• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASCAR Heat 2 | Dev diary with Excite Truck developer Monster Games

Shiggy

They just released a dev diary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4i7ANUvwIs

- listened to fan feedback
- brings back split-screen multiplayer
- adds all 3 national series
- expanded online play (40-player races)
- 29 tracks
- releases on Sept 12, on Xbox One, PC, and PS4 for $49.99

Team members shown in the video):
- Rich Garcia (team lead/president of Monster Games)
- John Schneider (design lead on Xenoblade 3D, game design chief on DKCR3D, Pilotwings Resort, Excitebots, and Excitebike World Rally)
- Todd LeGare (designer on DKC:TF and DKCR3D, animator on Pilotwings Resort, artist on previous NASCAR games)

More:
http://www.nascarheat.com

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Hopefully controls better than the first. I also wish the commentators had more lines, to give it more of the fs1 feeling for monster energy cup.
I remember when the Cup series was sponsored by Winston cigarettes.

I'm assuming this won't have DLC to add the Camaro ZL1 Cup car. Looking good otherwise, haven't played a NASCAR game that was good since the EA Sports days (tried a Eutechnyx game, it was meh).

danowat

Banned
Out today, looks ALOT better than the first one, anyone taking the plunge?, tempted, but at £40, with PCars 2 just round the corner, it's a hard sell.

prag16

Banned
Out today, looks ALOT better than the first one, anyone taking the plunge?, tempted, but at £40, with PCars 2 just round the corner, it's a hard sell.

Bought the PS4 version for the $50 race ticket rebate (with the Amazon prime discount I'm basically being paid to take the game; I'll use the ticket rebate at NH next summer); should arrive today (but USPS seemingly screwed up and it may not come until tomorrow).

It looks pretty good, but I didn't like how in some of the videos people seemed to be able to knife through the field way too easily. Hopefully the right balance of settings with difficulty/assists will make things more reasonable.

I'll report back after I've had a chance to dive in a bit, but not sure how much I'll be playing it since I still have to finish UC Lost Legacy, and have been playing PUBG lately. Early reviews seem decent if not spectacular. It's nice that nobody has come in here yet to shit on Monster Games for working on these instead of games for Nintendo; got a decent amount of that with this game's predecessor last year.

EDIT: Just watched the video in the second post ,and damn, not bad. They seem to have done a decent job (better than I expected at least) with the dirt physics.

prag16

Banned
I'll just throw a few comments in here for anybody who cares. (Sorry for the triple post.)

-I like the handling better than last year's game. The cars feel like they have more weight, and the way AI cars react when you squeeze them or bump them seems more realistic than last year. (This is with assists turned off, but automatic transmission.)

-The visuals are not good when you compare to games like Forza or Project CARS, but that doesn't mean it's a "bad" looking game by any means. It seems like some aspects of the lighting at minimum have improved since last year.

-The first couple challenges seemed way too easy, hopefully the difficulty ramps up. The career mode seems to still be somewhat bare bones, just in different ways than last year. But I haven't dug in too far yet.

-I don't have a Plus subscription so I have not and will not try online racing. I am looking forward to checking out the splitscreen mode with my son or brother when I get a chance. Also did not try the dirt racing at Eldora yet. Will do that soon.

Overall it seems good. Got it for $38, and I'll make use of the $50 off race ticket coupon, so can't go wrong. It's definitely only for NASCAR fans. Someone just interested in a great driving game will probably be better served with Forza, GT Sport, etc.

danowat

Banned
I'll just throw a few comments in here for anybody who cares. (Sorry for the triple post.)

-I like the handling better than last year's game. The cars feel like they have more weight, and the way AI cars react when you squeeze them or bump them seems more realistic than last year. (This is with assists turned off, but automatic transmission.)

-The visuals are not good when you compare to games like Forza or Project CARS, but that doesn't mean it's a "bad" looking game by any means. It seems like some aspects of the lighting at minimum have improved since last year.

-The first couple challenges seemed way too easy, hopefully the difficulty ramps up. The career mode seems to still be somewhat bare bones, just in different ways than last year. But I haven't dug in too far yet.

-I don't have a Plus subscription so I have not and will not try online racing. I am looking forward to checking out the splitscreen mode with my son or brother when I get a chance. Also did not try the dirt racing at Eldora yet. Will do that soon.

Overall it seems good. Got it for $38, and I'll make use of the $50 off race ticket coupon, so can't go wrong. It's definitely only for NASCAR fans. Someone just interested in a great driving game will probably be better served with Forza, GT Sport, etc.

Thanks for that, is the performance better than last year? 60fps?, felt like last years version was sub 30fps.

Dishwalla

Banned
I like the implantation of Eldora(the dirt track), been having fun with a few buddies on that track. Would've liked if I could race the track with the Cup cars and not just the trucks, but I suppose that's too unrealistic.

prag16

Banned
Thanks for that, is the performance better than last year? 60fps?, felt like last years version was sub 30fps.

Definitely doesn't seem like 60. But that said it seems reasonably smooth so far, even with a 39 car field in front of me. Probably a pretty solid 30 on PS4. Which is kind of a shame since it's in many ways less visually impressive than some other games that do target 60.

I like the implantation of Eldora(the dirt track), been having fun with a few buddies on that track. Would've liked if I could race the track with the Cup cars and not just the trucks, but I suppose that's too unrealistic.

I believe they tweeted at some point that they were looking into opening up all tracks to all cars in an update (but no guarantee). I think they mentioned struggling with the Cup car physics at Eldora specifically as one of the challenges they faced.

Top Bottom