• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider Man: Across The Spider Verse | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

share.jpg

MOVIE INFO​

Miles Morales returns for the next chapter of the Oscar®-winning Spider-Verse saga, an epic adventure that will transport Brooklyn's full-time, friendly neighborhood Spider-Man across the Multiverse to join forces with Gwen Stacy and a new team of Spider-People to face off with a villain more powerful than anything they have ever encountered.

Rotten Tomatoes - 95/100 - 42 Critic Reviews

KAU1EFx.jpg

MetaCritic - 86/100 - 25 Critic Reviews

eJJcpNk.jpg

Reviews

Eric FranciscoInverse
Across the Spider-Verse nimbly weaves an intricate all-ages blockbuster with rare style and aplomb. It is both magnificent and exhausting, sometimes all at once.
David Gonzalez The Cinematic Reel Full Review | Original Score: 5/5 | May 31, 202
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is a marvelous & unforgettable cinematic triumph.From its spellbinding & breathtaking animation to all those spiders. Spider-verse exudes all the makings of another animated masterclass of storytelling & world-building.
Danielle Solzman - Full Review | Original Score: 5/5 | May 31, 2023
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse has the right mix of character development, emotional stakes, and action to make it a comic book movie masterpiece upon arrival in theaters.

Billbofet

Very excited to take my son to this. The first movie was a screensaver for our living room tv for nearly four months when it came to video.

Stafford

Just got back from the movie. After all the hype, but especially after how great the first one is I wanted to love this. But I like it, it's missing something for me. I guess I enjoyed the story of the first one more.

I am not a hardcore Spidey fan though, so chances are I will be in the minority with this. There are tons of easer eggs and references though.

As for that ending...

I hate this. At least call it Across the Spider Verse part 1, because then I know I don’t have to expect an ending with actual closure, like the first one did have. Harry Potter pulled this stuff, didn’t like it, but at least they called it part 1.

FastX pulled this crap, Mission Impossible is gonna do it but at least they do call it part one. I am not a fan of this at all. At least Beyond the Spider Verse is March 2024, so not like FastX with the 2025 date. Maybe it’s me but it seems to be starting to become a thing more and more and I don’t dig it.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
The first part was 9.5-10 for me, but the second part is much weaker. It's still a good 8+ but the fact that they split it into 2 or more parts doesn't do the movie any good. And the ending did not go down well with the audience.

Last edited:

Nvzman

I'm seeing it tomorrow, I'm still relatively excited although I personally thought the first movie was extremely overrated. The art style was terrific but the actual writing was largely mediocre.

The Skull

First one was definitely better for me although I still enjoyed this and yeah the cliff-hanger was bullshit and the pacing of the movie is so off.

trikster40

Don’t know how they did it, but it’s better than the first by far. Def my favorite CBM ever, just wish the sequel was coming out soon. Can’t wait to watch it again and catch things I missed. TONS of fam service in this one.

Just got back from the movie. After all the hype, but especially after how great the first one is I wanted to love this. But I like it, it's missing something for me. I guess I enjoyed the story of the first one more.

I am not a hardcore Spidey fan though, so chances are I will be in the minority with this. There are tons of easer eggs and references though.

As for that ending...

I hate this. At least call it Across the Spider Verse part 1, because then I know I don’t have to expect an ending with actual closure, like the first one did have. Harry Potter pulled this stuff, didn’t like it, but at least they called it part 1.

FastX pulled this crap, Mission Impossible is gonna do it but at least they do call it part one. I am not a fan of this at all. At least Beyond the Spider Verse is March 2024, so not like FastX with the 2025 date. Maybe it’s me but it seems to be starting to become a thing more and more and I don’t dig it.
We’ve known from the first teasers that it was part one.

I tried to watch the first one twice - could not get into it at all. It didn’t help that we were following an uninspiring character and that the animation style was too “novel”.

Batiman

Banned
I tried to watch the first one twice - could not get into it at all. It didn’t help that we were following an uninspiring character and that the animation style was too “novel”.
I thought miles was as a great character in the first. Novel or not the animation is probably one of the best in a long time. Beautiful to look at and clever with how it uses its frame rates in different scenarios

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hated the first one, so this will be a “wait for it on streaming”. Glad to see reviews seem to be glowing (though I think they were for the first one too… so going to be suspect if this)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Loved the first film and I'm sure the film is great and I will get round to watching it at some point, I kinda expect general woke some these days but that "Trans Kids" promotion just doesn't sit right with me even if it's a flash on the screen for 2 seconds.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Got out the theater just now. One of the most impressive animated films i ever seen.

Have some flaws but overall, every second of it is incredible.

Batiman

Banned
Hated the first one, so this will be a “wait for it on streaming”. Glad to see reviews seem to be glowing (though I think they were for the first one too… so going to be suspect if this)
Going to be suspect if this is what?

Urban

i liked the visuals but i didnt like the style of the storytelling and it was way too much for me.

qbxwhi

movie is great, but something is off with the audio mix for the voices . + also the voice acting is not good. everyone one mumbling / talking quiet while doing crazy action sequences.

stickkidsam

It goes without saying that animation in the movie was stellar. They went all out with this movie with incredible backgrounds, gorgeous fight scenes, and insane choreography! There’s a chase sequence halfway through the movie that nearly had my jaw on the floor for all the whacky and radical moves it pulled off.

The movie has some fun references and overall it’s a good time. Plenty of gags and goofs throughout. There’s good chemistry between Miles and Gwen, Miguel has understandable motives with a sense of weight to his actions, and Mile’s struggles with his family are heartfelt. The big bad of the movie also ties into some pretty cool twists for Miles while being pretty entertaining.

Now without spoiling anything:

The nitty gritty.

I think they get little carried away with the art and animation. I felt the first movie managed to strike a good balance of wild stylistic choices without it distracting from what was going on. With this movie though, there are scenes where they try to communicate emotion not just with subtle lighting and colors… it’s like the characters are sitting in a fuckin’ bucket of mixed up paint despite just being in a living room. It’s neat here and there, but it happens a lot in the latter half of the film. Might just be me though.

Miles as a character feels solid. Kid trying to go on his own journey and figure out what the right thing to do is. He had some good wit and the guts to make some tough decisions. Good stuff.

Gwen feels pretty well done as well. She gets developed a bit more than the first movie and ya get to see the weight she carries.

The supporting characters that hang out with Miles are fine enough. They are there to help move things along while providing some good giggles. They do their job and are enjoyable enough while they’re there.

That said, returning characters feel like they’ve had their balls cut off at many points in the film and Miguel is holding the purse.

Peter B Parker in particular gets this. He went from a comedic but competent guy in the first to just straight comedic relief. He doesn’t really add anything to the story’s progression nor does he actually help, only attempting to placate Miles while getting tricked into making things harder for him. Then there’s his daughter May. His kid isn’t just there for a second. She’s there throughout the whole damn movie and I couldn’t wrap my head around how the hell any Peter would expose his kid to this much danger, super powered or not.

The movie feels like it can’t decide on a tone. In the same scene you have people talking about responsibility and sacrifice while a VERY pregnant Spider Woman is doing wheelies and 5G turns on a motorcycle. Like… what the fuck?

The Spider Society felt like a cluster fuck of minions and paper thin references. Maybe that’s all it was supposed to be, but when this many absolute dipshits can be Spider-Man, what does that name even mean?

Guess we’ll see in the sequel.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I thought it was pretty fantastic. Visually astounding, almost too much so, especially Gwens runny oil painting world. The action was spectacular in a way that only animation can do, and when live action tries, it fails. Great parent/child dynamics, sitting there with my son was quite touching. My wife took our daughter to see "the Little Mermaid" (and WOW, were the little boys coming out of that theater opinionated about the mermaid :p and it seemed like that film hit many of the same emotional beats.

As a meta commentary about spiderman the film was incredible. Spiderman was always one of the heroes that anyone could project themselves into since he was completely masked, so seeing thunderthigh (sorry, 'body positive'), handicapped, and pregnant versions made sense. Also shows how shallow so many of those versions really are. Plus the idea that they all go through similar life defining moments and THAT is the key to being a "spider person" is a good insight. The hook to make Miles unique was well done as well, now I gotta go back to Spiderverse 1 to see if that was foreshadowed or not.

Really need that soundtrack on vinyl as well, this film is just gonna make vinyl more hip :p

Bravo Lord and Miller, bravo. Those Lego connections paid off as well :p

Just wanted to share my enthusiasm for the upcoming film “Across the Spider-Verse”! As a fan of the Spider-Man universe, I can’t wait to experience this highly anticipated sequel and dive deeper into the multiverse.

The first “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” was an absolute masterpiece, delivering a refreshing take on the superhero genre with its stunning animation, compelling storytelling, and a diverse array of Spider-Man characters. It left us all craving more!

Now, with “Across the Spider-Verse,” we have the opportunity to embark on another thrilling adventure alongside Miles Morales and the ever-expanding cast of Spider-heroes. I’m eager to see how the story unfolds, what new dimensions we’ll explore, and the breathtaking visuals that await us on the big screen.

Movies like this remind us of the incredible power of storytelling and how it can inspire, entertain, and unite people from all walks of life. The Spider-Man universe has resonated with audiences worldwide, transcending age, gender, and cultural boundaries.

I’ll be there on opening night, ready to be immersed in the Spider-Verse once again. Can’t wait to witness the web-slinging action, the heartfelt moments, and the unexpected surprises that this film promises to deliver.

If you’re a fellow Spider-Man enthusiast or simply enjoy great cinema, I encourage you to join me in experiencing “Across the Spider-Verse” and let’s celebrate the amazing creativity and imagination behind this remarkable franchise!

#SpiderManAcrossTheSpiderVerse #Marvel #CinemaMagic

Blade2.0

Just wanted to share my enthusiasm for the upcoming film “Across the Spider-Verse”! As a fan of the Spider-Man universe, I can’t wait to experience this highly anticipated sequel and dive deeper into the multiverse.

The first “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” was an absolute masterpiece, delivering a refreshing take on the superhero genre with its stunning animation, compelling storytelling, and a diverse array of Spider-Man characters. It left us all craving more!

Now, with “Across the Spider-Verse,” we have the opportunity to embark on another thrilling adventure alongside Miles Morales and the ever-expanding cast of Spider-heroes. I’m eager to see how the story unfolds, what new dimensions we’ll explore, and the breathtaking visuals that await us on the big screen.

Movies like this remind us of the incredible power of storytelling and how it can inspire, entertain, and unite people from all walks of life. The Spider-Man universe has resonated with audiences worldwide, transcending age, gender, and cultural boundaries.

I’ll be there on opening night, ready to be immersed in the Spider-Verse once again. Can’t wait to witness the web-slinging action, the heartfelt moments, and the unexpected surprises that this film promises to deliver.

If you’re a fellow Spider-Man enthusiast or simply enjoy great cinema, I encourage you to join me in experiencing “Across the Spider-Verse” and let’s celebrate the amazing creativity and imagination behind this remarkable franchise!

#SpiderManAcrossTheSpiderVerse #Marvel #CinemaMagic
Who let ChatGPT join?

Neolombax

One of the best movies I've seen this year. The animation was amazing and fluid, I don't think live action can similarly capture how kinetic the action is like this movie does. I loved the art style of this, I dont think there's any other movie out there like this. My wife didn't like visual style as much, she thought it was messy and erratic. it, but I loved it because it gave the scenes so much character. My son cried at the end because

it was a cliffhanger ending and Spiderman didn't technically "win". It caught me by surprise too, there was no indication that it was going to be a 2 part movie.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Holy shat !!

never expected it was gonna end in a cliffhanger got dam I was waiting for the final battle with spot lol kinda blown I’m anticipating the next one now

Top Bottom