• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the biggest GAF meltdown in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase

Oh man, going through all these threads (particularly the Nintendo ones) is just hilarious. So many of GAFs most arrogant ****heads getting proven wrong to such an incredible degree. These people should have their posting privileges revoked for being such reactionary, self-satisfied ****s. Don't they get tired of being wrong?

Nuclear Muffin said:
Thank you so much for the Sony 2006 E3 conference and the Wiimote unveiling :) If someone could link me with the unveiling of the DS, 360, Sega going 3rd party and the 2006 Nintendo conference I would be eternally grateful! :D

2006 E3 Nintendo Conference
Nintendo's DS announcement 1 2 3 4 5, but the E3 2004 unveiling seems to be between the scope of the current version of GAF and goodcow's archive.

X360 announcement/unveiling should be in the archives here somewhere, but Google searches aren't netting the results I want and hunting for it doesn't sound like much fun.

* Sega going 3rd party

* Anything dealing with "Wii"; personally, there's still a small meltdown appearing now and then

* PS3's $599 NA price announcement at (formerly) E3

* 360's 2 SKU split

* DQIX going to DS / Zelda:TP being revealed were among the biggest 1 day

* Dreamcast dying

etc

It's just so damn entertaining around here :D

gamergirly said:
* Sega going 3rd party

* Anything dealing with "Wii"; personally, there's still a small meltdown appearing now and then

* PS3's $599 NA price announcement at (formerly) E3

* 360's 2 SKU split

* DQIX going to DS / Zelda:TP being revealed were among the biggest 1 day

* Dreamcast dying

etc

It's just so damn entertaining around here :D
I wasn't here for this, but I can only imagine how large this meltdown. Makes me kind of glad I wasn't hear for it.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
DMC4 multiplatform was amusing to watch. It was so obvious that it was coming to 360 but so many people got banned for saying it before the announcement. :lol

DQIX was WTFMEGATONSUPRISE for sure.

Roi's avatar summs up a lot of stuff here.

RoiNEOGAFSTEH.gif

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Oh man...this is an easy one...

Sega going 3rd party and killing Dreamcast ......the fallout of this:

A) Divided GAF and created what we all know as O P A ages

B) Indirectly created a SEA of new fanbois, who saw Xbox as "dreamcast ressurected" with tons of dreamcasty games like DOA, PGR, Jet Set Radio and many, many others....

C) Was probably *THE* key trigger in the now intense hatred of Sony....in many eyes, the PS2 "Killed" the DC, but more insulting, it wasn't just the PS2 itself, but the "Potential" of the kind of games it could do...in 2000, PS2 didn't have as many good games as the dreamcast but that mattered little to Sega and they killed the console anyway...it was the "Potential" of the PS2 that kill the DC....without question, we are still feeling the effects of this 7 years later...

D) The birth of posters like:

D
E
A
D
M
E
A
T....and his ilk....who, 7 years after "Sony Killed Dreamcast" still won't let it go and creates accounts in places like Beyond3D and avsforums with the sole intent of spreading anti-Sony FUD..........SEVEN YEARS LATER PEOPLE!!!

DQ9 on DS?....pfft....I forgot about that already

PS3 $599? Bought one anyway...

Sega going 3rd party is the only meltdown I can think of that actually changed Gaming-age forums....I have been here since 1998 and nothing I can remember compares to the warzone of killing of the DC....

Take any of the current meltdowns (Take your pick; DMC4 to 360, DQ9, Feb 07 NPD....whatever) and imagine EVERY SINGLE THREAD ON THE FORUM like that for about a week straight!!!!

It was world war 3.....nothing comes close....

It was the event that changed GAF....

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
The Megaton rumor that was started by Lord Federman was the biggest meltdown that I remember. IIRC that thread reached around 30 pages and it was all just speculation based off a picture of Mario, Sonic and Megaman together. A lot of the news sites picked it up. It was crazy. Everyone thought Nintendo, Sega and Capcom was going to merge. I think the thread was eventually locked, but it was insanity. GAF changed a lot after that. It lost a lot of it's influence imo. This used to be either the first place news would originate from or it was a hub of all kinds of insider info going. GAF lost a lot of it's insiders shortly after that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Evenball said:
The unveiling of PD0 and wallguy was pretty amusing too.

The Wallguy thread was simply amazing. It came around the time I registered and it got me hooked on GAF. The initial reaction, Wallace Guyford, the Wallguy journey around the world,... All stuff of legends.

S-Wind

Kleegamefan said:
Oh man...this is an easy one...

Sega going 3rd party and killing Dreamcast ......the fallout of this:

[snip]

C) Was probably *THE* key trigger in the now intense hatred of Sony....in many eyes, the PS2 "Killed" the DC, but more insulting, it wasn't just the PS2 itself, but the "Potential" of the kind of games it could do...in 2000, PS2 didn't have as many good games as the dreamcast but that mattered little to Sega and they killed the console anyway...it was the "Potential" of the PS2 that kill the DC....without question, we are still feeling the effects of this 7 years later...

A minor nitpick: It wasn't the PS2 "potential' that killed off the Dreamcast, it was the PS2 hype.

An embarassingly shocking number of people bought, hook, line, and sinker 99% of the PS2 hype.

70 MILLION POLYGONS PER SECOND!

20 TIMES MORE POWERFUL THAN THE DREAMCAST!!!
- it sure didn't help that, in the crushing tide of hype, a SOJ exec conceded that "the PS2, on paper, looks to be twice as powerful as the Dreamcast." It looked like it was supposed to be damage control. Twice as powerful is better than 2o times as powerful. (more on this below) But it just gave the PS2 a helping hand - not that the PS2 needed it.

IT'S A SUPERCOMPUTER!!!

GEORGE LUCAS IS GUSHING ABOUT HOW POWERFUL IT IS, AND HOW IT RIVALS THE GRAPHIC WORKSTATIONS HE'S USING TO MAKE STAR WARS ! ! ! !
- note: this was before the masses accepted that the Phantom Menace sucked, so people actually gave a shit what George Lucus said back then.

SADDAM HUSSEIN WANTS SOME PS2's SO HE CAN POWER HIS MISSILES WITH THEM!

I think the only bit of hype that most people didn't take seriously was Ken's "Jack into the matrix" twaddle.

All that hype had a huge hand in killing off the Dreamcast.

Fast forward 2 or 3 years later. All consoles, PS2, GameCube, Xbox are out.

The PS2 is the weakest graphically and has the worst load times; it's a far cry from the graphic workstation "supercomputer" that's 20 times, or even 2 times, more powerful than the Dreamcast.

But by then the PS2 had already amassed a huge library of games, many of them great games. The PS2 was where almost all third parties were concentrating their efforts, some exclusively, or virtually exclusively.

I think on of the main reasons why so many people bought the PS2's hype so uncritically was that Sony was so new and the PSX was so successful that they didn't really see any reason to doubt what Sony said. The PSX's success can't be unstated. SONY was the darkhorse newcomer that did the unprecedented: it soundly defeated two industry giants. (not that SEGA and Nintendo didn't do A LOT to defeat themselves and help SONY, but I digress . . . )

Well, the PS2 didn't live up to its hype - that was impossible.

It seems people did learn, though. Look at how warm people were to the touted capabilities and benefits of the PS3. They were a helluva lot more critical and skeptical! Which is ironic and somewhat of a shame, because the PS3 is actually a good and truly poweful machine.

StranGER

Teh Hamburglar said:

for sure this was it!

this spanned the whole net and everyone was all over it.

and no one knew what it was or why anyone was excited even. all due to like one sentence in a mag that was taken out of context.

was amazing seeing it explode the way it did.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Hey look what I found- from the DS announcement thread:

Originally posted by Mefisto
Sometimes I wonder if Nintendrones really are in the same "reality" as me. I mean, come on, 2 screens, big deal...... then what ???? First game to be annonced will be Time Crisis ???

This will be a collectors item folks, I'm buying them all when they hit 20$ in bargain bins at Wal-Mart, three months after launch.I didn't do it with the Virtual Boy, I would be rich by now. Nintendo, you can't fool me twice.

:lol :lol :lol
Just awesome.

I wonder if we can have retro-active bans for the stupidest statements and predictions in those threads.

Kosma

Banned
I would like to nominate my personal meltdown after I got banned for a month.

"Hi Troll, Bye Troll" was the message given to me when I tried to log in. Pretty ironic considering I made a thread about the art of trolling :lol

But now Im back, woohoo!

Kosma

Banned
Where's Bruce Bud?

PS: the last NPD thread was pretty meh as far as meltdowns go. expected more with those numbers..

Threi

notag
hey its worth it.

im trying so hard not to laugh at the doom_bringer one :lol :lol :lol

*edit* no im gunna have to save that one for home, people are looking at me weird.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
oo Kosma oo said:
"Hi Troll, Bye Troll" was the message given to me when I tried to log in. Pretty ironic considering I made a thread about the art of trolling :lol

But now Im back, woohoo!

reputation_pos.gif
oo Kosma oo
Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom