• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House majority leader to colleagues in 2016: ‘I think Putin pays’ Trump

Zyae

KIEV —A month before Donald Trump clinched the Republican nomination, one of his closest allies in Congress — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy — made a politically explosive assertion in a private conversation on Capitol Hill with his fellow GOP leaders: that Trump could be the beneficiary of payments from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

”There's two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump," McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy's assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.42e6c72b0395

Its happening

mjc

081.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.
Paul Ryan's entire career could be accompanied by the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

ohhohohohohohohhohoh

Patryn

Best part:

When initially asked to comment on the exchange, Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Ryan, said: “That never happened,” and Matt Sparks, a spokesman for McCarthy, said: “The idea that McCarthy would assert this is absurd and false.”

After being told that The Post would cite a recording of the exchange, Buck, speaking for the GOP House leadership, said: “This entire year-old exchange was clearly an attempt at humor. No one believed the majority leader was seriously asserting that Donald Trump or any of our members were being paid by the Russians. What’s more, the speaker and leadership team have repeatedly spoken out against Russia’s interference in our election, and the House continues to investigate that activity.”

"Never happened."
"We have tapes."
"What? Oh fuck.... uh, it was a joke! Yeah! A joke!"

When initially asked to comment on the exchange, Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Ryan, said: “That never happened,” and Matt Sparks, a spokesman for McCarthy, said: “The idea that McCarthy would assert this is absurd and false.”

After being told that The Post would cite a recording of the exchange, Buck, speaking for the GOP House leadership, said: “This entire year-old exchange was clearly an attempt at humor. "

lmao

My dream scenario is Ryan and/or McConnell going down with this too ...

I wanted to tell my Daughter that a woman cab be president, but this would suffice.

Regginator

Which is weird to me, because of all people, I don't think Trump really ""needs"" that money. Could there be something else Putin is paying/blackmailing Trump with? (Aside from the golden shower meme) Regardless, fucker needs to get impeached.

mcfrank

When initially asked to comment on the exchange, Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Ryan, said: ”That never happened," and Matt Sparks, a spokesman for McCarthy, said: ”The idea that McCarthy would assert this is absurd and false."

After being told that The Post would cite a recording of the exchange, Buck, speaking for the GOP House leadership, said: ”This entire year-old exchange was clearly an attempt at humor.

That part shows what republican denials are worth.

DBT85

"Absolutely never happened, its ridiculous to suggest it"
"We have proof"
"Ohh thaaaaat, totally a joke bro"

“No leaks, alright?,” Ryan said, adding: “This is how we know we’re a real family here.”

“That’s how you know that we’re tight,” Scalise said.

“What’s said in the family stays in the family,” Ryan added.

Classic example of how republicans rationalize their amorality.

Top Bottom