• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials reign cut short - Generation Z are the largest population group in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Generation-Z-iGeneration-post-Millennials-what-is-12216808.php

While Millennials often receive the bulk of media derision attention, they actually no longer make up the largest proportion of the US population.

Those toast-splurging young adults, who have been inventively hated on for years, are only the second-largest generation in the United States these days.

The largest generation is actually called Generation Z, or "Post Millennials," or "iGeneration," depending on who you talk to.
Many are just going with "iGen" for short. iGen recently made headlines when a 40-year study found that this generation is avoiding alcohol, sex and driving more than any previous wave of humanity (Yes, the study is older than the generation).

Jean Twenge, a professor of psychology at San Diego State and widely cited author on Generation Z, defines iGen as the generation born in the years between 1995 and 2012, meaning that the oldest iGen members are 22, and the youngest are five. Like Millennials, social scholars have plucked out several traits that seem to characterize the generation. In addition to the relative abstinence, the group is known for libertarian political leanings and a willingness to attend church.

Although it was commonly believed that individuals born in the late 1990s were Millennials, Twenge noticed in 2017 that there were "big shifts in teens' behavior and attitudes" in the early 2010s, leading her to believe that the cutoff between Millennials and iGen should actually be around 1995, as opposed to 2000. Other research groups have suggested a similar cutoff around 1995, with a cutoff somewhere between 2009 and 2013.

Twenge does not believe that the term Generation Z label will stick, since "if Millennials aren't called Generation Y, Generation Z doesn't work."

Other names that have been tried on this group include"Centennials" and the "Homeland Generation," but neither of the two have gained much traction.

kirblar

Although it was commonly believed that individuals born in the late 1990s were Millennials, Twenge noticed in 2017 that there were "big shifts in teens' behavior and attitudes" in the early 2010s, leading her to believe that the cutoff between Millennials and iGen should actually be around 1995, as opposed to 2000.
Yuuuuup.

"Older Millenials" are really just Millenials. They're a smaller generation sandwich between Gen X and the kids who can't remember a pre-cell phone, pre-9/11 era.

I guess they can look forward to bearing the brunt of Gen X's retirement woes just as Millennials are going to bear the brunt of Baby Boomers.

Xe4

Banned
We did it ya'll. We're no longer the problem anymore!

In old man yells at cloud voice: "Damn gen z, ruining everything! Them with their zim zams and boobity flops, back in my day we had to work for what we earned. Them folks nowendays are so entitled."

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The only punching down on millenials has always been ridiculous. I remember when my sister mocked me about it and I told her she was a millenial too (There's a 6 year difference between us). You could see in that moment the stages of grief and the shattering of a worldview.

KoopaTheCasual

i like iGeneration instead of Generation Z. It makes more sense with the domination and influence of apple over youth and social culture.

kirblar

So the reign was cut short by shifting 5 years worth of people across categories?
There was a really, really blatant shift w/ kids born in the beginning of the '90s vs the end due to technology and other factors. The former lined up with the '80s kids, the latter were something new.

Xe4

Banned
Though I'm technically gen z... shit.
It should start at the beginning of the milennium, what is this shit.

let's try to avoid calling them lazy, entitled snowflakes like our predecessors did to us
Nah. It's like a rite of passage. First you get called lazy do nothing, entitled snowflakes, then you do the calling of them as lazy, entitled, snowflakes.

like the 2000 cut off better than 1995.

late 90s kids still remember pre-iphone pre-social media days which is the dividing line between the 2 generations. 2000 kids don’t

ChrisD

No, I need the milennial blame and disdain to continue so I can throw it into my older brother's face (way older than me but still a milennial) when he inevitably slips and throws the blame card on the generation.

The only punching down on millenials has always been ridiculous. I remember when my sister mocked me about it and I told her she was a millenial too (There's a 6 year difference between us). You could see in that moment the stages of grief and the shattering of a worldview.

Basically I want to see this, but with my brother

dabig2

" In addition to the relative abstinence, the group is known for libertarian political leanings and a willingness to attend church. "

How the fuck did we let this happen. HOW THE FUCK DID WE LET THIS HAPPEN?

Hindl

let's try to avoid calling them lazy, entitled snowflakes like our predecessors did to us
Our predecessors didn't say that. Baby Boomers did. They did the same thing to Gen Xers, calling them lazy directionless drifters. Fuck Baby Boomers
Though I'm technically gen z... shit.
It should start at the beginning of the milennium, what is this shit.
I was born in 92 but kids even 3-4 years younger than me had a completely different experience growing up

Ahasverus

As someone who reguary dates people from 1995, a person from that year and one born in, say, 2003 have NOTHING in common.

Joeku

To be fair, it still wasn't us that ruined the world for them so we don't need to deflect the blame from ourselves..

And "iGeneration" is a bit tryhard as a term.

FZZ

Banned
Wtf

Am I some cross hybrid generation, my entire life I've lived being a millennial but now they're saying Gen Z starts in 95? Gtfo

Like Millennials, social scholars have plucked out several traits that seem to characterize the generation. In addition to the relative abstinence, the group is known for libertarian political leanings and a willingness to attend church.

What the hell?!

The new generation is already screwed!

KoopaTheCasual

" In addition to the relative abstinence, the group is known for libertarian political leanings and a willingness to attend church. "

How the fuck did we let this happen. HOW THE FUCK DID WE LET THIS HAPPEN?
Lol, we dun fucked up.

An entire generation of Rand Pauls. Exciting times ahead.

Mechazawa

iGen recently made headlines when a 40-year study found that this generation is avoiding alcohol, sex and driving more than any previous wave of humanity

Like Millennials, social scholars have plucked out several traits that seem to characterize the generation. In addition to the relative abstinence, the group is known for libertarian political leanings and a willingness to attend church.

More like Generation Lame.

kirblar

Looking around it looks like part of what's happened is that they've cut Gen X off a lot earlier than they used to and people born in the late '70s are actually getting pulled into the Millenial group now as well.

Wtf

Am I some cross hybrid generation, my entire life I've lived being a millennial but now they're saying Gen Z starts in 95? Gtfo

Smartphones were everywhere by the time you entered high school. You couldn't possibly relate to the before times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom