• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the biggest GAF meltdown in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The link's already in there.

But basically, everyone in Amir0x's family acted like a jerk in one sense or another, and Amir0x came out of it with a wounded foot, his sense of self-respect preserved, and a restraining order that later got softened to something where his mom can get the cops to arrest him for 3 months if she feels he's behaving in a threatening manner towards anyone in her household.

Or something like that.

Muppet345

Pureauthor said:

But basically, everyone in Amir0x's family acted like a jerk in one sense or another, and Amir0x came out of it with a wounded foot, his sense of self-respect preserved, and a restraining order that later got softened to something where his mom can get the cops to arrest him for 3 months if she feels he's behaving in a threatening manner towards anyone in her household.

Or something like that.
Yeah .. something like that. :lol

Kuramu

thursdayton.jpg

Actually, Superkyro comes to mind first, back when OT and gaming were one. That thread turned into a party with background music and everything

I think we are currently living through the biggest GAF meltdown in history. Which is Nintendo's "next-gen" dominance with the Wii. :)

Raistlin

.(

:lol kidding.

Sega going 3rd party was first, with PS2 initial showing probably in second. This place had A LOT of Sega fans back then, and they exploded during both.

Those two events likely resulted in the greatest amount of bannings in GAF history.

Mariah Carey said:
Any way to check out the Nintendogs perfect score response? Or is it too old?
There's 2+ years of stuff here, but the search only seems to look at the past year. It's possible to hunt through hundreds of old pages or use Google to try and find biggies. My site:neogaf.com Nintendogs Famitsu search didn't seem to find the big one, though.

Spokeys said:
I've been lurking here long before I registered and one that stands out was the whole Nintendogs perfect ten thread.

I remember a once mod inserting nintendogs into every front page thread title. :lol

One of the greatest GAF moments, I'd say.

I was posting at other forums when the DC went down in flames, but I lurked here a bit then. Total pain gripped the internet, those few weeks.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
oh come on Megaton put GAF on the map...all these are other are just "recent" events, but nothing seminal like megaton

and the kitsune one was just bizarre and funny - and far crazier than Amirox one

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
the original thursdayton

there is no question in my mind at all. my favorite was the meaningless blurred image of mario, megaman, and mario that got made. people were convinced of a capcom, nintendo, sega merger :lol i mean nothing has elicited that kind of bullshit speculation since then. NOTHING

Blablurn

what happened on the original thursdayton?

sry for such a stupid question but i really dont know or i just dont know which event you're talking about. there were too many -.-

Barrage said:
Thursdayton, Wallguy, DQIX...all great. One moment I remember(and I think my memory has enhanced it, which is why it hasn't been mentioned) is the April Fool's Armageddon in '04, with the Austrailian guy banning Nintendo haters and Drinky becoming a Admin(or Mod, can't remember). The insanity of that event when I first joined was what really got me into GAF(although it certainly didn't have the reprecussions of other events.)

I take back my previous comments. THIS was the best moment on GAF.

If I recall, the entire continent of Australia was banned, and there's probably even more hell that came upon Nintendo-fans as a fallout of this.

variance

Some great quotes.

Tellaerin in DS announcement thread said:
No, the Virtual Boy had a lot more potential than this.

This... this... agh, I'm speechless.

-1000 Nintendo >_<

AniHawk in DS announcement thread said:
What bullshit.

I knew this was gonna suck.

Damn, NPD AND this. What a day for GAF.

Doom_Bringer said:
I got nothing agaisn't gay's honestly! I worked with one at my last job and I thought he was a really nice guy.

Doom_Bringer said:
No seriously, he was a GC fanboy though! We talked about RE4 and stuff. Gay guys >>>>>>>> assholes IMO

Last two from this thread:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115505

Also, link to Yaoi thread since it hasn't been mentioned yet.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114990&highlight=yaoi

Start at page 7, it's one of the best ones I've been around for.

I wanna see a link to Kitsune.

Branduil

So is there an archive with any of the Sega-third party threads? I was looking through that one archive and couldn't find any.

Flakster99

Branduil said:
So is there an archive with any of the Sega-third party threads? I was looking through that one archive and couldn't find any.

Likewise. However, for the "healing period" to happen, the good ones may have been deleted, though I bet someone out there knows where to find'em.

GhaleonEB

Branduil said:
Nope. Those threads were lost when the GAF server died a few years ago.

S-Wind

GhaleonEB said:
Nope. Those threads were lost when the GAF server died a few years ago.

I wonder if that explains what happened to my original account. I signed up on GAF around '99 under the name "Incognito". After the demise of the Dreamcast I wasn't happy with how so many anti-SEGA trolls (the ones who weren't mods or admins) seemed to have free reign (Futami, Raistlin, etc.), so I stopped reading GAF for a while.

Fast forward a few years, I start reading GAF again, almost a year before it becomes NeoGAF. I was quite surprised to see that I couldn't log into my account because it was being used by some black guy!

JDSN

Banned
The Amirox Wiimote's speaker meltdown was funny too.

Doom_bringer said:
No seriously, he was a GC fanboy though! We talked about RE4 and stuff. Gay guys >>>>>>>> assholes IMO

:lol :lol :lol :lol

jaypah

S-Wind said:
I wonder if that explains what happened to my original account. I signed up on GAF around '99 under the name "Incognito". After the demise of the Dreamcast I wasn't happy with how so many anti-SEGA trolls (the ones who weren't mods or admins) seemed to have free reign (Futami, Raistlin, etc.), so I stopped reading GAF for a while.

Fast forward a few years, I start reading GAF again, almost a year before it becomes NeoGAF. I was quite surprised to see that I couldn't log into my account because it was being used by some black guy!

some black guy? :lol thanks for clarifying.

S-Wind

ItsInMyVeins said:

Cliff Notes version:

- Waaaayy back in the day, I posted on GAF under the name "Incognito"
- I took a long break
- I came back to find that there is someone else posting under that name

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
S-Wind said:
Cliff Notes version:

- Waaaayy back in the day, I posted on GAF under the name "Incognito"
- I took a long break
- I came back to find that there is someone else posting under that name

Yeah, that's exactly what I was having trouble comprehending, thanks! It wasn't the "some black guy" part at all.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Drinky Crow said:
nothing even approximates the sega third party meltdown. nothing. it was total ****in' hysteria.

Was there some sort of Drinky Crow-ish character there at the time, mocking Sega fanboys?

Kuramu

Not a thread, but the time Futami make joke accounts and filled the front page with racist thread titles. I don't remember what triggered it

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pureauthor said:

Or something like that.

It is something he has been dealing with for many, many years.

woodchuck

S-Wind said:

The current Incognito is one of the finest political trolls around.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
bune duggy said:
so there was an actual name released for the "mysterious Australian" that killed GAF? I didn't know that. I think I remember that person...did they have a snail as their avatar?
Grubdog...And yeah now that you mention it I think his avatar was a snail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom