• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo Sport is HDR's killer app

Izuna

Banned
Heh, just shows how perception varies. I found Wipeout's HDR implementation to be lacking. It really disappointed me.

Huh? Specifically, you have seen Zone mode right? The extra vibrant colours not visible in Rec. 709 was mesmerising for me.

Like, it made Ratchet and Clank no longer the most vibrant and high contrast game I've seen anymore.

But yeah, Horizon 3 in the Hot Wheels DLC direct comparison was a lovely showcase of how HDR can make the sun a real entity too.

When the full game of GTS comes out hopefully I get to revisit the other parts of the game, regardless.

--

For S8 owners, just to clarify, if you want to see HDR you need this native video player from the Galaxy Apps store https://imgur.com/bQSjYC2 - it is the only one that will play it.

With this you can use the Samsung Gallery app from the same store or Samsung Video Library from the Play Store.

Damn, I really want to see this in HDR. If I subscribe to the patreon and download their HDR videos, can the Pro play them back via USB? Alternatively, can the Vizio P-series(2016) play them back via USB in HDR?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Huh? Specifically, you have seen Zone mode right? The extra vibrant colours not visible in Rec. 709 was mesmerising for me.

Like, it made Ratchet and Clank no longer the most vibrant and high contrast game I've seen anymore.

But yeah, Horizon 3 in the Hot Wheels DLC direct comparison was a lovely showcase of how HDR can make the sun a real entity too.

When the full game of GTS comes out hopefully I get to revisit the other parts of the game, regardless.

For S8 owners, just to clarify, if you want to see HDR you need this native video player from the Galaxy Apps store https://imgur.com/bQSjYC2 - it is the only one that will play it.

With this you can use the Samsung Gallery app from the same store or Samsung Video Library from the Play Store.
I need to sample Zone Mode again then. I may not have tried that yet. I think I only played through a number of regular tracks and found it to be quite dull in terms of HDR quality.

EvB

Was their any ever confirmation that it actually used WCG?

GT is the first game to actually say they were using it.

Izuna

Banned
Was their any ever confirmation that it actually used WCG?

GT is the first game to actually say they were using it.

To be honest, I don't know. It's just that with HDR activated in Wipeout (as well as Horizon 3 for that matter) there are different colours that pop up. I think HDR 10 has to send to the TV to use Rec. 2020. Whether or not the colour changes are intended by the device, I can't say, there at least with Horizon the track in Hot Wheels is a different "orange".

I need to sample Zone Mode again then. I may not have tried that yet. I think I only played through a number of regular tracks and found it to be quite dull in terms of HDR quality.

Try Zone in 2048, it was the only thing I tried.

Loved the game on Vita but I'd for sure play it all over again if I had my brother's setup.

EvB

To be honest, I don't know. It's just that with HDR activated in Wipeout (as well as Horizon 3 for that matter) there are different colours that pop up. I think HDR 10 has to send to the TV to use Rec. 2020. Whether or not the colour changes are intended by the device, I can't say, there at least with Horizon the track in Hot Wheels is a different "orange".

That's the core issues with HDR10, there are very few guidelines or rules as to how a TV should actually display the format. It actually can't be calibrated as the implementation is entirely up to the TV. So you will always get a difference in the appearance in content, simply by enabling the HDR metadata flags. Sometimes it is perceived as better, sometimes it is perceived as worse.

I think lots of games don't handle it very well, both Halo Wars 2 and Gears 4 totally screw up oranges as you say, the actual color luminescence is reduced, so they look really dull.

Microsoft stated from day one that there were no WCG implementations on Xbox One S, so any differences you are seeing are down to the differences in the SDR and HDR toning that developers have to offer on Xbox one for the different outputs. The other differences are down to how your display chooses to handle the output.

There have been some OS updates on Xbox One recently that have addressed the output, things are looking much more natural than they were. Forza Horizon 3 doesn't suffer from the same issues it did a few months ago.

III-V

Up until GTS, as far as we know, games have simply mapped REC709 color into the BT2020 color container at seemingly 1:1 mapping.

Even still, HDR provides an increase in color volume (think luminance as well) so HDR should give the ability to give increased color brightness, which can also explain why some colors can change in certain conditions. A very bright color can appear to our eyes very saturated.

Izuna

Banned
Up until GTS, as far as we know, games have simply mapped REC709 color into the BT2020 color container at seemingly 1:1 mapping.

Even still, HDR provides an increase in color volume (think luminance as well) so HDR should give the ability to give increased color brightness, which can also explain why some colors can change in certain conditions. A very bright color can appear to our eyes very saturated.

Good explanation. Whichever it is, what Wipeout was doing in 2048 Zone mode worked very well. Since it's a very bright, solid colour presentation it doesn't matter if the colours did fall outside of the developer's intention. It just looks incredible.

Wow thanks for uploading this video in HDR. Looks really good on my tv. There are so many YouTube videos that have HDR in the title but they aren't HDR.

Top Bottom