• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the top 7... nintendo mistakes

ferricide

HomShaBom said:
it's fantastic insights like these that keep me coming back to GAF for feedback on our editorial content!

nubbe said:
Thats sooooo 2002... Top 7 Sony mistakes would be more appropriate for 2007 :p
i don't think there's anything more tired than bitching about sony right now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ferricide said:
it's fantastic insights like these that keep me coming back to GAF for feedback on our editorial content!

i don't think there's anything more tired than bitching about sony right now.

Well, it would be nice if we go a week with out them blundering on one front or another.

ferricide

Epiphyte said:
So your posting trollbait just for the hell of it?

I suppose it'll rack up a bunch of page views if nothing else.
discussing mistakes nintendo made is trollbait? have we come that far?

mabuza

Banned
Epiphyte said:
So your posting trollbait just for the hell of it?

I suppose it'll rack up a bunch of page views if nothing else.
how the **** is it a troll bait? i guess you would have prefered if it was sony instead huh? just chill

JDSN

Banned
Because what do you do next? Five years from now, when the PS4 and NextBox show up, they're going to jump in hardware power again. And then Nintendo's left with a machine that looks two generations old instead of one. The motion controls, now considered somewhere in between "the best damn thing that's ever happened in the world" to "gimmicky stupid childish nonsense," will be super played out and exploited. Unless there's some other gameplay innovation on the horizon, Wii could be viewed as a fad, susceptible to the same fickle emotions that killed snap bracelets, pet rocks and Sega. And if Nintendo bites the bullet and gives the machine a visual kick in the pants, well there goes its whole mantra that graphics don't matter. There's just enough steam with this idea to last one generation, and none after that.

That article was full of stupid crap, but that one wins the prize.

I dont understand why isnt Gamedaily banned, especially after this crappy "feature".

suaveric

i didn't read past the first "mistake". how could the Wii be considered any kind of mistake right now? it's kicking every one's ass. if it stalls out in a few years, then you'd have a point.

plus, Wii Sports 2 will be out way before the next console from Nintendo and it will most likely sell as well as the first one. And the next system out will have more graphical horse power, Nintendo never said graphics were completely unimportant, just that they were no the be-all end-all of new consoles.

bud

naughty-dog-ps3-project-untitled-20060526042802867-000.jpg

scr_006-763626.jpg

alan-wake-4.jpg

lol

Calling the Wii a mistake right now is retarded. We'll know if it is eventually but right now, all signs indicate that it is one of Nintendo's most brilliant moves. That was the article's only problem though. The other six seem sound.

ferricide

suaveric said:
i didn't read past the first "mistake". how could the Wii be considered any kind of mistake right now? it's kicking every one's ass. if it stalls out in a few years, then you'd have a point.
that's what it kinda says, though, right? it's tentative. the word is "potential".

GhostSeed

I just skimmed the article but I didn't see anything about making a Purple GameCube.
Which was one of the bigger mistakes for that system.

Also that stupid-ass GBA-GC connectivity making FF:CC one of the most worthless exclusives for the GC.

Epiphyte

ferricide said:
discussing mistakes nintendo made is trollbait? have we come that far?
In this case, your motives are clear:
1. Post inflammatory article, be it about Nintendo, Sony, MS or Too Human
2. Quickly start thread on GAF "What do you guys think"
3. Watch the pageviews roll in
4. Profit!

The article itself is just a tired summary of shit we've seen a million times before. If you'd gone farther than just saying "The Virtual Boy? LOL!" this article might rise above simply being a controversial piece for the sake of controversy.

HomShaBom

Banned
LiveWire said:
Good article, pretty much hits the nail on the head. Not suprised to see the Nintendo Hit Squad out in force though. :lol

Nintendo Hit Squad? WTF. You try too hard. This article just plain sucks, doesn't take a Nintendo fanboy to see that.

GameGamer

I hope GAF gets a percentage of the revenue from the extra clicks they get.

Otherwise, they should take out a banner ad like everyone else.

Tobor

ferricide said:
that's what it kinda says, though, right? it's tentative. the word is "potential".

Maybe you should retitle the article "Nintendo's top 6 mistakes and 1 potential mistake" then.

ferricide

Kobun Heat said:
I agree with... one of these.

Dammit, you're going to make me write my own list, aren't you?
sure!

that works for me. i'm genuinely curious what people think. well, people who are you, so far.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kobun Heat said:
I agree with... one of these.

Dammit, you're going to make me write my own list, aren't you?

Yes, yes we are Kholer. Also, it is that standing up to Sony one isn't it.

um in no particular order it ought to be

-n64 RAM expansion, cartridges, etc
-virtual boy
-not positioning the DS as the GBA's successor from day one (not that it made things bad for them, i'm just saying they could be in even better shape with it today if you can imagine that)
-trusting capcom

that about covers most of it, nintendo hasn't made many mistakes, it's just that the ones they have made have hurt them TONS

When the next generation of systems comes out Nintendo will execute the option to knife them out of the water with upgraded everything.

The N64's controller was the most ghastly thing the world had seen since the Virtual Boy. Yeah, the analog stick was revolutionary, but did you look at the rest of this beast? Did you ever see a non-gamer or even a casual player try to hold it after playing a PlayStation game? It was painful. Hell, even us seasoned gamers couldn't get over the plastic trident

What the heck? I played dozens of N64 games for hundreds of hours and never once felt like it was hassle at all. And this is coming from someone who also owned a Playstation for the majority of the N64's lifespan.

SantaC

ehh I only agree with virtual boy. Here is my quick list:

7. No CD-rom for N64
6. No "normal" DVD for Gamecube
5. No front/back light on first GBA
4. Pissing off Konami after the snes days
3. Was very late to add an online strategy
2. Didn't secure enough 3rd party exclusives during N64 and GC days
1. Underestimated the importance of Square/Squeenix

joetachi

SantaC said:

7. No CD-rom for N64

This is the correct list and their biggest mistakes are 1 an 2.

PkunkFury

SantaC said:

7. No CD-rom for N64

this is already a much better list, as it describes specific instances. Though I would include the censoring Mortal Kombat deal.

The article posted here feels like a cry for website hits. Calling the Wii a mistake based on the imagined situation that demand will die down.... the machine's 5 months old and so far it's the best 5 months Nintendo's ever had. Anyone with journalistic integrity would have at least left it off the list until a couple years could prove the point.

Other stuff like "Everything about the N64" and "Opening the doors for Sony" are just generic catch alls that people talk about on a regular basis. The article would be much better if it could firmly identify what aspects of the N64 should have made the list, as the above poster has done.

Top Bottom