• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROTTENWATCH: Spider-Man 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Figured it was getting near that time. The movie opens in 2 days, and the reviews are just starting to come in, with tons surely to pour in within the next few days.

97991554hv1.jpg

Opens: May 4th, 2007

I thought S-M1 was pretty decent, and good fun. S-M2 improved on it by leaps and bounds, and is easily my favorite of the superhero movies released (yes, more than Batman Begins). I have been down on S-M3 from it's inception though, since everything I heard/read/saw hinted towards a disaster (too many villians, not enough time to develop them, retcons, another love interest, the bad SFX, GHASTLY trailers, etc). However, Im hoping that being so pessimistic about this movie for so long with result in the final product pleasantly surpising me.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spiderman_3/

46 reviews have come in so far, 33 being positive. Its at 72% right now, but Im feeling that the final level will hover around 70% after all is said and done, nowheres near S-M2's 90-something %. Most are saying the same thing: too much content to give proper attention to in a 140 minute running time, but a satisfactory, if rushed, conclusion to the trilogy. Its mostly internet type reviews so far, so I am really waiting to hear from some other critics, like Ebert (loved S-M2), or Berardenelli (who, as far as internet film critics go, is usually my favorite).

===============================================

Review quotes:

"The three main recurring characters get stuck in a rut and the same can be said of the film itself in "Spider-Man 3." After the significant improvement of the second installment over the first, new entry reps a roughly equivalent dip in quality and enjoyment, with Spidey now giving off the faint odor of running on fumes. This devaluation shouldn't hurt at the box office, at least at first, as the vast majority of the fans who turned the first two into $822 million and $784 million worldwide grossers, respectively, will cram multiplexes around the globe to see the first blockbuster of the summer.

A sense of strain envelops the proceedings this time around. One can feel the effort required to suit up one more time, come up with fresh variations on a winning formula and inject urgency into a format that basically needs to be repeated and, due to audience expectations, can't be toyed with or deepened very much.

Big problem with third Spideyis the script, the very same element that elevated the second yarn. Four years back, vet scenarist Alvin Sargent, with a story assist from Michael Chabon, enriched the premise from all angles -- emotion, humor and villainy. This time, the magic has eluded Sargent and the Raimi brothers, director Sam and co-writer Ivan, the result being a story that would have provenmore satisfactory for a late '60s cartoon-hero TV show than for a new-century blockbuster."

- VARIETY (rotten)

"Left dangling for the past three years, arachnophiles everywhere finally have cause to celebrate.

The biggest (with a production budget due north of $250 million) and longest (clocking in at 139 minutes) and quite possibly the capper of a trilogy featuring the current talent lineup, "Spider-Man 3" has done it again.

Certain to please the geek squad by remaining ever true to its comic book roots while retaining that satisfying emotional core that has registered with equal numbers of female fans, "Spider-Man 3" has all its demographic bases covered."

- HOLLYWOOD REPORTER (fresh)

"Likely to divide reviewers, "Spider-Man 3" may prove to be critics-proof, just like Columbia's "Da Vinci Code" was last summer (though there was unanimous agreement that "Da Vinci Code" was a bad picture, which is not the case of "Spider-Man 3").

However, adding more villains and a new femme simply means having more characters, subplots, and emotionally tangled web of relationships, but doesn't necessarily translate into a more engaging or enjoyable film. Indeed, "Spider-Man 3" represents a step down from the second, 2004 installment, which improved over the first in every department. That said, opinions would differ as to whether "Spider-Man 3," which is considered to be the "most Sam Raimi" picture, is stronger or weaker than the first. Sam Raimi and brother Ivan Raimi are credited with the script, along with Alvin Sargent, who got most of the credit for the better quality and greater fun of "Spider-Man 2."

So what's missing? An engaging storyline and the right tone or mood, which is a tough challenge when it comes to a mega-franchise. Understandably, the filmmakers have to navigate through sensitive terrain, since the basic formula needs to be observed to fulfill expectations of viewers and readers. Yet the creators are also expected to offer a new, fresh angle (other than just more villains) to enrich the proceedings and distinguish "Spider-Man 3" from the former episodes. This is particularly hard due to the fact that "Spider-Man 2" was an A-picture.

Major problem is not the film's darker impulses (the public will accept that in the post 9/11 climate, even for a megaplex blockbuster), but basic script, the very ingredient that elevated "Spider-Man 2," by vet scribe Alvin Sargent, who was able to enrich the format—and it is a format—with deeper characterization, greater resonance, and even humor."

- EMMANUEL LEVY (fresh)

"In retrospect, it's almost exciting to consider how effectively Raimi introduces each storyline and then slowly weaves it into the fabric of the overall film. For example, Harry's hatred of Spider-Man might be a lingering plot point if the film either addressed it in a single scene or left it unexplored until the end. But Raimi and Co. offer a solution that allows new plot developments to breathe. There's also the matter of Eddie Brock/Venom (Topher Grace), whose intricacies will not be explained in this review, but who slowly becomes integral to both the building drama of the narrative and the emotional complexity of Peter over the course of the three films.

After all, how would this nerdy kid respond if he finally found acceptance as Spider-Man, as he begins to here? Peter's ability to handle that situation and to recognize that he might be the only person able to apprehend his uncle's possible killer creates a palpable emotional turmoil that plays directly into the comic book origins of both the hero and his adversaries. By the time he faces them down in the film's climax, Raimi creates the opportunity not only for a physical triumph but an emotional catharsis that ties together all of the preceding, sometimes seemingly disconnected scenes.

As a person who typically has little trouble differentiating his likes from his dislikes, I was surprised by my initial conflicting feelings -- especially given my lifelong love for the character and enthusiasm for the franchise. The trailers alone were so jam-packed with story developments and new characters that it seemed an entire film would not be enough to fully explore all of them. But what truly is most amazing about Spider-Man 3 (no pun intended) is that all objections are answered and all developments are resolved, even if at times it feels like they will never converge.

So if you're going into the film with any trepidation about whether Raimi can combine all these disparate elements and still satisfactorily conclude the movie, much less the series, reserve your judgment until the last web has been slung. Because this is the first time that two films and two-thirds into a trilogy, you still haven't seen anything yet. Spider-Man 3 has a great ending, and more importantly, it is a great ending for both a standard three-film arc and the best comic book trilogy in film history."

- IGN (fresh)

"Now comes the third film which is as technically impressive as ever, but suffers from being simultaneously pulled in too many different directions. Even being an extra 15 minutes or so longer than its predecessor, the film still has to juggle three villains (Sandman, Harry Osborn, Venom) along with subplots about the rocky roads of new love, a "Superman 3" style 'dark personality' subplot, the ongoing Harry-Mary Jane-Peter love-hate triangle, not to mention giving time to a half dozen other characters both new and old.

Surprisingly the film does manage to wrap things up by the end, so much so that it feels like an 'unofficial end' to the series in some ways with no cliff hanging stories left to resolve. Yet how most of these are resolved is done in some rushed and often unsatisfactory ways and that's where "Spider-Man 3" falls apart. The elements are there for some great drama, but they're never developed enough to become involving, and often awkwardly mix rather than cohesively gel.

The action is pretty spectacular. At some times, most notably the big fight scenes, the action becomes too frantic with the frames shot way too close-up which makes things a little confusing. Yet the sequences are staged well, notably the early Peter vs. Harry fight along with the film's most effective scene - a vertigo-inducing sequence with Gwen in peril when a construction crane goes haywire. Less successful is the later scenes with forced crowd reactions and somewhat murky action mixed with some seemingly rushed CG effects.

"Spider-Man 3" may not reach the heights of the first two films, let alone the transcendent macabre aria of "Batman Begins" or the near perfectly-balanced symphony of "X-Men 2," but in spite of it being the closest thing this franchise has had to a mediocre entry - it's still good enough to show up how laughably bad the likes of "Ghost Rider" and "300" are, and more on target than some other misfires of late (I'm looking at you X-Men & Superman). Raimi and gang have gone out colorfully, but it's now time to give the webslinger a rest before coming back fighting sometime next decade."

- DARK HORIZONS (fresh)

JB1981

i think the movie looks pretty rotten. why don't movies excite me anymore? at least the big hollywood ones? i used to like this shit

Sanjuro

Solo said:
Damn, how many tickets is that?
You thought I was that Mexican guy from the movietickets.com ad huh!

12 tickets for IMAX Thursday night advance showing.

JB1981 said:
i think the movie looks pretty rotten. why don't movies excite me anymore? at least the big hollywood ones? i used to like this shit
I'm somewhat understanding you. However for the comic book films I'm always hyped up for them. Most of my favorite films are foreign however.

acksman

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I just put $140 worth of tickets on my credit card.....it better not be rotten. :(

Hollywood thanks you, here is your coupon for 25 cents off a $5.98 large coke!

P.S. Lucky IMAX bastard

Solo

Crazy! Im not going to see it until its been open a week, simply because:
a) opening weekend will be insane
b) Im out of town until May 11th (this is really the reason, otherwise hype would get the better of me and I WOULD go opening weekend, despite me saying I wont, lolz)

Sanjuro

acksman said:
Hollywood thanks you, here is your coupon for 25 cents off a $5.98 large coke!

P.S. Lucky IMAX bastard
HAha. I wouldnt say LUCKY IMAX bastard. Theater is still about 1hr away. Meaning I'm not getting home until 4/5 a.m.

buffyoda

Neo Member
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I just put $140 worth of tickets on my credit card.....it better not be rotten. :(

That's a recipe for disaster. I've done this before because I'm trying to get all of my friends to commit to a midnight screening. Then you have to harass them for a month to get the money.

You are a good friend though.

I'm going to see it and I'm probably going to like it, but I still don't understand why Venom didn't get his own film. Why mash him in with TWO other villains.

Sanjuro

buffyoda said:
That's a recipe for disaster. I've done this before because I'm trying to get all of my friends to commit to a midnight screening. Then you have to harass them for a month to get the money.

You are a good friend though.
Well one of my friends is the kind of guy who throws money at me when we go to these. For food, gas, etc. He actually gave me an extra $10 for my ticket. So right now I have about half the money $72. I'm just hoping nobody bails out...IMAX doesn't give refunds when the showtimes are sold out for the first several weekends because they won't have any random people popping in for a ticket usually.

Slizz

The movie is going to be good, it might not live up to your expectations but who is gonna hate on the visuals and villans: sandman and venom and jus seeing spidey in that bomb ass black costume is reason enough to see it. This movie comes out on my b-day i'm gonna go and try and see it opening day but i doubt ill be successful so im lookin forward to jus eating a bunch of good food and gettin plastered at flanigans(a better fridays, bennigans type resturant)

Vlad

There's also the matter of Eddie Brock/Venom (Topher Grace), whose intricacies will not be explained in this review, but who slowly becomes integral to both the building drama of the narrative and the emotional complexity of Peter over the course of the three films.

Uhh, I'm all for taking some liberties with the source material and all, but this just seems like an odd casting choice, unless he really looks different from the That 70s Show days.

I mean, wasn't Eddie Brock sort of a big guy?

Sanjuro

Vlad said:
Uhh, I'm all for taking some liberties with the source material and all, but this just seems like an odd casting choice, unless he really looks different from the That 70s Show days.

I mean, wasn't Eddie Brock sort of a big guy?
Topher Grace would be a fantastic Cletus Kassidy but I think they wanted to go to a version that was very similar to Parker's look.

IMO. Thomas Hayden Church would have made an excellent Venom if done in Amazing Spiderman style.

maynerd

Banned
Did they really have to spend that kind of money on marketing? It's not like people wouldn't know it was coming out if they spent 1/4 of what they spent.

Nameless

I want to see this opening weekend, but seeing 300 the first night reminded me how much I ****ing HATE seeing films in sold out theaters. "Lets laugh during every corny one liner" "Lets clap during the end of every action sequence". FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY..STFU!! AND LET ME WATCH THE ****ING MOVIE!

Blutonium

Watched Spider-Man 2 again last night with some friends, just to get more hyped up for Spider-Man 3. This movie will be all kinds of awesome.

Venom? SOLD!

btw: The scene where Octavius' arms go apeshit in the OR is my favorite in the movie. It's one Evil Dead reference after the other.

Sanjuro

Solo said:
In my eyes its easily the best superhero flick. Guess lots of critic peeps out there felt the same way.
Still Batman Begins for me. Christopher Nolan is my favorite current director and everything about that film looked fantastic.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big Sam Raimi fan back from his Evil Dead roots and even Darkman I thought was good. Couldn't have gotten a better director Spidey. Only problem is I hope the score bounces back, that was my one problem with Spider-Man 2 is that it was recycled OVER and OVER again with nothing new to offer than Ock's theme.

Solo

Nameless said:
Que Batman Begins Defense Force in 5..4..3..2..

I thoroughly love BB too. Its just has a lot of final act issues for me. But this is a Spidey thread, so lets please keep other franchises out. It never ends well.

Ree

Banned
Nameless said:
I want to see this opening weekend, but seeing 300 the first night reminded me how much I ****ing HATE seeing films in sold out theaters. "Lets laugh during every corny one liner" "Lets clap during the end of every action sequence". FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY..STFU!! AND LET ME WATCH THE ****ING MOVIE!
Seriosly, just scream that once and they'll do it. Heaven for you. :)

traveler

Not Wario
Huh. I felt the same way you did upon hearing stuff about the film and watching the first few trailers regarding the number of villians and subplots, but with more and more reviews coming in, I'm getting the impression that it's going to turn out just fine after all. I still think it'll hit 90% and upwards. The only difference is that one of the negative reviews came in early this time, giving more influence in the early rating.

Solo

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Only problem is I hope the score bounces back, that was my one problem with Spider-Man 2 is that it was recycled OVER and OVER again with nothing new to offer than Ock's theme.

I havent been the least bit impressed, with the exception of the main theme, with Elfman's work on the Spidey flicks. But hes out for S-M3, so we'll see what Christopher Young can do.

Sanjuro

Wes said:
:lol :lol
If I was on Defense Force I would have called Solo a homosexual reference and somthing about Joker raping Venom or somthing.

Solo said:
I havent been the least bit impressed, with the exception of the main theme, with Elfman's work on the Spidey flicks. But hes out for S-M3, so we'll see what Christopher Young can do.
So far I've heard Christopher Young didn't add much. I'm happy as long as I don't hear the same theme like it starts from the begining of the track every time.

I think you will have more mainstream music in it. If you look at the soundtrack it doesn't seem to have any themes unless with the collector's editiion.

Solo

Yeah, I just checked out the OST website a few minutes ago. Normally they've put 15 or so pop songs + 1-2 cues from the score, but this time its all pop music. Ah well, the score itself will come, it always does a bit later, since they want to push the OST first for sales.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nameless said:

Real talk.

Rorschach

Solo said:
In my eyes its easily the best superhero flick. Guess lots of critic peeps out there felt the same way.
Hrm...guess I'm in the minority. I thought it ranged from horrid to awesome. I would have guessed it was in the 80% range. Not a bad movie, but not in the 90th percentile. I'm very much looking forward to 3.

I won't get into the whole superhero film rank list thing...

Solo

Thats a good idea. If someone wants to do that, feel free to make a separate thread. If we did that here, this thread would be toast in like 20 minutes.

Memles

I liked the first two well enough, but I just can't get excited about this film. While Pirates is at the very least concluding something, Spider-Man 3 (And Shrek 3) just don't seem as NECESSARY as other films.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I know I'm probably in the minority but IMO Spider-Man 1 > Spider-Man 2.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this but unfortunately I will probably have to wait until at least the end of June to see it. I seem to have really bad luck watching Spider-Man movies in the theater. The first time I went to see SM1 I had to walk out because of a crying baby. I got my money back and when I went to see it again the next day it was ruined again when some cops decided to arrest some guy who was in the theater during the middle of the movie. Then when SM2 came out and I went to see it there was another crying baby and when one of the audience members yelled out "shut that damn kid up" (after it had been crying on and off for 30 minutes) and the father yelled back "f-you why don't you make me" a fight broke out between several members of the audience and the kids father (who got his butt handed to him).

daemonic

Banned
Not really digging the Spider-man films. I probably gonna pass on this one. Maybe rent it one day though I've yet to see the second.

Solo

OST tracklisting

01. Snow Patrol - Signal Fire
02. The Killers - Move Away
03. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Sealings
04. Wolfmother - Pleased To Meet You
05. The Walkmen - Red River
06. Black Mountain - Stay Free
07. The Flaming Lips - The Supreme Being Teaches Spider-Man How To Be In Love
08. Simon Dawes - Scared Of Myself
09. Chubby Checker - The Twist (seriously :lol )
10. Rogue Wave - Sight Lines
11. Coconut Records - Summer Day
12. Jet - Falling Star
13. Sounds Under Radio - Portrait Of A Summer Thief
14. The Wyos - Letter From St. Jude
15. The Dohlas - Small Parts

Looks like Snow Patrol gets the Chad Kroeger/Dashboard Confessional treatment this summer. AKA plan to get very sick of that song.

Wollan said:
It should be around 300m$ I think as that was the last speculated numbers I heard.
The woman that wrote the article said she heard $350 million, then they added and estimated $150 million for marketing and promotion, thus getting to the $500 million figure. One person from the studio claimed it was only $270 and the head of Sony studios said "I refuse to say the [real] number because it makes me choke." Who knows really - either way it's a sh*tload of money. The thing I found funny was that they quoted another executive saying "Sony could spend $600 million or $700 million, and it would still be worth it."

Blutonium

Baron Aloha said:
I know I'm probably in the minority but IMO Spider-Man 1 > Spider-Man 2.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this but unfortunately I will probably have to wait until at least the end of June to see it. I seem to have really bad luck watching Spider-Man movies in the theater. The first time I went to see SM1 I had to walk out because of a crying baby. I got my money back and when I went to see it again the next day it was ruined again when some cops decided to arrest some guy who was in the theater during the middle of the movie. Then when SM2 came out and I went to see it there was another crying baby and when one of the audience members yelled out "shut that damn kid up" (after it had been crying on and off for 30 minutes) and the father yelled back "f-you why don't you make me" a fight broke out between several members of the audience and the kids father (who got his butt handed to him).

That's why I hate theaters, you should never see a movie in the first few weeks it's running, over here atleast. Lately my theater experiences have been better though, with one exception. I went to the theater last sunday to see Sunshine (damn what a waste of money, should have gone to see Hot Fuzz for the second time) and went along with some friends, thing is, two of these guys I don't know that well. Turned out to be they are those kind of people that like to make loud comments on the film while it's playing. That shit just makes me cringe.

Solo

Heres the more interesting thing to predict: what will S-M3 make (domestically)?

S-M1 made $400M, S-M2 made $375. I may be shooting low, but Im only feeling $250M-$275M for S-M3.

I don't think S-M3 will have any trouble putting up $300M unless the reviews are awful. Even that probably wouldn't make much of a difference. Why are you thinking there will be such a big dropoff?

Solo

Maybe its just me and my own doubts, but it feels like S-M3 hasnt been hyped like mad, and a lot of the press has been more negative than anything. Then again, Im probably being an idiot, as we have seen time and time again that what goes on here on the interwebs is hardly reflective of the population at large.

Solo

More reviews courtesy of a tipster who wants only to be known as AUNT.MAY.IS.CARNAGE:

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=9898

"There’s a moment in Spider-Man 3 over halfway through the film where it becomes obvious that all involved parties realize they have nothing else to prove and simply let their figurative hair down and had some fun. Real fun. This isn’t a spoiler, but when the film enters Superman III territory and showcases a Peter Parker/Spider-Man that isn’t wholesome and the quintessential chunk of Americana, there’s a playful vibe that is much more engaging than the numerous fast-paced set pieces could hope to be. It showcases a new school Sam Raimi, one who doesn’t wow us with delectable camerawork and zany tricks but one who is adept at balancing the melodrama which pads the action with cocky little moments that would have ended on the cutting room floor of the first two. A little typically goes a long way in event films, and something about Peter Parker’s transformation into Tony Manero after being symbiotically linked with the black alien goo elevates Spider-Man 3 from being a very stout summer movie to being a lesson in power and responsibility and how to balance them deftly.

The less I say about the Venom sequences the better. Not because they're bad but because the marketing folks at Sony have done a good job to keep them quiet. It's better that way, but I will admit that the character is handled extremely well and Topher Grace's energy almost matches J.K. Simmons here. Really fun stuff.

Spider-Man 3 is a film bursting at the seams with a trilogy's worth of ideas, threads, and deliverables. It doesn't hit home on all of them. The Gwen Stacy inclusion is extraneous. Too much time is spent on the relationship of Peter Parker and Mary Jane. The attempts to make the death of Uncle Ben mirror Batman's origin seems forced. The alien symbiote aspect truly could have constituted an entire feature on its own. Peter Parker isn't quite as interesting and his flashes of darkness, though fun, could have been more resounding.

The bottom line is that this is a big, loud, and very entertaining superhero movie. Looked at as three acts, this is a very successful climax to the first two films. This has always been the comic book film franchise with the most weight. The films have been huge financially and critically and there's a set of expectations that may result in some viewers feeling let down. I don't see it. These films could seamlessly be edited into one and should be, as I feel wholly satisfied with Spider-Man on film. They did it. I'm pleased almost to the point where I wish they'd allow it to remain a trilogy."

http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?section=reviews&Id=9965

"There’s a great film in here somewhere, it’s just bogged down by too much mediocrity – as a consequence, you don’t feel so much for the characters as you did in the first two movies. That wonderful combination of ‘story’ and ‘stunts’ that we’ve grown to love about these movies is now, pretty much, just ‘stunts’.

The blame may lie on the producers – who demanded Raimi inject characters and themes into the film that he didn’t necessarily want to. As a consequence, the director was forced to work with too many sub-plots; too many villains (including one he didn’t like) and too many stories calling for each of their own resolution. At the end of the day, it seems there’s been too much to do… and Raimi just ended up shoving it “all in”… putting the producers’ “wish list” above the wants and needs of an audience. (And as a result of jamming everything in, nobody besides the lead characters – for instance, Gwen Stacey and Eddie Brock – gets much of a chance to shine).

The villains are good, albeit like the movie a bit underwhelming, with Venom (the character that most old-school fans are annoyed about being included in the film the most) probably the most entertaining. The inclusion of the spacely organism gives Maguire some of his best moments in the movie – and some of the funniest moments of the whole series!

What saves “Spider-Man 3” from becoming well, “Superman III,” is the fact that it’s still a solid film that packs a punch when it comes to turn on the spectacle. The action sequences and special effects are as eye-popping as ever; the actors are as good as ever (Maguire and Dunst, especially); and the storyline is as fun as it is predicable."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268262,00.html

"Whatever Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 3" cost to make — and some say the number could be around $300 million — it's worth it, and you see it on the screen.

I screened the Columbia Pictures blockbuster-to-be Tuesday morning and was fascinated by how completely unlike other superhero movies it is, and at the same time, completely entertaining.

One thing is for sure: "Spider-Man 3" is a long movie, even though it's not many more minutes longer than its predecessors. This feeling may come from the number of plot lines and characters.

"Spider-Man 3" is a big meal, a kind of opera in which every character — Peter Parker, Mary Jane, Aunt May, Harry — each gets to sing a couple of show-stopping arias."

http://www.joblo.com/review-spider-man-3

"There's enough plot here for two or three different movies, with plenty of obstacles for Peter to overcome and an ample amount of baddies for him to fight. But in putting the four main plotlines together (i.e., revenge against Sandman, Peter's relationship with Harry, the symbiote suit/Venom, and problems with MJ), the whole experience becomes overwhelming. There's not nearly enough time to absorb all the intertwining threads, no matter how hard the filmmakers obviously try to make it work.

At least the action sequences stand strong as some of the most spectacular since... well, SPIDER-MAN 2. They take full advantage of the characters' abilities and surroundings, and then fuse the two together to create a number of downright breathtaking moments. The CGI isn't quite flawless yet, but it's still a visual feast for the eyes. The only disappointment is the use of Venom. He does get some time to shine in the movie's third act (or possibly ninth, taking into account how many different stories overlap), but Topher Grace removes all of the character's menace. It really hurts me to write that, considering how wonderfully handled everything was concerning Brock's character before that point. But alas, despite Grace's strong and amiable efforts, his voice is just too awkward coming out of Venom's mouth. And all they needed was some slight voice alteration to fix the problem. Drats.

It's hard to cast this third (and possibly final) installment of the SPIDEY franchise in a more positive light, because frankly, there's nowhere to go but down. SPIDER-MAN 2 is a masterpiece! It created a perfect blend of action, story, and just good ol' comic book fun. SPIDER-MAN 3 does its best to follow through on this unreachable standard, and surprisingly enough, it comes very close to succeeding. Sure, the problems it has stand out like a sore thumb, but that doesn't stop the movie from sharing that same wonderful energy that was so very evident in the first two films.

It may not be a flawless endeavor, but it's certainly epic. Raimi and company reach for the stars, and instead end up making it halfway across the universe. It's one bumpy and crazy ride getting there, but when things go well, they go really damn well. And while some movie trilogies end on a note that make you yearn for one last installment to redeem the series (I'm looking at you, X3!), we should be so lucky to get a conclusive finish to the SPIDER-MAN series. Almost brings a tear to my eye."

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
No matter the quality of the film, Spider-Man 3 is likely to make the least of the trilogy. The hype just hasn't matched the previous film and with Pirates 3 only a couple weeks later it doesn't have a lot of room to breathe. I would guess it finishes around $310 million domestically.

P.S. - Spider-Man 2 is my favorite superhero film of all-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom