• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shenmue III Screens plus note from Yu Suzuki - Playstation Blog

Spaghetti

Source.

Hello PlayStation fans! This is Yu Suzuki, director of Shenmue III.

It’s hard to believe so much time has passed since we debuted the game at Sony’s E3 2015 press conference. Since then, the team has been extremely busy developing the game in Tokyo, but now it’s time to come up for air.

To coincide with Gamescom 2017, we are happy to share the news that we have inked a publishing partnership with Deep Silver! From the early days on the project, the team at Deep Silver really impressed me with their deep passion for the series and their desire to work with us to deliver a proper sequel that all fans will love.

To celebrate the news, I would like to share with you a teaser video built from a small slice of an in-development build of the game. As you will see, the latest chapter in Ryo and Shenhua’s journey begins with a beautiful set piece in China. You’ll also see that we’re aiming to significantly upgrade the game’s visuals, and you may also notice a new character during that quick glimpse of our new battle gameplay…

I’m pleased to be able to offer a small peek into what we’ve been building thus far, and I am looking forward to the opportunity to show you more as we get closer to our 2018 release.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to all those who have supported me and the team. I will continue to work hard to deliver the best possible realization of Shenmue III.

Yu Suzuki

g5yUqjb.jpg

ufpkE9s.jpg

AbrZoIT.jpg

6aBGfXn.jpg

QcbflbL.jpg

WalDXEv.jpg

YLvset1.jpg

2HG6rvv.jpg

LMB9IsH.jpg

OJWDQyo.jpg

aB0cIOJ.jpg

Nightfall

The environments look great, but the characters look like some wax candle figurines.
They're so lifeless, yet so shiny.

The environments look great, but the characters look like some wax candle figurines.

Agreed on all counts.

Here's hoping they can significantly improve the models to a degree that's acceptable. I'm not expecting Naughty Dog levels, but what they've shown so far is rough to say the least.

But hey, those environments are strikingly beautiful, so there's that! Can't wait to explore them.

weekev

Banned
Yeah feels like the same sort of situation Monolithsoft have. Great environments that you just want to explore all day but character models that look like they were done by a 1st year computer arts student.

Two issues I see with the faces:

1) They have the exact same issue with eyes that mass effect andromeda had.

2) There seems to be no texture work at all on the faces, all the detail seems to only be coming from a normal map, which makes the faces look oddly doll-like, especially compared to the texture work of the first two games.

Everything else looks GOOD.

filly

Oh man, I know what it is, the eyes, they don't move. At all, they just look so wrong. I know this is early and probably just to show backers progress but it was released near games comm and it's been so long, this show reel IS a big deal. Having static eyes on the models just suck the life from a game that is all about life.

If you can see past that, everything else looks fantastic.

Shion

The environments look very nice.

They've also managed to improve Ryo's face, but Shenhua still looks odd.

poodaddy

I'm not worried about the models, there's time to fix them and the environments look absolutely stellar. Fuck the negativity, this games gonna be outstanding.

Spaghetti

The details on Ryo's jacket are *chef's kiss*. He's got some dirt on it in one of the shots. Well maybe some kinda powder, actually. A spice, maybe? Looks like he's about to rumble in a market.

I actually find the character designs pretty pleasing. So much of the medium reaches hard for badass, baroque, and realistic that it can start to feel factory-stamped. These nostalgic designs, with all their cartoon shorthand and limited animation rigging, are shockingly silly in that context. But silly can be good, deflating unquestioned presumptions.

Erevador

Environments look incredible. Character animation needs a lot of work. I'm sure the team is aware of that (and certainly will be after reading the comments) and focus on that in the next year of development.

Golnei

I know false comparisons are often brought up between the series to the point of becoming a tiresome cliche; but looking at these I can't help but think how great the game would look if it had character models in the style of Yakuza. That kind of stylised realism would seem to be a natural continuation of the cohesive look the original games were going for (especially referencing material such as the Shenmue II render of Shenhua), instead of keeping the artwork's proportions with realistic materials; which creates an uncanny contrast the original games didn't have. I'm sure part of that is just due to the game still being fairly early in development, and the models do look better than what they revealed the game with.

Business

Obviously the biggest problem here it's the characters, maybe a more stylized art a la SFV would help them mask the lack of facial animation. You don't need LA Noir tech in Breath of the Wild, seeing their budget limitations they should go for a more cartoony look.

SZips

I'd like to think that if those were some super early WIP models and faces (dear God, especially the faces) that they wouldn't show them at all in these shots.

Yet here we are.

The environments and lighting look pretty good. Hell, some of it looks downright beautiful. But holy hell, please tell me those are just placeholders on the characters.

watershed

Banned
These models are an interesting hd reinterpretation of the dreamcast originals. They kinda have their own charm, in a way. I wonder how accurate these graphics will be to the final game.

Stiler

As others said, the environments and things look great, but holy moly those faces.

It's a combination of the weird proportions, the eyes (which look so lifeless) and the animation (or lack thereof).

I really really hope these are placeholders or something, they look out of place in the environment and in a modern game.

Look at Yakuza, those are decent faces for asian characters in todays day and age.

Kikorin

I don't understand if they are going for some "anime" style with this characters or are just really bad for now.

Dunkley

The characters look stylistically in line with the characters from the first two games, however the shading makes the difference and it does them no favors. I might actually play this game on lower settings.

eso76

Like i said in the other thread, i think it looks very good minus the lack of facial animations.
Yeah, and those NPCs are all over the place, different styles, different modeling techniques and all, but eh.
Shenmue went from being the most expensive game ever to the lowest budget major release around.

Still those environments give a lot of bigger budget games a run for their money and retain the unique old Sega style we love.
I honestly didn't expect better. Quite the opposite.

Iacobellis

I hadn't realized this game was coming out so soon. Should we still be expecting a rerelease of the original and II on PS4 and/or PC?

Top Bottom