• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Review Thread

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

xviper

why some people are complaining about the scores ?? there is only like 10 scores so far

84 is a really good score for a boss rush game, i was hoping it will score 85+, but that is still good

don't expect the game to be like Ori or Salt and sanctuary level of amazing, it's just a boss rush game with a unique art style, and don't forget that there is a HUGE flaw, no online

i'm still thinking about buying it, even if i don't like it, i just want to play something on my Dust box one

This is supposed to be a very difficult game in a relatively niche genre and in an old-school mold. That anyone would expect 'perfect scores across the board' is hilarious. It was always going to be, at the very least, frustratingly hard to some reviewers. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, it looks like a great one, but not necessarily one with literally universal appeal.

Rhoc

This year is absolute bonkers. So many great games end of the year list will be really hard for me I think.

This is supposed to be a very difficult game in a relatively niche genre and in an old-school mold. That anyone would expect 'perfect scores across the board' is hilarious. It was always going to be, at the very least, frustratingly hard to some reviewers. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, it looks like a great one, but not necessarily one with literally universal appeal.

The flip side of this is that good reviews aren't necessarily an accurate representation of what "hardcore" fans of the genre (ie; not most reviewers) will think at the end of the day. Same is true for a lot of genres, though, so it's hardly a point specific to this game!

But, I do agree that a very hard run and gun was never going to get perfect scores across the board. I was actually bracing myself for a more mixed reception.

Fun review thread so far though ;)

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Gurish

Those scores are great, it's not easy in this genre to score a 9+, especially in this gen, 84 is awesome and I'm sure it's one of the best 2D shoot em up you can play today.

Dusk Golem

Gurish

Keep in mind Metacritic is also scaled to certain sites and some of the 'big hitters' like IGN haven't posted their review yet, so that 84 can easily go up/down based on that.

IGN Spain gave it a 9/10, so when that review gets counted we'll maybe see a MC bump up to 85, but the final consensus is still up there as several reviewers have stated due to not finishing the game in time their reviews will be late.

Alright, noted :)

So we should wait to see how it turned up.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
To be honest, that's a question you should be asking yourself.

I’m not the one being needlessly over sensitive. Looking for arguments and a desire for conflict is usually a sign of some deeper concerns.

down 2 orth

Happy to see this game reviewing well. That art style blew a lot of us away, but it wouldn't have meant anything without solid gameplay.

danowat

Banned
Just watching ACG's video, hoooolleee shite, the game is utterly gorgeous, I think it has surpassed Rayman Legends as the best looking game I've seen to date.

The only thing I don't like the look of, although I understand why it's there, is the 8 way firing.

Not

Banned
I need to get a goddamn PS4

I need to get whatever this is on

GOD the no port-begging rule is haaaaaard sometimes

I just really want to play thisssss

Xbox, huh?

GHG

I’m not the one being needlessly over sensitive. Looking for arguments and a desire for conflict is usually a sign of some deeper concerns.

Hey I'm not the one attempting to dismiss a review with a one word quip because it happens to score the game lower than most other outlets. New reviewers pop up all the time and they should be judged solely on the quality of their writing and reasoning, rather than whether they scored "hot new game you haven't played enough to judge yet" highly or not.

But thank you for your concern.

bombshell

Hey I'm not the one attempting to dismiss a review with a one word quip because it happens to score the game lower than most other outlets. New reviewers pop up all the time and they should be judged solely on the quality of their writing and reasoning, rather than whether they scored "hot new game you haven't played enough to judge yet" highly or not.

But thank you for your concern.

It's not even a new review outlet, they have 615 reviews on Metacritic. http://www.metacritic.com/publication/twinfinite?filter=games

Pretty amazing, but then 3 much lower reviews posted below that.

Quite literally it is much lower than 100 and 90.

Amazing scores but not quite "sweet Jesus" levels. That's all. Relax a little :)

Holy smokes, people. The difference between 95/100 and 80 is quite a bit in my humble opinion. No need for so much snark. From GOTY contender to great game. Nothing wrong with that.

ReyDTOJ.gif

Who asked you?

Top Bottom