• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House majority leader to colleagues in 2016: ‘I think Putin pays’ Trump

This has to be the tip of the iceberg. We have to assume a lot of higher-ups in the government, especially the GOP, knew about the Russia stuff and has been hushing it up. But how many are actually involved? How have they kept the party and the propaganda so unified until now? Why hasn't anyone gone rogue and spilled the beans?

The Obama administration knew about it yet still transitioned to Trump and his team.

LOL "But you say 'I'm serious'!"

DAEJaKdXsAA-BpA.jpg

"Don't you have a sense of humor anymore?

I mean, I don't. It's why I'm not a comedian."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This stuff almost makes me wish that you guys would bring back McCarthy hearings, except this time it's all the right wingers that get grilled and have their loyalty questioned.

More than Trump getting the disgrace of an impeachment, I want to see this election ruin that spineless piece of partisan shit Paul Ryan. Let his name and legacy go down in infamy and sewage.

Barzul

I've always wondered how much in play Rohrabacher's seat was. It's in CA so definitely one Dems need to be gunning for, if even his colleagues joke (or not) that he's a Russian stooge, that's pretty damning.

Trouble

Banned
The Obama administration knew about it yet still transitioned to Trump and his team.

Thanks, Obama.

No, seriously. Thanks, Obama for not causing an unprecedented constitutional crisis that would have possibly prompted a military coup to restore the rule of law and forever tainted our constitutional republic.

bud

they have the recording

they posted a transcript of what was said

why not just, you know, post the actual recording?

Trouble

Banned
they have the recording

Possibly they they were either only allowed to listen to it and not copy it, or they were requested not to release the audio by their source. The source is probably worried about getting outed.

The its a joke thing sounds ok until you read the longer transcript than just the excerpt.

They spend several minutes talking about what a manipulative asshole Putin is viz Ukraine and how he is meddling everywhere. THEN comes the "I think he is paying" .. part. And then comes the "we don't talk about fight club" part.

Even if they didn't actually mean MONEY, if the joke was to exaggerate the influence Putin has over Trump, the inference remains: hey guys, it is not crazy to think Putin is helping Trump. But haha that's to our benefit, so lets not discuss this outside the meeting, mkay

they have the recording

The reporter was on, I think, O'Donnell tonight and was asked this question. He said that the source hadn't cleared it (yet) for release. He did say that several reporters at the Post have listened to it.

pirata

they have the recording

The Ukrainians are probably combing it to make sure there's nothing in it that compromises any of their guys or reveals details about their intelligence community.

Condom

So this is a transcript coming from Ukraine? How do we know it's trustworthy?

Ah they have recordings? Waiting for those then. Big allegations need good proof.

So this is a transcript coming from Ukraine? How do we know it's trustworthy?

Ah they have recordings? Waiting for those then. Big allegations need good proof.
If it were doctored, the response wouldn't be the equivalent of "locker room banter."

They'd deny it.

Article in OP said:
“No leaks, all right?,” Ryan said, adding: “This is how we know we’re a real family here.”

“That’s how you know that we’re tight,” Scalise said.

“What’s said in the family stays in the family,” Ryan added.

He said this to a tiny inner circle ('McCarthy, Rodgers, Scalise and Rep. Patrick T. McHenry (R-N.C.), the deputy whip, among others' according to WaPo)... and it still leaked.

I love it when the beast eats itself.

Reading the article and considering the context it does actually sound more like a joke..
Did you a actually read the article? Before McCarthy had the conversation with the other republicans he was talking to the Ukranian Prime Minister Groysman. He explained to McCarthy how Putin's government tries to undermine eastern european elections by funding a populist candidate, a la Trump. After this convo, McCarthy must have realized this and "swore to god" that he thinks Trump is funded by Russia. Then the snake Ryan shuts it down, of course.

CHC

Reading the article and considering the context it does actually sound more like a joke..

Oh I definitely think it was a joke and I don't really see this being a big deal in terms of any outcome for those involved. The takeaway is just that it was a running joke with the GOP that Trump was a Russian puppet and they still supported him anyway. And that that knowledge makes Ryan deeply uncomfortable.

Ovid

Did you a actually read the article? Before McCarthy had the conversation with the other republicans he was talking to the Ukranian Prime Minister Groysman. He explained to McCarthy how Putin's government tries to undermine eastern european elections by funding a populist candidate, a la Trump. After this convo, McCarthy must have realized this and "swore to god" that he thinks Trump is funded by Russia. Then the snake Ryan shuts it down, of course.
That's how I read it.

Elandyll

Banned
Obama administration let him go (fired him), put him under investigation as they didn't have all the facts, and then warned repeatedly the Trump team about him during the transition, yet instead of keeping him at arms length, Trump (while knowing about all that) picks him for National Security Advisor, giving him a ton of access and influence...

What does that tell you?

TCRS

Banned

Yeah? And that's exactly what makes it sound like a joke.. "swear to god" is just something you say after making a joke you find absolutely hilarious. It doesn't mean you are actually solemnly swearing to god that Trump is paid by Russia.. ridiculous.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yeah? And that's exactly what makes it sound like a joke.. "swear to god" is just something you say after making a joke you find absolutely hilarious. It doesn't mean you are actually solemnly swearing to god that Trump is paid by Russia.. ridiculous.

Step one: deny it happened (check)

Step two: disregard it as locker room talk (check)

Step three: crash this airplane into the fucking ground because people are too stupid to see what's right in front of their fucking faces

I think all this will lead to is the GOP deciding to back Trump's plan to get friendly with Russia. It's the only way for them to normalize all this, and GOP voters would be fine with it.
It's pretty damning that many were willing to sign a deal with the Devil just for a short term victory

Top Bottom