• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku EIC Resigns Over New Editorial Edict

Krieger

What's an herb?
b5e6e6e9-11b5-4c69-9797-419a09866db4.png

Kdad

They are being setup to fail. Step 2 is community sourced content "We'll give you $50 if your guide is published on Kotaku". Keep two staff to write news and it's done.
Id just push for constructive dismissal if that's a thing in the US and move on.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Their SJW clickbait/rage bait disguised as “game journalism” ain’t bringing in the clicks & ad impressions that it used to. The situation must be pretty fucking dire for them to attempt such a big change in direction.

This gamble will almost certainly fail + donkey punch the legacy gaming media into further irrelevance. I’m going to open a bottle of champagne the day I read about this shit stain of a website shutting down.

Their SJW clickbait/rage bait disguised as “game journalism” ain’t bringing in the clicks & ad impressions that it used to. The situation must be pretty fucking dire for them to attempt such a big change in direction.

This gamble will almost certainly fail + donkey punch the legacy gaming media into further irrelevance. I’m going to open a bottle of champagne the day I read about this shit stain of a website shutting down.
The collective decision of all game "journalists" to pretend Hogwarts Legacy didn't exist and then it went on to sell 24+ million (and counting) will mark a very important moment in the descent of game "journalism" into extinction. They did it to themselves, by deciding to become low rent political activists instead of cover the popular products in their market

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The collective decision of all game "journalists" to pretend Hogwarts Legacy didn't exist and then it went on to sell 24+ million (and counting) will mark a very important moment in the descent of game "journalism" into extinction. They did it to themselves, by deciding to become low rent political activists instead of cover the popular products in their market
Very true, what a perfect example of their total irrelevance to the gaming community. It’s so ridiculous it sounds like satire.

Humdinger

Would be funny if they ended up writing guides for Hogwart's Legacy. That would be fitting. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If your employees can publicly be racist towards 75% of their clients without repercussion, you deserve to fail.

Still have no idea what this has to do with the EIC being unjustified in not wanting to turn the site into "Game Wiki Site #34596."

poodaddy

Fifty guides a week is pretty insane, not gonna lie.
It is, but I'm legitimately hoping this causes mass firings and lay offs across the board and that eventually the whole goddamn staff is replaced with AI. Yes, I would prefer AI written content over the contributions from these worthless cretins, fuck em, I wanna see the whole staff of Kotaku go down in flames.....so get on those guides if ya wanna keep your jobs ladies/lads/everything in between.
Video Game Steam GIF by 110 Industries

Last edited:

Paltheos

You are probably correct but damned if those types of articles helpful if written well. Since we seem to have COMPLETELY dumped the very concept of game manuals, in game tips or wikis, and now tutorials are just the most basic "left stick to look left" shit these complex subgame heavy titles really need a way to educate the casual player and these guides are valuable for that.

I'm more inclined to think the types of guide management has in mind are the same kind of shovelware nonsense that dominates google hits.

I was just thinking (again) last week about how tough it is these days to find information all in one source these days ala the GameFAQs days. I was trying to 100% Persona 3 Reload and had several tabs from multiple different websites open at once because there was no single source for everything I wanted. And the worst part is that I still felt kind of lucky - Sometimes when I play modern games I can go through a dozen, different websites and as many pages parsing through extremely obvious, surface-level information hoping that I find any of the info that requires any real research and I'll often come up empty. It's gotten bad enough that I've blacklisted allot of websites on my google searches (I think my count is around 50 right now?)

Also, as a guy who's done research before and wrote actual guides, I know how much work goes into making anything actually useful. Makes me all the more doubtful the staff could pump out that much content so quickly.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The 50 guides a week thing is more or less forcing people to quit. It is a way to fire people without doing so directly. Because the woke cancer they are trying to get rid of would be the first ones to sue.
I'm thinking how horrific it must be to work as a writer at a gaming website and have to play games then write down what you did while you were playing.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Fucking ridiculous. Sounds like the same situation that happened at the Escapist which led to a mass Exodus of their YouTube talent.

No matter the ideological differences between them and GAF, you cant suddenly expect to work your employees to death doing something they do not have experience in doing.
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Top Bottom