• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Lawmaker Got Direction From Moscow, Took It Back to D.C.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.thedailybeast.com/gop-lawmaker-got-direction-from-moscow-took-it-back-to-dc

Members of the team of Russians who secured a June 2016 Trump Tower meeting with Donald Trump Jr. and Jared Kushner also attempted to stage a show trial of anti-Putin campaigner Bill Browder on Capitol Hill.

The trial, which would have come in the form of a congressional hearing, was scheduled for mid-June 2016 by Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), a long-standing Russia ally who chairs the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe. During the hearing, Rohrabacher had planned to confront Browder with a feature-length pro-Kremlin propaganda movie that viciously attacks him—as well as at least two witnesses linked to the Russian authorities, including lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya.

The Daily Beast reviewed a copy of a document that was passed to Rohrabacher in Moscow in April 2016. The document, marked “confidential,” was given to Rohrabacher and Behrends. It lays out an alternate reality in which the U.S.—and the rest of the world—has been duped by a fake $230 million scandal that resulted in sanctions being imposed on 44 Russians linked to murder, corruption, or cover-ups.

The document, which was handed over by an official from the Prosecutor General’s office to Rohrabacher along with means of viewing the Russian propaganda movie, suggested that U.S. “political situation may change the current climate” and claimed that it was the ideal moment to foment a challenge to the Western narrative on Putin’s kleptocracy. A subcommittee hearing that would re-examine the sanctions placed on Russia, the paper claimed, would be appreciated in Moscow.
“Changing attitudes to the Magnitsky story in the Congress… could have a very favorable response from the Russian side,” the document said.
What the U.S. would get in exchange for holding a subcommittee hearing was not laid out in detail. But the document promised to help iron out “key controversial issues and disagreements with the United States.”

Too important to sit hidden in the other thread.

Wow

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Rohrabacher is a traitor and should spend the rest of his life in jail.

It's insane that he is still in office. He's literally an agent of a hostile foreign power.

Okay, so I know that a lot of us here at NeoGAF have been figuring for awhile now that some GOP members of Congress were probably compromised by Russia, but just how deep does this rabbit hole go?

Chilling stuff to think about, definitely.

What the...I don't even...

And meanwhile, the rest of the GOP knows full well that Rohrabacher is on Moscow's payroll, and all they do is tell secret jokes about it.

theWB27

Okay, so I know that a lot of us here at NeoGAF have been figuring for awhile now that some GOP members of Congress were probably compromised by Russia, but just how deep does this rabbit hole go?

The people who deny it had little leg to stand on. Some of them are trying too hard to deny anything is here and to actually investigate it.

Horns

How Republicans react will be very telling. Party first or people first or pretend it's the media's fault.

Bleepey

The Party of Reagan and the Red Scare. What do you expect when Reagan was talking about tearing down walls whilst The Mandarin Candidate talks about building walls

Mully

And considering that Ryan and McCarthy knew about it, they are at the very least criminally negligent. I doubt they'll be prosecuted for it though.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The people who deny it had little leg to stand on. Some of them are trying too hard to deny anything is here and to actually investigate it.
What about that tape of Paul Ryan joking about Trump and Russia? What's the consensus on whether that was a joke or not?

I've been saying it all along, Russia is seriously the "paradise" that the GOP wants the US to be. A country run by rich oligarchs where dissent is crushed and gay people and reporters are killed with reckless abandon.

Arkeband

Banned
including lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya.

9764652f-cdc2-491f-854e-43626a5abfc5.gif

linkboy

I don't even know anymore.

This is whole mess is just ridiculous.

And of course, nothing will happen to this traitorous fuck.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The absurd thing is that he's an actual OG Reaganite.

Think about that.

Then again, it's not like Reagan and 80's GOP were above dealing with enemy powers when it was in their benefit.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've been saying it all along, Russia is seriously the "paradise" that the GOP wants the US to be. A country run by rich oligarchs where dissent is crushed and gay people and reporters are killed with reckless abandon.

This is what I think as well. Every single policy the GOP stands for points in this direction. Russia's current state is the endgame they've been dreaming of for half a century.

After that propaganda film was denied from being shown in congress, the GOP lawmaker's office set up a screening and sent invites from the subcommittee's office.

”That invitation was not from our office. O'Neill was an unpaid intern on the committee staff. Paul denies asking her to send the invitations," said Ken Grubbs, Rohrabacher's press secretary, referring to the congressman's staff director, Paul Behrends.
O'Neill went on to secure a job on the Trump transition team and then in the State Department's Office of the Under Secretary for Civilian Security, Democracy, and Human Rights. She did not return a call for comment.

jesus christ where does this end?

Soon as I saw the thread title, knew it would be about Rohrabacher. And of course Paul Ryan and the GOP don't give a fuck about any of this and will just keep on trying to sweep it under the rug...

kris.

Banned
Didn't Ryan say something about how McCarthy was also taking orders from Moscow or something, too? The whole Republican party needs to be purged.

theWB27

What about that tape of Paul Ryan joking about Trump and Russia? What's the consensus on whether that was a joke or not?

I didn't do a round up...but I'm sure you know where Gaf mostly swayed...but the second part of my comment was meant for the GOP.

shiba5

Thought to myself, "Watch it be Rohrabacher."

The GOP will completely ignore this unless it blows up, then they'll circle the wagons. Party over country every time.

shiba5

Didn't Ryan say something about how McCarthy was also taking orders from Moscow or something, too? The whole Republican party needs to be purged.

McCarthy was the one who made the "joke" about Rohrabacher and Trump being paid off.

Top Bottom