• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials reign cut short - Generation Z are the largest population group in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerJM

Banned
I thought Gen Zers were born in 2000 and beyond.

Edit: Oh, apparently the article says that. Well, I don't know if I really agree with the premise. Kids born in late 90s grew up with much different technology than the other millennials, but I feel like their cultural attitudes are largely the same. 2000s and beyond are different; these people were literally in the first grade when Facebook started to take off, they grew up in a post-social media world in a way much different than everyone else, and they also just seem like they're from a definitively different generation whenever I talk to them.

Xe4

Banned
I was born in 92 but kids even 3-4 years younger than me had a completely different experience growing up
That's true. But pretty much everyone can say that The categories are pretty meaningless anyhow. May as well make it the turn of the century at that point.

I have a lot more in common with those born in the early 90's than the 2000's I think.

sphagnum

Banned
" In addition to the relative abstinence, the group is known for libertarian political leanings and a willingness to attend church. "

How the fuck did we let this happen. HOW THE FUCK DID WE LET THIS HAPPEN?

Gen Z are the target of the alt right. If you ever peruse /pol/ they talk about Gen Z being "the redpilled generation that will save us from the degenerate SJW Millennials" all the time.

Think of who Pewdiepie appeals to.

The good news is that Gen Z is the most diverse generation. The bad news isbthat white Gen Z will be more radicalized than white Millennials.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Now we just have to wait for them to die out and this time, things will start getting better.

Euron

Well when you use 1995 as the cutoff instead of 1998 then yeah of course the generation increases. That's strange though since I've always heard of Millennials as the latter. Well it looks like I'm GenZ/iGen though, which is odd since the majority of my life has still taken place before the iPhone.

I guess they can look forward to bearing the brunt of Gen X's retirement woes just as Millennials are going to bear the brunt of Baby Boomers.

Not that great a burden to bear, since there aren't as many of us as Boomers and Millennials.

All of the confusion I've seen about who exactly is a "Millennial" stems from the fact that it seems to be a shorthand term for "People in their 20s," and as the bulk of people who've been writing all these bullshit articles move firmly into their mid-to-late 30s, another bullshit term is needed to describe the new cadre in their 20s (who are so totally different than preceding generations, so let's shit on them).

Hindl

Looking around it looks like part of what's happened is that they've cut Gen X off a lot earlier than they used to and people born in the late '70s are actually getting pulled into the Millenial group now as well.
It should be this:
Gen X - You had a usenet account as your first online account
Millennial - You had an AIM account as your first online account
Gen Z - You had a Facebook account as your first online account

Kusagari

Gen Z are the target of the alt right. If you ever peruse /pol/ they talk about Gen Z being "the redpilled generation that will save us from the degenerate SJW Millennials" all the time.

I can't imagine most of /pol/ or the youtube alt-right crowd actually attending church though.

Yeah, after reading the first post I was about to say "Generation Z should be called Generation Nat-Z." I occasionally interact with kids from this generation and Jesus Christ, white kids today are racist as fuck. This is what happens when you have a generation raised on 4chan and Youtube """influencers""" like PewDiePie.

They are hardcore, far-right libertarian whackjobs and as soon as they're of eligible voting age this country is absolutely fucked (even worse than it already is).

Usobuko

Banned
I find "iGeneration" suits Millennials more.

If you're into mmo when ipod was the rage, you'll see the i________ naming trend takes off.

It's also the most diverse generation, so if the alt-right wants them they'd have to stop being super racist.

adj_noun

It should be this:

I'm pretty sure mine was Hotmail.

Africanus

Hmm.

I too used to think I was a late end millenial (1998).

But now I am just an upper end Gen Z?

Makes sense. The early part of my life I had a basic ass computer at least. Got my first phone in 4th grade, and my first smartphone in 9th. Watched everyone switch from facebook to twitter in my circle, whereas older millenials still used facebook.

This might just add up.

kirblar

Well when you use 1995 as the cutoff instead of 1998 then yeah of course the generation increases. That's strange though since I've always heard of Millennials as the latter. Well it looks like I'm GenZ/iGen though, which is odd since the majority of my life has still taken place before the iPhone.
9/11 and awareness of the Bush years is a huge part of why that cutoff changed.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Jean Twenge, a professor of psychology at San Diego State and widely cited author on Generation Z, defines iGen as the generation born in the years between 1995 and 2012, meaning that the oldest iGen members are 22, and the youngest are five.
No.

NO

I’M A MILLENNIAL GODDAMNIT. I AM DESTROYER OF WORLDS.

kswiston

It should be this:

This doesn't work, because it was mostly nerds online during the usenet only days. In the early 90s the default status was no internet at all. I was in Grade 5 in 1992. One kid had the internet at home out of the 60 of us.

The shift was between 1994 and 1998. By 1997, ICQ was the hottest thing.

GamerJM

Banned
It should be this:

I like this definition.

sphagnum

Banned
Think of when Millennials grew up vs when Gen Z grew up if you don't understand the political difference.

Millennials = Cold War is ending or over, booming economy, future looks bright, suddenly it's pulled out from under the rug. We go through Bush which turns us left, then cheer on Obama, then Bernie comes along and inspires people to go even further left. Hatred of Donald is obvious. Parents are a bunch of lazy racists who screwed us over so we naturally rebel against them.

Gen Z = born in late 90s, become aware when the world is already on chaos post-9/11 but can't really remember the details. Bush is a vague memory. Obama was president during the recession, gets associated with it. Need to look out for yourself, unlike lazy older brother who hangs around at home all the time - why can't he just get a job? Siblings are stifling SJWs, the cool contrarians are on the right. Trump is a funny man, memes! I love Pepe.

Xe4

Banned
9/11 and awareness of the Bush years is a huge part of why that cutoff changed.

Most people born in '95 and '96 remember 9/11 though. I do, for sure. I was too young to really grasp what it meant, but I remember everyone being really freaked out and flights being grounded and shit.

Hindl

I'm pretty sure mine was Hotmail.
Lol I just mean the general timeframe. Basically, what was the main way you talked to others online? If you're a Gen Xer, you were around for the days of usenet and Web 1.0. If you're a millennial, growing up most people had AIM accounts (or Hotmail or earthlink or whatever) and saw the birth of Web 2.0. If you're a Gen Zer, everyone had Facebook and other modern social media growing up.
This doesn't work, because it was mostly nerds online during the usenet only days. In the early 90s the default status was no internet at all. I was in Grade 5 in 1992. One kid had the internet at home out of the 60 of us.

The shift was between 1994 and 1998. By 1997, ICQ was the hottest thing.
I'm not saying everyone that grew up falls into this, it's just a good way of separating out what was the dominant way of communicating with others online at the time. I explained it a bit more above. Everyone didn't have to use it since you're right, a lot of Gen Xers probably didn't get internet till the late 90s. But if they had internet, they would've had usenet accounts instead of AIM accounts

sphagnum

Banned
I can't imagine most of /pol/ or the youtube alt-right crowd actually attending church though.

There's a shitload of conservative Catholics and Orthodox on 4chan. Just look at hownthe history board went down the tubes.

Plus typical GOP evangelicals.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Like Millennials, social scholars have plucked out several traits that seem to characterize the generation. In addition to the relative abstinence, the group is known for libertarian political leanings and a willingness to attend church.
Absolutely the FUCK not

Someone get me away from these freaks. My idols are Che Guevara, Muhammad Ali, & James Baldwin. I’ll be damned before I ever get lumped in with freakin’ libertarians!

Thinking when Millennials grew up vs when Gen Z grew up if you don't understand the political difference.

Millennials = Cold War is ending or over, booming economy, future looks bright, suddenly it's pulled out from under the rug. We go through Bush which turns us left, then cheer on Obama, then Bernie comes along and inspires people to go even further left. Hatred of Donald is obvious. Parents are a bunch of lazy racists who screwed us over so we naturally rebel against them.

Gen Z = born in late 90s, become aware when the world is already on chaos post-9/11 but can't really remember the details. Bush is a vague memory. Obama was president during the recession, gets associated with it. Need to look out for yourself, unlike lazy older brother who hangs around st home all the time - why can't he just get a job? Siblings are stifling SJWs, the cool contrarians are on the right. Trump is a funny man, memes! I love Pepe.

Do Trump or Republicans ever win with 18-22 yr old voters? In any demographic? Anywhere?

Newline

Thinking when Millennials grew up vs when Gen Z grew up if you don't understand the political difference.

Gen Z = born in late 90s, become aware when the world is already on chaos post-9/11 but can't really remember the details. Bush is a vague memory. Obama was president during the recession, gets associated with it. Need to look out for yourself, unlike lazy older brother who hangs around st home all the time - why can't he just get a job? Siblings are stifling SJWs, the cool contrarians are on the right. Trump is a funny man, memes! I love Pepe.
This made me burst out laughing, probably incredibly accurate too.

Euron

It should be this:
Yeah my first online account experience was AIM and I remember my 5th grade teacher warning us about the "dangers of MySpace".

yes, the most racially diverse and least heteronormative generation in american history are going to be stalworth religious republicans/libertarians. whatever they're basing this claim off of must be oversampling the alt right.
There's a shift in counterculture now to Alt-Right and anti "PC Culture" behavior that is mainly seen in people of this age group (before they hopefully grow out of it) so it sadly makes sense despite the increasing diversity. Youtubers like JonTron and Pewdiepie know their base well.

kirblar

I would actually put Bernie in the latter group - Millennials (especially the older ones from the '77-'95 range) are way bigger on trusting institutions than the younger set. Remembering the Cold War, 9/11, etc. is a big deal.

The "TEAR IT ALL DOWN" stuff really isn't their thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom