• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 - Gamescom Hands-On Previews

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Arsenic13

Happy to hear it's better and more focused. The DLC chapters were and they're by the same guy that's the director of the sequel now. Good.

Jawmuncher

I'm still uneasy since some other previews are talking about its more or less the same but without the odd tech problems. Though saying there's a bit more understanding of what's going on is nice to see in one of the previews.

I'm still very cautious of the title though. I really don't want another uneven mess like TEW1.

I'm still uneasy since some other previews are talking about its more or less the same but without the odd tech problems. Though saying there's a bit more understanding of what's going on is nice to see in one of the previews.

I'm still very cautious of the title though. I really don't want another uneven mess like TEW1.

The first game really was this. I do hope it actually turns out to be good. But it's a case of "we'll see."

Halloween this year is gonna be better than Christmas.
Origins, mario, wolfenstien and evil within (yep im gonna hold off on playing this with the friends over the weekend.)
That and bingeing stranger things.
Fook yas.

J 0 E

I was wondering about the game's coverage, glad we got some details

I love what I'm reading, TEW atmosphere and pacing are better + better gameplay and control overall

derFeef

Thanks for the thread and the spoiler tagging! Sounds super, I am pretty excited for that game, even if I STILL have not finished the first game ;)

Sounds excellent. I'm playing through Evil Within complete right now with boost mode and the whole damn thing feels great. A true successor to RE4 style games in the new generation.

The first was my favorite game of 2014, absolutely loved the art direction and gameplay. If they can nail down those aspects again and iron out the technical side I'll be a happy camper. Can't wait for October.

Gbraga

Hmm interesting. Is Mikami just producing or what not? I wonder if he's working on something else directly.

I doubt it. He's expressed before that he wants to nurture talent in his studio, and that's his main goal with Tango. He already didn't want to direct their first game, but it was directly requested so he did it, IIRC.

The idea is to give his guidance and vision to form a new wave of game directors that share his philosphy. It's a great idea, in my opinion, since that is what gave us Hideki Kamiya.

As much as I am excited about The Evil Within 2, I am worried about John Johanas being the director. I know one shouldn't judge based on the DLCs alone given how small they were, but their ideas were something I did not want to see in TEW. Sneaking around helplessly, being forced into stealth for the majority of the DLCs and having a shootout sections, that was so irritating, I felt like I was forced to run more than try and survive whatever horrors I am facing, at least in the main game sometimes I had the choice to sneak or shot out the enemies, in the DLCs I didn't find such freedom.

On the other hand, the DLCs filled the story quite nicely, and also had some really cool horrific moments, it was full of dread and scary, but still being defenseless was probably its major downfall, I hope TEW2 doesn't suffer such sequences where I am forced to sneak cause I have no weapons. I also hope it doesn't suffer from full blown out action like the first one did in the latter chapters of the game.

Otherwise these previews seem to be quite happy about the game, so that must be a good sign.

Mifec

As much as I am excited about The Evil Within 2, I am worried about John Johanas being the director. I know one shouldn't judge based on the DLCs alone given how small they were, but their ideas were something I did not want to see in TEW. Sneaking around helplessly, being forced into stealth for the majority of the DLCs and having a shootout sections, that was so irritating, I felt like I was forced to run more than try and survive whatever horrors I am facing, at least in the main game sometimes I had the choice to sneak or shot out the enemies, in the DLCs I didn't find such freedom.

On the other hand, the DLCs filled the story quite nicely, and also had some really cool horrific moments, it was full of dread and scary, but still being defenseless was probably its major downfall, I hope TEW2 doesn't suffer such sequences where I am forced to sneak cause I have no weapons. I also hope it doesn't suffer from full blown out action like the first one did in the latter chapters of the game.

Otherwise these previews seem to be quite happy about the game, so that must be a good sign.

Check this out https://bethesda.net/en/article/65CMenZI6Ag4yWkMmKwYwm/the-evil-within-2-customizing-your-experience

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I doubt it. He's expressed before that he wants to nurture talent in his studio, and that's his main goal with Tango. He already didn't want to direct their first game, but it was directly requested so he did it, IIRC.

The idea is to give his guidance and vision to form a new wave of game directors that share his philosphy. It's a great idea, in my opinion, since that is what gave us Hideki Kamiya.

Mostly I was hoping he'd be working on a spiritual successor to Vanquish or God Hand.

Neiteio

The violence never really bothers me in TEW because (aside from being a videogame) it's all fake even within the game's world. Everything is taking place inside a Matrix- or Inception-like dream world.

This doesn't mean it isn't scary or disturbing. It is. But it definitely makes it more bearable. Scenes like the one described in spoiler tags in the OP are sort of darkly beautiful in the context of the game's story, since you're essentially reading the poetry of someone's soul — as horrifically twisted as their soul may be.

tesqui

Man, this game's out real soon! less than 2 months! Can't wait! I love that bethesda is announcing and releasing games in the same year with this and Wolfenstein. I think this should be the norm.

UrbanRats

Skimmed through the RPS one.
I didnt want to read too much but yeah, this is my most anticipated game, left to come out this year.

tonypark

Day 1! I am so excited for this one. Loved the first one despites the flaws.
Wonder if this one will support HDR and 4k cb on ps4 pro...

'Consider yourself warned though: this is one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever seen (and with plenty of PC-specific bells and whistles), but it’s also one of the ugliest."

I'm assuming he means because the game is brutal and has gore, right?

Linkura

'Consider yourself warned though: this is one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever seen (and with plenty of PC-specific bells and whistles), but it’s also one of the ugliest."

Yes. Read the article.

tonypark

Indeed! In a good way!

Sounds good, but I was hoping we would also get some gameplay footage

Yeah, I'm trying to stay mostly dark on the game, but a nice 10-15 minute chunk of gameplay like what we got with chapter 3 or the mansion before TEW1 launched would be swell. Just want to see how the general gameplay loop has been polished from the original.

SCB3

I finally got round to playing the first game on PC the other week, man it is a poor showing in some parts and a drag to get through in others.

I like the art style and ideas presented in the game though, so will keep my eye on this

Top Bottom