• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo Sport is HDR's killer app

onQ123

HDR's killer app is actually mad max, planet earth 2 and Sparks on Netflix.

93294126c192ee18f081509c57f65ba605855f77

real life is the greatest HDR killer app of all time!

tbm24

I picked up an X900E last weekend, the GT Sport demo is the first HDR game I’ve tried on my Pro. After toggling on the screen flashed and the white wasn’t so right I wasn’t ready for it. Stung for a second, was pretty epic I gotta say. Looking forward to being a part of the HDR future with this game.

Izuna

Banned
For Galaxy S8, S8+ and Note 8 users, you cannot see this in HDR on Youtube

-- all reports of YouTube working with HDR are false, it merely says HDR in the resolution selection. If you want a good resource on HDR content that will work on your phone, check here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418472 -- I'll be updating this thread as much as possible.

edit:

Digital Foundry, please have an "HDR" category on your website :/

This is a mess to navigate.

ss_lemonade

I always wondered if HDR quality is any different between the Pro and the regular model since the HDMI specs are different.

I don't think quality is any different but I believe that the required settings on your TV can be different to get the proper result, depending on if you have a Pro or not. I don't have a PS4 Pro but from what I've read, it runs HDR with YCbCr color when in 4k, due to bandwidth limitations. In this mode, my TV (a KS9000) would lock out/prevent me from touching black level settings as that is what happens with my PC when using YCbCr. On the PS4 Pro's side, I think it's best to set black level to limited then since I don't think non 4:4:4 YCbCr supports full black level (again using my PC as an example, it automatically locks me into limited when using YCbCr)

Now for a non-pro PS4, since 1080p is it's ceiling, it looks like it runs HDR in RGB mode instead of YCbCr. I have a non-pro PS4 and even with HDR enabled, I am able to modify black level settings in my TV. I am forced though to ensure that my TV runs with Full/Normal Black Level and that my PS4 runs with matching Full/Normal as well. Using limited on both sides gives you crushed blacks in HDR mode (but perfect blacks/whites outside HDR). It confused me at first because I was always used to using limited on everything, but then I was getting severe crushed blacks when playing the with HDR for the first time.

EvB

It's HEVC in an MP4 container

How do you capture the HDR10 metadata?
I can't help but notice you use identical HDR metadata for both Forza 7 and GT Sport videos, despite coming from different studios and being mastered differently. That seems quite unlikely that they would do.

also, why HEVC? youtube uses VP9 for HDR footage. Or is that just for patreon?

ghibli99

GTS definitely has a lot of polish and the focus on technology is appreciated. Gonna be skipping it for now (have way too much to play, including a few other racing games), but I'm sure I'll jump in at some point, and I'd like to see how they support it going forward as well.

Izuna

Banned
Proof that HDR works from the Patreon download (remember S8 users, if it doesn't say HDR, it ain't working):

hK6e974.png

Obviously, it looks very different on the phone itself.

edit: fuuuuck meee this looks incredible -- I do wonder what is causing the colour banding, however. I think HDR playback on the S8 has some issue there.

amdb00mer

Can't agree. When playing an evening race the HDR made the trees look cartoony, kind of cell shaded without the thick black lines. Everything else was great. The HDR on the cars and track itself was fantastic. I ended up playing from the cockpit view just to avoid seeing the trees.

TV TCL-55P605

Izuna

Banned
Can't agree. When playing an evening race the HDR made the trees look cartoony, kind of cell shaded without the thick black lines. Everything else was great. The HDR on the cars and track itself was fantastic. I ended up playing from the cockpit view just to avoid seeing the trees.

TV TCL-55P605

tbh I still think Ratchet and Clank is still the best use of HDR.

TBH, Forza 7 HDR is better ;/ nothing beats the amazing lightning and daytime cycle.

EvB

TV TCL-55P605

Sounds like your TV is tone mapping those mid tones not so well

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

TV TCL-55P605
TV issue, I'd say.

It absolutely should not look like that and it does not on the OLED I'm using for testing.

ethomaz

Banned

TV TCL-55P605
I believe your TV is not doing the job right... it is not good with 4k or HDR.

It is a cheaper TV good for everything else.

Izuna

Banned
"deep dark night sky"

Is there something wrong with the encode? because it's basically blue for me when watching this video

I played the closed Beta with a much too exposure (cockpits were too dark, I always play from cockpit) and I could see the "cartooniness" of the trees due to subsurface scattering, but I still loved it. No other other racing games does that and no other captured the feeling of driving in late spring with the green of the trees glowing with life. It's performance well spent, much more important than "more 3D trees" imo.

I'm just sad that I can't really see the benefits of HDR and barely see a difference in 4k the way u guys are experiencing.

Truly depressing to know that you don't get what everyone else easily gets.

Feels like highschool all over again

:(

Izuna

Banned
I'm just sad that I can't really see the benefits of HDR and barely see a difference in 4k the way u guys are experiencing.

Truly depressing to know that you don't get what everyone else easily gets.

Feels like highschool all over again

:(

Do you have an HDR display? Because I show people real HDR from my phone all the time and they are always blown away, regardless of who they are.

flohen95

The use of Moon over the Castle is very appreciated. It's a shame that PD seems to have abandoned the song and the soundtrack style of the earlier JP Gran Turismo games.

The game does look gorgeous though, and I have yet to see HDR in action, too.

dark10x

"deep dark night sky"

Is there something wrong with the encode? because it's basically blue for me when watching this video
Definitely nothing wrong with the HEVC encode as that's the direct file I used to play on my OLED TV. The sky is a super dark blue for me and I thought it looked really nice.

I suppose...one thing to consider is that the settings were adjusted to my TV (using the in-game HDR adjustments) which means it might end up displaying slightly differently on different displays. I hadn't considered that before but it might impact it.

DieH@rd

Banned
During my play on 49XE9005, I was most blown away with foggy daylight races on Dragon's Tail track [overcast sky and fog enveloping a distant mountain], the lightning looked so damn natural.

Izuna

Banned
Definitely nothing wrong with the HEVC encode as that's the direct file I used to play on my OLED TV. The sky is a super dark blue for me and I thought it looked really nice.

I've been suspicious about the S8 for a long time, but there are excessive colour banding and strange colours in almost all HDR content I view.

qVQUOnc.jpg

This photo is not too far off from the type of blue I see, just a tad darker.

dark10x

I've been suspicious about the S8 for a long time, but there are excessive colour banding and strange colours in almost all HDR content I view.

qVQUOnc.jpg

This photo is not too far off from the type of blue I see.
Hmm, you're right, the blue looks too bright there.

Again, though, since I adjusted the game for the LG B6 OLED, it may look differently on other HDR displays. Every TV/phone is slightly different in how it handles it right now, it seems.

amdb00mer

tbh I still think Ratchet and Clank is still the best use of HDR.

TBH, Forza 7 HDR is better ;/ nothing beats the amazing lightning and daytime cycle.

I forgot how great Ratchet and Clank looked. Also, as crazy as it sounds, Everybody's Golf does great HDR and 4K/30fps.

Izuna

Banned
Hmm, you're right, the blue looks too bright there.

Again, though, since I adjusted the game for the LG B6 OLED, it may look differently on other HDR displays. Every TV/phone is slightly different in how it handles it right now, it seems.

Funnily enough, the HDR content I can find that works best for this phone are the Sony demos. There's still some banding -- next week I may or may not be able to compare on a KS8000. I'll let you know if the videos look more like they are intended there (as I'll be able to directly compare with the game itself if I am given the chance?)

I don't see what the fuss is about. Contrast seems weak on my B6 compared to other HDR titles (on the demo running on PS4 Pro at least).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was blown away by the HDR implementation I saw on the showfloor at E3 this year. Best looking HDR in any game I had ever seen.

DieH@rd

Banned
Uh, 1.4gig file on YT. This will be a long conversion to [HDR enabled] MKV, even on my 12 thread ryzen.

Damn you youtube, hurry up with enabling HDR on Sony XE90xx, PS4 Pro or PC!

Bizzquik

Kudos to Digital Foundry for not being a puppet of either Microsoft or Sony.

They give praise when its earned, and they never back down from throwing shade at developers when its deserved. And they backup everything with demonstrable examples.

Love their YouTube channel.

Izuna

Banned
Uh, 1.4gig file on YT. This will be a long conversion to [HDR enabled] MKV, even on my 12 core ryzen.

Damn you youtube, be quick about enabling HDR on Sony XE90xx, PS4 Pro or PC!

Actually, maybe you can help?

What do you use for conversion? A lot of HDR content online is .MKV which the S8 cannot play with HDR. I wanna change the container to .MP4 but everything I try doesn't work properly.

amdb00mer

TV issue, I'd say.

It absolutely should not look like that and it does not on the OLED I'm using for testing.

I would say no. Only game that HDR does not look right. Everything else I have played looks spot and fine. Everybody's Golf, Ratchet and Clank, Forza 7, Madden 18, just to name a few as well as HDR video all look good. Only GT Sport has had issues. So, i'm gonna say no, TV is just fine.

However, I used GT Sport's built in HDR calibration and I think I will go back and set it to default and see if that helps any.

dark10x

Funnily enough, the HDR content I can find that works best for this phone are the Sony demos. There's still some banding -- next week I may or may not be able to compare on a KS8000. I'll let you know if the videos look more like they are intended there (as I'll be able to directly compare with the game itself if I am given the chance?)
So, when I take a photo, the camera does give the impression that it's a little brighter blue than it otherwise seems. It's definitely more blue than black but, in person, it just feels dark in contrast to the lights which reminded me of being in a real stadium.

I hate taking photos of HDR content, though, since it obviously is not accurate at all. You either crush shadow detail or blow out light detail.

uO6c.jpg

DieH@rd

Banned
Actually, maybe you can help?

What do you use for conversion? A lot of HDR content online is .MKV which the S8 cannot play with HDR. I wanna change the container to .MP4 but everything I try doesn't work properly.

I download video and audio tracks using "youtube-dl" CMD command, transcode VP9.2 file into bt2020 x265 using ffmpeg and then put audio/vid files into MKV using mkvtoolnix.

You should take a look which app can help you to easily create MP4 containers.

Izuna

Banned
So, when I take a photo, the camera does give the impression that it's a little brighter blue than it otherwise seems. It's definitely more blue than black but, in person, it just feels dark in contrast to the lights which reminded me of being in a real stadium.

I hate taking photos of HDR content, though, since it obviously is not accurate at all. You either crush shadow detail or blow out light detail.

uO6c.jpg

Well, I have a calibrated laptop display so at the very least -- I probably should have gone into photoshop and tried my best to replicate this colour to how it appears on the S8.

Here it is:
VnvAvIq.jpg

lemme know if that's more like what you see (just the blue in the sky). It could just be that my impression of "deep dark sky" is different.

EDIT: lol, it matches up with your photo

I download video and audio tracks using "youtube-dl" CMD command, transcode VP9.2 file into bt2020 x265 using ffmpeg and then put audio/vid files into MKV using mkvtoolnix.

You should take a look which app can help you to easily create MP4 containers.

When I tried ffmpeg something didn't work, it felt like the HDR metadata got stripped or something. I know it CAN be done because someone on reddit did, but they didn't post how.

timberger

Oh wow... that's the best looking racer yet for sure. Shame it had to be a sim, the most fun-free kind of racer you can get :(

dark10x

lemme know if that's more like what you see (just the blue in the sky). It could just be that my impression of "deep dark sky" is different.

EDIT: lol, it matches up with your photo
Yeah, I think it's your reading of that phrase. It stuck out to me as it gives me the impression of being in a stadium on a cool autumn evening. I dunno, it really spoke to me in a weird way. Playing the same track in SDR loses the effect entirely.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, I think it's your reading of that phrase. It stuck out to me as it gives me the impression of being in a stadium on a cool autumn evening. I dunno, it really spoke to me in a weird way. Playing the same track in SDR loses the effect entirely.

That's good then. I only have one HDR capable display atm and wanted to make sure it was working.

Do you have a list of which videos on your Patreon are HDR?

edit: NVM, there is an HDR tab and there are 3 videos there

dark10x

That's good then. I only have one HDR capable display atm and wanted to make sure it was working.

Do you have a list of which videos on your Patreon are HDR?

edit: NVM, there is an HDR tab and there are 3 videos there
Yeah, HDR is still very new for us. This was my very first full HDR video, in fact.

The process was quite time consuming! YouTube required 40 hours to process the video. It was stuck on 720p for the longest time. I assume that's the price you pay for tone mapping to SDR.

Top Bottom