• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASCAR Heat Evolution announced - Monster Games - PS4, XB1, PC - September 13

KingBroly

Banned
Well clearly something has happened. Either they've entirely parted ways with Nintendo, or they've decided to no longer limit themselves to just making Nintendo games, and are stepping out on what had appeared to have been an exclusive relationship.

I wish them well, but I'm far less interested in a Nascar game than I would have been of a new Excite game from them. I don't begrudge them from finding work from wherever makes sense for them to go looking, but I am a little disappointed, both from the perspective of this particular studios output and from what it could possibly suggest about Nintendo's ongoing relationships with the Western studios that they have long term relationships with, but no actual ownership over.

Monster Games is not a large developer. I'd say they're a very small one (with a website from 1995). I don't know what their involvement is with this, but I cannot imagine it being the grunt work of development.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A while back, a Monster Games employee had noted on his LinkedIn that he had worked on a game with a Championship and Career Mode. That line was deleted soon after it was discovered.

My guess is this is the game.

Ridley327

Monster Games is not a large developer. I'd say they're a very small one (with a website from 1995). I don't know what their involvement is with this, but I cannot imagine it being the grunt work of development.

They've been ~30 employees for years. Given that they have always been independent, it's possible that they're using this job to help fund an expansion of their studio that Nintendo may not have been able to do with the work they have been giving them as of recent.

danowat

Banned
Have there been any NASCAR games that have been released outside the US? NASCAR is basically the equivalent of rugby games.
Yes, they stopped coming when EA stopped making them.

Both the early Papy PC games and the EA console ones were released in the UK.

Oregano

Who's the other? Pardon my ignorance.

Gamefreak, who is much more important in the grand scheme of things.

*sigh*

The point is not whether or not this particular game is coming to NX. The point is that Monster's decade of exclusively developing Nintendo games for Nintendo platforms is over.

It's not exactly a western thing considering Gamefreak did the same thing though... oh and Ganbarion!

scitek

I meant at least for this specific title. Surely Nintendo would have had some work for them in the run up to NX launch?

It's noteworthy when a studio that has spent the last decade working exclusively on Nintendo published titles announces a non-Nintendo game.
Shin'en did it, then their next game was exclusive again to Wii U. It means nothing.

Hawk269

It's pretty bad when you have to say how many combined years of Nascar game experience you have. How much experience do you need to make cars go in a circle?

Damn...this is such a ignorant post. You are completely clueless on what it takes to make a good racing game.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
There's an emulator out there called Demul that emulates the Sega Dreamcast, Sega Naomi, Sega Hikaru and Sammy Atomiswave. The Sega NASCAR Arcade game has been emulated, it has some graphical glitches but it's playable.

https://youtu.be/7kRjG2oLlvM

Just wanted to throw that out there.

AntMurda

Gamefreak has been making random non-Nintendo games forever.

GameFreak co-owns an important Nintendo IP with Nintendo called Pokemon. Monster Games was just a contract developer than owned zero lucrative IPs. This is definitely the end.

I don't like Nascar at all in real life, but have enjoyed a couple of the games in limited spurts. I'll maybe play this.

That trailer, though: It's hideous.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Monster Games being a first-party contract developer for Nintendo.This is always how it happens, that first deviation.

I think this is alot more akin to next level games where they every once in a while venture off to do other games for other publishers and platforms but might mainly go back to nintendo, especially if they dont just take off in popularity with a franchise.

AntMurda

I think this is alot more akin to next level games where they every once in a while venture off to do other games for other publishers and platforms but might mainly go back to nintendo, especially if they dont just take off in popularity with a franchise.

NLG was 70 people with 2 teams. MG is 20 people working on a PS4/XONE game with a multi-year Nascar contract to the publisher most likely.

prag16

Banned
I don't like Nascar at all in real life, but have enjoyed a couple of the games in limited spurts. I'll maybe play this.

That trailer, though: It's hideous.
What trailer? I don't see one in the topic or at the official site. Looks like no screens or footage yet, unless I'm missing something?

thefro

NLG was 70 people with 2 teams. MG is 20 people working on a PS4/XONE game with a multi-year Nascar contract to the publisher most likely.

Given Monster's size and the sales of their games since Excite Truck, I don't think this is much of a loss for Nintendo.

Obviously they need to partner with other Western developers, but Monster wasn't going to develop a AAA title for them anytime soon.

I would think the NASCAR game in 2017 would probably come to NX, given that we know it's running on Unity.

When I first got my PS2 I got two games with it, Tekken Tag Tournament and Nascar Heat 2002. Not a Nascar fan or anything, and the most fun I had out of that game was driving backwards, but I'm really surprised this series is still going.

Their last non-port game was Pilotwings Resort at the launch of 3DS. It's been over 5 years.

After Excitebots unfortunately only released at retail in North America it didn't seem like Nintendo was super interested in the Excite series. Or really any racing games not named Mario Kart for that matter.

Excitebots was really great though.

LewieP

Their last non-port game was Pilotwings Resort at the launch of 3DS. It's been over 5 years.

After Excitebots unfortunately only released at retail in North America it didn't seem like Nintendo was super interested in the Excite series. Or really any racing games not named Mario Kart for that matter.

Excitebots was really great though.

Even Pilotwings Resort was pretty close to a port. It was fun but it was mostly recycled content.

KillerAJD

Nascar: Dirt to Daytona is considered to be an excellent game and still get props to this day.
That's because Dirt to Daytona is fucking AWESOME! Who knows how the actual game will turn out, but I'm betting this is the first time in YEARS that a decent NASCAR game will be coming out. I haven't played the previous Heat games, but I know at least some of them are held in very high regard, and again, DtD is fantastic, so I'm thinking this game is in very good hands.

Now after this, I need them to make a DtD2, and then a Test Drive: Eve of Destruction 2, and then all will be right in this world...please?

God, I've been wanting them to make another NASCAR game for ages...whoo!

MacTag

Banned
Gamefreak, who is much more important in the grand scheme of things.

It's not exactly a western thing considering Gamefreak did the same thing though... oh and Ganbarion!
Given how Tembo sold, I doubt Gamefreak will be straying too far from Nintendo platforms in the future.

And when was Gambarion ever Nintendo exclusive? They've always worked more on Bandai stuff than Nintendo stuff?

Ok look, I love "driving in circles" jokes as much as the next guy, but there is still actual skill involved in trying to keep up the speeds they're going at when surrounded by 30+ other cars.

Even for games, it's one of those 'We need to nail the physics just right for something like this". It's not literally just make them "go around in a circle".

NASCAR is essentially an extremely long drag race, which requires a circular track to not make it the length of the earth itself.

don't bother, these people think that most racing games are the same thing as NASCAR

prag16

Banned
Their twitter says NO local multi or split screen (though they hope to add it for a future game).

Horse shit. This just went from day one full price to 75% off bargain bin, if that. Guess I have to keep my fingers crossed for GT Sport to have a split screen mode (the unfortunate way things are going this generation, I ain't holding my breath).

Their twitter says NO local multi or split screen (though they hope to add it for a future game).

Horse shit. This just went from day one full price to 75% off bargain bin, if that. Guess I have to keep my fingers crossed for GT Sport to have a split screen mode (the unfortunate way things are going this generation, I ain't holding my breath).

You're safe

Race Offline – Build your personalized garage and compete in an endless array of challenges in Campaign Mode or further improve your skills through Arcade (Single Race, Time Trial, Drift Trial, and 2- Player Split Screen)

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/gran-turismo-sport-ps4/

pikablu

As someone who just really got into Nascar 2005 and Nascar 2015 on ps3 I'm really excited for this. I played the original nascar heat and liked it back then. I'll probably check out dirt to daytona soon since its got a lot of praise.

CamHostage

nascar heat > nascar thunder easily

to me EA ruined nascar games.

Hmm, what was it about Heat that was so good? (Besides it being developed by the superb Monster Games studio?) I can understand that people became unhappy with EA's products, but as an outsider, when they had that team-based mechanic it interested me for the first time in the complexities of racing in this type of circuit.

Maybe one day we will get the Nascar Rumble sequel that fans have been clamoring for.

Yes! Rumble Racing was the game that was supposed to be that, and it was pretty decent, but the original NASCAR Rumble played a little differently, was wicked-fast, and had a great sense of humor. A silly NASCAR game would be a fun use of the brand (although it seems like side-games are out of vogue for whatever reason.)

Online modes detailed today

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Aug. 9, 2016 – Publisher Dusenberry Martin Racing (DMR) has announced that NASCAR® Heat Evolution will feature online multiplayer racing for 40 drivers when it releases in North America on Sept. 13, 2016 on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One and Windows PC.

“The intensity of competing against a full field of human players is really amazing,” said DMR CEO Tom Dusenberry. “The team at Monster Games has set a new bar for racing games, crafting a terrific-looking game that can be enjoyed with tons of friends online.”

Developed by Monster Games, creators of NASCAR Heat and NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona, NASCAR Heat Evolution’s robust multiplayer modes are built around three lobbies: No Rules, Normal and Hosted. Everything goes in No Rules, making it a great space for newcomers to practice behind the wheel or for veterans to just play around. Normal racing is for more serious players who want to test their skills in clean, friendly matches. Hosted is designed for the most competitive players, allowing race hosts to set the minimum level players must be to join an event and boot players from their game if necessary. Players can also invite friends to private races, ideal for leagues that want to host their own events.

In each lobby, players have the choice to join existing sessions or create their own, allowing for control over track selection, laps, fuel/tire wear, and number of drivers. All tracks and drivers will be eligible to race. By completing online races, players will be awarded points towards their skill level, helping to ensure that drivers of similar abilities are matched against each other.

Branson

Have to say, from the Brad K stream yesterday, that the foundation looks pretty good. A few features are missing that I would like right now but as it stands, Simulation mode seems to be pretty decent. Probably the best NASCAR focused game since before ETX took over.

I mean I'm used to NR2003 and iRacing so theres a bit of a difference obviously but this looks like the old Heat games, which is a good thing. Monster is a developer that actually cares about capturing the Sport so I'm hopeful they can build on this to something great. I'll get the PC version for sure just to support them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGi8U5sWf4 Archive of the stream.

CamHostage

Online modes detailed today

Has teamwork been stamped out of NASCAR since Dale Earnhardt's death? That team concept was one of the more interesting aspects of the later EA NASCAR games (I'm not a follower of the sport or the games so I don't know much, but I did play one of those and liked the concept a lot; Total Team Control was more a single-player feature, but I'm guessing there was still an underlying function for team finishing as well as individual placement in multi?)

The online feature set for NASCAR Heat Evolution doesn't say anything about picking teams or structuring races around a single sponsor's team. That might have been a cool feature since it's allowing a full 40-car field.

Top Bottom