• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia issues new 'red notice' request for arrest of British Putin critic Bill Browde

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...tice-request-arrest-british-putin-critic/amp/

Russia is facing a showdown with European leaders over claims it is "abusing" the international "red notice" system for arresting criminals, in an attempt to silence critics of Vladimir Putin.

Documents seen by the Telegraph show that Moscow has issued a fresh request to Interpol for the "arrest and extradition" of Bill Browder, a prominent campaigner for sanctions against Russian officials involved in human rights abuses.

The disclosure comes amid growing concern in Europe about the use of red notices by authoritarian leaders cracking down on their critics.

This week Angela Merkel warned President Erdogan of Turkey not to "misuse" Interpol after the system was used by Ankara to arrest a Turkish journalist in Spain.

A Council of Europe report this year cited earlier Russian attempts to seek Mr Browder's arrest through Interpol as an example of alleged "abuses" of the system by states pursuing "political goals".

Bernd Fabritius, the special rapporteur who wrote the report, told the Telegraph that the European human rights body had been clear that Interpol should "block repeated red notices" and that he would "take action" if Interpol had allowed the latest request.

Previous attempts by Russia to issue a red notice for Mr Browder through Interpol have been blocked amid a public outcry about the use of the international policing network for political purposes - although the recent appointment of a Russian police official as vice president of the body may help Moscow to press its case.

Make Putin, and they'll even abuse INTERPOL to get you. Seems they have an inside man now too.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Browder's the guy who gave that testimony about Russian dirty money and how his lawyer was tortured and killed trying to fight it, right?

Oppo

maaaaannn

if Browder shows up dead the shit is really gonna hit the fan

check out the world's shitheel leaders running amok while Trump fucks with everybody. honestly, a lesson for the liberals (myself included): a strong US global presence, as colonial and overbearing and shitty as they can be, is STILL a stabilizing presence. I didn't buy that line of thinking during the Bush Jr years but I sure do now. holy shit.

Sulik2

Browder is a brave man. He is the reason for the law that froze so much of the oligarch's money and assets is other countries after his lawyer was tortured and killed in russia. Listen to the Planet Money episode Meet the Russians.

shiba5

This is why his story is so believable. Browder painted a huge target on his back. He likely has to fear for his and his family's life daily.

Exactly. He wanted justice for Magnitsky and is risking his life to tell his story. Very brave man. I watched his entire testimony, which is a first for me. It was completely engrossing.
"Adoptions" haha.

Lowmelody

Bill Browder as well as Sergei Magnitsky are goddamn heroes and their role in taking down the largest gangster in history will never be forgotten, Putin is on an egg timer and he knows it.

subrock

After what they allegedly did to Magnitsky, I’d be rolling with a cyanide molar if I were Browder. Some fucked up shit that Russia does pretty nakedly without any serious repercussions.

After what they allegedly did to Magnitsky, I’d be rolling with a cyanide molar if I were Browder. Some fucked up shit that Russia does pretty nakedly without any serious repercussions.

Well, I'd say the Magnitsky act constitutes serious repercussions, which is why Browder is such a target right now.

kris.

Banned
Holy shit. If Browder gets capped, things are gonna get real weird. I hope he's armed to the teeth with security he can trust.

So they arrest him and kill him, then what? The sanctions are still there and might even get worse. They just want revenge?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So they arrest him and kill him, then what? The sanctions are still there and might even get worse. They just want revenge?

They want to scare anyone who might follow in his footsteps.

Pomerlaw

It's all for interior politics. Putin & Co are using the good old "everyone is against us" + we are strong against traitors propaganda machine.

He is using Russian's pride, ambitions & fears against them.

No wonder why Stalin is now popular in Russia.

Top Bottom