• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Fliesen

hmmmm, dropping items in stardew valley worked (and still works) like this:

Pick up item in inventory screen, move cursor outside of inventory -> tap (A) to drop.
That'll drop the item without deleting it.

The issue is that, by default "use controller-style menus" is turned on which makes you unable to use the cursor freely, but rather have it snap to individual item slots or buttons.

Now add the fact hat there doesn't seem to be a "button" that represents 'outside of inventory', at least i haven't found one yet.

So with "use controller-style menus" turned off, you'll have a freely moving cursor. Something i'd recommend doing anyways, since i see no downside - you can still navigate your backpack with the shoulder buttons.
I believe that's how i played it on PS4, since i was most certainly able to drop items temporarily (like drop a piece of ore, pick up a mushroom, eat said mushroom, pick up the ore again)

-NeoTB1-

Tempted to pick this up on Switch (I technically own it already on PS4, but never played it and really want a handheld version). Also, thanks to the people who recommended the guidebook at fangamer. Order placed!

ScOULaris

hmmmm, dropping items in stardew valley worked (and still works) like this:

Pick up item in inventory screen, move cursor outside of inventory -> tap (A) to drop.
That'll drop the item without deleting it.

The issue is that, by default "use controller-style menus" is turned on which makes you unable to use the cursor freely, but rather have it snap to individual item slots or buttons.

Now add the fact hat there doesn't seem to be a "button" that represents 'outside of inventory', at least i haven't found one yet.

So with "use controller-style menus" turned off, you'll have a freely moving cursor. Something i'd recommend doing anyways, since i see no downside - you can still navigate your backpack with the shoulder buttons.
I believe that's how i played it on PS4, since i was most certainly able to drop items temporarily (like drop a piece of ore, pick up a mushroom, eat said mushroom, pick up the ore again)

FYI moving the right analog stick brings out the free-moving cursor even with controller-style menus enabled.

nick_b

So, is this game OK for my 8 year old daughter play?

Totally. I played Harvest Moon GBC around that age and loved it. Some things are kind of complex so she might need a guide or something. Or she might just ignore the complex parts. There is a ton to do.

Porcile

Yeah the crackling audio is a bit wtf, and the menu system is cumbersome, but seems pretty charming so far.

Bought this for my wife yesterday who loved playing Harvest Moon games back in the day and she ended up playing 5 hours straight before bed lol. RIP to my Switch playtime for a bit haha.

Neoweee

FYI moving the right analog stick brings out the free-moving cursor even with controller-style menus enabled.

Yeah, there's some good stuff going on with the interface. The port definitely receives my stamp of approval, but the interface for planting seems slightly weird. Like, it is free cursor, no matter what?

Tunahead

have you turned on the "placement tile indicator" in the options?

Yeah that's essential IMO. I immediately went into the options and turned it on when I noticed it wasn't on by default. It's even more necessary when you're dealing with crops.

SomTervo

have you turned on the "placement tile indicator" in the options?

Yeah that's essential IMO. I immediately went into the options and turned it on when I noticed it wasn't on by default. It's even more necessary when you're dealing with crops.

IIRC this still doesn't give you a tile indicator with certain items, which is a ball-ache. Maybe i didn't turn that on though (thought I had).

I had never played this game before. Bought it as soon as it came live. Then tonight I spend 16 in game days just chopping down trees and watering my veggies. So good.

Has anyone else noticed how the audio "crackles" in this game? If you turn the volume up to max it sounds almost like the audio levels are constantly peaking. It's the only Switch game I've noticed this problem with.

Brakke

Banned
The controls are actively bad and anyone who says they aren’t is a goofball.

Speaking of, what the heck do L and R do while outside of menus? My inventory shakes when I hit them but nothing happens?

Unai

Speaking of, what the heck do L and R do while outside of menus? My inventory shakes when I hit them but nothing happens?

They are only used when you buy more inventory rows, so you alternate between them.

8zbs648db2qz.jpg

Fliesen

i believe they cycle through the (up to 3) rows of inventory, once you buy the backpack upgrade?

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Focusing mainly on the cave, I feel like such an outcast in the town.

Also, is it wise to focus on building a coop for extra income? I'm trying to find the least demanding way of building income while I spelunk. I currently have a few places growing, but it's mainly for the town hall projects.

Fliesen

anyone wanna confirm whether or not i am crazy? (like, with regards to the controls of the game, not in general, please)

How do you guys drop (not trash) items?
Scoularis said - in the inventory, the right stick moves the pointer (not the square cursor) - that doesn't work for me. And since dropping items requires you to 'drag them' out of your inventory, i don't see how i'd do that.

https://i.imgur.com/Oo26FsY.gifv

ScOULaris

Scoularis said - in the inventory, the right stick moves the pointer (not the square cursor) - that doesn't work for me. And since dropping items requires you to 'drag them' out of your inventory, i don't see how i'd do that.

I knew that the right stick moves the cursor in general, but I hadn't specifically tested it in the inventory menu.

I believe when you say it doesn't work, however. There are a whole host of little control oversights in this port. It's clear that things need to be ironed out for sure.

Uhh I went idle to take care of some other things and left the game on and paused... I came back to find the audio acting up by sounding all scratchy/static. Is there a fix to this?

Scrawnton

My favorite thing about Stardew Valley is that it's a fishing and social sim for me.. I barely farm. Am I doing it wrong or am I okay to do as I please?

ghibli99

So, is this game OK for my 8 year old daughter play?
As you get deeper into the town residents' backstories, some of the themes are pretty serious, but for the most part, the game's content is charming and inoffensive. I think you and your daughter will have more than enough fun exploring, creating/maintaining your farm, taking care of livestock, etc. It's a wonderful game, and in fact, the more adult content came as a pleasant surprise in what I thought was going to be a rather one-note narrative.

Shahadan

Aw poop... lol. Guess I lost a whole day's progress! Good to know and won't idle again til a patch at least. Thank you!

You can still save first :p
Idling is not the problem either, even playing non stop will eventually cause this problem. You could see it as a reminder that it's time to take a break !

Fliesen

I knew that the right stick moves the cursor in general, but I hadn't specifically tested it in the inventory menu.

I believe when you say it doesn't work, however. There are a whole host of little control oversights in this port. It's clear that things need to be ironed out for sure.

Definitely - it's a weird oversight, given that i remember the PS4 working exactly as you suggested.
I just couldn't test it out, since i'm at work, and the memory of how the game controlled on the DS4 resides in my hands, not my brain :)

You can still save first :p
Idling is not the problem either, even playing non stop will eventually cause this problem. You could see it as a reminder that it's time to take a break !

Yeah I could have but I was so far away from my farm and I didn't want to deal with the annoying audio haha! It's okay though, I will have to repeat all that I did for that day another time. Luckily I'm not that far too in yet, so it's a minor thing.

So with that info, I will probably play for one ingame day per real life day til the patch kicks in... Thank you again!

It’s odd that characters just don’t respond to you talking to them when you’ve exhausted their dialogue instead of just repeating their lines like most games. I feel like it’s taking me a long time to learn everyone’s names because with some characters you just get one shot a day to talk to them.

I’ve met 27 of the 28 characters according to my quest log. Is there someone that shows up later? Also, are there any consequences to shopping at the Walmart-esque store? I’ve been avoiding it out of principle but I’m curious whether there’s any story scenes tied to it, the mayor character said something that makes it seem like there is.

Top Bottom