• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo Sport is HDR's killer app

I don't think quality is any different but I believe that the required settings on your TV can be different to get the proper result, depending on if you have a Pro or not. I don't have a PS4 Pro but from what I've read, it runs HDR with YCbCr color when in 4k, due to bandwidth limitations. In this mode, my TV (a KS9000) would lock out/prevent me from touching black level settings as that is what happens with my PC when using YCbCr. On the PS4 Pro's side, I think it's best to set black level to limited then since I don't think non 4:4:4 YCbCr supports full black level (again using my PC as an example, it automatically locks me into limited when using YCbCr)

Now for a non-pro PS4, since 1080p is it's ceiling, it looks like it runs HDR in RGB mode instead of YCbCr. I have a non-pro PS4 and even with HDR enabled, I am able to modify black level settings in my TV. I am forced though to ensure that my TV runs with Full/Normal Black Level and that my PS4 runs with matching Full/Normal as well. Using limited on both sides gives you crushed blacks in HDR mode (but perfect blacks/whites outside HDR). It confused me at first because I was always used to using limited on everything, but then I was getting severe crushed blacks when playing the with HDR for the first time.

If the standard PS4 is doing HDR in RGB wouldn't that be 8-bit HDR on the regular vs 10-bit HDR on the Pro?

That looked incredible even on youtube SDR mode. I can't imagine how amazing it will look on a properly calibrated 4K HDR display. Just wow! I think this game finally surpasses DC in a lot of aspects especially being 60fps.

Does this game have any kind of an arcade mode more closer to DC? Generally I have found these sim games really hard to play since I don't have a wheel.

Wollan

That video looked incredibly flat on my SDR 1440p PC monitor hah.
Thought it was missing graphical effects like basic shadowing. Seems to confirm the general feeling that HDR is most noticeable when going back to SDR. Been playing this in 4K HDR earlier this evening (LG B6).

Got to give Polyphony big kudos on the menus in this game. Very, very stellar: https://youtu.be/FDkWwX3Id98?t=568

It's 60fps and hdr that alone is enough to outshine driveclub but one area driveclub wins is cockpit quality and how close you can get the camera to cockpit details, and until I see how rain and snow is done, weather and dynamic weather / moving sun.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
whats sparks? the japanese show?

Just a short, simple "slow tv" digital video of one dude arc welding on a construction site. However, it's got one of the most easy to understand examples of why HDR is more than just contrast. The welder has a huge steel carabiner buckle on his tool belt, and the color detail reflecting in that object alone is a real "oh I get it now" moment for why HDR is detail and information rather than just a broad improvement.

Search for "HDR" in the netflix app and it should show up near the bottom.

Sadly Mad Max is quite a lot crappier than original....

Mad Max is GLORIOUSLY overdone. It's basically the movie equivalent of jacking the volume up to 11.

It is NOT "good" or subtle, but it is CRAZY.

Izuna

Banned
The S8 isn't a 10bit display is it? I thought the only the S3 tablet was. That could cause the banding.

Hmm, seems so.

It's a shame Samsung doesn't appear to give a shit.

I get banding on 8-bit gradients too from the player it seems. Maybe the video plyer is borked.

EvB

That video looked incredibly flat on my SDR 1440p PC monitor hah.
Thought it was missing graphical effects like basic shadowing. Seems to confirm the general feeling that HDR is most noticeable when going back to SDR. Been playing this in 4K HDR earlier this evening (LG B6).

I'd imagine that the game itself is probably toned differently for SDR and HDR output anyway. DF has uploaded HDR footage (with guessed HDR metadata?) and then youtube has then tonemapped that footage to SDR. It's not going to be representative of how it looks if HDR was disabled.

Izuna

Banned
It is Mobile UHD certified, so is 10bit and 500nit and 90% P3 coverage.

Whatever it is, the Samsung Video Player app doesn't display 8-bit content without banding on any Screen Mode.

Also, I just found out that Note 8 has HDR capability with Netflix ;/

Now I wanna swap phones.

I'm not really into the racing genre but GT has always impressed me.

Whatever it is, the Samsung Video Player app doesn't display 8-bit content without banding on any Screen Mode.

Now I wanna swap phones.

Can you handle phablets without a problem?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just a short, simple "slow tv" digital video of one dude arc welding on a construction site. However, it's got one of the most easy to understand examples of why HDR is more than just contrast. The welder has a huge steel carabiner buckle on his tool belt, and the color detail reflecting in that object alone is a real "oh I get it now" moment for why HDR is detail and information rather than just a broad improvement.

Mad Max is GLORIOUSLY overdone. It's basically the movie equivalent of jacking the volume up to 11.

Ah thanks. I think I’ve heard it mentioned before and kept thinking people were talking about this Japanese show hibana sparks for some reason. So I watched an episode and couldn’t figure out why people were thinking it was a good sample for Dolby vision/hdr10 Lol

EvB

Now I wanna swap phones.

Why don't you just watch it on youtube?

EvB

YouTube HDR doesn't work on the S8.

Pretty much all tech sites that report it works either didn't test it themselves or they're liars.

ah, so it lets you choose the HDR streams but doesn't play back in HDR?
youtube_hdr.png

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

Funnily enough thats what i don't like about lol pretty well from thunderdome on it was downhill

Izuna

Banned
ah, so it lets you choose the HDR streams but doesn't play back in HDR?

Pretty much. It says HDR but it doesn't activate HDR on the display. The easiest way to know this for sure is how the colours are the same in multi-view or that you can take a screenshot and it shows up vibrant in Rec.709 colours.

There's also the fact that it doesn't look like HDR.

I really want an Note 8 now :(

Pretty much. It says HDR but it doesn't activate HDR on the display. The easiest way to know this for sure is how the colours are the same in multi-view or that you can take a screenshot and it shows up vibrant in Rec.709 colours.

There's also the fact that it doesn't look like HDR.

I really want an Note 8 now :(

I assume same issue with the Tab S3 which also has a HDR display.

KageMaru

Can't agree. When playing an evening race the HDR made the trees look cartoony, kind of cell shaded without the thick black lines. Everything else was great. The HDR on the cars and track itself was fantastic. I ended up playing from the cockpit view just to avoid seeing the trees.

TV TCL-55P605

How do you have it calibrated for HDR? I played the demo on the same TV and thought it looked great. GTS was one of the best examples of HDR I've seen on the Pro.

tbh I still think Ratchet and Clank is still the best use of HDR.

TBH, Forza 7 HDR is better ;/ nothing beats the amazing lightning and daytime cycle.

I've only had a chance to try the demo on the PC and I'm not sure I agree. The implementation is good, with the sun peaking out after a storm being a highlight, but how it's done in GTS was impressive on a more consistent level. Maybe things change with the final game but I wouldn't know.

I believe your TV is not doing the job right... it is not good with 4k or HDR.

It is a cheaper TV good for everything else.

It's actually an excellent HDR gaming TV, especially for the price. The problem is either his specific TV or his calibrations. GTS looks awesome in HDR for me on the same model TV.

klier

Getting a 55" 4K HDR set next week. Will download the demo again on my Pro to see the light! Never played a game in 4K, checkerboard or whatever, nor have I played in HDR.
Slightly exited, because the demo itself wasn't earth shattering (apart from presentation), and I like the gameplay of Forza 7 better.

It's not a true 4K console

What does this even mean? What do resolution and HDR have to do with each other?

Gowans

Yeah, HDR is still very new for us. This was my very first full HDR video, in fact.

The process was quite time consuming! YouTube required 40 hours to process the video. It was stuck on 720p for the longest time. I assume that's the price you pay for tone mapping to SDR.

40 Hours wow, that is bonkers.

Its so appreciated for us who can view them on our TVs tho Dark, thank you.

I used to have a Lumia 950 XL, I think I can handle it.

Not sure if anyone in the universe wants to swap, however.

I guess I could always get it on contract.

I don't think you'll find a single soul willing to swap their Note 8 with and an S8.

Both are amazing smartphones but phablets belong to a niche market.

Flousn

I just recently bought a 49" Sony x8005e and am still messing around with HDR (base PS4). The everything-on-automatic setting (PS4 and TV, everything plugged in the correct HDMI ports) looked a bit washed out initially.
But just a slight increase in color saturation (until it matched the non-hdr saturation) did the trick for me.
I have no idea how HDR is actually supposed to look, but on my set, with the slight adjustments, it looks extremely realistic - with slightly less "popping" colors all around compared to non-hdr, but a richer color definition.
Also, the sun (or reflections) actually make me squint on reflex.

ddikxela

Okay I'm thinking about getting an HDR set for my bedroom. A 1080 HDR tv set should be perfect for gaming(moreso for GT Sport), right?
The price difference between 4k HDR & 1080 HDR will pay for my pro upgrade.

Huh, having a HDR calibration tool to be able to better optimize for people's different HDR TVs seems so simple it's brilliant.
This is not only in gt but yes always helpful
Okay I'm thinking about getting an HDR set for my bedroom. A 1080 HDR tv set should be perfect for gaming(moreso for GT Sport), right?
The price difference between 4k HDR & 1080 HDR will pay for my pro upgrade.
You really should just get a 4k hdr it's more than worth that difference

ss_lemonade

If the standard PS4 is doing HDR in RGB wouldn't that be 8-bit HDR on the regular vs 10-bit HDR on the Pro?

Not sure, but I don't think there is such a thing as 8bit HDR. Is the standard PS4 HDMI 1.4? If so, maybe with 1080p, you still have enough bandwidth available to support HDR with HDMI 1.4. Or is it somewhat a 2.0 compliant device, just like those mad theories by that one gaf member here from way back?

Izuna

Banned
All things aside, I don't think HDR in GTS does anything to overcome its shortfalls.

It has a very last gen look to everything that isn't the cars. The geometry, foliage, backgrounds... Reflections.

It really look alike a ok meow important high resolution cars and some new gen shader and put it over a PS3 game. The ground gives me Ridge Racer feels.

I can't agree that it is HDR's killer app. I feel like almost everything else I downloaded from Gamersyde is more impressive as a showcase of HDR.

Top Bottom