• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces: Messages from each side

FluxWaveZ

I hope Sonic is dead.

And I want my OC to act as a soldier in the resistance, but actually turn out to be a double agent for Eggman near the end of the game.

sibarraz

Banned
Im having huge flashbacks of that coldsteel video when I hear knuckles talking about a military

That being said. Im curious on how is that eggman conquered most of the world. I really like that when Sega really wants it, they know how to sell him is a big dictator jerk

Toxi

Banned
Im having huge flashbacks of that coldsteel video when I hear knuckles talking about a military

That being said. Im curious on how is that eggman conquered most of the world. I really like that when Sega really wants it, they know how to sell him is a big dictator jerk
No matter how bad the Sonic game, Robotnik/Eggman is always entertaining. He's like the only thing that consistently works in this series, besides the soundtracks of course.

From what I can tell, there are good people on both sides. Fine people, on both sides.
Sonic was really outplayed by that gentleman.

Holy shit "Do you hear me? It's Knuckles, leader of the resistance" fucking killed me
It's actually the first verse of his theme song.

He ran in 2024 after President Kamala.

I"m really looking forward to this. I'm getting the feeling it'll play mostly like colors minus wisps, and I'm okay with that.

That's Eggman's new Japanese voice, right? It's a pretty good match.

If I'm remembering right, some Sega listing said Modern Sonic was also from another dimension. So I guess this is a "Fallen Sonic" timeline?

That's Eggman's new Japanese voice, right? It's a pretty good match.

If I'm remembering right, some Sega listing said Modern Sonic was also from another dimension. So I guess this is a "Fallen Sonic" timeline?

Timeline 5: Young Sonic is slain by Ganonegg in Mobius Castle. Years later, he reincarnated in a doomed world as YOUR OC HERE, with Ganonegg having taken over everything.

Mesoian

I mean it would be. The last decade of 3D Sonic games have been great (barring Boom Boom).

Eh...

I'd say we got 2 good games. Maybe 2 and a half if you count the day stages of unleashed.

Considering how many sonic games there were this past decade....that's not exactly a winning batting average.

Puruzi

Banned
I mean it would be. The last decade of 3D Sonic games have been great (barring Boom Boom).

JUO4Y4S.png

Eh...

I'd say we got 2 good games. Maybe 2 and a half if you count the day stages of unleashed.

Considering how many sonic games there were this past decade....that's not exactly a winning batting average.
Unleashed, Colors, Generations all rejuvenated the franchise, hell even Lost Worlds while flawed I wouldn't call a "bad" game. We also had the two incredible Sonic All-Star games, and Mania a month ago. And Forces doesn't look to stray to far from the successful Boost formula, so it being bad would be a legitimate surprise.

Besides Boom and Sonic 4 Episode 1/2, which were small downloadable titles, it's been more good than bad by a big margin.

Shadio

Goes to show how useless Sonic's friends are. Sonic is defeated and all of them combined can't do anything to stop Eggman taking over the world.

Apparently excluding Green Hill Zone, because even Eggman's probably sick of it too at this point.

Mesoian

Unleashed, Colors, Generations all rejuvenated the franchise, hell even Lost Worlds while flawed I wouldn't call a "bad" game. We also had the two incredible Sonic All-Star games, and Mania a month ago. And Forces doesn't look to stray to far from the successful Boost formula, so it being bad would be a legitimate surprise.

Besides Boom and Sonic 4 Episode 1/2, which were small downloadable titles, it's been more good than bad by a big margin.

I would call lost world a bad game.

Also you are forgetting about Black Knight, secret rings, Riders and the truly terrible Free Riders, and how laughably awful the OTHER half of unleashed is (the werehog stuff is truly abysmal, that game is trash). Hell, in talking about a decade we have just barely edged out Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06.

I'm not about to place the health of the franchise on side projects like Racing Transformed (which is, admittedly, superlative) or Sonic and Mario at the Olympics. The 3D side of things is DIRE, to the point where it very well may ERASE the good well created by Sonic Mania.

Mesoian

Hmm. I thought it was only DA Character. I should have said significantly less usage.... hopefully. Or they make them fun. Cuz I didn't like 'em.

Wisps are fun when the level is made around them, like in colors.

Wisps are not fun when they're just the means to connect one puzzle to another, replacing the speed reward with something that's much less thrilling, like in generations.

Considering Forces seems to be Generations 2...i'm guessing we'll be getting more of the ladder.

I would call lost world a bad game.

Also you are forgetting about Black Knight, secret rings, Riders and the truly terrible Free Riders, and how laughably awful the OTHER half of unleashed is (the werehog stuff is truly abysmal, that game is trash). Hell, in talking about a decade we have just barely edged out Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06.

I'm not about to place the health of the franchise on side projects like Racing Transformed (which is, admittedly, superlative) or Sonic and Mario at the Olympics. The 3D side of things is DIRE, to the point where it very well may ERASE the good well created by Sonic Mania.
It seems really unreasonable to base the quality of something like Forces on things like Rings and Black Night which came out 10 and 9 years ago respectively, especially when the team behind those titles were completely refreshed with new young talent starting with Unleashed, making those games even more irrelevant to the conversation. And I thought the consensus on Riders was actually good on here, just with a steep learning curve is all. Free riders, Like all kinect software was simply stripped down and mediocre sure. We'll have to agree to disagree on Lost World, as with the Werehog portion of Unleashed which at it's worst is a competent GoW-lite, and simply out of place in a Sonic game.

Dire is being dramatic.

Unleashed was bad (the day stages were better than most of the 3D fare before it, but still not good, and the stages get worse and unfairly difficult as you progress), and Colors, Generations and Lost World were just okay. Secret Rings and Black Knight are... Divisive. The spinoffs have wildly different levels of quality. The only truly great Sonic platformer released in a long time, Mania, is one Sonic Team didn't make, regardless of 2D or 3D (and even then, it pisses over Sonic Team's attempts at 2D post-Unleashed).

And Forces looks like an unfocused mess of a game that continues to demonstrate Sonic Team's inability to get over their idiotic paranoia about the attention spans of players. It's been a flagrant trend of theirs starting with Adventure for whatever reason - they can't just stick to a single core gameplay loop and run with it (no pun intended). When people complained about 'Sonic's shitty friends' bogging down gameplay, Sonic Team took the wrong message and proceeded to engineer contrived ways to force their multiple game types on Sonic himself. Forces finally breaks the "Sonic-only" trend, but we end up back at the original problem instead.

Oh, and that's ignoring that the "Boost formula" is shallow as shit. Even Generations only tried to veer away from the hyper-linear corridor crap in a couple of stages - it just doesn't have the depth or flexibility of classic gameplay. Even Lost World, despite its flawed execution, had genuinely good ideas that could've been refined and built upon, but nope, we can't have that, apparently.

Fukuzatsu

Well, looks like another thread to talk about how Sonic Forces looks "so bad" based on incredibly meager amounts of video (in this case, barely even video).

Mesoian

Well, looks like another thread to talk about how Sonic Forces looks "so bad" based on incredibly meager amounts of video (in this case, barely even video).

I won't lie, everytime a new piece of footage of the game is released, my worry is doubled.

Man, I don't even wanna talk about those preorder bonuses...

I want it to be good, but have NO FAITH, absolutely 0, in Sonic Team right now.

TheOGB

Banned
I think there's a way to do this story in an interesting way, and stuff like this is in the right direction.

But considering the rest of what we've seen so far and the fact that we're now less than two months out from release...

I'm hoping whatever will be shown off this week/in the next week or two can lay my fears to rest.

Fukuzatsu

I won't lie, everytime a new piece of footage of the game is released, my worry is doubled.

I understand 3D sonic has a history of not being great, but I'm kind of baffled to hear that people think Generations was bad or only just 'okay'. Admittedly I wasn't on GAF when that game came out, but my impression of the fan reception to that game was pretty positive.

So "slightly-worse Generations 2" is still 'okay' in my book. As for the argument that modern Sonic plays poorly even in Unleashed's day stages, Colours, and/or Generations, I don't know what to say.

Mesoian

I understand 3D sonic has a history of not being great, but I'm kind of baffled to hear that people think Generations was bad or only just 'okay'. Admittedly I wasn't on GAF when that game came out, but my impression of the fan reception to that game was pretty positive.

So "slightly-worse Generations 2" is still 'okay' in my book. As for the argument that modern Sonic plays poorly even in Unleashed's day stages, Colours, and/or Generations, I don't know what to say.

I think Colors and Generations are very good, but they don't play to their strengths, generations especially. Generations is a blast when you can just do each stage end to end and revel in the nostalgia. It's when you get bogged down with the hunting for bells in order to hunt for keys in order to hunt for emeralds in order to finally progress where things become a slog. It's likey they didn't have confidence that people would replay their game so they forced the player to replay stages to add another 4 hours of padding.

Imagine if Generations was a slickly paced as Mania was.

But yes, I think Colors and Generations are really good, and the fact that they went from those, to lost world (which is bad), to boom (which is a joke) baffles me.

Merc_

After five years, if "slightly-worse Generations" is the best they were able to do then that is pretty damn sad. I'm struggling to think of another franchise where such a thing would be seen as acceptable.

It says a lot about the quality that Sonic fans have been trained to accept.

Kinda my position right now. Sonic Team lost the plot when they tried to make 3D games, it took an unmitigated disaster (Sonic 06) to get them sorta back on track but then they veered off again into 'okay' territory.

Compare the desperate pandering (classic sonic's inclusion and the OC maker) to Mania's incredible confidence and charm, it's just so stark.

Sonic is more polished in the new games than the pre-Unleashed titles, but that's really not saying much. Modern Sonic isn't bad, it's just... Shallow. Not much too it other than spectacle, one big series of reaction time challenges with the occasional branching path.

Unleashed, though, I have a special loathing for due to the QTEs (oh hey, lengthy QTEs with unforgiving short time limits, uses every fucking button available and kills you if you fail, HOW FUCKING SWELL) and the later stages basically being unfair as fuck with deaths that are impossible to avoid the first time around unless you happen to be omniscient. Eggmanland in particular is a garbage fire of a stage. That I enjoyed Black Knight more speaks volumes of how much that shit infuriated me.

I think Colors and Generations are very good, but they don't play to their strengths, generations especially. Generations is a blast when you can just do each stage end to end and revel in the nostalgia. It's when you get bogged down with the hunting for bells in order to hunt for keys in order to hunt for emeralds in order to finally progress where things become a slog. It's likey they didn't have confidence that people would replay their game so they forced the player to replay stages to add another 4 hours of padding.

Imagine if Generations was a slickly paced as Mania was.

But yes, I think Colors and Generations are really good, and the fact that they went from those, to lost world (which is bad), to boom (which is a joke) baffles me.
You say you have no faith in Sonic Team, but Boom was a Big Red Button failure, just so we're clear it's silly to expect a similar lack of qualoty from a dev team that had nothing to do with Boom.

poodaddy

After five years, if "slightly-worse Generations" is the best they were able to do then that is pretty damn sad. I'm struggling to think of another franchise where such a thing would be seen as acceptable.

It says a lot about the quality that Sonic fans have been trained to accept.

This. I mean at this point 3D Sonic fans are just happy with what would be considered sub par middling entries by any other notable franchise. Why are you guys happy with taking so little? I don't get it. I mean I could make a barely passable Mario game that Nintendo would never approve and replace all the Mario models with Sonic models and "Sanic" fans would love it.

More Mania please. 3D Sonic can be tossed in the ditch out back and forgotten.

Top Bottom