• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ian Bremmer: Trump, Putin held second informal meeting at G-20

Zolo

Source: thehill.com/homenews/administration/342589-ian-bremmer-trump-and-putin-held-second-informal-meeting-during-g-20

President Trump held a second, informal meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Hamburg earlier this month, according to Ian Bremmer, the president of the international consulting firm Eurasia Group.

The meeting took place during the G-20 heads of state dinner, according to Bremmer, hours after Trump's formal bilateral sit-down with Putin.

In that conversation, Trump spoke with the Russian leader for roughly an hour, joined only by Putin's translator. The meeting had previously gone without mention by the White House.

That Trump was not joined in the conversation by his own translator is a breach of national security protocol, Bremmer noted, though one that the president likely would not know about.

Trump and Putin met for a formal discussion during the G-20 summit — a meeting that was scheduled to last 30 minutes but exceeded two hours.

Bremmer said in an interview with Bloomberg's Charlie Rose that the rapport that Trump established with Putin during the summit is "clearly his best personal relationship" with a G-20 leader.

"Never in my life as a political scientist have I seen two countries — major countries — with a constellation of national interests that are as dissonant, while the two leaders seem to be doing everything possible to make nice and be close to each other," he said.

In that conversation, Trump spoke with the Russian leader for roughly an hour, joined only by Putin's translator. The meeting had previously gone without mention by the White House.
This seems... not ideal (for the United States, anyway).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"Never in my life as a political scientist have I seen two countries — major countries — with a constellation of national interests that are as dissonant, while the two leaders seem to be doing everything possible to make nice and be close to each other," he said.

🤔

Nafai1123

Banned

Well...yeah. It's not like Trumps interests are the nations interests. He doesn't give a flying fuck about this country.

5taquitos

That Trump was not joined in the conversation by his own translator is a breach of national security protocol, Bremmer noted, though one that the president likely would not know about.

Fucking ridiculous.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Facepalm.

The man is an ignoramus.

I should mention, Putin knows how to speak English.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's not likely Trump knows about anything but it's not an excuse.

That shit was intentional and he ws probably told NOT to bring a translator.

RPGCrazied

putin-trump-2.png

This pretty much sums it up.

no translator = one less witness

Bremmer said in an interview with Bloomberg's Charlie Rose that the rapport that Trump established with Putin during the summit is "clearly his best personal relationship" with a G-20 leader.

tumblr_ofbvgr68UI1r83d7lo5_500.gif

norm9

Secret meetings with Russians are secret because the Democrats would have been whining about it like sad babies. Maga.

Dude Abides

Banned
You know, it pains me to say it, but I'm starting to think Trump and the administration aren't being entirely forthright and transparent about their dealings with Russia.

mjc

It's no big deal guys, he just doesn't know any better! Give him three more years to get the hang of it!

jayu26

This has become the go to excuse for anything questionable Trump related thing and it's normalizing all of his behaviour.

Top Bottom