• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the biggest GAF meltdown in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyNapSe

Wasn't there a Wednesdayton before Thursdayton, or was that the next week?

For individual meltdown, I would definately nominate Kitsune (?).. he was on the EZboards as foxspiritwind or somethinger-other. He wrote great posts that were typically very long then he flipped when people found out he wasn't really posting from Japan.

Wow. The wiimote thread is so fun to read again.

To be fair, people didn't really know exactly how it would be used. Even after that first promo video came out, people were confused.

Even still though, its taught me to take everything even well respected GAF members say with a huge helping of salt.

DieH@rd

Banned
CAN ANYONE FIND SOME THREADS FROM E3 2005 !!! i have no luck with search button :)

Unvieling of ps3/x360... cmon, those are true megaton threads...

GDGF

Soothsayer
SyNapSe said:
Wasn't there a Wednesdayton before Thursdayton, or was that the next week?

For individual meltdown, I would definately nominate Kitsune (?).. he was on the EZboards as foxspiritwind or somethinger-other. He wrote great posts that were typically very long then he flipped when people found out he wasn't really posting from Japan.

I remember that one. Guy really was a good writer.

Pakkidis

Nintendo selling Rare to M$ was also pretty big around here.

Massive threads about speculation and when it officially came, things kinda just blew up around here.

Buggy Loop

Celda, i mean cmon, anyone that was online that night will remember the chaos, as soon as the public @ spaceworld had shown pics taken from their cams and put them online, it was like a tsar bomb.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
DMC4 is the only epic one I posted in. Eventually of course if MGS were to go multi then like everyone has said, down goes GAF. Mainly because I don't believe Konami would announce if Square wasn't at the same time.

Too bad I wasn't here for Dreamcast. I loved that thing.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Maaaaan, this is EASY.

-DC death + Sega to third party. Ginormous meltdown. Nothing has topped this one. Nothing. Sorta came out of nowhere and the forum was on fire for a week straight. Good times.
-SuperKyro was fantastic
-Reactions to E3 sicken me still makes me laugh
-Federman/Megaton was legendary
-Thursdayton, :lol :lol :lol

I don't even want to count the hours I've spent with GAF and neoGAF. Seriously...it's closing in on 10 years. -_-

I *almost* want Deadmeat, O P A, and Futami back just because of the sheer enjoyment factor. (I said ALMOST). Throw in some Raistlin, MechanizedDuane of old (who is still here), and Drinky and no show on TV (including LOST and 24) could touch GAF for drama.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Since the DC death/Sega going third party created a bizarrio Neogaf, it won de facto

Celda thread was funny too (*wink* *wink*)

Chittagong said:
The original MEGATON was pretty f'ing epic. I think it was what brought me originally into GAF. My memory is a bit sketchy, but I think it was Federman who pulled this story up from his arse about Nintendo + Capcom + Sega merging for the ultimate Japanese gaming giant. Like Thursdayton after it, the timing was genius since Capcom and Sega were performing really poorly financially and were subjects of takeover rumors. Also, Jump magazine had been hinting about an "industry redefining announcement that would have the impact of a megaton bomb", which is where the name came from. The announcement turned out to be Naruto for GC of course, not a merger.

The icing on the cake was a pixelated image that was "reverse-engineered" to be Sonic, Mega Man and Mario.

Haha, I remember that! I even have the picture saved on my harddrive:

rmmegatonb27.jpg

Branduil

Does anyone have a link to an archive of the Sega going third-party thread?

Biggest meltdown I witnessed was the DQ IX thread.

Code_Link said:
Heh. In hindsight I was pretty skeptical at first. "It could still show 2 uhelpful views."

Sidenote: Looking through those archives a bit, there's a thread from just a few days before that initial DS announcement where people were wondering when Nintendo would rerelease Super Mario 64. One day before the DS announcement, Jarrod predicted it would be a launch title for the next Game Boy. :)

Foster

GTA IV trailer was destructive, or at least killed off many gaming sites while GAF slowed down nearly to a stop but stood strong.:lol

I'm a huge fan of the portion of Megaton that was centered around some dude from that japanese site I'm forgetting the name of posting a pic from the GC version of Legend of Zelda: OOT with Saria saying hello to a Link that had been named Megaton. Was totally awesome, a bunch of unreadable text with a giant MEGATON in the middle of it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this thread should be called, "when did people who gloat as if they're always right make fools of themselves at the time of old announcements?"

teiresias said:
By the time the Shenmue II thing happened I'd already tried to play the first game, realized how horribly overrated and bad the game was, so announcements concerning its sequels subsequently flew completely out of my radar.

Oh I didn't say that Shenme was a good game. Far from it. However, the reactions from bloodied Sega fans was something to behold.

I don't remember, which E3 was the "Sickens Me" thing? That later became a bannable phrase as well.

Marty "Sony" Chinn railed against the Sega fanboys and all the media giving lukewarm/bad reviews of lacklustre (outside of MGS2) PS2 unveiling at E3. 2000-ish.

That's only for the current incarnation of the boards though, the board has had like five or six revisions and moved from different forum hosting sites and everything, i can't remember the whole history of this place anymore.

God, remember the EZboard debacles? We really uh, took advantage of uh, their uh services.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The revolution controller thread is pure gold. :lol

Dez

One of my favourites was the one where Drinky Crow's identity was revealed. Not exactly a meltdown, but still, awesome.. and sad.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My personal favorite was "Backstabbo at the Cabo". The fact that it actually personally involved several people made it that much more rich.

jjasper

FlyinJ said:
My personal favorite was "Backstabbo at the Cabo". The fact that it actually personally involved several people made it that much more rich.

Are you speaking of the E3 get together where BuddyC got stuck with some massive bill cause someone was lying the whole time?

The MS-Rare deal was big, but nowhere close to the classic meltdowns. Since the rumors of Rare and Nintendo partying ways came in January of that year, when it finally became official it didn't actually have a shocking effect.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I just skimmed the thread but nobody has mentioned Grubdog going mental and hacking GAF? Half of GAF gets banned and then deleted in a matter of 2 hours...Anybody who ever said anything remotely bad about Nintendo got banned with Drinky and MAF first up on the chopping block.

God that was hilarious!

FlyinJ said:
Oh damn...Forgot all about that one! :lol

Pachael

Those Sega v Sony wars were fantastic, especially when the DC went under and (at that time) Sega were proclaiming their ambitions to be the #1 third party, oh dear it's ended up producing Shadow the Hedgehog, which sold 1.6 million worldwide anyway but oh dear.

And it's Sega.

Other great notables have been mentioned, to wit: Puzzledonkey (sorry), Grubdog, folder's 'Nintendo-sponsored' event, the RRV Marty v op.a, the DS, Wii, PSP, heck all the console unleashing, the -tons, the meltdowns (Kitsune's was brilliant), arne saying hi, (hi!), EGM's slay the dragon, DQIX, NFL-exclussiv, anything made exclusive or not made exclusive, $599 and giant enemy crabs/realtime weapon switching/ridge racer, E3s...

Gee, what a great time I've had on (Neo)GAF!

Saoh said:
:lol :lol

awesome. didn't know so many people where behind all that.

btw, i just re-read wiimote thread... the crow, omg the crow.us and sonycowboy comments :lol

You realise of course that Drinky Crow was never Vestahl right?

Jive Turkey said:
I just skimmed the thread but nobody has mentioned Grubdog going mental and hacking GAF? Half of GAF gets banned and then deleted in a matter of 2 hours...Anybody who ever said anything remotely bad about Nintendo got banned with Drinky and MAF first up on the chopping block.

And I had to miss that thanks to the CRAPPY LAPTOP OF DOOM being in repairs for oh say, six months out of eight and all that.

Wait, I'm reading replies here....and I may be a GAF n00b but was this thing not around during:

1) Halo going to Xbox not Mac
2) Resident Evil Gamecube exlusive
3) Square going Sony exclusive

Barrage

Jive Turkey said:

God that was hilarious!

That's the event I referenced. MAF and Drinky's Power-Ups(and subsequent gloating) was hilarious.

Lobster

Banned
Lol at Revolution Controller Revealed thread.

monchi-kun said:
wow, even Iwata thinks that the movie viewing experience is too complicated!!!!

the A button should be labeled as "Summarize The Movie For Me"

Ecrofirt said:
NINTENDO AM RETARDED.

Razoric said:
dear god when is sony's conference. i need next gen goodness otherwise im going back to pc gaming... christ

sonycowboy said:
Bye-Bye Nintendo.

They went too far and they just became a novelty toy.

citrus lump said:
I'm so pissed right now. Not only do I want to turn in my Nintendo coat, I want to turn in my gaming coat period.

Red Mercury said:
This is just sad... My friend is going to be suicidal...

Culex said:
Goodbye dwindling 3rd-party support :-(

Hello bankruptcy!

Now for the amazing future reading, cool looking avatar guy.

cvxfreak said:
Why do I have a feeling Japan is going to be all over this.

He hit the jackpot.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is this thread only for gaming related stuff? So I guess olimario's booby-gate doesn't count?

What was the reaction of RE4 going to the GC and the whole original "Capcom 5"

I'd think that would have been a big event around here. I know i was on the IGN boards at the time and it was a mess. Suddenly everyone on the PS2 boards loved DMC and had moved beyond RE. Meanwhile all the other fanboys invaded to gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom