• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for The Bourne Ultimatum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mute

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
i've never seen the first two except for the last 20 minutes of the 2nd Bourne movie. The ****ing spastic camera-quick shots of the car scene made me nauseous. It was like Chris Nolan fight scene times 1000.
Yeah, the second one was practically ruined by a million camera cuts in every action scene of the movie. I didn't even get the shitty Yahoo player to work, but I'm hoping this movie is good. I certainly liked the first one.

bud

Solo said:
Also, Ultimatum, bud.

me no comprende :(

Teh Hamburglar said:
i've never seen the first two except for the last 20 minutes of the 2nd Bourne movie. The ****ing spastic camera-quick shots of the car scene made me nauseous. It was like Chris Nolan fight scene times 1000.

I agree that the camera work in batman begins was hectic to say the least, especially during the action scenes. It got to the point where it was difficult to really enjoy the movie and because i kept looking for what was actually going on. It works in the bourne movies imo becuase it's not too hectic while still keeping the documentary style filming.

Also, damon>bale

temp

posting on contract only
Solo said:
Can someone else please bitch about Greengrass' style? I dont think enough of you have in this thread. Its the way he likes to shoot his films, and it doesnt appear to be changing soon. Get over it. I think the style worked great for Supremacy, and United 93 wouldnt have been the same great film it was if the hectic, documentary style shooting wasnt present.
Solo said:
Can someone else please bitch about the crazy gadgets and retarded villains of the Bond movies? I dont think enough of you have in this thread. Its the way the producers like to make the films, and it doesnt appear to be changing soon. Get over it. I think the style worked great for Thunderball, and Die Another Day wouldn't have been the same if that loony style wasnt present.

madara

I love these movies, I could watch them all day. Do you get the same vibe with books and are there alot in this series?

bud

madara said:
I love these movies, I could watch them all day. Do you get the same vibe with books and are there alot in this series?

iirc, it was released as a trilogy and they're adapting all books into a movie. i do remember reading somewhere that the movie ultimatum will be different from the book.

Solo

temp said:

Uh, what? The Bond movies were in the shitter, and deserved to bitched out by any self respecting fan. The Bourne movies, on the other hand, have both been great, so people bitching over shit like this is pointless.

Basically, your point would be valid if I was bitching about, say, the cinematography of CR, which I haven't.

Mashing

I don't have a problem with teh documentary style camera movement, but I DO get bothered by the quick cuts. Why doesn't he like holding an action shot for more than 2 seconds?

Solo

Mashing said:
I don't have a problem with teh documentary style camera movement, but I DO get bothered by the quick cuts. Why doesn't he like holding an action shot for more than 2 seconds?

Why does Peter Jackson like to abuse slow-mo like a 2 dollar hooker? Who knows!? Its called personal style, or lack thereof.

Solo said:
Why does Peter Jackson like to abuse slow-mo like a 2 dollar hooker? Who knows!? Its called personal style, or lack thereof.

exactly. Some Styles suck. This Quick cut style for action is the sucky kind.

whytemyke said:
Are the cuts and editing really going to keep anyone from seeing this who wants to?

No way but it will dampen the enjoyment for a lot of ppl. Making action scenes seem incoherant and random is not the same same as making them intense and hectic.

temp

posting on contract only
Solo said:
Uh, what? The Bond movies were in the shitter, and deserved to bitched out by any self respecting fan. The Bourne movies, on the other hand, have both been great, so people bitching over shit like this is pointless.

Basically, your point would be valid if I was bitching about, say, the cinematography of CR, which I haven't.
So you're saying that because the movies are good in regards to plot or acting or overall storytelling that it's impossible to complain about another part of the movie.

Solo

No, all Im saying that with all the shit we get that passes for action/thriller movies these days, do we really need to tear down the few franchises that, for the most part, get it right?

Now, perhaps I dont have a grasp on how bad some of you found the camera work, as I never saw the film in theatres, only on DVD, so I'll concede that. Perhaps the big screen would make this movie seem unwatchable.

Solo said:
No, all Im saying that with all the shit we get that passes for action/thriller movies these days, do we really need to tear down the few franchises that, for the most part, get it right?

Now, perhaps I dont have a grasp on how bad some of you found the camera work, as I never saw the film in theatres, only on DVD, so I'll concede that. Perhaps the big screen would make this movie seem unwatchable.

Action is the only aspect that was sub par otherwise no one is tearing the movie down.

Peter Jackson hate is always welcome tho.

temp

posting on contract only
Solo said:

So, no but yes? Anyway, if you were saying that people constantly complaining about the shaky cam was annoying then that would be understandable, but defending something using the fact that everything else is good is sort of stupid. I mean, like you said, it does add sort of a real, documentary feel to the movie, but I think they could probably keep that and still tone it down a bit.

Solo

Kabuki Waq said:
Peter Jackson hate is always welcome tho.

On this, we can finally agree.

temp said:
So, no but yes? Anyway, if you were saying that people constantly complaining about the shaky cam was annoying then that would be understandable, but defending something using the fact that everything else is good is sort of stupid. I mean, like you said, it does add sort of a real, documentary feel to the movie, but I think they could probably keep that and still tone it down a bit.

Fair enough.

Timbuktu

Solo said:

When you talk about abusing slow-mo, I'd think of Snyder and his 300. That's abusing, not Jackson.

I'd agree about the quick cuts though, you don't need them for documentary style, for either immersion or realism. Not everyone has to do it like Children of Men, but I do think MTV style cuts are as least partly due to a lazy fit-it-in-post attitude. I don't mind cuts as long as they're there for a reason and I know what I'm looking at and where from.

Solo

Prime crotch said:
No but slow motion? I would associate a lot of things to Peter Jackson like B-movie director but slow-mo?

Did you see any of the LOTR movies or King Kong?

aku:jiki

Timbuktu said:
When you talk about abusing slow-mo, I'd think of Snyder and his 300. That's abusing, not Jackson.
Are you the backwards man? Snyder's use of slow-mo was very effective and stylish. Jackson's is cheesy and lame.

Solo said:
Did you see any of the LOTR movies or King Kong?
I saw every movie by him except King Kong, even Bad Taste and I don't recall any slow motion abuse. You talk like if he was John Woo or something.

bud

I don't remember PJ going overboard with the slow-mo. He does use some slow-mo sequences but they're not long and irritating at all.

Loved both of the first two, each with its own merits. This and Ratatouille are the two movies I'm most anticipating seeing in theaters this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom