• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: F.B.I. Once Warned G.O.P. Congressman That Russian Spies Were Recruiting Him

Tripon

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. warned a Republican congressman in 2012 that Russian spies were trying to recruit him, officials said, an example of how aggressively Russian agents have tried to influence Washington politics.

The congressman, Dana Rohrabacher of California, has been known for years as one of Moscow’s biggest defenders in Washington and as a vocal opponent of American economic sanctions against Russia. He claims to have lost a drunken arm-wrestling match with the current Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin, in the 1990s. He is one of President Trump’s staunchest allies on Capitol Hill.

Mr. Rohrabacher was drawn into the maelstrom this week when The Washington Post reported on an audio recording of Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the House majority leader, saying last year, “There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump.” Mr. McCarthy said on Wednesday that he had made a joke that landed poorly.

But the F.B.I. has taken seriously the possibility that Russian spies would target American politicians. In a secure room at the Capitol, an F.B.I. agent told Mr. Rohrabacher in 2012 that Russian spies were trying to recruit him as an “agent of influence” — someone the Russian government might be able to use to steer Washington policy-making, former officials said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/dana-rohrabacher-russia-spies.html

Kusagari

Uhh... doesn't this make McCarthy's statement on the tape way more suspicious?

This is exactly who he mentioned with Trump.

"He claims to have lost a drunken arm-wrestling match with the current Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin, in the 1990s."

Lol

Lord Fagan

hailhydra.gif

There's some shoe waiting to drop that the only reason there's audio of this meeting is because it was a Russian recording intercepted by the FBI.

Watch it happen.

Derwind

I could recruit anyone in Washington I liked too if I had enough money?

What's the going rate now for a GOP official? 50k?

Russia uses Regime Change on America

It's quite effective.

Too bad we couldn't of done the same thing in Iraq. Would of been a lot cheaper. Oh wait you can't cos those shit holes are dictatorships. Same with Vlad.

Steel

Banned

Holy shit I didn't think about that connection. Awkward. McCarthy always gets caught telling the truth at the wrong time, huh?

Goldmund

One way to interpret Ryan's "family" remark is that he knew that some money flowing into the party is sketchy but you shouldn't complain because it puts food on the table.

DonShula

This is possibly a reason why Comey iced the House out. The party is rotten from the core.

There's certainly smoke around that right now. I initially thought that was just wishing thinking from Dems. But we're getting closer to that being a legitimate prospect.

I've always suspected (maybe even hoped) that Comey stayed silent on the Russia investigation through the election because whatever he was on to was potentially bigger than keeping one corrupt man from the presidency. Widespread GOP corruption on the representative level would probably meet that criteria.

CDX

The Washington Post and NYTimes are crazy this week. Alternating back and forth, each time with a new major bombshell story.

So much for that "joke" caught on tape.

Tristam

Didn't Ryan already come out defending himself saying he was joking? It obviously exists otherwise he wouldn't acknowledge it.

His office initially denied it exists and only admitted to its existence (and excused it as JUST A PRANK BRO) after WaPo informed them that they possessed the audio.

and a chunk of the GOP being comprised would explain their behavior the last few years and lately in regards to refusing to criticize trump or even now laughing at the thought of impeachment. as if trump has shit on them as well.

if his numbers drop to the apocalytpic range and they refuse to do anything, even when they may lose the majority, it's going to get even more suspicious

OTIX

"Sir, we believe the Russians may be trying to recruit you as an agent of influence."

"Oh my, that's terrible. Purely hypothetically, how much would they usually be willing to pay for something like that?"

Guevara

Right?

"Hey so I have this friend... and my friend says, NOT ME BY THE WAY, but my friend says Trump is maybe being recruited by Russia??"

The IC isn't fucking around this means the entire GOP is being looked at and they all better start forgetting the name Putin and never mention Russia in public again. Putins plans for a "friendlier" relationship are done.

Hypothetically, if I was Russia and I wanted to get access to high level US intel. I would get an asset in the Gang of 8. (The congressional leaders of each party and the Intel committee chairs from each party). If you look at the members of the Gang of 8, one member sticks out as the easiest mark. That person is the newest to the group and the least rich and powerful. That obvious target is Devin Nunes.

Less hypothetically, I think if we look at the fact that Russia has been working for years on a plan to destabilize and compromise the US government, it's a pretty good bet that they have at least been trying to create assets in Congress, probably on both sides of the aisle.

Zolo

There's certainly smoke around that right now. I initially thought that was just wishing thinking from Dems. But we're getting closer to that being a legitimate prospect.

I've always suspected (maybe even hoped) that Comey stayed silent on the Russia investigation through the election because whatever he was on to was potentially bigger than keeping one corrupt man from the presidency. Widespread GOP corruption on the representative level would probably meet that criteria.

The fact that this is all the way back from 2012 also means that this has been going on for a while. I wondered if they wanted to cast a bigger net when finding those colluding or if Russia just snuk in more than they ever expected. Either way, if this is true, VERY solid evidence is going to be needed because this is definitely going to look like a partisan witchhunt if Russia only targeted GOP members.

His office initially denied it exists and only admitted to its existence (and excused it as JUST A PRANK BRO) after WaPo informed them that they possessed the audio.
So hopefully they have even MORE incriminating evidence.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
and a chunk of the GOP being comprised would explain their behavior the last few years and lately in regards to refusing to criticize trump or even now laughing at the thought of impeachment. as if trump has shit on them as well.

if his numbers drop to the apocalytpic range and they refuse to do anything, even when they may lose the majority, it's going to get even more suspicious

I mean the Freedom Caucas's MO is obstructionism. Going into tin foil hat territory but working as vehemently as they have against a functioning government works into Russias own tactics.

Jams775

Hypothetically, if I was Russia and I wanted to get access to high level US intel. I would get an asset in the Gang of 8. (The congressional leaders of each party and the Intel committee chairs from each party). If you look at the members of the Gang of 8, one member sticks out as the easiest mark. That person is the newest to the group and the least rich and powerful. That obvious target is Devin Nunes.

Less hypothetically, I think if we look at the fact that Russia has been working for years on a plan to destabilize and compromise the US government, it's a pretty good bet that they have at least been trying to create assets in Congress, probably on both sides of the aisle.

Well I remember Maddow reporting that Nunes has a vineyard in Russia or something like that. soooo...

Kremzeek

Isn't this treason?

And wouldn't it be easy to find suspicious income or deposits? Unless it's all in some anonymous Swiss account?....

Zolo

Mr.Shrugglesツ;237374904 said:
At least Romney faked the funk by calling them the biggest geopolitical threat.

I mean...it definitely wasn't because of this. His knowledge on international matters was abysmal. That said, hey! He can come out now about how he was right and maybe try to look kinda good!

What's with all these right wing American Eagles looking, walking and talking like ducks?

Isn't that a bit weird?

Maybe someone should look ino that?

Top Bottom