• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(09-29-2017, 07:49 AM)
Cuphead reviews are hitting, so let's get the ballrolling.

Cuphead Xbox One Metacritic - 86/100
Cuphead PC Metacritic - 90/100
Cuphead Opencritic - 87/100

Video Review from GAF's own SlasherJPC: Buy It!
ACG (GAF'ers own Karak) Video Review - Buy

Destructoid - 9.5/10

Cuphead's incredible style belies its magical complexity. It's so much more than a hard-as-hell shoot-'em-up with artistic flair. It's cerebral in a way that these kind of games rarely are. Cuphead's commitment to forcing the player to understand is commendable. Those who don't have the patience to learn won't get far. That's the kind of stand-your-ground moxie that makes this a hallmark of game design. My praise runneth over.

Games Radar - 5/5

Yes, Cuphead was worth the wait. Too often, I find myself thinking "Thank God I never have to do that again" after wrapping up a difficult game - but with Cuphead, I'm mighty excited to further my eight-to-nine-hour Regular run and trounce those bosses in an Expert encore. If you're partial to a tough-but-fair challenge, and you have even the slightest appreciation for the rich history of animated cartoons, you'll be overjoyed by the wonderfully artistic adventure that is Cuphead. Maybe you'll even get a blistered thumb or two to remember it by.

Gamespot - 8/10

Cuphead has been a longtime coming, and it's great to see that it lives up to its initial promises. It's beautiful to look at, and with a pitch-perfect soundtrack, it flawlessly captures the era its developers so clearly revere. It's also an intense action game that pulls no punches. It could benefit from a few tweaks, and two-player co-op doesn't feel like the valuable addition you might imagine, but Cuphead remains a rare, unique game that truly stands out.

IGN Spain - 9/10

(TRANSLATED) Beautiful and hard as hell, but as rewarding as you should imagine. Cuphead is one of the best indie games on 2017 and if you love run-n-gun games you shall not miss it.

Polygon - 8.5/10

Cuphead’s deal with the devil eventually leads to hell, and so perhaps it’s fitting the conclusion should be so torturous. Though, honestly, even the residual headache has been soothed by the sweet, sweet salve of victory. When I think of my time with Cuphead, instead of frustration I’ll remember the dozens of tiny breakthroughs, when the impossible became possible, and a game that built an identity around difficulty helped me to feel, however briefly, undefeatable.

Press Start Australia - 9/10

It's a bit unfair to compare Cuphead to almost any other of the brutally tough platformers I've grown to love recently, as it lacks the filler. It gets straight to the good stuff and gives us an almost 'greatest hits' of boss fights. And if they don't get better and more rewarding as they go, I'll go eat. So while you've still got to be a masochist at heart to get through the 'true' Cuphead, people of all ages and backgrounds would be able to sit in front of the television and appreciate Cuphead for its sense of style and its ability to evoke that childlike wonder that was, until now, dormant in most of us.

Shacknews - 8/10

But the best part about Cuphead is that the challenge feels attainable. It's the right kind of frustration, the kind that makes a person feel like they can prevail if they just try one more time. It's easy for this type of game to feel cheap, but it never feels impossible. It's a gorgeous piece of work and a cup that feels better on repeated sips.

Stevivor - 8/10

In the end, Cuphead proves to be everything I wanted it to be — challenging, stylised and fun. It’s a tough, tough game — but unlike Dark Souls, my failures in Cuphead made me want to keep playing. Bring it on.

MSPoweruser - 9/10

Overall, Cuphead is an absolutely fantastic adventure because it combines tight mechanics with stunning visuals. There’s nothing like it on any platform and if you love challenging titles which require practice, then this is the game for you. However, not everyone will enjoy it because of the steep difficulty. Everything about the title—from the platforming to the boss battles—is a challenge which may frustrate many. As alluded to earlier, if you’re willing to put in the time and effort, there’s just nothing that’s more rewarding. Despite all that, the real star of the show here are the visuals because the 1930s animation elevates this game from a standard run-and-gun platformer to an absolutely mesmerizing experience.

Twinfinite - 3/5

Still, there is a game worth enjoying in here, if you can deal with periodic frustration. During encounters that are fully defined it’s easy to get stuck admiring everything that StudioMDHR has created, and it was more than a good enough reason to turn my Xbox One on. It’s because of those parts that are so good that it’s really difficult to ignore the glaring issues. If you’re in dire need of a real challenge, definitely give Cuphead your attention. However, if you’re not in any rush there’s no harm in waiting. I look forward to seeing how the developers deal with this project and how they expand on it in the future.

Windows Central - 4.5/5

Cuphead is an instant classic that will build a solid fanbase across Xbox One and Windows PCs, and hopefully, spawn bigger and bolder sequels in the years to come. Amazing job, Studio MDHR.

True Achievements - 4/5

Cuphead is likely to reveal its deliberate frustrations too late for some people. It's hard not to become infatuated with the game's visuals, leaving uninformed buyers lured in by those blatant strengths to discover only then that it revels in its own relentlessness. This, in turn, could leave some wanting a refund and needing a new controller or two. However, for those that go into it with a co-op partner and with the knowledge that its design is as unforgiving as it is beautiful, it will be a unique and rewarding game. Always unabating but never unfair, Cuphead is tough to overcome but even tougher to put down.

SpazioGames - 8.5/10

(TRANSLATED) Cuphead is a hardcore game with a beautiful art design that recalls the classic cartoons of the '30s. Based on splendid boss fights and with some "run and gun" levels, MDHR Studios' game is challenging and satisfying.

Area Jugones - 10/10

(TRANSLATED) Cuphead is a true piece of art of the modern day videogame. The game has lived up to the expectations and it is full with detail and quality in every aspect. From its soundtrack to its wonderful design, Studio MDHR has achieved the glory with this masterpiece.

Multiplayer.it - 9.2/10

Trusted Reviews - 4/5

It’s almost needless to say that the visuals are incredible, creating a stunning run-and-gun boss battler that looks straight out of 1930s ‘toons. In fact, the presentation, the audio, the music and the general vibe are unbelievable. Cuphead will be too tough for some players, and you’d have to look to the likes of Nioh or Dark Souls to find something as brutal and unforgiving. It’s going to take some serious skill and experience to beat those bosses, but Cuphead keeps on bringing you back for more until you do.

Daily Mirror - 5/5

It’s not reinventing the wheel, but underneath Cupheads’s gleeful and gorgeous cartoonish exterior lies an addictive and fierce adventure delivering a level of challenge that, much like the game’s gambling Devil, convinces you to have another roll of the dice and see how far you can make it.

Hoby Consalas - 90/100

(TRANSLATED) An exquisite work of craftmanship in almost every aspect. You will recover the faith in classic gameplay. Be carefoul, tough, it's not a game for the less patient.

Nerd Much - 8.6/10

Cuphead is a brilliant little game that is unique right down to its core, with a (mostly) welcomed challenge and beautiful aesthetics. Its individuality shouldn’t be ignored, and if you’re looking for a challenging and rewarding game that won’t take you too long to master, Cuphead is a great choice.

CGM - 9/10

As someone who studied classical animation, I fully appreciate the amount of love, respect and work that StudioMDHR put into their game, and there really isn’t much to criticise. It’s nearly flawless. I could ramble on and on about Cuphead, using animation jargon, but instead, just go play it. While it is difficult to recommend this to players who may not possess the skill level required, Cuphead is stunning, unique and incredibly delightful. It’s a challenge, but one players will keep striving to conquer. No matter how many times cups are broken, players will feel drawn to return. So for those

Generacion Xbox - 9.5/10

Cuphead is as difficult as fun, as beautiful as it is addictive, a game with which it is impossible to get angry even though we will fail over and over and over again. Deal with the devil.

Financial Post - 8.5/10

And that sense of satisfaction isn’t our only reward. Defeating enemies unlocks new areas to explore and new levels to conquer, which means we’re treated to more of this game’s extraordinary animation and music. And, when all is said and done, these are the things for which Cuphead will rightfully be remembered.

imgmr - 8.9/10

Cuphead is a great looking game that exploits basic jump and shoot mechanics and hitboxes. Just like classic Mega Man games. Every mistake you make is technically your own fault for not being at the right place, or for not shooting the right target. Cuphead is punishing like that, and that is what makes it so difficult and challenging as a game. It is also where it gets its charm, well with that and the carefully crafted 1930s layered hand-drawn design. Remember, no matter how hard, never give up!

I'll update as more reviews come in for the first few hours, and will try to keep the synopsis in until I run out of OP character room.
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 09-29-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Tabasco
(09-29-2017, 07:51 AM)
Can't wait to play it!
BouncyFrag
(09-29-2017, 07:52 AM)
Here we go!!
Conor_Fool
(09-29-2017, 07:53 AM)
Thought this was a midnight release! Bummed I can't play this or my SNES classic quite yet. Can't wait to play and looking forward to checking out some reviews
Novocaine
(09-29-2017, 07:54 AM)
Something to read while I wait for the game to unlock in 6 hours. Letís go!

BTW 11pm game unlock is dumb 👎
nekkid
It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
At first I was confused why imgur had moved into gaming reviews.
J@hranimo
Caught some more gameplay from Dashie on youtube. Game is looking great, looking forward to seeing the reviews...not that it matters, but to see how others fare with the game.
VanCityGamer
(09-29-2017, 07:55 AM)
Quick Meta score predictions? I'm raising my score from the other day based on more recent impressions.

I'll go with 84.

Very good game.
GarciaHotspur
Banned
Reviews don't matters. I will buy it
Liliana Eileen
Indie GOTY
Dusk Golem

Originally Posted by VanCityGamer

Quick Meta score predictions? I'm raising my score from the other day based on more recent impressions.

I'll go with 84.

Very good game.

I'm going high and betting 86-87.

5 minutes until the flood gates.

Originally Posted by GarciaHotspur

Reviews don't matters. I will buy it

Had it pre-ordered since it became pre-orderable on Steam, but I like following reviews for the critical consensus rather than my personal enjoyment or purchasing decisions (with a few exceptions), but Cuphead I already pretty much know I'll enjoy for its gameplay, local co-op, and gorgeous art style and music.
overcast
(09-29-2017, 07:56 AM)
I think it'll hit 85 on metacritic.
VanCityGamer
(09-29-2017, 07:56 AM)

Originally Posted by GarciaHotspur

Reviews don't matters.

Excellent contribution to a review thread.
Mass_Pincup
(09-29-2017, 07:59 AM)
Going for that 88 meta.
Artanisix
There are two things I'll never do,
Ellen Page and IHL2
(09-29-2017, 08:00 AM)
ITS 12 WHERE ARE THEY
styl3s
(09-29-2017, 08:00 AM)
Have it preordered on pc and Xbox i cannot freaking wait. As for predictions I am going to go with a 85 overall meta
ridley182
aka Mister Chef
(09-29-2017, 08:01 AM)
Revues whur
VanCityGamer

Originally Posted by Artanisix

ITS 12 WHERE ARE THEY

It's funny, for AAA games they also seem to hit right on the dot.
RespectThySole
83 meta
SlasherJPC
Here is mine This Just-in Gaming Cuphead Review - Rated a BUY!
MetalliCabombination
Banned
86 go
mindsale
Glad to have insomnia now. Really looking forward to some Cuphead reviews.
SimpleCRIPPLE
(09-29-2017, 08:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Artanisix

ITS 12 WHERE ARE THEY

Seriously. I was already bummed it wasn't 9pm PST.
Shancake
Our review is live! Brutal and beautiful!

https://press-start.com.au/reviews/x...tal-beautiful/
chadskin
Destructoid 9.5/10 - https://www.destructoid.com/review-cuphead-463873.phtml
GamesRadar 5/5 - http://www.gamesradar.com/cuphead-review/
Retro Edge
Banned
(09-29-2017, 08:04 AM)
I think it will hit 80.

Watched live gameplay on Gamescom and it looked like you just do the same thing over and over again, specially the bosses looked like everyone has the same scheme. Turned me a bit off, which is a shame because it looks freaking amazing.
Magic Mushroom
(09-29-2017, 08:04 AM)
http://www.gamesradar.com/cuphead-re...gn=buffer_grtw

Five out of five from Gamesradar +.
momshotdad
(09-29-2017, 08:05 AM)

Originally Posted by chadskin

DAMN
MidnightCowboy
At what hour can this be purchased
Karak
Mine for ACG Rated it a Buy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owqd61etEoc

Pros
It is almost across the board spectacular

Cons
I don't know. No one would play with me.
Last edited by Karak; 09-29-2017 at 08:08 AM.
BananasWithGuns
Dang, crazy good scores so far.
ridley182
aka Mister Chef
2017: WITNESS ME *sprays face*
Backfoggen
(09-29-2017, 08:06 AM)
Buying the video game now.
zsynqx
Looks like another GOTY contender
Farsi
Awesome, canít wait to play it tomorrow. Looks like the years of work paid off big time. Grats to the devs, animators and just the team in general
Aters
(09-29-2017, 08:07 AM)
I need this to be good.
Tagg9
(09-29-2017, 08:08 AM)
Yay! All that dev time paid off!
Liliana Eileen
(09-29-2017, 08:08 AM)

Originally Posted by chadskin

SWEET JESUS
ThoseDeafMutes
Four naan Jeremy? Four? That's insane.
(09-29-2017, 08:09 AM)
Teeth will be pleased with the reception
saltyramen
Welp seen enough of the early scores to justify day 1 purchase. Wonít read anymore
Mdk7
Sequel dreams killed
by Graham Hopper
Unfortunately I wasn't be able to review the game in time, considering I was sent the review code less than two days ago.
That said, I had an intense multiplayer session yesterday evening and... it's fucking awesome.
Shambalakan
Expected good reviews. This game looks fantastic!
momshotdad
(09-29-2017, 08:10 AM)
My dreams have come true.
VanCityGamer
(09-29-2017, 08:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Liliana Eileen

SWEET JESUS

Pretty amazing, but then 3 much lower reviews posted below that.
Iced_Eagle
(09-29-2017, 08:11 AM)
Was waiting for reviews before I bought, and now I bought it!

So excited to play this tomorrow.

Congrats to the team on one of the most well executed game styles ever. Hand drawn animations, actual watercolor backgrounds and live jazz band recordings.

Hopefully the OST gets put up soon as well.
Dusk Golem
(09-29-2017, 08:12 AM)

Two 8/10's and an 8.5/10 is not 'much lower'.
bombshell
Twinfinite - 3/5

Trueachievements - 4/5
Liliana Eileen

8/10 is much lower? Can't tell if serious.
VanCityGamer

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

An 8/10 is not 'much lower'.

Quite literally it is much lower than 100 and 90.

Amazing scores but not quite "sweet Jesus" levels. That's all. Relax a little :)