• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku EIC Resigns Over New Editorial Edict

Doomtrain

Enl2fAs.jpg

The sign told us the future.
I remember when this happened. Kotaku couldn't just laugh off the joke -- instead, they had to make it all about THE ALT RIGHT and NEO NAZIS and GAMERGATERS and MISOGYNY and RACISM. They complained and threw a huge Twitter tantrum until the sign got changed. It was another one of the (many) moments where it felt like they were giving the game away. Like, guys, no one mentioned anything about Trump or lady dicks or whatever. But that didn't stop them from invoking all of those things to silence a benign joke at their expense.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don’t mind the guides tbh, a lot of them are quite useful. My only issue with several guides are they’re very incomplete and have a lot of grammatical errors.

lordrand11

I really quit caring about them back in 2011, but still visited the site occasionally for Mike Fahey's articles, I always found a lot of what he wrote to be genuine and decent to read and not as much opinion pieces. After the dude backed out due to his paralysis I was like I have no more reason to read their shit.

MayauMiao

On one hand, 50 guides a week does sound bonkers tbh. On the other hand, I’d assume what drives most of their traffic data are horrible clickbait “articles”..
umyb.gif

Even if they were asked to do 5 guides a week, they couldn't do it as it means less time for activism.

Mooreberg

Was the writing not on the wall half a decade ago when every "gaming" site was suddenly shitting out articles about Game of Thrones and Marvel movies? I agree taking writers whose experience lays elsewhere and sticking them on guides (that any sane person would seek out elsewhere) is a total mistake, but it doesn't seem like "gaming news and reviews" have been pulling the numbers parent companies want for years at this point. I said back in 2014 that more video focused content produced by people who don't hate half of what their potential audience could be would gradually take over, and it seems to be happening.

mcjmetroid

I think the fact that she HAD to tell everyone in detail why she resigned... Insulted them and then resigned tells us all we need to know here.

I could not imagine leaving a job and then writing on social media burying the staff that are continuing to stay there and throwing a tantrum like that.

I hope she has a good job lined cause I wouldn't touch someone like that

xrnzaaas

So yeah, make sure to parry this boss to win, but anywayyyy, have you heard about what the toxic fanbases have been up to recently?

nikos

It’s A HERB in this case, as the slang version of “herb” has a hard H. You don’t say “an house.”

Some editor-in-chief she must have been…

I think the fact that she HAD to tell everyone in detail why she resigned... Insulted them and then resigned tells us all we need to know here.

I could not imagine leaving a job and then writing on social media burying the staff that are continuing to stay there and throwing a tantrum like that.

I hope she has a good job lined cause I wouldn't touch someone like that
She'll be hired at Sweet Baby Inc. by next week

Valonquar

All the big box shit gaming sites fill up with "guides" that tell you nothing remotely useful. They copy & paste the loading screen tips as if you needed to know the most basic shit available and never anything that helps with endgame.

"Kotaku's staff will be expected to create 50 guides a week"

Oh, so those same dozens of clickbait articles we find all over with such alluring titles as "five things I wish I knew before starting this game". Wheee
I HATE links which start like that and I avoid them like the fucking plague.

"This game has more secrets than a politician"
" Speedup levelling in this popular game"
etc, etc

FUCK YOU and just name the game in your title. You clickbait horny degenerates!

That and IGN does already have comprehensive guides for most popular games. No need for rushed, sub-par articles from Kotaku.

Unplug the server, free the domain name, turns off the lights and never look back.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Just when you think that they couldn't f*up Kotaku anymore, they ask the click baiters to write 50 guides a week.

Well... Gamefaqs is there to be plundered :D
I’m guessing most of their staff will be cut very soon. They’re going to use AI to read through GameFAQs and game subreddits and automate most of the guide writing process.

That’s if they even survive long enough to see the transition through.

radewagon

Short for herbivore or another way of saying a beta or passive male. Derogatory term for a man.
Considering what passes as an alpha male these days, I would consider it quite the compliment. Being alpha sounds like too much work anyway. I'll take being beta over worrying about.... I dunno.... leg day?...... Stock options?.... Boneitis?.....

Fucking ridiculous. Sounds like the same situation that happened at the Escapist which led to a mass Exodus of their YouTube talent.

No matter the ideological differences between Kotaku and GAF, it is wrong to suddenly expect your employees to work to death doing something they do not have experience in doing.
What do they have experience doing? Being twats on twitter? advocating woke politics and weird fetishes? Those people shouldn't of been hired anyway. Notice this wasn't an issue back in the day pre 2012/2013... Yeah that was before the masses had phones with internet access, but it was also a time when people actually respected game news sources and web sites. Now they spew their woke ideas and push agenda in everything.
good riddance.

I'd personally love a good game guide site with actual news articles sprinkled in about new releases or indie games and rpgs. For that site, I used to think it was all related to whats going on in Japan, based on on the site name, yet the website seems to have nothing to do with that. Just more pho political garbage masquerading as a gaming site.
Maybe the new owners/editors see the tide turning and are patching the ship and leaning into it.

It's so telling that an inclusive vegan feminist resource to beta-man-shaming as soon as things don't go her way.

"Resign", my ass. More like "encouraged to search for a new career path" I can feel her bitterness from the other side of the sea.

based on on the site name, yet the website seems to have nothing to do with that. Just more pho political garbage masquerading as a gaming site.
Maybe the new owners/editors see the tide turning and are patching the ship and leaning into it.

Their name is one of the most misleading I have seen.

There is a lot of interesting stuff to be written about videogames, from their process of creation, to cultural influences, and promotion of new studios or trends... but for that, you need to love this hobby. These people don't. They hate it with passion, and it shows.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess activism disguised as news dont create enough traffic for Kotaku... Im shocked. Shocked I say.

The world really is starting to mend. Baby steps.
If you look at their dreadful YT channel which gets hardly any videos views, years back in the 2015-2018 era they must been doing something right because some of their videos would get 1 million or more views. If you sort by popularity, they used to get decent view counts back then.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I can’t remember the gaming webpage I went to other than for a guide. After game trailers died, that was it for me. Even then, YouTube replaced it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I can’t remember the gaming webpage I went to other than for a guide. After game trailers died, that was it for me. Even then, YouTube replaced it.

I think that's the issue with many guides these days, I sometimes read one and then in the end have look up a youtube video, the most recent one was the crabs in granblue relink. It was like THE GUIDE WASENT EVEN CLOSE.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I think that's the issue with many guides these days, I sometimes read one and then in the end have look up a youtube video, the most recent one was the crabs in granblue relink. It was like THE GUIDE WASENT EVEN CLOSE.
That is certainly an issue. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say

Top Bottom