• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo Sport is HDR's killer app

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sweet.

Watching this on an SDR display and even here the lighting looks incredible.

edit: Finally a (nearly) locked 60 FPS GT game.

Cess007

All I wanna say is that even when I don't care really much about GT, Moon Over the Castle is still an amazing song.

Also, I really need a HDR capable TV set :(

sinonobu

Banned
Man I have no interest in racing sims or have time to play this game but this looks awesome.

Might actually pick up down the line.

Gestault

When they were talking up their HDR efforts, I couldn't tell if it was just the studio trying to convey the normal benefits of HDR, or if the results really did stand out. This is fantastic.

Gowans

It looks great on my KS8000, credit to DF to doing these HDR videos.

I’ve been really enjoying HDR games at the moment, Forza, Shadow of War, Wildlands.

Sometimes I think it makes more of a difference that 4K. It’s subtitle at times but jumps out when you see the TV going to ranges you’re not used to seeing on a tele.

GTS looks great here!

Loudninja

There's more good news - specifically a clear improvement in performance in the high resolution mode compared to earlier betas. Based on our experience, the overall level of consistency here is very impressive, with Polyphony delivering its closest lock to 60 frames per second since the PS2 era. We had a difficult time encountering any slowdown during gameplay, meaning that if it does occur, it should be rare. The races all play back very smoothly at 60 frames per second - a level of performance often missed in the PS3 installments. PS4 Pro owners also get the chance to run replays at 1080p60 - while base PS4 and the high-res Pro mode operate these at 30fps instead. It's not a perfect lock but the results look brilliant - just the tonic after 10 years of top-tier racing games only offering 30fps replays.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-gran-turismo-sport-is-hdrs-killer-app

I don't need to hear this. Just got an HDR 4K TV, have GT on preorder, but had no plans to get a Pro anytime soon (have a 1X on preorder instead). Ugh. Maybe Black Friday will bring a great Pro bundle for a reasonable price.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't need to hear this. Just got an HDR 4K TV, have GT on preorder, but had no plans to get a Pro anytime soon (have a 1X on preorder instead). Ugh. Maybe Black Friday will bring a great Pro bundle for a reasonable price.
The base PS4 still supports HDR, though. Just at 1080p.

c0de

That sounds surprisingly positive for the demo. But I'm not getting an HDR set soon, too many bad options out there and the good ones are definitely too expensive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm just watching the tone mapped version on YouTube for the first time and it does a pretty reasonable job. It loses a lot but is still quite attractive.

On mobile here, iPhone 6s+ specifically, and can’t set the quality past 480p. Happened with the recent Forza 7 HDR video as well.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
It looks great on my KS8000, credit to DF to doing these HDR videos.

I’ve been really enjoying HDR games at the moment, Forza, Shadow of War, Wildlands.

Sometimes I think it makes more of a difference that 4K. It’s subtitle at times but jumps out when you see the TV going to ranges you’re not used to seeing on a tele.

GTS looks great here!
Can you post the settings you use when playing HDR enabled games on your pro?

Menus and car models are beautiful and I love the use of HDR. I have to disagree w/ John about some of those backgrounds though, sometimes you'll turn a corner and look up and it's just like a watercolor painting in distance.

All that said, it's great to play a GT game at a stable framerate again.

Ogawa-san

I love that you guys are making HDR movies. I liked the Forza one better though, because it had platform comparisons.

Played it through my KS8000 YT app and it impressed me more than playing the game itself on my OG PS4, just like browsing the GTS threads here it makes me feel I'm playing a different game. I guess it's a great case for a Pro as well.

Erudite

(Re-posting from the other GTS thread)

I have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, and the Sony x900e YouTube app.

Do any of these support HDR passthrough in their respective YouTube apps?

Top Bottom