• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Review Thread

bombshell

I don't see any 5.0 or 6.0 reviews, so far. Because "much lower" must mean that, right?

There's a 3/5 = 6/10, that mentions a bug-filled experience, which detracted from the score.

http://twinfinite.net/2017/09/cuphead-review/
During my time with Cuphead, though, I did come across quite a few bugs which forced me to restart entire levels (and it’s very difficult to let go of your progress in that way). The most prevalent issues that popped up for me were infinite bosses and a weird jump glitch that left me spinning endlessly in the air. The infinite boss glitch would have a fight continue forever no matter how much damage was done. The jump glitch also created an endless boss, but it wasn’t because the game stopped registering damage, I simply couldn’t move at all when this happened and was left spinning at the top of the screen.

Glad to hear the game is decent, it certainly played well enough when I played it last week, but it's sometimes hard to tell from a demo if the full game will hold up.

BeeDog

Sounds like a really good game. Gotta say, these massively delayed games that have been released in recent times have turned out surprisingly well, I have to say!

Will probably snag this when I get a new PC by the end of the year.

MUnited83

For you.
Holy smokes, people. The difference between 95/100 and 80 is quite a bit in my humble opinion. No need for so much snark. From GOTY contender to great game. Nothing wrong with that.
In that case GOTY contender haven't ever existed in the history of videogames.

On a 10 point scale, one point less cannot possibly be 'much lower'. It's objectively the least amount 'lower' it could be... But if you want to compare apples and oranges and hypothetical percentages or compare a 10-point scale with a site that uses half points or even 5 stars or half-stars etc...

Seriously, nonsense like this is why scoreless reviews are a thing.

People seem pretty hostile toward somebody just pointing out that some of the reviews gave a lower score.

The internet is a strange place, within a few minutes my video already had 4 thumbs down, and well only could have come from one forum :p It is what it is.

Maximus P

People seem pretty hostile toward somebody just pointing out that some of the reviews gave a lower score.

It was the 'much lower' comment that seems to have people questioning.

Let's not devalue his comments as just pointing out lower scores.

Artanisix

from polygon:

Sadly, there’s no better reminder of why video games have largely scrapped the classic boss fight than the final two battles in Cuphead. ... And the final [boss] ... well, I won’t go into details, but it felt like a battle with the game itself.

uh oh
bc_eyes.gif

1. The defense force was always going to be strong with this one. People have waited so long and want it to be good so badly.

2. The original post that started it was a big hyperbolic, but nothing out of the ordinary for this board. There was a bit of an overreaction.

And? Do you have an issue with an opinion?

Stop taking reviews so seriously. You're embarrassing yourself.

Plus Knack 2 was pretty good. Most wouldn't know though. Man Cuphead is like hard to take my eyes off of, even after playing it and reviewing it. It's just so charming.

kodecraft

Dusk, I thought you were all about dat horror game life. What you doing over here?

J/k

Game is reviewing well. Already pre-ordered and ready to go. Glad this game isn't just cotton candy from a visual standpoint.

GHG

Looks like it's a great game, should be good fun.

I'll grab it on steam when I'm back home.

Hanmik

Kids.. remember where the milk comes from... and enjoy life instead of fighting over a score for a great game..

ZLhcCUZ.gif

oti

Banned
Sounds great. 🤗
I'll definitely get it down the line. Right now I've got other games to play.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

I'm still praying that this bodes well for BELOW...

I would be so happy if that was the case.

I've waited so long for Cuphead and Below. Cuphead looks like it's going to deliver. Below is next up (from E3 they still said they're aiming for 2017). I hope they made it Play Anywhere as well like Cuphead.

angelic

Banned
I wish them well, they definitely deserve it, I'm not sure releasing in Q4 with all the big hitters was the best choice though.

Congrats to the team at Studio MDHR, looks like you have a critical hit on your hands here, unfortunately im just heading into the office but I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend :)

So irritated at the weird unlock time on Xbox for this. Was buying regardless but the quality reviews seal the deal for me.

Top Bottom