• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the biggest GAF meltdown in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z3F

Banned
Did anyone mention Wollan's thread where he made an argument for Sony's ten year plan for the PS3? I felt bad for the way that he was tore apart by almost everyone. That Mana dude who reported the EB PSP ad to Sony was also funny as hell.

Branduil

MiamiWesker said:
Wow gaf used to be a very pro Sega board, what happend to you people. Keep the faith Sega fans.

Sega is unique in its tenacious ability to spite its own fans until they die or go crazy.

MiamiWesker said:
Wow gaf used to be a very pro Sega board, what happend to you people.
ShadowTheHedgehog.jpg

AniHawk

MiamiWesker said:
Wow gaf used to be a very pro Sega board, what happend to you people. Keep the faith Sega fans.

I think the DC death was such a big thing because at the time the PS2 was doing so well on so little. Sega had given a lot of hardcore gamers what they wanted. Of course in hindsight, Sega couldn't have possibly supported the system until the end of the generation, but that DC vs. PS2 age was more of a hardcore vs. mainstream/casual battle, and the hardcore lost big time.

Zeal

Banned
Losing Sega in the console business was, and still is, the biggest thing to ever happen in the industry.

Maybe besides the crash.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
AniHawk said:
I think the DC death was such a big thing because at the time the PS2 was doing so well on so little. Sega had given a lot of hardcore gamers what they wanted. Of course in hindsight, Sega couldn't have possibly supported the system until the end of the generation, but that DC vs. PS2 age was more of a hardcore vs. mainstream/casual battle, and the hardcore lost big time.

AniHawk

marc^o^ said:

It's kinda like Wii (casual/mainstream) vs. 360 (hardcore), except the 360 isn't going to die at the end of the year, and the Wii has far worse graphics than the Dreamcast.

I always like when a company does something that can be construed as offensive.

Prime example - "white is coming" PSP adverts.

A lot of people going mental about racism, I was sitting there thinking "do these people really think it's racist? I just see two fit models!" but some guys were going ape shit in those threads.

squicken

Explain the jarosh meltdown. I was reading the very odd conversations in that pic thread, but there seem to be some edits and missing posts. I miss his chops :(

Vagabundo

AniHawk said:
It's kinda like Wii (casual/mainstream) vs. 360 (hardcore), except the 360 isn't going to die at the end of the year, and the Wii has far worse graphics than the Dreamcast.

Something smelly this way comes.

vareon

AniHawk said:

No, no.

Deku

Banned
It's hard to put all the meltdowns into context since the population has fluctuated so much, in terms of size as well as the faithful from each faction.

Of the recent ones,I vote for 599. We can pin point the exact moment it happened. Reading a few thousand posts pre- and post page 28 adds significant context of the things leading up to that point in time and the resulting meltdown.

The etymology to 'massive damage' 'giant crab' and 'riiiiiiidge racer' can also be found in that thread.

Vagabundo

Deku said:
Of the recent ones,I vote for 599. We can pin point the exact moment it happened. Reading a few thousand posts pre- and post page 28 adds significant context of the things leading up to that point in time and the resulting meltdown.

Oh I cannot find the meltdown in that link

It would be nice to have a sticky with all the various meltdowns and bannings :D

Deku

Banned
Vagabundo said:
Oh I cannot find the meltdown in that link

It would be nice to have a sticky with all the various meltdowns and bannings :D

Just keep reading. It is a 3800+ post thread.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I've heard people here mention something about the oli's girlfriend saga a few times, anyone know what that's about and did it happen at gaf?

The Revolution Controller revealing was utter gold .. but ppl seem to have forgotten the original thread building up to the revelation.

56 pages of anticipation, rumours and hypothesising... followed by 3 pages of sheer anarchy which then got locked. Watch as all the ppl who had been following the conference as it happened simultaneously freak out.

good times, good times.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60773&page=56

Personal Favs inc.
- Revolution controller revelation
- Wii name revelation
- Sony Conference 2006
- Wednesdayton & Thursdayton
- Rare departure
- Biohazard 4 exclusivity loss
- DQ for DS
- Realistic Zelda revealed
+ more
... so many memories

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Some good quotes from this thread above:lol

AssMan said:
JESUS CHRIST. NINTENDO IS ****ING DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!
Stench said:
The public isn't going to buy this at ALL.
Mrbob said:
Please don't copy this, Sony.

How the **** do I play Madden with this thing? :/
DSN2K said:
well that about wraps it up for Nintendo.
DSN2K said:
well Someone explain to me how this is supposed to bring video gaming to the masses. PLEASE.

Lobster

Banned
squicken said:
Explain the jarosh meltdown. I was reading the very odd conversations in that pic thread, but there seem to be some edits and missing posts. I miss his chops :(

You know I don't know him that well and I notice his absence. Its really scary :\

ToxicAdam said:
It was during E3 week of 2005. Aside from the big 360 news conference, it was a real DUD for big news. So, Drinky Crow innocently posted two words. Thursdayton - Believe. What happened next was 30 pages of speculation and bullshit rumors (focusing on Nintendo's console and what they may announce). The thread was even passed off on some news sites. So, in 2 days it had 30 pages and about 100,000 views. Pretty epic at that time.

Two elements that really need to be mentioned:

One, a bunch of shysters (Aries, Nighttrain, etc.) had been peddling a variety of ludicrously inflated expectations about the "Revolution" -- true voice recognition, graphics that surpassed other next gen systems by an order of magnitude, etc. Everyone (rightly) guessed that Nintendo had something unexpected up their sleeve for this generation, so there was basically a fever pitch of speculation waiting to be tapped into.

Two, it was originally Wednesdayton. The thread started sometime on Tuesday, grew to hundreds and hundreds of pages -- all basically on the strength of a ONE GODDAMN WORD POST and fanboi craziness -- and then, of course, the Nintendo conference was a huge letdown... so that evening, Drinky reposted the same thread, only with "Thursdayton" as the topic. That was the punchline that really made the whole thing so goddamn funny.

Roders5 said:
I've heard people here mention something about the oli's girlfriend saga a few times, anyone know what that's about and did it happen at gaf?

High concept version: Oli secretly trades topless pics of his girlfriend to a dude on the Internet for a PSP, and later said pictures are released into the wild. Hilarity!

Kosma

Banned
charlequin said:
High concept version: Oli secretly trades topless pics of his girlfriend to a dude on the Internet for a PSP, and later said pictures are released into the wild. Hilarity!

No effin way :lol

Jackano

Nintendo's E3 2005 Press conference, i think.
Even if at the end that was a megaton with nothing new (excepts GameBoy micro and Virtual Console)...

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
tahrikmili said:
One of the oldest and greatest stories on GAF ever, it's in the forum archive methinks.
Please, somebody share the details or post links, I've got to find out about this one, sounds brilliant.

Wow at this meltdown from the Nintendogs thread:

JackFrost2012 said:
Jesus Christ, what is wrong with the illiterate ****tards at that magazine.

Nintendogs is pretty good, sure, but giving it a 40/40 is worse than wrong, it's obscene.

What the ****. I'm flabbergasted.

I don't get it. I don't get it. I don't get it.

I'm aghast.

EDIT: The ... what ... I ... *sigh* I know Famitsu that likes the DS and touching. They also like the talking (they gave some 10s to Operator's Side and Dekavoice, remember). But this? A 40/40? That's not a good score, that's downright epochal, and they had to have known that and thought about that and they did it anyways. I got Nintendogs, I like Nintendogs, I've played Nintendogs but I'm telling you right now, it's an 8-9 range game to people who like it. It is NOT A 10, let alone four of them, that's just a fact. I like the game, but there's no way you can spin it as a 40/40. You pet your dog, you teach him tricks, you bathe him, walk him, feed him, throw a frisbee. It's a 3D tamagotchi with adorable animations and rudimentary microphone support. Cute goes a long way, sure, but not this far.

I am utterly beyond words at this point. What the ****. ****. What the hell. What is wrong with them. What is wrong with Famitsu and Nintendo and the DS and the Japanese game industry that it has come to this. Jesus ****ing Christ. I don't understand. I don't get it. This isn't just a score I don't agree with ... this isn't just, "haha Famitsu doesn't actually play the games they review." This is a serious mistake in the fabric of reality. This is something inside of me dying.

I'm hurt.

:lol

Thank you so much for the Sony 2006 E3 conference and the Wiimote unveiling :) If someone could link me with the unveiling of the DS, 360, Sega going 3rd party and the 2006 Nintendo conference I would be eternally grateful! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom