• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne/Nioh - am I wasting my money?

alt27

So, Im browsing the PS deals and I see these two games on for quite a nice price.

Now I usually avoid thease games like the plague as the percieved difficulty levels put me off. But their settings and worlds are right up my street.

I should say I dont think im a terrible gamer or anything but I have never really played these types of games before. I just usually play games on normal mode and I play alot of RPG games (recently stuff like Horizon, Nier, Hellblade, Witcher, Shadow of Mordor, etc etc)

Im happy to die a bunch and learn patterns of bosses and stuff. But are they so frustratingly hard that more casual gamers like me will be wasting my time and money?

And if not, what would be a better starter into this genre? Bloodborne or Nioh?

Or should I just not bother at all and stick with my casual 3rd person action games, LOL

Eusis

I'd go with Bloodborne as a more proper game of this type. Nioh's really good but it's definitely divergent, it's divided into stages/missions and is way focused on getting loot akin to Diablo.

The difficulty is overblown to the point where some people will have you believe that you take 3 steps in the game and instantly die

If you can play most games on normal you can figure it out, unless you have no patience whatsoever.

I'd recommend Bloodborne over Nioh

Jombie

Bloodborne is the better game -- amazing setting, bosses, gameplay. I found Nioh tedious and repetitive.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Haven't played Nioh, but Bloodborne is a really good game. You said yourself that you don't mind learning bosses...just take your time and enjoy the atmosphere

Zukkoyaki

I'm pretty casual and managed go get the platinum trophy in Bloodborne despite maybe 2 hours of experience with Souls. I personally think the difficulty is overblown and simply requires some patience and precision. It's definitely easier and less tedious than Nioh.

If possible try renting one of them.

So, Im browsing the PS deals and I see these two games on for quite a nice price.

Now I usually avoid thease games like the plague as the percieved difficulty levels put me off. But their settings and worlds are right up my street.

I should say I dont think im a terrible gamer or anything but I have never really played these types of games before. I just usually play games on normal mode and I play alot of RPG games (recently stuff like Horizon, Nier, Hellblade, Witcher, Shadow of Mordor, etc etc)

Im happy to die a bunch and learn patterns of bosses and stuff. But are they so frustratingly hard that more casual gamers like me will be wasting my time and money?

Or should I just not bother at all and stick with my casual 3rd person action games, LOL

Kunai and chain is an absolute monster against humans in Nioh. Nioh also gets severely easier as it goes on. Combats a lot deeper imo than Bloodborne.

Nioh is top notch, and were more likely to get a Nioh 2 than a BB sequel I think

Nioh is less obtuse than Bloodborne.

With a proper story and a proper tutorial which explains pretty much everything.

It's also more forgiving because if you fuck up for your character build you can always respec. Nothing is permanent.

And if you're a fan of fast paced combat action game, Nioh has that Ninja Gaiden blood in it.

Overall if you're new to these types of game, you should start with Nioh first.

Izuna

Banned
They aren't really the same genre.

Think of Nioh as a more difficult Diablo.

I vastly prefer it but I guess Bloodborne is a more complete game? Bored me however.

Van Bur3n

Bloodborne is the simpler of the two, particularly when it comes to combat. Nioh involves a lot of different mechanics while also taking into account your loot. BB will probably be easier to grasp. It's more action than it is RPG like other Souls games.

With that said, so long as you possess any cognitive ability to learn, you should be fine.

Pilgrimzero

Loved Bloodbornes setting but I could never beat the boss of the first area. And having to rescavange for bullets and healing items etc really turned me off.

As for the beginning of it, it took me a couple of hours just to walk down the first real street without getting killed. Once you learn how to attack and dodge etc it gets better. Though I say this as someone who only experienced the first level.

My gaming time is a premium. I don’t have the time (or the will anymore) to chug through a game. If I was a single man with little to no responsibilities I’d probably have devoted to it the time it needs, but as a family man, I just don’t have the time or desire.

Give me something like a FPS or a new Uncharted any day of the week. May take me awhile to beat it but atleast I fill like I’m using my gaming time to its fullest.

Jimrpg

They're both great. Pick the cheaper one and see if you like the genre.

It's not that hard, but they do take some repetition to learn. You can't really brute force your way to the end.

zsswimmer

Nioh is like a fast paced action RPG with Diablo esque loot, Bloodborne isn't really similar. Honestly I found Nioh's combat harder coming from BB but I was probably thrown off by the timing

Kyoufu

Difficulty is subjective. It could be really tough for one person but easy for another. They're great games and should be played regardless. Play in co-op if you're struggling solo or if you have more fun playing with other people.

Blackage

Bloodborne is the easiest Souls game to get into imo, I rage quit Dark Souls games after a couple of hours but I actually beat Bloodborne somehow.

I would say go with both games as the difference between them is big enough to make both feel very fresh. You will do just fine in both games mate. My friend, who is the biggest casual ever, got platinum in Bloodborne. The game is not that difficult once you figure things out and trust me you will very fast. Nioh is also a great game and it has many difficulty setting but it will make you start at the lowest so you won't have a hard time playing it on Way of the Samurai.

Zaventem

Bloodborne has the easier "start" imo due to the built in healing effect. It's still a brutal and i would suggest looking into the game more if you know you're not really a fan of these kinds of games.

Get Bloodborne already. You won't regret it!

Noj2QSJ.gif

lh3YDj7.gif

RNFduub.gif

OP I'm going to suggestion something that is unspeakable in the Souls community. But because I was once in your position and I know how to give you confidence.

Hear me out- watch a youtube walkthrough of an idiot doing a no leveling run of either Dark Souls or Demons Soul, then think to yourself "Well if he could do it..."

If you're still worried- watch videos of someone playing the level ahead of what you're about to play so you'll not be taken surprise by a sudden case of bullshit. This is so any death would be on you and not an unforeseen boulder.

Now I know what you're thinking, but I can assure you that it doesn't ruin the game for you because despite doing that I still really enjoy my time and had a real challenge with the bosses.

The enviroment, lore and exploration in Bloodborne is much deeper and more interesting.

That being said, Nioh has more intricate combat.

I think as a complete game, Bloodborne wins hands down, but based solely on gameplay Nioh is better.

I played Nier Automata and Persona 5 mostly on easy because the challenges just weren't worth it to me and too frustrating otherwise.

I platinumed Nioh. It's solid.

Vitten

Nioh is only somewhat dificult for like the first 20% of the game, after that it's quite easy actually.

Don't let its reputation stop you from discovering a great game.

I'd go with Bloodborne as a more proper game of this type. Nioh's really good but it's definitely divergent, it's divided into stages/missions and is way focused on getting loot akin to Diablo.

NioH was fun but the focus on loot did turn me off a bit. I didn’t finish it because it made me want to go back and beat Dark Souls 3. I guess it depends on why someone plays these games. For me it’s mainly about the exploration and challenge. NioH didn’t really deliver on the exploration front. Still a great game that I’ll go back and finish eventually

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My buddy tried to talk me into playing DS for years. When BB came out, he basically begged me to try it. I was like you... I don't have the patience to get fucked over and over again. Playing a game just cause it's hard didn't sound like fun.

Bloodborne ended up being in my Top Ten of All Time. Easily. It's the best game of this generation, bar none. Period. No question.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The difficulty of these games is overblown. Or maybe misinterpreted is the right word.

They're tough, but in most scenarios very fair and balanced. Their reputation for punishing difficulty gives the impression of design skewered to annoy the player and unjustly cripple their progress. This isn't the case. The Souls series (including Bloodborne) have mostly tightly balanced and responsive underlining game mechanisms that just require focus and attention to progress.

More to the point, death is part of the gameplay loop. It's not like other games where dying is seen as absolute failure where you're booted up to a loading screen or checkpoint or whatever. Dying in these games is expected and the reset to the nearest spawn a logical part of progression. Dying as a means of learning how encounters and stretches of the game are laid out is a valid strategy. And the games are balanced in such a way that the experience lost on dying is rarely so significant that you're be disadvantaged.

They're tough games, to be sure, but they're logic driven and inviting of death. The reputation they have as some mind bogglingly difficulty nightmare where the player must endure endless frustration and punishment isn't accurate. Part of the learning curve with the Souls series is throwing yourself in, probably dying, and realizing it's not that big of a deal.

carlsojo

Yes, you're wasting your money. GAF loves these games, you know the answer they'll give you. If you don't like hard games, don't buy them.

Their difficulty isn't overblown. At least on Bloodborne you can't lower the difficulty level either. You're going to be very frustrated very quickly.

SexyFish

Banned
Ni-oh is far better in just about every way. Bloodborne is easily the worst of any of the Souls games.
This hurts like the time my friend said he thought Lords of the Fallen was fantastic and a “Dark Souls killer”.

OP, get Bloodborne. It is the least difficult of the souls games in my opinion and a ton of fun.

Alebelly

Both are great. Bloodborne is really tough at the beginning, but is totally doable. I was able to beat it and Im a fairly casual player.

Nioh, is way fucking hard for me. Its difficulty continuously ramps up, I've only gotten half way through, I doubt Ill ever get much further.

Servbot24

Banned
Bloodborne is difficult to start for newcomers. Once you get through the first boss though you'll build momentum and the rest won't be so difficult for you. Absolutely buy it.

Z..

I personally think the difficulty is overblown and simply requires some patience and precision.

This. Games have never really been hard, just demanding and time consuming. They're a complete breeze compared to most 3rd gen games.

kliklik

Banned
I never played the Souls games before I played Bloodborne and now I have the plat.

The most crucial thing to success is not your level of experience or how "hardcore" a gamer you are. It's PATIENCE, CAUTION, and OBSERVATION. If you're the type of gamer who rushes through things, runs into a room without looking, etc., you're going to have a hard time. If you're cautious and observant, you'll have a great time.

Keep in mind that the first area of Bloodborne is quite tricky because you cant level up until you gain Insight. The fastest way to do this is to "discover" one of the bosses (the one on the bridge is closest) and then die. Now you can actually spend the blood echoes you gather. You could also go down into the sewers and find a madman's knowledge item that'll give you Insight when you use it, as well as new armour and a new weapon iirc. But the sewers can be pretty tricky, so it's probably easier to die at the boss to get some Insight.

OP I'm going to suggestion something that is unspeakable in the Souls community. But because I was once in your position and I know how to give you confidence.

Hear me out- watch a youtube walkthrough of an idiot doing a no leveling run of either Dark Souls or Demons Soul, then think to yourself "Well if he could do it..."

Yep, this is what gave me the confidence to try it. I was watching a Let's Play and noticing all the mistakes he was making, getting annoyed that he was missing things, and eventually realised I could do better.

Bloodborne. Do it. Don't be scared, WE will help you, and by WE I mean all of the Bloodborne GAF.

Join the hunt my friend, you won't regret it.

Its the only game in recent years outside loot based ARPGS that I've played numerous times and my enjoyment has not diminished. I've played through this game solo, and with friends probably 4-5 times, and there was nothing like exploring/theorycrafting the lore with GAF early on. That was a great experience.

It's the only PS4 games I've actually held onto. Everything else, including Nioh I sold after completion. I may pick it up again someday on PC or PS4 again. But I'd probably play BB again first.

Ni-oh is far better in just about every way. Bloodborne is easily the worst of any of the Souls games.

and Dead Space 3 is the best Dead Space, Silent Hill 2 is the worst Silent Hill, Sonic '06 is the best Sonic, Ascension is the best God of War, DMC2 is the best DMC, MGS4 is the best MGS, Operation Raccoon City is the best Resident Evil...

suicide_meme__1_by_elkaez-d8owe4f.jpg

Yam's

As much as I love Nioh, Bloodborne is just a game you shouldn't miss. It got crazy atmosphere, a way better level design and you'll never forget your adventure in its world.

The beginning can be a bit daunting, but if you play patiently and are willing to learn how to tackle this kind of game you'll be fine. Those games are not as hard as people sometimes make them out to be. Besides you can always summon help from other players for harder boss if you are truly stucked.

But if Bloodborne's setting appeals to you, don't hesitate, you won't regret it.

If you're more looking after a better gameplay experience, then consider Nioh instead.

Bluehound

Neo Member
Nioh is much more fast-paced than Bloodborne and it is not afraid to throw some cutscenes for storyline. This game doesn't have any QTEs and relies quite heavily on skill system and various buffs. And even if you mess up your build, you can always respec via books you get either as mission reward or purchase (price goes up after each purchase, does have a cap tho). I first treated it like Bloodborne but they are not similar games.

They are both awesome games tho. Pick them both. They are not that difficult but especially Nioh has some wake-up checks.

If you are like me and you hate challenge and dying, then yes, you would be wasting your money. That's why I still haven't bought the games even though they've been on sale many times now.

I can't fucking stand Soulsborne games, and I gave it a fair shot with Bloodborne. Hate it. Legitimately one of my worst experiences ever playing a game. I'd refund this trash game if I had the option.

kliklik

Banned
If you are like me and you hate challenge and dying, then yes, you would be wasting your money. That's why I still haven't bought the games even though they've been on sale many times now.

If you hate dying, then just don't die.

If you're observant and patient, you won't be dying all that much. I die way more in a run-of-the-mill platformer.

HenryEen

Banned
Like you, I am interested in Dark Souls and Bloodborne mainly for the world and setting and just like you I'm not that good in playing action game (100% always play on Normal difficulty).

Probably will get lynched by saying this, but I managed to finish Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3 using guides. It took a HUGE chunk of difficulty of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Edit : Just want to say I died more times in Uncharted 1 than in Bloodborne lol.

Top Bottom