• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku EIC Resigns Over New Editorial Edict

violence

Soon we will be able to use Google AI to generate a paragraph that tells us how to get by the part we’re stuck on. Having them make guides is probably just to by time and buildup the site till they can sell it off.

RavageX

All the big box shit gaming sites fill up with "guides" that tell you nothing remotely useful. They copy & paste the loading screen tips as if you needed to know the most basic shit available and never anything that helps with endgame.
I swear I saw one basically that said you will face a boss up ahead, after you win you will end up in (some area).....no details on the fight AT ALL. No tactics, no weaknesses, resistances, not a damn thing.

Soon we will be able to use Google AI to generate a paragraph that tells us how to get by the part we’re stuck on. Having them make guides is probably just to by time and buildup the site till they can sell it off.
You can kind of do this on ChatGPT already.

AmuroChan

I swear I saw one basically that said you will face a boss up ahead, after you win you will end up in (some area).....no details on the fight AT ALL. No tactics, no weaknesses, resistances, not a damn thing.

Yes, that's pretty common these days actually. A lot of sites will create the pages first and put the most basic info in there as placeholders. Then add more detailed info incrementally over time.

Adding another game guides site won't solve the issue with game guide sites. Most guide websites are slow, have tons of pop up ads, sometimes will have a small stream window that starts playing, and lastly they feel like they were built in the early 2000s.

Everyone just puts up with all of this because there's nowhere else to go, especially when these guys get early copies of the games.

Whatever this will be needs an entire overhaul and speedy redesign/app, or else they're just joining a new group with the same old mess.

Fucking ridiculous. Sounds like the same situation that happened at the Escapist which led to a mass Exodus of their YouTube talent.

No matter the ideological differences between Kotaku and GAF, it is wrong to suddenly expect your employees to work to death doing something they do not have experience in doing.

I think you meant to type resetera in the url box. These people were warned repeatedly to stop with the woke garbage and just report on gaming news but like the dumb bastards that they are they felt the need to continue. Now management has given them a new assignment becuase they want them all to quit. They had every chance to avoid this but being woke was more important. Not to mention the countless articles about how awul gamers are. But sure, feel bad for them and defend them. You comment shows they you have no concept of what accountability means.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm from the 70s. Back then, "herb" (silent h) referred to weed. I never heard it used as an insult.

I'm a 80s baby, but I think it's a term that was started in the 90s.

Herb: person without a back-bone. Will fall for anything and do anything for approval. Also known as "a sucka".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never heard of the term Herb either.

My first thought since it's gaming is I thought she was making fun of him. But not based on a societal insult, but based on the Bards Tale summon monster spell called Summon Herb and it's a green goblin guy who shows up.

Kacho

I never heard of the term Herb either.

My first thought since it's gaming is I thought she was making fun of him. But not based on a societal insult, but based on the Bards Tale summon monster spell called Summon Herb and it's a green goblin guy who shows up.
Like mckmas8808 mckmas8808 said, it's old school. Your exposure to it may have depended on where you grew up, but it was definitely a thing for most of us born in the 70s/80s.

That said, it was always a lame insult and still is. That's why most kids used the hard F insult. Way more effective and satisfying.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Like mckmas8808 mckmas8808 said, it's old school. Your exposure to it may have depended on where you grew up, but it was definitely a thing for most of us born in the 70s/80s.

That said, it was always a lame insult and still is. That's why most kids used the hard F insult. Way more effective and satisfying.

But you can use Herb in front of your mother. You can say that other word in front of your moms.

tygertrip

Here she is out in the wild with former Kotaku co-worker Alyssa Mercante. Would any man here approach this table?

bKhXjRM.jpg
Things that make you go 🤮!

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm a 80s baby, but I think it's a term that was started in the 90s.

Herb: person without a back-bone. Will fall for anything and do anything for approval. Also known as "a sucka".

Love that the quirky nerdy pick me lesbians who use outdated slang as a non-conforming middle finger to the establishment or whatever - are the same people who lose their minds on Twitter not understanding that "bloodbath," and "coyotes," have more than one meaning. Racism does, too, funny that. The Actual definition, and the nu-age definition. Good times.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm not sure if it is just that (that is definitely the major part though). Something off about that smile too.

It's the combination of the two. The mouth is a semi-smile, but the eyes have none of the wrinkles you associate with a genuine smile. It's what's called a "social smile," I believe -- meaning that it's fake, nothing genuine about it. Although I'm not suggesting she's a sociopath, sociopaths are famous for smiling in this way. Plus her eyes are bugged out, not natural and relaxed.

It's the big black-rimmed glasses, too. And the skinny, almost frail looking physique (vegan? eating disorder?). The red hair doesn't help, either, as it's stereotypically associated with crazy women.

The whole gestalt just screams modern feminist nutjob.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Whenever I see someone with a septum ring and find they're NOT a weird gender/race bureaucrat, I am shocked.
Dumbest “alternative” fashion trend since all the emos got gauges in the late 90s/early 2000s. What a great way to show the world you’re different and individualistic in exactly the same way as everyone else, while knocking yourself down at least 3 points on the attractiveness scale.

There’s some “how to improve my looks” subreddit, every single time a girl posts pictures with a septum piercing, like 80% of the responses tell her to get the damn bull ring out of her nose, it’s pretty hilarious.

Red5

Yeah but for that to happen there has to be already written guides by people in order for the AI to scrape the data to generate that paragraph, it's not like the AI is going to play the game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

This was a pretty balanced and informative take on it. Tl;dw game guides are potentially very profitable and a viable business model, but Kotaku’s writers are probably fucked and will be out of a job soon.

Saw her photo and knew right away.......... Kotaku has been a joke for a long time and they have focused too much on "Why X is problematic" articles instead of just reviewing games without an agenda.

I love that, if there WERE women in that scene, the grievance article would probably still exist in the form of something like “Why does the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan promote violence against women?”
They always have to find a way to spin things into a negative. They are never satisfied.

Humdinger

That’s what I think of. I still think it's some weird California weed slang.

Totally, dude. That's where I learned it.

Dumbest “alternative” fashion trend since all the emos got gauges in the late 90s/early 2000s. What a great way to show the world you’re different and individualistic in exactly the same way as everyone else, while knocking yourself down at least 3 points on the attractiveness scale.

There’s some “how to improve my looks” subreddit, every single time a girl posts pictures with a septum piercing, like 80% of the responses tell her to get the damn bull ring out of her nose, it’s pretty hilarious.

Yeah, I call them "pig rings." I don't think any guy finds them attractive.

mckmas8808

We are talking about a site that actually wrote this article and no it wasn't April 1st.

XvDtmKI.jpg

OMG......................dude. That maybe one of the worse headlines and openers I've ever read in the history of writing. As bad as when the New York Times paper wrote a story making it seem as if Travis Kelce invented the fade hair cut or that Kim Kardasian made cornrow hairstyle cool.

Mooreberg

This was a pretty balanced and informative take on it. Tl;dw game guides are potentially very profitable and a viable business model, but Kotaku’s writers are probably fucked and will be out of a job soon.

Glad to see someone posted this. Very even handed analysis from a guy with years of real world experience in the "gaming guide" economics. My only point of confusion here is that, unless I misunderstood one of his points, the management is asking for fifty guides per week per employee?? I thought fifty in aggregate was nuts. You can't write a good guide or assemble multiple useful clips in ninety minutes (though an hour to generate a lucrative four minute video is one of his examples, hat tip on the efficiency level there). Either way, I actually find myself agreeing that this almost seems like a contrived mechanism for creating quotas that are impossible to meet, leading to very shoddy pretext for termination, or generating burnout and more voluntary departures. You almost feel bad for them, and then you remember that the path to this particular graveyard was paved with...
We are talking about a site that actually wrote this article and no it wasn't April 1st.

XvDtmKI.jpg

..A decade plus of this shit.

laynelane

XvDtmKI.jpg

What's really annoying about this is they don't speak for women and don't understand that equality isn't going to be achieved by changing historical facts. I've watched in frustration for years while idiots like this do incalculable damage to women and feminism. I'm all for Kotaku pivoting away from this kind of bullshit and this is one of the main reasons why - these fanatics actually damage the very groups they claim to 'represent'.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Glad to see someone posted this. Very even handed analysis from a guy with years of real world experience in the "gaming guide" economics. My only point of confusion here is that, unless I misunderstood one of his points, the management is asking for fifty guides per week per employee?? I thought fifty in aggregate was nuts. You can't write a good guide or assemble multiple useful clips in ninety minutes (though an hour to generate a lucrative four minute video is one of his examples, hat tip on the efficiency level there). Either way, I actually find myself agreeing that this almost seems like a contrived mechanism for creating quotas that are impossible to meet, leading to very shoddy pretext for termination, or generating burnout and more voluntary departures.

Yeah I was confused, I thought they were going for 50 guides total per week, not 50 per writer:

Mister Wolf

Nope.

Herb is old aave that crossed over decades ago.

It's really just a chump or cornball.

Proof? Like all things it comes from somewhere usually a shortened version of another word. I first heard it used on Ms. Fat Booty by Mos Def a 1999 song. I'm aware its older than that. I'm positive it's East coast slang because us black people were not using it out here on the West Coast.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
She doesn’t sound happy about this
She's really telling on herself with the "an" there. Copping slang from black Twitter without ever hearing anyone pronounce it.

Anyway, good on them, they're fucking nuts to try to just pivot the whole site to guides on a dime like that. Transitions like that take time and it's just totally not what Kotaku does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom