• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shenmue III Screens plus note from Yu Suzuki - Playstation Blog

Banned
Am I the only one who's fine with the character models and faces? I feel like the design language is simple, easy to read and flows nicely. There's a bit of uncanney valley they need to address by animating the face and eyes a bit more but beside that the style of character models they are going for have a really clean look to them, it's semi realistic and a bit cartoony and I dig it.

-shadow-

There's a serious disconnect between the surroundings and the characters. Curious how this will be in a couple of months. Looks promising at least for now.

zeopower6

There probably should be something done to the models to make them fit more... maybe the skin has to be reworked? Otherwise everything looks gorgeous. Just the characters seem kinda like they were plucked out of Tales and put into a realistic world, lol.

M.Steiner

Beautiful looking environments but yeah, the character models (faces especially) need work. The game is still WIP though so one would hope they'll look/fit much better come release.

Metalgus

Banned
I gotta be honest, I'm quite pleased with these character models. The lack of facial animation is bad, but this will obviously be added later so I'm not worried. I dont feel there's a big "disconnect" between the models and the environment as some claim, it feels like Shenmue to me. But yeah, like someone said earlier in the thread, perhaps the Dreamcast was better at mixing the realism with the cartoony. Can't wait for actual exploration gameplay (I guess that won't be until 2018 though).

J2 Cool

hqdefault.jpg

I'm ded. Goodnight

Pandy

Am I the only one who's fine with the character models and faces? I feel like the design language is simple, easy to read and flows nicely. There's a bit of uncanney valley they need to address by animating the face and eyes a bit more but beside that the style of character models they are going for have a really clean look to them, it's semi realistic and a bit cartoony and I dig it.

I'm mostly fine with it.
This is a direct sequel to games that are now quite old, and I don't want a massive change in style just because the technology has moved on. Higher detail, better resolution, yes, but I don't want it to feel too jarring when I play through 1 & 2 beforehand and then play 3 immediately afterwards (which is of course exactly what I plan to do, along with many others I'm sure).

eizarus

Banned
Isn't the game a AA title and barely managed enough funding for that via Kickstarter and Sony? Because it sure looks like one lol.
I would say it is Nostalgia:
Really? Come on man. The old one was good by the standards of it's time. This one looks bad, even with the acknowledgement that they're going for a manga style look. Not hard to see that that's what the person you quoted meant
I assume

00ich

Besides the lack of facial animation it looks surprisingly good.
I like the stylized characters. Propably a good choice given the limited budget.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Are you sure this isn't the PC version?

It looks A LOT better than I expected, even the characters.

I'm excited again!! Thank you Yu Suzuki!!

I'd like to think that if those were some super early WIP models and faces (dear God, especially the faces) that they wouldn't show them at all in these shots.

Yet here we are.

The environments and lighting look pretty good. Hell, some of it looks downright beautiful. But holy hell, please tell me those are just placeholders on the characters.

Seeing the detail on the environment, it looks like they may be focusing on that first. I doubt these will be what we're left with in regards to the characters at least in regards to facial animation and such.

jett

D-Member
I really can't see this being released in 2018.

I wonder how much content does this game have. Seems we've been seeing the same places.

Everything looks tremendous... except obviously the models. I believe in Suzuki - the character models in shenmue were the biggest tech innovation at the time so I'm really confident these are placeholders. To say nothing of VF etc, which were always landmark models.

Looks INCREDIBLE! Dat use of colour! The enviroments! The character models! I NEED THIS GAME RIGHT NOWWWWW!!!

h3kjEXJ.jpg

Yeah fam, preach

Ryo's model looks soooo much better than when they first showed him, and obviously this still has plenty of development time. Shenmue 3 will be another masterpiece just like the first 2 BELIEVE

I am not digging the faces.
They really just look like the Dreamcast models with 10 times the poly count and better textures.

Why can't they make them look at least a little bit more realistic and less like NPCs in Sonic'06 CGI cutscenes with pretty shaders?

I do like everything else though. The colors, the environment, the animation on the characters (as seen in the latest teaser). Really nice.

master15

I think the environments looks amazing. Giving me very strong Shenmue vibes.

The characters models obviously need a lot of work but contrary to model that was released earlier this week, Ryo isn't that far off being the robotic, monotone bad ass we all love. I've often complained about the 'newness' of his jacket compared to the worn-in, lived in feel that the original has. I was so happy to see those details in these screen shots.

I'm happy with it too. It retains the look of the original series in some strange way.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I dig the environment screens. Still got a year or so to cook in the oven. Looking forward to the final results and that Shenmue magic.

kunonabi

Ryo and Shenhua dont look like themselves so no im not fine with it. NPCs are fine if still a little cartoony.

master15

Ryo and Shenmue dont look like themselves so no im not fine with it. NPCs are fine if still a little cartoony.

Ryo is looking pretty close to original render and artwork. Once they make some refinements to his eyes and facial capture I think we have a pretty faithful rendition.

I assume you mean Shenhua as Shenmue looks pretty good too ;)

CcNTFFFVIAAS_76_large.jpg

Slermy

Yep.
And that's exactly the way they should look.

I think my problem is I want either a stylized, "Dreamcast look" that is super faithful to the original that extends to the environments, or an updated interpretation of the characters to match the current look of the environments (which are very pretty in some shots).

Right now it's jarring.

kunonabi

I think my problem is I want either a stylized, "Dreamcast look" that is super faithful to the original that extends to the environments, or an updated interpretation of the characters to match the current look of the environments (which are very pretty in some shots).

Right now it's jarring.

Yeah, I'd be fine with an updated take as long as it still resembled any of the older versions of the characters but these just feel off like a cheap, oddly cartoonish knockoffs.

_Ryo_

The visuals actually kind of remind me of Dragon Quest XI's aesthetics. Realistic environments, with cartoon characters. Put anime style eyes and mouths on Shenmue III's character models and the resemblance would be uncanny.

They are obviously attempting a modern take on the stylized character models of the original. I love the surreal jankiness of it. Pure early naughts nostaligia.

This. I'm sure some people wanted a full overhaul in making the characters look as realistic as possible, but I think the team behind this want to keep the "look" of the original to somewhat gel via visual continuity. Well, that, and to tap into that "nostalgia factor" I'm sure some Shenmue fans have regarding that "look".

The environments look stunning. Models coming along hopefully improve with time. Disappointed with the logo change yet again. Just leave it alone and add a III.

Top Bottom