• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shenmue III Screens plus note from Yu Suzuki - Playstation Blog

Wireframe

Wanna chime in the characters look super rough. I'll still play the game if this is the final style they'll end up using but it looks surreal to say the least.

Can't wait to see Niao Sun in all her HD glory!

cOpvqVel.jpg

KORNdoggy

i think what's throwing it all off a bit is that the environments look really realistic, and then you have heavily stylized anime characters in them. i'm not super bothered by it though, i frankly just want a new shenmue and don't really care how it looks. but i think the technical limitations of the dreamcast helped merge those styles a lot better. because lets face it, the dreamcast games were hardly amazing in the animation department either, i still remember that wooden walk animation. lol but then i don't think it would feel like shenmue without it.

i think what's throwing it all off a bit is that the environments look really realistic, and then you have heavily stylized anime characters in them. i'm not super bothered by it though, i frankly just want a new shenmue and don't really care how it looks. but i think the technical limitations of the dreamcast helped merge those styles a lot better. because lets face it, the dreamcast games were hardly amazing in the animation department either, i still remember that wooden walk animation. lol but then i don't think it would feel like shenmue without it.

Speaking of those wooden animations, will tank controls make it in Shenmue 3?

They are obviously attempting a modern take on the stylized character models of the original. I love the surreal jankiness of it. Pure early naughts nostaligia.

J2 Cool

The fighting animations in Shenmue were aces though. Still one of the better fighting systems. Also the cutscenes were top notch, and some of the first to animate articulated hands. But yes, the walk animation like some of the voice acting was oddly formal and stiff.

Anyway, I think they're de-emphasizing anything naturalistic looking thus far, and that was a big element of the original; the mundane meeting the fantastic. 80's grit and texture in an operatic cinematic looking presentation. And it felt like they were dedicated to getting something of an accurate feel to each environment they're presenting, along with a few anime exceptions (Chai, Don Niu, etc). Hopefully they get back to that.

There are a couple moments where the music and the shots align in a perfectly Shenmue way, that gets me excited. I'm cautiously optimistic.

EDIT: Also, they need to match Shenhua's costume 1:1, and add some fabric texture onto it. It's thus far been a dough-y shape, that doesn't look like fabric at all sans texture. And for some reason, they decided to move away from the costume she's wearing in the exact same scenes in Shenmue 2 (the mirrors in the cave). Just a puzzling choice, as if her face already doesn't look different enough.

I'll take them.

I don't think they look that bad at all. Just tighten up the expression a little bit and I'm good to go!

I agree it's not the modelisation (although Shenhua needs reworking). But these facial animations are abysmal. Heck, are there even facial animations ? I'm not expecting amazing ones. But these are below Shenmue 1.

I don't think they're below the first Shenmue. They do definitely remind me of the the first two games (which is probably why I'm being incredibly lenient) but saying it's worse? Nah.

When Shenhua was talking for a few seconds it looked better than anything in the first two games.

Nice shit post.

A cutscene model compared to an older ingame model that's not even in the game anymore. Well played.

I don't think they're below the first Shenmue. They do definitely remind me of the the first two games (which is probably why I'm being incredibly lenient) but saying it's worse? Nah.

When Shenhua was talking for a few seconds it looked better than anything in the first two games.

Ryo doesn't even blink. I feel like Shenhua is the only one with facial animations. As for regular animations, the motion blur implementation is really cheap. Looks like default UE4, overused in fangames. And the regular animations are bad, especially when Shenhua is pointing with her finger. Her entire arm is static.

artsi

People are saying that there's time to fix these models but I'm just wondering if they even have the necessary skills to fix them considering they made these in the first place.

OK jokes are over. They need to get in some artists or something ASAP to help with the faces. It's glaring, it's been an issue from the first unveiling and it's obvious there are still problems now. It's been fucking decades, it's finally happening, just carry on but get help with the fucking faces and let whoever is currently doing it do something else. Anything else. Just not faces.

killatopak

Gold Member
I believe in Yu.

It still has a year of polish remaining and a delay isn't unreasonable. I just hope they release what they feel is true continuation and ending to Shenmue.

Shenmue 3 rocks.

ZvyWgG2.gif

Literally.

(Last posting from me for today, I promise.. ;) )

Oh god, they need to make it their priority to fix Shenhua. Just... get rid of that abomination they've been using as a stand in immediately. That's a character model that never should've seen the light of day.

Why does this look like some awful fan made unofficial sequel? Usually those actually look much better, and that’s while they’re early on development before getting C&D’d.

Why does this look like some awful fan made unofficial sequel? Usually those actually look much better, and that’s while they’re early on development before getting C&D’d.

The thing is the environment is so amazingly beautiful. But if the models don't look right, it's going to be so disappointing.

I'm incredibly impressed by the environments, which are beyond what I imagined capable with their budget, and yet am (of course) very concerned about the character models.

There's still plenty of time to go though and clearly environments have taken priority, not worried.

Fredrik

The environment looks amazing! Just wow! :eek:

But the characters looks like they got stuck in the year 2000. I know it's still an early build but the characters needs to be priority 1 going forward.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Reminds me a bit of the Remaster of Wind Waker. A flat-shaded cartoonish/anime-like art style doesn't blend well with realistic lighting.

JayBabay

Just came here to share the sentiment that others have about the environment looking great but the characters looking out of place. Like HD Dreamcast models. I did enjoy the first game though so I want this to keep
Improving.

Top Bottom