• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials reign cut short - Generation Z are the largest population group in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
" In addition to the relative abstinence, the group is known for libertarian political leanings and a willingness to attend church. "

How the fuck did we let this happen. HOW THE FUCK DID WE LET THIS HAPPEN?

Ugh, let Russia have it all there's no future worth fighting for.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Generations feel like they make less and less sense give the speed and rapidity with which our formative years shift dramatically due to technology and information making groupings greater than just 5+ years feel very reductive and pointless. If Generations were ever a really valuable and viable demarcation to begin with.

Joeku

Lol I just mean the general timeframe. Basically, what was the main way you talked to others online? If you're a Gen Xer, you were around for the days of usenet and Web 1.0. If you're a millennial, growing up most people had AIM accounts (or Hotmail or earthlink or whatever) and saw the birth of Web 2.0. If you're a Gen Zer, everyone had Facebook and other modern social media growing up.

MSN Messenger is not "whatever", sir.

RedZaraki

Banned
A generation that have ALWAYS had internet access and social media, and worship PewDiePie and online prank video stars.

They sound like a gullible bunch of idiots.

kirblar

Most people born in '95 and '96 remember 9/11 though. I do, for sure. I was too young to really grasp what it meant, but I remember everyone being really freaked out and flights being grounded and shit.
That's just it, I remember that day crystal clear. There were a line of us at the pay phones trying to reach family members. (I grew up in Northern Virginia, tons of people had family working at/near the Pentagon.)

GodofWine

It should be this:
Gen X - You had a usenet account as your first online account
Millennial - You had an AIM account as your first online account
Gen Z - You had a Facebook account as your first online account

I was gonna say, No way this is right, I'm 39 with kids, Im not a millenial, then I remember I had internet before I had an AIM account. (Erol's Internet, wow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djbzPn0ghJs)

I hover in between 3 generations it seems, Gen X, Gen Y and now Millenials...and it looks like they want to just smash Gen Y into Millenials now, which is dumb...you can't tell me that 'ME' being born in 1978 have anything in common with a person born in 1995. Generations should be 8-12 years, using major historical or technical changes to break them up. 1977 to 1990 should be Y, 1990 to 2004 is millenial, 2004+ is whatever

like the 2000 cut off better than 1995.

late 90s kids still remember pre-iphone pre-social media days which is the dividing line between the 2 generations. 2000 kids don’t

If we're defining millenials as having to potentially remember a pre-9/11 world, I'd say 1998 is a good cut off point. That said, defining it as everyone born in 2000 and later is definitely the simplest method, although it might not be the most accurate in terms of defining generations by common traits rather than an arbitrary span of time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So they are all a bunch of angry virgins.

it's interesting how they are staying away from alcohol, drugs and smoking. smoking i can understand because we have made it very hard to get but drugs and alochol? i have no idea whats going on here.

Mechazawa

Most people born in '95 and '96 remember 9/11 though. I do, for sure. I was too young to really grasp what it meant, but I remember everyone being really freaked out and flights being grounded and shit.

Grasping what it meant is probably the important distinction. You may "remember" 9/11 but you probably don't have a good personal grasp of how hard society pivoted as a result of it.

sphagnum

Banned
I would actually put Bernie in the latter group - Millennials (especially the older ones from the '77-'95 range) are way bigger on trusting institutions than the younger set. Remembering the Cold War, 9/11, etc. is a big deal.

The "TEAR IT ALL DOWN" stuff really isn't their thing.

I'm jus thinking about the primary results where Bernie stomped Hillary with the youth vote. With the shifted definition that would include some Gen Z but it's mostly Millennials.

But yes, the left wing of Gen Z is pretty openly left, while the right wing of Gen Z is extremely right.

kswiston

MSN Messenger is not "whatever", sir.

Maybe it was regional, but AIM was never big in Ontario. We went from ICQ when I was in highschool to MSN Messenger when I was in college. Then, there was a short period of GMail chat for a bit before smartphones and Facebook took over.

18-29 he won by something like 4 or 5%, I'm specifically talking about 18-22 which would encompass Gen Z.

I don't think anyone surveys demographic information that narrowly. The point is that young whites are being radicalized by Trump/alt-right rhetoric and Trump's election is a sneak preview of what future elections are going to look like (whites voting as an identity bloc for the GOP, versus everyone else voting for the Dems).

Lol I just mean the general timeframe. Basically, what was the main way you talked to others online? If you're a Gen Xer, you were around for the days of usenet and Web 1.0. If you're a millennial, growing up most people had AIM accounts (or Hotmail or earthlink or whatever) and saw the birth of Web 2.0. If you're a Gen Zer, everyone had Facebook and other modern social media growing up.

Yeah -- speaking from my experience, I think most Gen X'ers who were online mostly connected through University accounts and were heavily involved with Usenet, and through BBS' / Compuserve.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No generalization is gonna be perfect and you'll always have overlap.

I still stand by my 10 year group theory, but it starts on the 5s as that's when Post WWII culture began.

It also helps sidestep issues like people not wanting to be millenials who are "older". You'd have a born 75-85 crew. A born 85-95 crew. Then a born 95-05 crew. Then an 05-15 crew with a new crew just being born now.

It also helps sidestep weird things like the late 50s born baby boomers not actually having a large stake in Nam.

It accurately fits the 75-85 crowd in the pre/post computer age. It also helps sidestep the issue of 9/11 and the 08 crash. Early 80s kids were in college during 9/11 and most were already in the work force before the 08 crash.

kirblar

I'm jus thinking about the primary results where Bernie stomped Hillary with the youth vote. With the shifted definition that would include some Gen Z but it's mostly Millennials.

But yes, the left wing of Gen Z is pretty openly left, while the right wing of Gen Z is extremely right.
IIRC there was a noticeable gap in results w/ the 26-33 crew (eligible to vote in '08) compared to the 18-25 one in the election polls. The latter groups' a mix of younger Millennials and Gen Z.

Joeku

Maybe it was refional, but AIM was never big in Ontario. We went from ICQ when I was in highschool to MSN Messenger when I was in college. Then, there was a peruod of GMail chat for a bit before smartphones and Facebook took over.

Central Canada was all MSN Messenger as well. I had ICQ but it really didn't last.

Dierce

Well the republican party will probably become even more powerful now.... So much for thinking people would become more liberal, open minded and irreligious.

They seem like a bunch of conformists.

Dead serious, Gen Z should be called the YouTube generation, because YouTube has had a disproportionate and frankly disturbing effect on the gen.

Grasping what it meant is probably the important distinction. You may "remember" 9/11 but you probably don't have a good personal grasp of how hard society pivoted as a result of it.

I mean, I was born in '91 and I don't think I had a firm understanding of how society shifted as a result. That understanding only came after the fact the same way you would learn about any historical event. I don't think anyone younger than 12 or so at the time could really be aware enough of the political and social climate to process the change as it happened.

Waaghals

" In addition to the relative abstinence, the group is known for libertarian political leanings and a willingness to attend church. "

How the fuck did we let this happen. HOW THE FUCK DID WE LET THIS HAPPEN?

Some of these are five years old, and then it is quite natural for them to be relative abstinent and get taken to church by their parents.

You'd think that the research would account for this, but I have a very low opinion of all articles that gather large swath of completely heterogeneous people in a group as if it means anything.

Xe4

Banned
That's just it, I remember that day crystal clear. There were a line of us at the pay phones trying to reach family members. (I grew up in Northern Virginia, tons of people had family working at/near the Pentagon.)

Right, but are people who are say 10, really going to remember 9/11 and its effects that much more than those who were 5 or 6? Most of my memories of pretty much anything were a blur until around 13. I certainly remember the immediate aftermath of 9/11, the start of Iraq, and the countless discussions about 9/11 in school.

My parents even checked me into a school councilor cause they were worried about the effect of it on my mental health, lol.

Hindl

I was gonna say, No way this is right, I'm 39 with kids, Im not a millenial, then I remember I had internet before I had an AIM account. (Erol's Internet, wow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djbzPn0ghJs)

I hover in between 3 generations it seems, Gen X, Gen Y and now Millenials...and it looks like they want to just smash Gen Y into Millenials now, which is dumb...you can't tell me that 'ME' being born in 1978 have anything in common with a person born in 1995. Generations should be 8-12 years, using major historical or technical changes to break them up. 1977 to 1990 should be Y, 1990 to 2004 is millenial, 2004+ is whatever
Gen Y is Millennials, it's just a different name. That's why the generation after Millennials are called Gen Z. Millennials is a nickname just like iGeneration. If you're in 78 you're on the tail end of Gen X, but firmly in Gen X, just like as I was born in 92 I'm on the tail end of Millennials but firmly a Millennial. But my basic point is it makes more sense to group people based on what their experiences were growing up than vaguely defined birth years. At your age you were a teenager when the internet started, so even if you personally didn't, people in your age group were fucking around on usenet, while that's something Millennials never did unless they were born right near the end of Gen Xers

sphagnum

Banned
Basically we all hoped that with time the young Republicans would turn into "legalize weed and let gay people get married, just stop raising my taxes" libertarians, but instead they turned into "legalize weed but let me say the n-word" Republicans.

The white youth are becoming increasingly radicalized with far right thoughts. But at the same time, young minorities are being galvanized against that because of Trump, especially after Obama. It's going to be a seriously hectic, confrontational generation.

Homeland generation is the worst generation. They will bring the downfall of modern democracies.

lol I see the rhetoric in threads about generations continues to be very measured.

Basically we all hoped that with time the young Republicans would turn into "legalize weed and let gay people get married, just stop raising my taxes" libertarians, but instead they turned into "legalize weed but let me say the n-word" Republicans.

The white youth are becoming increasingly radicalized with far right thoughts. But at the same time, young minorities are being galvanized against that because of Trump, especially after Obama. It's going to be a seriously hectic, confrontational generation.

This seems like a lot of conjecture. And in general, alt-right seems to target primarily be young white men. It's not a sustainable group.

I'm just wondering what we are gonna call the Generation after Z? After all, we are the end of our ABCs. Starting over at A?
Gen Y and Z were always stupid generation names. “Like Gen X, but the next one!”

Had “fuckin’ Millennials” not caught on among the entire fucking Western World, it would be a much better name than Gen Y.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Guess I'm a late gen Millennial according to my age. Either way, the more people paying taxes to fund social programs when I get older the better.

Nafai1123

Banned
The first generation with a world of knowledge at their fingertips throughout their developmental stages and they decide to watch a racist on youtube play video games.

We are doomed.

also, were probably not economically rant paul like for the most part. Overtun window for economics is further to the left for kids these days. Wouldn't have a hard time selling them on singlepayer for example.

They're socially libertarian. Which is excellent, imo

like the 2000 cut off better than 1995.

late 90s kids still remember pre-iphone pre-social media days which is the dividing line between the 2 generations. 2000 kids don’t
Yeah, I agree.

There's no "set" range anyhow with this stuff. Just this article's opinion.

Plus, considering a generation is about 20 years, and Millennials (or Gen Y) starting period is around the early 80s, like myself, making 1995 the cutoff seems too short.

My two kids are generation AA I guess. They will rebel against the lameness of Gen Z by being huge party animals.

Here's a live look at my trend setting son, proud member of Generation Alcoholics Anonymous (AA):

fc56b76470e8a12840855457ea189059787d0f5d3c36f7648236651e5e43009c.jpg

That isn't really my kid.

ShyMel

As someone born in 1994 with a sister born in 1995, I think the cutoff would need to be later in the 90s or 2000.

Dierce

also, were probably not economically rant paul like for the most part. Overtun window for economics is further to the left for kids these days. Wouldn't have a hard time selling them on singlepayer for example.

They're socially libertarian. Which is excellent, imo

I don't know if anyone is a left wing libertarian in the USA. Seems to me they will vote republican 99% of the time solely because they agree with letting racists speak their mind.

kirblar

Yeah, I agree.

There's no "set" range anyhow with this stuff. Just this article's opinion.

Plus, considering a generation is about 20 years, and Millennials (or Gen Y) starting period is around the early 80s, like myself, making 1995 the cutoff seems too short.
Millenials got moved back to the late '70s as a start point. Gen X is only about a decade now. Which makes sense considering the rapid tech and economic changes in the '80s.
I don't know if anyone is a left wing libertarian in the USA. Seems to me they will vote republican 99% of the time solely because they agree with letting racists speak their mind.
Libertarians who default to voting Dem exist. They're generally the ones you want "checking your work" on economics a lot of the time because they'll criticize it in good faith.

Gutek

lol I see the rhetoric in threads about generations continues to be very measured.

This seems like a lot of conjecture. And in general, alt-right seems to target primarily be young white men. It's not a sustainable group.

If only the homeland generation had been voting in 2016, Trump would’ve won.

If only millenials had been voting, hillary would’ve won.

Gen X make for the worst fucking parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom