• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Lawmaker Got Direction From Moscow, Took It Back to D.C.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Realistically, can treason charges be brought up over this?

From reading up on it, treason charges can be real fickle. Like charges can only exist during wartime, by aiding and abetting an enemy we are in direct conflict with.

Arguably Russia's interference can be considered an act of a different form of warfare but there isn't really a rule of law that defines the current state we are finding ourselves in. I concur this is treasonous as fuck, but the courts may need more referendum and guidelines to win such argument. (I'm also no lawyer or expert on the matter, just relaying some articles and discussion I've read from other experts)

Vixdean

The only way this isn't treason is if you argue that Russia isn't an enemy. However, their actions during the last election could definitely be classified as an act of war and a decent prosecutor could make the case.

Sulik2

I really wonder just how many members of the GOP are going to end up prison or executed for treason when this is all said and done. The hole just keeps going deeper.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I really wonder just how many members of the GOP are going to end up prison or executed for treason when this is all said and done. The hole just keeps going deeper.

Zero

LOL, probably none.

I went Facebook surfing on a suggested news story, how Donald was steamed that the press reported on his secret meeting. Pages upon pages of people saying even Jr never met with Russians, the secret Shadow Government being responsible, dismissing it as progress toward world peace.

If the government tried to execute one of their beloved Republican representatives we'd have all out war.

RinsFury

Has anyone ever been executed for treason? There were CIA agents that fed info to the Russians for decades that only received life sentences. I would be satisfied if those involved were given life without the possibility of parole.

Ardenyal

I went Facebook surfing on a suggested news story, how Donald was steamed that the press reported on his secret meeting. Pages upon pages of people saying even Jr never met with Russians, the secret Shadow Government being responsible, dismissing it as progress toward world peace.

Facebook comments sections are flooded by bots and astroturfers.

LOL, probably none.

If the government tried to execute one of their beloved Republican representatives we'd have all out war.
After reading that poll yesterday where 55% of Republicans straight up deny that Jr met with the Russians and another 26% answered that they didn't know I came to the conclusion that the information schism in this country is beyond repair. There's at two alternate versions of reality coexisting here in an untenable state and the side that's a fantasy (do I even need to say which one?) isn't going to ever give up and admit that it's world view is wrong. I really feel like this country has no future, it's going to collapse from within before too long.

I think it's more like sedition, but at this point I feel like that creepy dude with an ankle monitor pointing the differences between ephebophiles and pedos.

I have a friend that will always correct those exact differences. But even so, sedition is still a federal crime.

Facebook comments sections are flooded by bots and astroturfers.

I wouldn't take that necessarily as fact.

After reading that poll yesterday where 55% of Republicans straight up deny that Jr met with the Russians and another 26% answered that they didn't know I came to the conclusion that the information schism in this country is beyond repair. There's at two alternate versions of reality coexisting here in an untenable state and the side that's a fantasy (do I even need to say which one?) isn't going to ever give up and admit that it's world view is wrong. I really feel like this country has no future, it's going to collapse from within before too long.

Because this is good evidence to the contrary.

Lo-Volt

Wait a minute, this is the guy who the Republican whips made fun of in that audio recording released earlier this year. Everyone laughed but Kevin McCarthy responded “no really” he’s on the Russian pay, and Paul Ryan himself tells everyone to stop it. That guy.

Also, this isn’t treason. That charge is really specific and the bar you have to leap over to realistically prosecute someone with it is really high. We would have had to declare war against Russia (through Congress I would imagine, and not through war powers) and then the suspect would need to provide aid and comfort (presumably more material than information or propaganda). It also requires two witnesses testifying to the same overt act or an open confession.

LCGeek

formerly sane
No it wont. Its all fake news to the GOP. Dems shouldnt run on Russia story, but instead on how GOP tried to snatch their healthcare.

As much as I hate to admit I think your strategy is the better on. Dems need to have a real plan to and also need to remind people on economy and healthcare who keeps fucking things up. The fact they don't have talking points on how republicans have raided social security time and time again is pathetic. Would love to see dems figure out how much money republicans have wasted on big business within any time period exceeding the last 15 years and ask where are the results.

I'm really starting to think there is no hope. The idiots accept a treasonus blowhard stupid cuck as a potus. They have no problems with oligarchs, a corrupted political process, corrupted finances, oppressive police force, and in general think that others who aren't like them don't deserve this country's gauranteed rights by birth. If sane and tolerate moderates or progressive don't start treating them as unfixable fascists it won't be long before we see a repeat of inevitable history. Everyone knows they are gaining power and if it wasn't for their incompetence they could do even more damage.

Wait a minute, this is the guy who the Republican whips made fun of in that audio recording released earlier this year. Everyone laughed but Kevin McCarthy responded “no really” he’s on the Russian pay, and Paul Ryan himself tells everyone to stop it. That guy.

Yes. That's him

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I think the 26% that didn't know were the part of the 55%.

There's one big caveat with these polls tho. I've been reading reports that the # of self-identified Republicans is dropping; and support for trump is a strong predictor for identifying as a Republican.

Yes, he might be at 80% approval with reps, and 55% don't believe the meeeting... but the # of Republicans right now is lower than on November 2016

I think the 26% that didn't know where the part of the 55%.
Oh, you're right. And it was only a poll of Trump voters. Still dire but maybe there's hope?
There's one big caveat with these polls tho. I've been reading reports that the # of self-identified Republicans is dropping; and support for trump is a strong predictor for identifying as a Republican.

Yes, he might be at 80% approval with reps, and 55% don't believe the meeeting... but the # of Republicans right now is lower than on November 2016
I re-read the poll and it was only those who identified as Trump voters. A lot of my Republican friends are claiming to be Independents now but yet still support Trump. None of them believe any of this Russia stuff is true.

Meowster

Okay, so I know that a lot of us here at NeoGAF have been figuring for awhile now that some GOP members of Congress were probably compromised by Russia, but just how deep does this rabbit hole go?

Chilling stuff to think about, definitely.
I wouldn't be surprised if it goes all the way to the top with McConnell. They sold themselves to Putin because they were that desperate to take down Obama (and later Hillary). I don't really remember them being all chummy with Russia until Obama became President but maybe I'm missing something.

shiba5

LOL, probably none.

I can't take credit for this, but it's a good joke:

A lawyer, a spy, a mob boss, and a money launderer walk into a bar. The bartender says: "You guys must be here to talk about adoption."

Oh, you're right. And it was only a poll of Trump voters. Still dire but maybe there's hope?

It was 32% who denied the meeting happened.
If that's of only people who voted for Trump, that would be about 20.1 million people.
About 6.25% of the US population.
I'm not sure what the current number of Republicans is though, if it's changed since the election.

Paul Behrends, a Top Rohrabacher Aide, Is Ousted After Russia Revelations

Paul Behrends, a top aide to Representative Dana Rohrabacher, has been ousted from his role as staff director for the House Foreign Affairs subcommittee that Rohrabacher chairs, after stories appeared in the press highlighting his relationships with pro-Russia lobbyists.

“Paul Behrends no longer works at the committee,” a House Foreign Affairs Committee spokesperson said on Wednesday evening.

watershed

Banned
Everyone in Washington knows this guy works for Russia. It's an open, not-at-all-secret fact. This is the same guy Paul Ryan joked about. How he is able to still serve in Congress is beyond me.

Slime

Banned
I wonder what America's breaking point will be before they off heads of corrupted politicians France style.

Dems being mean to other Dems, maybe? Collusion with a hostile foreign power and a desire to to take away their health care and reproductive rights doesn't seem to bother them too much.

Top Bottom