• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ian Bremmer: Trump, Putin held second informal meeting at G-20

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I don't think there is anything wrong with him meeting with another foreign leader as president. Are you supposed to disclouse every presidential meeting with foreign leaders?

UberTag

If anyone here lives in Alaska I would start fearing for the possibility of your annexation.
What will the Great Negotiator get back in exchange from his Russian overlords?
A new hotel? Some watersports time with some Russian hookers? Magic beans? Nothing?

tumblr_ob5tfiqDUY1qi4j1oo2_r1_400.gif

5taquitos

I don't thing there is anything wrong with him meeting with another foreign leader as president. Are you supposed to disclouse every presidential meeting with foreign leaders?
Are you being serious?

You should at least have your fucking translator with you.

This shit is beyond the pale.

I don't thing there is anything wrong with him meeting with another foreign leader as president. Are you supposed to disclouse every presidential meeting with foreign leaders?

Russia is under sanctions for invading the Ukraine.

Trump is under 3 different federal investigations for colluding with Russia.

--I think it's a pretty good idea for Trump to disclose any personal meetings he has with Vladimir Putin at this point!

SomTervo

That Trump was not joined in the conversation by his own translator is a breach of national security protocol, Bremmer noted, though one that the president likely would not know about.

Hooh.

Boy.

Sweatin' over here.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't think there is anything wrong with him meeting with another foreign leader as president. Are you supposed to disclouse every presidential meeting with foreign leaders?

And you haven't heard of any context or other information regarding Donald J Trump and Russia, a country that launched a massive cyber attack on the US last year and is currently under sanctions for that and the invasion of Ukraine? Ya think this is like discussing chocolate tariffs with Belgium, hmm?

How would he not know that it's important to have an additional person there? You do that shit in business, too, when you meet with key stakeholders, for accountability.

Or is he not the amazing businessman he bills himself as?

EDIT: On top of that, even if we suppose he and Putin are on the up-and-up, what if Putin's translator is malicious and/or incompetent? There's no way either of them would know without another translator there to verify the translations.

Zolo

How would he not know that it's important to have an additional person there? You do that shit in business, too, when you meet with key stakeholders, for accountability.

Or is he not the amazing businessman he bills himself as?

He's a baby before anything else.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Are you being serious?

You should at least have your fucking translator with you.

This shit is beyond the pale.
yeah, probably a good thing to have to avoid confusion but nothing to go crazy about. Putin speaks english afterall.

Anyway, obviously this is an intersting tidbit because the overall trump russia saga but you can't throw a fit over it. He is sadly the president afterall and meeting with other leaders is what they do, of course i would love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting. This is not candidate trump meeting with russians so there is no law that is being broken. /shrug

Unless they are supposed to disclose every meeting, but i don't know if that is a law or not.
Russia is under sanctions for invading the Ukraine.

Trump is under 3 different federal investigations for colluding with Russia.

--I think it's a pretty good idea for Trump to disclose any personal meetings he has with Vladimir Putin at this point!
Of course, but trump is an idiot, anyway if there is a law that says make the american public aware of these meetings then its right to be angry, if not..eh. Still stupid not to tell anyone about it though.

Trump is a fucking idiot

You Also have he Western world's IC's actively digging to get this info and do timed coordinated constant leaks of this type of info. SO it sinks into his base, like repeatedly blows to the head. Eventually most of them will start to understand that something is not right with this Admin, this President, his family.

High Treason it is.

Let's have a quick recap.

There's a dossier compiled by a former British agent detailing how Russia cultivated Trump as an asset over the years through money laundering, and aided his campaign with the use of hacking in exchange for sanctions relief.

Trump Jr., Paul Manafort and Jared Kushner meet with a Russian lawyer, hacker, and money launderer in a clandestine meeting in Trump Tower. Everyone lies about it.

Trump Sr. has a secret undisclosed meeting with Vladimir Putin at the G20 with nobody else present besides Putin's own translator.

Hmm. You know maybe something fishy is going on here.

malfcn

Poor judgment.

"hmm, I'm under scrutiny about relations with Russia, so I think I'll have a shady meeting and not disclose it."

He has the mental ability of a child.

antonz

White House is now confirming the meeting took place. Bremmer just got on a prestigious shitlist no doubt. Been following him for 3-4 years now since the Ukraine Conflict started. He generally has pretty decent insight into things

entremet

Did he break any laws? Protocols sound nebulous from a legal perspective.

Not defending Trump here, but when you have esteemed legal experts like Alan Dershowitz, far from a Trump fan, saying a lot of the current evidence is rather weak, I’m apt to trust him more than the usual Trump critics.

Moreover, I also know there is current investigation going on that may produce more evidence.

gaugebozo

There's a dossier compiled by a former British agent detailing how Russia cultivated Trump as an asset over the years through money laundering, and aided his campaign with the use of hacking in exchange for sanctions relief.

Trump Jr., Paul Manafort and Jared Kushner meet with a Russian lawyer, hacker, and money launderer in a clandestine meeting in Trump Tower. Everyone lies about it.

Trump Sr. has a secret undisclosed meeting with Vladimir Putin at the G20 with nobody else present besides Putin's own translator.

You missed the part where like 8 of this top campaign people said there was never ANY meetings with ANY Russains (including one under oath), and then it turns out they all had meetings that should have been disclosed and weren't.

Not defending Trump here, but when you have esteemed legal experts like Alan Dershowitz, far from a Trump fan, saying a lot of the current evidence is rather weak, I’m apt to trust him more than the usual Trump critics.

Moreover, I also know there is current investigation going on that may produce more evidence.

It's treason within reason, for this reason.

National Security.

Why is the law the only standard we're going with here? The president can do a shit ton of very ill-advised things that aren't illegal. (Also Dershowitz has been off his rocker lately.)

It's probably not a great idea to have a private meeting with a leader of an adversary with no other americans present who could corroborate anything about what was discussed or not.

What's weirder is that no one is seriously running with the idea that maybe Trump Jr.'s statements that his meeting turned out to be about Russian adoption are true.

The Russian adoptions issue arose from a law Russia passed prohibiting adoptions by US parents.

That law was passed in response to US sanctions, and I don't think people expect that law to be repealed without US sanctions also being lifted.

And we know that Putin wants Trump to lift US sanctions, and it seems pretty well known by know that Trump is relatively friendly toward lifting sanctions.

But if the adoption issue is on the table, shouldn't some capitulation by Russia to justify lifting those sanctions also have been on the table? Why else would Russia want to talk about adoption? Wouldn't that have really been the subject of the meeting? And, if not, what did Russia expect to get out of the US (see: Trump) in exchange for dropping the adoption issue? And how did they intend to convince the US (see: Trump) to play along without offering some remedy to the issues that prompted the sanctions in the first place?

cameron

In that conversation, Trump spoke with the Russian leader for roughly an hour, joined only by Putin's translator. The meeting had previously gone without mention by the White House.

Trump's interactions with Putin are the subject of particularly intense scrutiny in the U.S., because of the ongoing special counsel and congressional investigations into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

That Trump was not joined in the conversation by his own translator is a breach of national security protocol, Bremmer noted, though one that the president likely would not know about.
The President is new at this. Cut him some slack.

Also, last week from NYT: Excerpts From Trump’s Conversation With Journalists on Air Force One
On President Putin and Russia:

Q Are you mad that Putin lied about the meeting that you had with him, especially about —

THE PRESIDENT: What meeting?

Q At the G20, when he said that you didn’t — you know, you accepted that the hacking wasn’t real.
It's kinda funny as his initial answer "what meeting?" could imply that there was more than one meeting and the reporter needs to be more specific, but it's probably more likely that Donald is just a dumbass and struggles to understand the simplest of questions.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Do you think Putin is his best friend now?

110be9a052c2162c5451b0e0aa56d036.PNG

Top Bottom