• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Official: Deadspin is Dead

Sonik

One word in, and The Daily Mail is off to a shaky start in this article] sports blog Deadspin has been sold to a European startup firm Lineup Publishing, with the website's new owners not retaining any of the current editorial staff.

Deadspin had been owned by G/O Media since 2019 before Monday's sale.

Deadspin's writers and editors were given 30 minutes notice of losing their jobs before being locked out of their company laptops, per senior editor Julie DiCaro.

'I do want to make it clear that we were not actively shopping Deadspin,' G/O Media CEO Jim Spanfeller said in a memo to staff, which was obtained by DailyMail.com.

'The rationale behind the decision to sell included a variety of important factors that include … tough competition in the sports journalism sector …' Spanfeller continued.

'Deadspin’s new owners have made the decision to not carry over any of the site’s existing staff and instead build a new team more in line with their editorial vision for the brand,' Spanfeller's memo continued.

'While the new owners plan to be reverential to Deadpin’s unique voice, they plan to take a different content approach regarding the site’s overall sports coverage. This unfortunately means that we will be parting ways with those impacted staff members, who were notified earlier today,' Spanfeller added.

Absolutely hilarious, I wonder what will happen with the lawsuit against them for smearing a 9 year old

nush

"Stick to sports" REEEEEEE.

e45ca000-4a98-4a72-89d7-56ac9a4056aa_text.gif

Hey G/O Media, if you are really looking to cut some dead weight from your publications... yah know... you have a failing gaming one that is the laughing stock of the industry especially after one of their senior editors outted themselves as a proud racist on twitter/X. Just saying.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

Honestly, I didn't even know Deadspin was even still alive. The fact that this news has many people mentioning that they also weren't aware the blog was still alive shows its lack of relevance and public opinion towards them. I used to read Deadspin well over a decade ago (along with other blogs on the same network like Jalopnik and Kotaku), but given how everything connected to Gawker has turned out over time, I'm not surprised at their demise nor do I have any sympathy towards them. Mainly due to things like...

Absolutely hilarious, I wonder what will happen with the lawsuit against them for smearing a 9 year old

...This. Had no idea that Deadspin did such a shitty thing until now. It's even less of a surprise that anyone is celebrating the death of another former Gawker blog. Fuck 'em.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Deadspin's writers and editors were given 30 minutes notice of losing their jobs before being locked out of their company laptops, per senior editor Julie DiCaro.
Wow. Talk about being generous.

Typically if you are fired, IT will lock you out of your PC immediately just in case anyone does shady shit to files or sends them to their own personal email.

Top Bottom