• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo Sport is HDR's killer app

I'm just watching the tone mapped version on YouTube for the first time and it does a pretty reasonable job. It loses a lot but is still quite attractive.

Similar to Gamersyde, is there somewhere we can download these videos and dump em on a usb drive? I believe the YT app on LG C7s is still busted for HDR =/

Gowans

Anyone compare this to Forza 7? Thoughts from an HDR perspective?
You know I’d love to see DF do comparisons on similar games and look at the trade offs and decisions different devs made for there games.

I think racing and fighting games would be really interesting but it would turn into warz :(

The base PS4 still supports HDR, though. Just at 1080p.

Whenever you do the full DF GTS breakdown, do you plan on looking back at the older versions of the game (like the infamous Copper Box reveal?). I think it'd be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the performance now and then.

JP

The HDR is so impressive in this game, i think it's one of those things that once you've experienced it it can be really difficult to go back to SDR. I love the HDR calibration options when you start the game up, they really should be standard for all games with HDR.

I was so down on this game. I didn't even care that it existed, and I am a huge GT fan since the PS1 days.

The beta made me do a complete 180. PD nailed everything. I can't believe I ever doubted them. I see now it was all the PS3's fault. We good, Kaz.

Krakatoa

I thought the HDR implementing was ok in GT sport, but to be honest I thought Forza Horizons HDR was better implemented. The first stage driving through the forest really blew my mind.

Maybe I need tweek some of the HDR settings when its released.

Ducktail

Even though I watched this video on a HDR smartphone, it was still mighty impressive.

I want to play this game really bad.

(Re-posting from the other GTS thread)

I have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, and the Sony x900e YouTube app.

Do any of these support HDR passthrough in their respective YouTube apps?

I've heard the One does but I don't own one. TV and Pro definitely do not.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That HDR calibration tool is nifty. Hope more games do that.

Preferably ones I can actually properly control and video of doesn’t put me to sleep

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
HDR's killer app is actually mad max, planet earth 2 and Sparks on Netflix.
You're absolutely right but, honestly, I feel like GT Sport is just one step above those. They are all excellent examples of HDR - that much is for certain.

Similar to Gamersyde, is there somewhere we can download these videos and dump em on a usb drive? I believe the YT app on LG C7s is still busted for HDR =/
We do have this service...

https://www.digitalfoundry.net/

I thought the HDR implementing was ok in GT sport, but to be honest I thought Forza Horizons HDR was better implemented.
That's fascinating as I thought the Horizon 3 did a mediocre job at best with it. Forza 7 is an improvement. I can forgive it, though, as it was one of the very first HDR games ever released. Which display are you using?

If any game needed it, it was always Gran Turismo.

The range of lighting was always so small, that you generally either had bright skies while the cars and track were dark as hell, or you had a normal looking track with a blank white void of a sky.

Anti aliasing has also been a weak point in a game series where you pass by fences at high speeds.

czk

Typical COD gamer
That short clip of gt3 on ps2 had me mighty impressed. Maybe its nostalgia but it seemed to me to look more interesting than the footage of gt sport.

carsar

Would be very helpful to measure Peak brightness of different scenes(The un, clouds, highlights, reflections).
And second thing I wish to see -HDR TV comparison and settings for them in each HDR game

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Seriously, this game is such a pleasure to look at in game and in the menus. The demo alone was so much fun that I can easily see this being one of my top five games of this gen. It is ridiculously good and surpassed all of my expectations (which were a little low since I don't enjoy online racing at all...but they managed to make it great for even someone like me who doesn't like playing online).

I'm on mobile so I can't appreciate the video to the fullest right now. Still, the positive reception is a good sign.

We have come a long way with GTS. I still can't believe the amount of people that shit on this game. Now I don't see most of them posting.

Forza? I don't know.

The cars look fine, but the environments?

I'm watching the cockpit camera and the environments don't look good at all.

Maybe it's just the youtube quality messing with me.

The environments have some issues, depending on where you're looking and what you're at. The trees/grass particularly. However, I don't really notice this stuff while actually playing it.

bud

In what way specifically?

i'm playing it in quality mode on a 1080p tv and i'm seeing tons of aliasing. this shouldn't be normal, right? it somehow doesn't look like it's downsampling. it degrades the overall look for me.

i'm on a panasonic gt30 plasma (thx mode).

Schnauzer

Forza? I don't know.

I am one of the biggest Forza fans you will find. That comment even makes me think:

tenor.gif

c0de

Forza? I don't know.

The cars look fine, but the environments?

I'm watching the cockpit camera and the environments don't look good at all.

Maybe it's just the youtube quality messing with me.

I mean, I'll buy it just for it being a HDR showcase, but I was expecting something better.

It has its low moments and parts, for sure, just like other games. But this topic is about the HDR implementation in this game and not a face off with detailed performance analysis and/or comparison pictures. This thread will come, for sure.

It has its low moments and parts, for sure, just like other games. But this topic is about the HDR implementation in this game and not a face off with detailed performance analysis and/or comparison pictures. This thread will come, for sure.

That's fair enough and I'm not even a huge racing game fan, but I will buy it just for the HDR if it's that good.

EvB

That HDR calibration tool is nifty. Hope more games do that.

Preferably ones I can actually properly control and video of doesn't put me to sleep

Every Xbox One HDR title I've played has something equivalent to what they showed there, so I'm not entirely sure what is so special about that.
We really need dynamic metadata to make actually make the game customisable to the display.

magawolaz

I'm just watching the tone mapped version on YouTube for the first time and it does a pretty reasonable job. It loses a lot but is still quite attractive.
Did you check by any chance if there are differences between spectator view (non letterboxed, found in online lobbies) and standard replays (letterboxed)?
I hate those huge black bars.

Not surprised. Even on a regular 1080p set, the amount of calibration options before the game let's you play shows you how much PD cares about this sort of stuff.

HDR's killer app is actually mad max, planet earth 2 and Sparks on Netflix.

^This,

Frankie strikes again. I haven't seen Sparks but mad max and planet earth 2 in HDR are insane.

That being said I appreciate that games are trying to properly use HDR now. Makes the feature seem like a worthwhile upgrade to buy now compared to 3D which lacked properly implemented support.

The video almost felt like a mini review for the game and pretty much how I feel about the game after playing the demo. PD really stepped up their game with the presentation, graphics, sound, load time's, online and performance here, it's seriously good.

The whole thing is far better than even I expected and I'm really looking forward to playing the full game next week in glorious HDR at 4k, well 1800p cbr but whatever, it still looks fantastic.

Klocker

Every HDR game needs adjustable options, several games have an HDR slider but overriding saturation and brightness is important too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mad Max technically isn’t HDR but Dolby Vision, which is a variant of HDR I wish more movies would use.

Izuna

Banned
DF

what format is the HDR footage in? If it's MP4 it will work on my Galaxy S8

I'll sub to see it

DF please do some actual research, YouTube on Galaxy S8 DOES NOT HAVE HDR

Izuna

Banned
Mad Max technically isn't HDR but Dolby Vision, which is a variant of HDR I wish more movies would use.

Technically, DV is a form of HDR.

HDR10 is the "standard" we're usually talking about.

But High-Dynamic Range is more of an idea and DV is a specification of it.

Watching on GS8+ some of this shit looks live real life it's crazy.

On YouTube?

You don't have HDR on S8+ YouTube.

HDR stuff aside, but is it just me, or does this not too that great graphically?

Outside of the cars and the lightning, the background geometry looks really dated. I've it running on the Pro and the sides of the roads being flat and the awful textures/trees really stand out, unfortunately.

Top Bottom