• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the top 7... nintendo mistakes

Gigglepoo

Joe Molotov said:
He said 1889, which is when Nintendo was founded.

My mistake. I have no idea why someone would have written 1889, though. Is it to show off that you knew when Nintendo was founded? The topic was third party relations. They did not have to worry about other card companies wanting to develop for Nintendo's proprietary format back then.

Brak

Gigglepoo said:
No one seems to agree with my belief that selling Rare was a huge mistake... for both companies.

Rare was the most important developer for the Nintendo 64, including EAD. They singlehandedly carried that system, making mainstream hits for both older (GE) and younger (BK) gamers, along with niche games (Blast Corps) to fill out the lineup. Without Rare, the N64 would have been one of the worst systems around. With them, it was one of my favorite consoles.

Furthermore, Rare would excel on the Wii. They are imaginative and creative. They are not a "mature" developer. They, like Nintendo, are at their best when they make games for everyone. With Rare on the Wii now we would have huge, great games to play while we wait for Nintendo's own big guns. With Rare we would have a company showing why motion controls are important instead of just tacking them on to existing games. Nintendo made a ton of money initially, but I think selling Rare ultimately hurt them.

I don't have a list made out, but I would definetely put this sale near the top. I agree with Kohler that going with carts for the N64 was the biggest mistake Nintendo has ever made.
It was the worst thing that happened to Rare, I'll give you that. In the end though, I think it's still a net gain for Nintendo. Especially since they continue to get Rare games on the GBA/DS.

R0nn

1. Pissing off third parties ever since the NES
This played a major part in many third parties converting en masse to Sony as soon as the Playstation was released. Third party support has been a big problem for Nintendo ever since. It's probably the single biggest issue Nintendo is facing nowadays, which is kinda ironic since they really made some big profits from pissing off third parties during the 8-bit days in particular.

2. The Nintendo 64
The controller was revolutionary, but wasn't flexible enough and had a subpar ergonomic design. Cartridges prevented loading times, but were way to expensive to produce (compared to CD-ROM) and lacked in storage space, all of which put off third parties even further (and consumers/retail). It's RAM was too limited, so devs couldn't churn everything out of the hardware that could've been possible (which made development harder, further putting off third parties, and made the older PS1 technically superior in some regards) and it also created a slight split in the userbase through the introduction of the RAM pack. It was also delayed too much, which gave Sony a lot of free room to build the Playstation brand. The four controller ports were probably the console's best feature, since that didn't carry any disadvantages.

3. Opting for GBA connectivity instead of an online service
I know why Nintendo ditched online. It wouldn't be profitable, and Nintendo only puts their support behind things of which they're sure that it will rake in a big pile of benjamins. Still, not opting for online hurt the GameCube more than it helped. Nintendo had a big opportunity to kick in a very positive mindshare around their console and it's games by matching online gameplay with the likes of Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pokémon, Animal Crossing and many others, but they completely blew that opportunity. Instead, they went with GBA connectivity which nobody was really interested in. Sure, later on some great concepts were created, like Four Swords Adventures, but it was too little, too late. How many people owning a GameCube, also owned a GBA and just happened to have at least three different friends with GBAs as well? Simply too few to turn connectivity into a viable alternative to online gaming. This entire decision basically cemented the GameCube as the third choice system behind the PS2 and even Xbox. It was really bad for it's overall mindshare.

4. Not caring about Europe at all
Europe is the second biggest territory for games in the world. It even has the potential to become the biggest territory overall. This is true now, but it was also true during the nineties. Still, Nintendo basically failed to acknowledge this, possibly due to only marginal success in the region with the NES and SNES compared to SEGA's products. Whatever the reason, they ****ed Europe over in many regards, including late releases of games and hardware, as well as many games never actually getting a release over here (I live in Europe myself). Of course, Sony saw the opportunity and completely took over the territory from both SEGA and Nintendo when they released the Playstation. They were the first company to acknowledge the importance of the territory and put full support behind it in every regard. Europe became Sonyland, effectively stealing away a very big part of the worldwide market from Nintendo.

5. The GameCube
While this console started off promising with solid third party support from the get go, a fast and efficient hardware architecture and the usual Nintendo support, it's initial success dropped off fairly quickly. First of all, Nintendo initially tried to be too much like their competitors. Outside of Nintendo support, the console had nothing going for it that made it stand out from other offerings. It was simply another next-gen console next to the already well established PS2 and the very promising Xbox with it's built-in harddrive and (later on) solid Xbox Live! service. The launch was kinda rough in itself, since Mario couldn't make launch as well as several second party products which Nintendo had put a lot of faith in (four Retro Studios games and Eternal Darkness come to mind). They also put too much faith in getting more mature content on their platform, instead of focusing on their own strengths and building a unique software library. Then later on, they rushed their own big titles (TWW, SMS), ditched online for connectivity (see #3) and lost vision (suddenly dropping second party support, which was so important to them at first among other things). The looks of the system (purple lunchbox) didn't help them out either. All of these elements quickly turned the GCN into the third system of choice for publishers, consumers and retail.

There you have it, top 5 of biggest mistakes by Nintendo. Well, at least to me. You're free to disagree of course, but I believe that this list is quite a bit better than the gamesradar one. It's ridiculous in itself that they actually listed making the Wii as one of Nintendo's biggest mistakes, since they basically adressed ALL of their previous big mistakes (going from the above list) with that system up to this point.

Beezy said:
Yeah. I don't recall Nintendo saying graphics technology is something that should never be improved, but that it's not worth focusing on so much that the machine becomes large, more difficult to manufacture, sold at a loss, and expensive for the consumer.

Monk

Banned
Rare changed for the worse when they were second party to Nintendo. Their games were so much better in the NES days. Hopefully now that they are out of Nintendo's clutches we get to see more of the likes of Marble Madness, Battletoads and Wizards and Warriors.

StevieP

Banned
Monk said:
Rare changed for the worse when they were second party to Nintendo. Their games were so much better in the NES days. Hopefully now that they are out of Nintendo's clutches we get to see more of the likes of Marble Madness, Battletoads and Wizards and Warriors.

[Anihawk] Yeah, Rare's output has been worlds better under Microsoft's grip. [/Anihawk]

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah. I don't recall Nintendo saying graphics technology is something that should never be improved, but that it's not worth focusing on so much that the machine becomes large, more difficult to manufacture, sold at a loss, and expensive for the consumer.

Well...if they were worrying about the consumer, they could have made a console packed quite a punch at the same price they're selling Wii now. I'd actually imagine it could probably be more powerful relative to when the GC launched, especially at the higher price.

tanod

when is my burrito
Isn't there a rule about pimping your own content? If this article had any worthwhile content, somebody could have created a legitimate thread.

StevieP

Banned
Oblivion said:
Well...if they were worrying about the consumer, they could have made a console packed quite a punch at the same price they're selling Wii now. I'd actually imagine it could probably be more powerful relative to when the GC launched, especially at the higher price.

Simply put, the R&D was spent elsewhere this time. And I'd wager that if the competition wasn't so expensive, the Wii, with WiiSports included, would've been $200.

mugwhump

Eeeeeeeeeeeew at #7.
Because what do you do next? Five years from now, when the PS4 and NextBox show up, they're going to jump in hardware power again. And then Nintendo's left with a machine that looks two generations old instead of one. And if Nintendo bites the bullet and gives the machine a visual kick in the pants, well there goes its whole mantra that graphics don't matter.
WTF? Why should they, or anyone else, care about their PR line? Their reputation would be hurt far more by making their system so riduculously underpowered. I can't believe just two points later you brought up the "consumers don't want online games" quote. Doesn't that prove they don't care about what they said years ago?

The motion controls, now considered somewhere in between "the best damn thing that's ever happened in the world" to "gimmicky stupid childish nonsense," will be super played out and exploited.
Is that so?
Casuals will be tired of Wii Sports, with no interest in shelling out $50 for a Wii Sports 2, and the typical gamer will be more interested in playing something with a normal controller, one you don't have to clear the room for.
Will they now?
You don't even try to support your predictions... which you kind of need to, when all current real-world evidence contradicts you.

And then the bit about them withholding Mii and online code... XD

Hopefully when IGN steals this article from the fountain of creativity that is Games Radar they'll edit out the shityness.

Deku

Banned
I stopped reading when the author mentioned the red herring 'what if people tire of Wii sports' argument. It's about as valid as asking the question 'What if people tire of FF VII'

KINGMOKU

ferricide said:
in my experience that's the inevitable result of putting up a website/printing a magazine anyway. =)

yes, i'm interested to hear what people think of this article. and i'm not just putting it up on GAF for cheap clicks (i won't complain about them either!) i'm mostly putting it up because nobody on GAF reads gamesradar right now, really, and we do have a lot of interesting content these days.

of course, this article isn't well-tailored to the GAF audience (1up does a great job of targeting the GAF audience; we aren't really trying) because, as has been pointed out, this is information that most people around here would know.

but there it is. not too cynical in the end, is it?

ferricide said:
sure!

that works for me. i'm genuinely curious what people think. well, people who are you, so far.
Guess some of our opinions dont matter then, eh?

ferricide said:
Because what do you do next? Five years from now, when the PS4 and NextBox show up, they're going to jump in hardware power again. And then Nintendo's left with a machine that looks two generations old instead of one.
What the hell does this mean? Nintendo wont release a new machine when the others do? You imply that they will be two generations behind then. So I guess your assuming that they wont be making another gaming console? You should be fired just for that alone, but I will continue.

ferricide said:
The motion controls, now considered somewhere in between "the best damn thing that's ever happened in the world" to "gimmicky stupid childish nonsense," will be super played out and exploited. Unless there's some other gameplay innovation on the horizon, Wii could be viewed as a fad, susceptible to the same fickle emotions that killed snap bracelets, pet rocks and Sega. And if Nintendo bites the bullet and gives the machine a visual kick in the pants, well there goes its whole mantra that graphics don't matter. There's just enough steam with this idea to last one generation, and none after that
This whole part is so riddled with stupidity, I dont even know where to start, so I guess at the begining. "Super played out, and exploited". Kinda like the analog stick? Shoulder buttons? Digital pad? face buttons?!?!? Good god. Comparing Nintendo's Wii, wich is on global fire right now to a pet rock, snap bracelets, or, for the love of god, sega is even more grounds for firing. Sega was a fad? I mean the whole company? As for the kick in the pants visually, wouldnt that come with, ya know, a new machine? You seem to be implying, once again, that Nintendo cant release a, *gasp*, new machine(You know, just like the competition) with an update in graphics. My brain just cant seem to understand what the HELL your talking about, at all.

Now the next part, is truly mind-bending.

ferricide said:
Today, the Wii is insanely popular with almost every audience. But if this wave of good vibes ever ends, Nintendo's gonna be stranded. Casuals will be tired of Wii Sports, with no interest in shelling out $50 for a Wii Sports 2, and the typical gamer will be more interested in playing something with a normal controller, one you don't have to clear the room for.

Sure we love Super Paper Mario and can't wait to see Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but do either of these games have anything to do with the Wii Remote's primary function? Nope. And most third party games that find their way onto the system have control setups that baffle even the most hardcore of gamers. Hold B while flicking up to swing a punch? Please. Nintendo better have some crazy unique ideas coming up or we'll have to start clutching our DS systems even closer.

So your not only saying that it could end, but every segment of gaming around the same time will suddenly lose interest in the Wii? That's so improbable, I would have to assume you either had a 1.)massive lack of sleep, or 2.)put something else into your body altering time-space itself.

I cant evem finish my tirade. My brain hurts.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Deku said:
I stopped reading when the author mentioned the red herring 'what if people tire of Wii sports' argument. It's about as valid as asking the question 'What if people tire of FF VII'
Oh dear God...You mean 10 years from now we're going to see a bunch of random fanboys furiously masturbating to Wii Sports still claimg it is "THE BEST GAME EVER!!!" while clamoring for a remake?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dear me, apart from the obvious mistakes Ninty made (The VB, N64 cd no-go and Third party things), the entire article was biased against Nintendo, firstly, the Wii a mistake? Ok... A console that is top selling worldwide, sold out everywhere and has a huge positive reception by non and gamers alike, big mistake Nintendo, should have made a PS3-a-like.

Also, the Number 1 mistake has been disputed so many times, because neither party has really said much about the matter since, to say Nintendo screwed Sony royally could be totally untrue, after all there still are claims flying about that Sony wanted near total creative control over games coming to the Playstation, effectively turning Ninty into a glorified 3rd party, the Sony issue hurt Nintendo big time, but I truly think the alternative may have destroyed Nintendo, rather than just allowing a rival through the door.

Deku said:
'What if people tire of FF VII'
I have dreams about this.

worldwithoutlawyersdy0.gif

Nintendo has really only made one huge mistake.

Not properly responding to the Playstation.

They went in with what they thought was the best direction for making games with the N64. Sony brought about a better business model that allowed 3rd parties to make more money and take less risk.

Nintendo Lost.

It's taken them more than a decade to repair the damage and steal the thunder back from Sony.

In 2010 or 2011 Sony and Microsoft will try and compete with Nintendo by adding motion controls to their new consoles, but it will fail to sway very many customers.

At some point someone will come up with the next great change that will move the market somewhere else. I can't wait to see what it is. I hope it's not as boring as just a new business model.

ferricide

tanod said:
Isn't there a rule about pimping your own content? If this article had any worthwhile content, somebody could have created a legitimate thread.
not AFAIK, but i'd be happy to hear if it is.

GAF TOS said:
F. Spam
Outside advertisements or solicitations promoted by posting messages, private messaging, or e-mailing users via GAF is unacceptable and will be subject to banning. Examples include: pyramid schemes, your own website, etc...
this isn't alliwantforxmasisapsp. it's pointing out an article. this article made it onto digg and kotaku without my help. i just brought it onto GAF because i post here and i know that a lot of people don't read GR habitually here. the mods are well aware of my identity as well, and i make no effort to hide it.

moku said:
Guess some of our opinions dont matter then, eh?
some, sure. but there's actually been lots of interesting discussions later on in the thread, so we all win!

The article's an opinion piece and can say what it wants, and most of it does have merit.

That said, I do want to point out a couple things:

- You really can't include something on this list on the basis that it might be a mistake, even if it could be a huge one. DS could've been a huge mistake, the NES could've been a huge mistake. Really anything can be a mistake. There is one, and only one, way an event who's outcome hasn't happened yet can be included in such a list: and that would be if one were to assert with perfect confidence that it WILL be a mistake. But the article doesn't do that, the entire time it's "Wii might possibly be a huge mistake," and therefore its inclusion is an error.

- I like the recounting of Nintendo's history with third parties, but it doesn't throw Nintendo the bone that, in the very first years of the NES, being strict with third parties was beneficial to the industry in that it prevented the wild third party behavior that helped to doom Atari. Nintendo's mistake was continuing their restrictions even when it was no longer necessary.

Stop It said:
Also, the Number 1 mistake has been disputed so many times, because neither party has really said much about the matter since, to say Nintendo screwed Sony royally could be totally untrue, after all there still are claims flying about that Sony wanted near total creative control over games coming to the Playstation, effectively turning Ninty into a glorified 3rd party, the Sony issue hurt Nintendo big time, but I truly think the alternative may have destroyed Nintendo, rather than just allowing a rival through the door.

Thank you. Nintendo acted out of self-defense against an already aggressive Kutaragi, even though they overdid it a bit. Sony weren't angels either.

iamblades

The only two that are really accurate are the online service and the treatment of third parties in the past.

The deal with the Sony wasn't good for Nintendo, but from what I understand, Sony made it not financially viable for Nintendo, so they really had no choice, either Sony took a larger percentage of their profit and control over their product, or they take a large percentage of their marketshare with a competing product. Either way, they were screwed.

The virtual boy was more of a failed experiment than a serious mistake that hurt Nintendo. I mean, yeah, it sucked, but I can't remember any serious backlash towards Nintendo about it though.

The N64's use of cartridges didn't help either, but the system as a whole was great, and I tend to agree with Nintendo that cartridge games are inherently better than disc games in many ways.

The one about the wii was just silly though.

iamblades said:
The deal with the Sony wasn't good for Nintendo, but from what I understand, Sony made it not financially viable for Nintendo, so they really had no choice, either Sony took a larger percentage of their profit and control over their product, or they take a large percentage of their marketshare with a competing product. Either way, they were screwed.

Yeah, really. How is it outright betrayal when the other side was about to draw first blood? Nintendo erred only in overreacting and not responding properly to Sony's challenge afterwards.

Dilbert

moku -- your avatar is too tall. Fix it ASAP.

As for the article: I'm not an avid student of videogame history -- I'd have to defer to someone like Kobun's judgment about whether your points were valid or not -- but I think you made a huge mistake in listing the Wii at #7. First, unless you have a time machine, you aren't in a position to know whether it will eventually be a failure or a success in the marketplace. Including it in your list weakens the whole thing.

Second, listing the Wii as the first thing in your article pretty much guaranteed a shitstorm from the usual suspects. Did you notice all the people in this thread who have their panties in a bunch, but state that they didn't get past the first page because of your heresy against their beloved Wii? That kind of response is PERFECTLY predictable. If you wanted people to read and evaluate your entire article, then that was a bad plan. It's a shame, too, since many of your other points seem to have merit.

The only other thing I'd say is that I wish you would have defined what you meant by "mistake." Did all of these directly lead to Nintendo losing money? A technical shortcoming? A stupid idea? Damage to their image? All of the above? As Kobun pointed out, Virtual Boy might have been a stupid idea...but if they didn't lose that much money on the boondoggle, then you might evaluate it in a different light than other mistakes.

Finally, the only thing that I didn't see listed -- which wouldn't qualify as anything but a stupid idea, not a major business failure -- is the stupid idea of "connectivity." GBA<->GC and DS<->Wii are both dumb ideas. (For that matter, so is PSP<->PS3.) I don't know if Nintendo invented that idea -- again, I'm not the student of history here -- but that whole concept was stillborn.

Chupakun

Hmmm, I hope the "PlayStation" brand name won't randomly drop out altogether - there was a lot of allusion to such since drawing parallels with Sony is part of the article however discreet. While gamers may have a lot to say about the PS3, parents have but one: what is the PS3?

Obviously, they find it difficult to accept the PS3 as a "toy" (face it, the majority of parents think the PS2 was). As a next-gen movie player it's equally shocking. I've had about 23 (I counted) parents come up to me and ask me about this PS3 and if it's really the new phenom after the PS2... and most of all, how the hell a toy could be so expensive. Not the easiest answer to explain, but hey.

Deku

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
Oh dear God...You mean 10 years from now we're going to see a bunch of random fanboys furiously masturbating to Wii Sports still claimg it is "THE BEST GAME EVER!!!" while clamoring for a remake?

My point was, hanging their entire argument on one game is lazy argumentation and its B level forum trolling material we've seen on GAF before.

The fact of the matter is, After people finished with FFVII they moved on to something else on the platform. The same will happen on the Wii and the Wiisports style games are cheap to develop for and have a short development time. It's unlikely there will be a shortage of them from Nintendo and imitators.

The 'fad' premise simply makes no sense at this point. It's a nice fantasy for the bitter tears brigade to hang their pride on.

jinx said:
Finally, the only thing that I didn't see listed -- which wouldn't qualify as anything but a stupid idea, not a major business failure -- is the stupid idea of "connectivity." GBA<->GC and DS<->Wi

And ironically we've heard more of the PSP <-> PS3 connectivity than the DS <-> Wii, probably because Sony has a motive to try and tie PSP with the PS3 to boost sales.

In anycase, since we know nothing of DS <-> Wii connectivity (unlike the other connectivity discussed) it's a bit early to call it a dumb idea.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
first point was the wii was one of nintendos biggest mistakes?

That essentially renders the article moot, it's talking about the 7 mistakes that lead to nintendos downfall and creating the wii is number one....

The wii (business wise) is so far a master stroke that has made them a contender for number 1 again. Saying it's their biggest mistake is just stupid.

I mean, EA is scrambling to make games for the Wii. It's a shit load better already than the GC situation. Also the point on the left "Intend, no" was ****ing stupid.

7. Glover 64: Srsly, guys. WTF was with this game? A glove on a ball? Nintendo can suck MY balls.

6. Making the Gamecube top loading: The fact that the PS2 had a front loading tray gave it a huge advantage over the Gamecube. It gave more gigapixel processing to the PPU transistor unit. That's why it RULZ.

5. Kiddy BS: Why is mario still a cutesy little pickle puffer? Give him a gun, a chainsaw, a few grenades and a posse. Also, Princess Toadstool should be a stripper with huge DD knockers. And Yoshi? Velociraptor. 'Nuff said.

4. Faulty hardware: How many times do I need to blow on my Rescue Rangers NES cartidge before it will work? And the powerglove SUX.

3. Four player multiplayer: Who has three friends? I sure don't. What's the point, Nintendo?

2. Won't let Microsoft buy them: Give it up, guys. You're washed up. Why can't you make good games like Fusion Frenzy and Blinx The Sucky Cat? Let MSoft buy you already.

1. The Wii:
WTF. WTF. WTF. MIRITE? LOL. First, the name. "I'M THE WII COME PLAY WITH MY WII WII!!" Secondly, nobody is buying it because nobody wants to waggle about like a little dumb girl. And finally, it has been out for 5 months and not a single game is innovative. WAY TO SCREW UP AGAIN NINTENDO.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Deku said:
My point was, hanging their entire argument on one game is lazy argumentation and its B level forum trolling material we've seen on GAF before.
I totally agree with you. I was just doing some B level forum trolling of my own.

EricDiesel said:
7. Glover 64: Srsly, guys. WTF was with this game? A glove on a ball? Nintendo can suck MY balls.

6. Making the Gamecube top loading: The fact that the PS2 had a front loading tray gave it a huge advantage over the Gamecube. It gave more gigapixel processing to the PPU transistor unit. That's why it RULZ.

5. Kiddy BS: Why is mario still a cutesy little pickle puffer? Give him a gun, a chainsaw, a few grenades and a posse. Also, Princess Toadstool should be a stripper with huge DD knockers. And Yoshi? Velociraptor. 'Nuff said.

4. Faulty hardware: How many times do I need to blow on my Rescue Rangers NES cartidge before it will work? And the powerglove SUX.

3. Four player multiplayer: Who has three friends? I sure don't. What's the point, Nintendo?

2. Won't let Microsoft buy them: Give it up, guys. You're washed up. Why can't you make good games like Fusion Frenzy and Blinx The Sucky Cat? Let MSoft buy you already.

1. The Wii:
WTF. WTF. WTF. MIRITE? LOL. First, the name. "I'M THE WII COME PLAY WITH MY WII WII!!" Secondly, nobody is buying it because nobody wants to waggle about like a little dumb girl. And finally, it has been out for 5 months and not a single game is innovative. WAY TO SCREW UP AGAIN NINTENDO.

Joke list, right?

BTW, is it kosher if I start a discussion thread on the Sony/Nintendo fallout? Not meant to polarize, but for the sake of discussion and insight into the matter. I'd like to get all my facts straight if possible.

Sqorgar

Banned
Man, everybody bags on the Virtual Boy, but that thing was BRILLIANT. It was ahead of its time and technology curve, Nintendo didn't fully commit to it, and it could've potentially caused permanent visual disabilities in younger children... but other than that, awesome. By far the most unique and interesting game system ever made, Wii included.

The Virtual Boy wasn't a mistake. It was just a miscalculation. Under different circumstances, it would've changed gaming. It's an easy target in hindsight only.

EricDiesel said:

1. The Wii:
This list is gold! Send it to press!

JDSN said:
That article was full of stupid crap, but that one wins the prize.

I dont understand why isnt Gamedaily banned, especially after this crappy "feature".

Oh com e off of it. You have to admit that graphically that the Wii is a weak ass system. Hell, even nintendo themselves admit that.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Gigglepoo said:
My mistake. I have no idea why someone would have written 1889, though. Is it to show off that you knew when Nintendo was founded? The topic was third party relations. They did not have to worry about other card companies wanting to develop for Nintendo's proprietary format back then.
oh my freaking god it was a joke

Top Bottom