• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces: Messages from each side

I think Colors and Generations are very good, but they don't play to their strengths, generations especially. Generations is a blast when you can just do each stage end to end and revel in the nostalgia. It's when you get bogged down with the hunting for bells in order to hunt for keys in order to hunt for emeralds in order to finally progress where things become a slog. It's likey they didn't have confidence that people would replay their game so they forced the player to replay stages to add another 4 hours of padding.

Imagine if Generations was a slickly paced as Mania was.

But yes, I think Colors and Generations are really good, and the fact that they went from those, to lost world (which is bad), to boom (which is a joke) baffles me.

I don't know why people keep counting Boom as if it's part of the main series, and blaming Sonic Team for it. Sega contracted an outside (new) developer to make that game, it has nothing to do with Sonic Team. The late Sonic Team's output ranges from great to decent/okay.

This is like playing Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and being disappointed it's not Mario Oddissey.

This. I mean at this point 3D Sonic fans are just happy with what would be considered sub par middling entries by any other notable franchise. Why are you guys happy with taking so little? I don't get it. I mean I could make a barely passable Mario game that Nintendo would never approve and replace all the Mario models with Sonic models and "Sanic" fans would love it.

More Mania please. 3D Sonic can be tossed in the ditch out back and forgotten.
Sorry but speak for yourself. I own most consoles and play most 3D platformers 3D Land, World, Ratchet, Sly, and Sonic sits comfortably up there. This isn't "Sonic fans are blind" like you wish it was, since those games are legitimately good and enjoyable along side most of the 3D platformers of the last several years. No matter how much you wish to pull the revisionist history card which seems to be the trendy thing lately with games like Generations and Colors, it simply won't ring true as both critically and fan wise, those titles were very well recieved. Understand that your assertion lands squarely in the minority.

Frenzy-kun

Neo Member
Well, looks like another thread to talk about how Sonic Forces looks "so bad" based on incredibly meager amounts of video (in this case, barely even video).
Or maybe, and just maybe, the ones who know the saga by heart can identify the flaws in the videos because they had been playing the games for eons and knows from a footage that the physics are off by far, specially compared with a 25+ year old game, level design is plain, specially compared with a 25+ year old game and an already proven thrice formula is extremely limited, specially compared with a 25+ year old game.

Forces is very well described with the first location shown: Park Avenue zone with electronic music in the background. Do you know when you can identify a piece of art even being of a genre you dislike? Cohesion. When you see everything conveying the same message. You know, like a desert zone with sand slopes as main hazard, wavy dune-like terrain shapes and Egyptian folk music, or an "ice cap" that is translated in a frozen cavern with ice resembling music with a high pacing because of the speed oriented situations. Not a park in an avenue with electronic music in the background and in a favelas stage. Cohesion makes you know that there is a vision behind it and a core concept that applies to every corner of the game. Just look at persona 5 as a good example of how a vision drives the whole game, from the gameplay to the small button in the corner of the HUD.

That lack of cohesion is easy to spot everywhere in forces: Green hill: straight platforms. And let's not forget a colorful cartoon character in a realistic desaturated world, something sonic team keep doing since adventure.

It doesn't matter how good the art is (it is) but if there is no cohesion it's easy to notice the lack of direction, the lack of global vision, and overall, the mediocre product it is. That's why mania is a very good product with all its flaws and forces is a bad product no matter the good voice acting and the beautiful landscapes. And that lack of direction and vision applies also to the gameplay. The mixture of game modes is not the sole warning signal of that lack of vision, and it's easy to notice that with forces they are not trying to sell a good game, they are trying to sell sonic. If they made more money selling shoes sonic would be a pair of them.

I think Colors and Generations are very good, but they don't play to their strengths, generations especially. Generations is a blast when you can just do each stage end to end and revel in the nostalgia. It's when you get bogged down with the hunting for bells in order to hunt for keys in order to hunt for emeralds in order to finally progress where things become a slog. It's likey they didn't have confidence that people would replay their game so they forced the player to replay stages to add another 4 hours of padding.

Imagine if Generations was a slickly paced as Mania was.

But yes, I think Colors and Generations are really good, and the fact that they went from those, to lost world (which is bad), to boom (which is a joke) baffles me.

That kind of padding in Generations that you're talking about only added like 1 hour, tops. The missions were also actually pretty well designed overall (I can think of only a handful of duds, which you can skip over anyways).

Goes to show how useless Sonic's friends are. Sonic is defeated and all of them combined can't do anything to stop Eggman taking over the world.

I like how Sonic Adventure had Knuckles fight Chaos the same number of times before the final version. He even fought one version exclusively.

Even Tails fought Chaos 4 though Sonic was there at the time.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I would love if late in the game your OC character can choose to betray the resistance and join Team Eggman.

Make it happen, SEGA.

luulubuu

I hope Sonic is dead.

And I want my OC to act as a soldier in the resistance, but actually turn out to be a double agent for Eggman near the end of the game.

eva-metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-66.7.jpg

[Heavy Betrayin']

mrmickfran

This is my first time hearing Eggman's new Japanese voice after his old one passed away.

He sounds like Franky from One Piece.

Mark1

Sorry but speak for yourself. I own most consoles and play most 3D platformers 3D Land, World, Ratchet, Sly, and Sonic sits comfortably up there. This isn't "Sonic fans are blind" like you wish it was, since those games are legitimately good and enjoyable along side most of the 3D platformers of the last several years. No matter how much you wish to pull the revisionist history card which seems to be the trendy thing lately with games like Generations and Colors, it simply won't ring true as both critically and fan wise, those titles were very well recieved. Understand that your assertion lands squarely in the minority.
So much this. Even if Sonic wasn't attached to the title Colours and Generations would still be considered good games and platformers.

Because they are. They don't play to their maximum like the 3D Mario games do but they are not average titles.

They are good quality titles which can indeed be placed alongside Jak, Ratchet and heck even potentially some of the Mario games.

Mark1

Regarding the OP. This is making me believe the fight with Infinite caused Sonic to be unconscious for a long period of time leading to Eggman seizing the opportunity to overrule the planet.

I further suspect that the Avatar will be tasked to rescue him from Knuckles and co. Classic Sonic will probably be somewhere else and notice Tails is in trouble and rescues him after nearly being kidnapped by Eggman.

This is just a theory. The story feels more interesting anything from the Adventure games onwards. I'm not expecting too class writing. But a decent story that is better than most initially expected.

I hope Sonic is dead.

And I want my OC to act as a soldier in the resistance, but actually turn out to be a double agent for Eggman near the end of the game.
You know they are going to pull a Sonic 06 where they show him get killed but miraculously will be brought back to life via the Choas Emeralds hopefully without a human/hedgehog kiss. Though if they truly stick with Sonic actually staying dead that would be kind of awesome.

Toxi

Banned
You know they are going to pull a Sonic 06 where they show him get killed but miraculously will be brought back to life via the Choas Emeralds hopefully without a human/hedgehog kiss. Though if they truly stick with Sonic actually staying dead that would be kind of awesome.
The only human in this game by the looks of things is Dr. Eggman.

Do we finally get the Sonic X Eggman pairing that's been teased since the first Genesis game?

Puruzi

Banned
I mean, the 2000's had Adventure 2, Shadow, Heroes, 06, Riders and Unleashed.

2010's has Colors, Generations and now Forces. It's a step up.

Colors is the only 3D Sonic game i've enjoyed

I guess I liked one level in Generations

3D Sonic has been pretty shit for me for the most part

Fastrun

Neo Member
I opened the thread to see how'd people react. I don't what I expected. In a way, I can see why, since there are legitimate issues with the 3d games. Being a heretic who enjoyed playing most Sonic games (except 06, Boom, and Lost World), I hope this is good. Nice to see Knuckles being leader of the Resistance. Still wish they didn't have Classic and an OC in it.

Camjo-Z

It seems like... Knuckles is actually competent again!?

I'm slowly getting more hyped for this than I was Mania tbh. Just wish they show more than 2 Zones though.

I hoping they either show a new level or reveal how the game is connected at TGS. Like is there a world map like Colors, a hub area like Generations, etc.

Camjo-Z

When was the last time he was incompetent in the mainline series? He's occasionally oblivious but he hasn't really been a complete loser outside of Sonic Boom.

That's what I mean, it's a nice change of pace from the Boom Knuckles we've had for the past 3 years. He's barely appeared in any mainline games since 06.

Dumb Knuckles > Smart Knuckles

Dumb Knuckles has his moments but I like it better when it's not his only character trait, sort of like how Smart Tails is nice but not when building gadgets and speaking in technobabble is all he does.

Village

wow, what could corrupt tails?

he's so pure

Well the whole explanation was, that he came from a reality where he never met sonic or sonic gave up and he went evil and stuff

IIRC, i remember one back story for tails being he used to hang out with some bullies, and then he met sonic and was like " Oh that's guys cool, imma be a hero" but I don't know hwo you go from being a bully to " masked world domination "

=

Punished Knuckles: An echidna with no chuckles

TBH punished knuckles happened.

It was in a terrible comic , that is arguably one of the worst pieces of sonic media in existence.

But it did happen

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Well the whole explanation was, that he came from a reality where he never met sonic or sonic gave up and he went evil and stuff

IIRC, i remember one back story for tails being he used to hang out with some bullies, and then he met sonic and was like " Oh that's guys cool, imma be a hero" but I don't know hwo you go from being a bully to " masked world domination "

TBH punished knuckles happened.

It was in a terrible comic , that is arguably one of the worst pieces of sonic media in existence.

But it did happen

For some reason, that reminds me of a recent Sonic Boom episode I actually caught (I watch it occasionally) where Sonic entered an alternate dimension where he never existed and Tails was partners/sidekick for Eggman.

Camjo-Z

What in the world is Knuckles of all people doing as the leader of a military organization?

Are you suggesting you would put anyone other than the fighting freak Knuckles in charge? Who else could get the job done, Amy? You KNOW that when the time comes to flex her muscles, she would chuckle.

RRockman

Banned
What in the world is Knuckles of all people doing as the leader of a military organization?

He isn't actually that dumb and is good at getting people reiled up. Having him as leader and Tails as 2nd in command/tactician actually sounds pretty good if you ask me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I would call lost world a bad game.

Also you are forgetting about Black Knight, secret rings, Riders and the truly terrible Free Riders, and how laughably awful the OTHER half of unleashed is (the werehog stuff is truly abysmal, that game is trash). Hell, in talking about a decade we have just barely edged out Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06.

I'm not about to place the health of the franchise on side projects like Racing Transformed (which is, admittedly, superlative) or Sonic and Mario at the Olympics. The 3D side of things is DIRE, to the point where it very well may ERASE the good well created by Sonic Mania.
Man, I just can't agree.

I had a great time with Lost World. It's definitely flawed but the good stages are quite good. I wasn't a fan of some of the gimmicky sections but what was wrong with the majority of stages in your eyes?

Secret Rings was very much a decent game for the time. It's not great but it's not bad. Black Knight, well, I can agree there.

I also think the Werehog stages are actually quite decent...but then again, I also kinda like Knack and Werehog is basically what Knack became.

Man, I just can't agree.

I had a great time with Lost World. It's definitely flawed but the good stages are quite good. I wasn't a fan of some of the gimmicky sections but what was wrong with the majority of stages in your eyes?

Secret Rings was very much a decent game for the time. It's not great but it's not bad. Black Knight, well, I can agree there.

I also think the Werehog stages are actually quite decent...but then again, I also kinda like Knack and Werehog is basically what Knack became.

Secret rings could have been considered the start of the boost series of games instead of unleashed, if only they hadn't bogged it down with those damned forced motion controls.

Village

Are you suggesting you would put anyone other than the fighting freak Knuckles in charge?.

Eh yeah.
Tails
Anyone from team dark if they weren't doing this weird story thing
Vector
Espio
A rock

it was a ken penders comic wasn't it

I don't actuallly know who started it, because the " how man plus years in the future arc" being continued is the fault of multiple people

But its that arc, its the future arc. Where sonic's a king and knuckles has a robot eye. Its... really bad, its really bad, portrays everyone terribly and is one two comic arcs I strait up consider to some of the absolute worst sonic media to come out period, completely inappropriate for the audience along with just generally being sexist and kinda fucked up.

So I can't tell if its penders's fualt, but he probably participated in it. Ian even tried to salvage it, it still wasn't great. Thank god for that reboot.

jcjimher

The only thing that could save this game (story-wise) is if it all ends up being a parody. Sort of like the Starship Troopers movie...

Gameplay-wise I think it has no saving unless the videos that have been published to date are extremely unrepresentative of the rest of the game...

Mesoian

Man, I just can't agree.

Lost world day stages start strong but become real messes the further the game goes on because Sonic Team, at the time, didn't really know how to amp up the difficulty without basically creating a lot of traps that you have to know about before hand to avoid. When Mania came out, everyone who plays a sonic game like a mario game and is super obsessive about seeing every little bit of the game in a single pass through constantly complained about things like bottomless pits or spikes, things that hinder your progress but don't end your game. Unleash's day stages in the back half of hte game hinge on game failure states that you simply have to crash against over and over, the game seeking absolute perfection. It's a revised take on the issue of the speed rush stages from Sonic 06, laying the idea of the uncompromised speed at the player's feet in lew of good stage design. Colors fixes this, and Generations expands upon the greater level design for the new modern sonic sections for each zone.

But the werehog stuff literally ignores every character action game produced in the past 20 years in order to make something sloppy, repetitive, clunky and confusing. There is not a single good piece of game design in the night stages, not one. The camera is bad, the platforming is bad, the combat is bad, the traversal is bad, the enemy design and behavior is bad, the voice over is EXTREMELY bad. Not every game has to be Devil may Cry or Bayonetta, but if you're going to make a 3rd person combat game, you have to get that shit together.

Even if you like the day stages a lot, none of them are worth slogging through the terrible night stages. That game is irredeemable and I'm shocked, LITERALLY SHOCKED, that anyone would come to its defense.

Secret Rings is....uninspired, let's say, but at least it's not painful to play. Black Knight...just no.

And I think that's sort of the real issue here. People are getting on me with the fact that the two sonic games after generations weren't sonic team proper. Duh, that's not the point, the point is after coming off two games that were generally liked (I know plenty of people who don't like colors or generations, those games are not nearly as beloved as you think they are) Sega of Japan decided to abandon that direction which was working in order to waste time chasing mario again with Lost World, and then to just sell out to mass marketing appeal with Boom. It's the constant shifting of direction that fails this franchise. They don't stick with what works.

Sonic Mania was a success because it went back to a time where people knew Sonic WORKED, not that it was good or bad, but that it was functional. I have seen nothing in Forces that tells me that it's going back to a formula that works; if anything, everything that I've seen seems to be tailored around a lot of customization efforts that are taking away from what made Colors and Generations special. I can't help but look at the footage from the custom character examples and think that the game is being tailored around THAT, and the sonic gameplay is going to take a pretty hard back seat.

Forces feels like a game someone else was making that, one day, was decided to be turned into a sonic game. Time will tell, we'll know in a month, but I don't look at forces and say, "wow, yes, going back to what made this series great," I see a whole bunch of quick nostalgia cash-ins while trying to directly cater to what the sonic fandom evolved into after 2.5/11 good sonic games over the course of the past 15 years, which is people trying desperately to put their own personal spin on the sonic formula in order to save it from itself. And I don't think that's going to work.

As of right now, if you ask me, the sonic franchise doesn't have a future unless Taxman is at the helm. If that doesn't happen, then sonic may as well just become a Mario side character as he'll be in better hands. Like, real talk, the fact that the general prediction for this game from the gaming collective is more dumb bullshit akin to 06 or a gleeful wonderful tragedy like the Sonic Mania announce stream should be telling. I don't have faith in sega to make this work, and neither does the grand majority of people because their track record with sonic is just plain bad, and it's harder and harder to look back to Generations or Colors or half of unleashed with hopeful eyes when they are just as willing to go down a road that makes them literal laughing stocks.

Sega has been fucking up. FUCKING UP!

I hope Sonic is dead.

Here's hoping Sonic Team pulls a 180 and Forces turns out to be a M-rated gorefest where Sonic is brutally killed in the opening cinematic. All while maintaining the pleasant atmosphere of traditional Sonic 3D levels.

Lost world day stages start strong but become real messes the further the game goes on because Sonic Team, at the time, didn't really know how to amp up the difficulty without basically creating a lot of traps that you have to know about before hand to avoid. When Mania came out, everyone who plays a sonic game like a mario game and is super obsessive about seeing every little bit of the game in a single pass through constantly complained about things like bottomless pits or spikes, things that hinder your progress but don't end your game. Unleash's day stages in the back half of hte game hinge on game failure states that you simply have to crash against over and over, the game seeking absolute perfection. It's a revised take on the issue of the speed rush stages from Sonic 06, laying the idea of the uncompromised speed at the player's feet in lew of good stage design. Colors fixes this, and Generations expands upon the greater level design for the new modern sonic sections for each zone.

Um... Lost World is the Wii U game. You're thinking of Unleashed.

Top Bottom