's a huge storm coming and I don't know how ready people are for it.

This feels like something from a spy-thriller novel, holy shit.

So the fact that Jr. talked about how the meeting was only about discussing adoption is perhaps the biggest smoking gun here, as that ties into exactly the false front that Russia set up.
The biggest point there really is why would they have been discussing anything at all? Trump was only a candidate and at the time a hundred to one shot of being president. What purpose would there have been in lobbying the Trump brigade about repealing the act?

Fusion GPS certainly seems shady as fuck. They (allegedly) ran a smear campaign against Browder and Magnitsky, but also got Steele to create a dossier on Trump's Russian connections? That's certainly some "playing both sides" shit right there.

Fusion GPS certainly seems shady as fuck. They (allegedly) ran a smear campaign against Browder and Magnitsky, but also got Steele to create a dossier on Trump's Russian connections? That's certainly some "playing both sides" shit right there.

Seems like Fusion GPS might just be guns-for-hire to anyone willing to pay.

rambis

Banned
I estimate that he has accumulated $200 billion of ill-gotten gains from these types of operations over his 17 years in power. He keeps his money in the West and all of his money in the West is potentially exposed to asset freezes and confiscation. Therefore, he has a significant and very personal interest in finding a way to get rid of the Magnitsky sanctions.

Jesus!

No wonder Trump looks up to Putin. If this is even close to accurate then Putin is like the best crook of all time.

GodofWine

This is like the ending to MGS4(?) where everything was explained, and all the dots were connected..BUT THIS ONE MAKES SENSE.

I mean, wow...this dude just connected all the dots for everyone to see...how he lived long enough to do this I have no idea, he must have an incredible security team.

Top Bottom