• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parappa creator: PS3 not selling in Japan because "it is...

Raist

Banned
Crypto said:
I've heard this so many times that there has to be some truth to it. Seriously.

Japanese homes are small, but I didn't know they were THAT small.

They have to make a choice between a PS3 or a bathroom actually.

Crypto

Banned
JunoTaksumi said:
Well since they've had HDTV since like mid 90s, are you surprised by the penetration?

The standard was made in the 90's, has it been realistic to buy one for very long?

tanod

when is my burrito
Are the number of PS3 games released in Japan still in the very low double digit numbers?

Maybe that's why the IGDA said that it's like going to an expensive restaurant without buying food. Maybe with Gundam Musuo, Hot Shots 5 and Folk Lore, a person would finally have 3 games probably worth buying the system for in Japan.

For a second system, that has always been the cutoff for me (3 titles), and right now PS3 is playing 2nd fiddle to the PS2, Wii, DS, and PSP.

Arthursw1

So there you have it:

1) PS3 not selling well in Japan due to size (didn't we hear this excuse with xbox last gen? :lol)
2) 360 not selling well in Japan due to AC power adapter :)lol)
3) Wii development difficult due to over-usage of controller shaking :)lol)

Yes homes in japan are very small just look at this!
Me-MyApartment1.jpg

Me-MyApartment2.jpg

Me-MyApartment5.jpg

Images from:
http://www.beernut.ca/japan/archives/002511.html

Crypto said:
The standard was made in the 90's, has it been realistic to buy one for very long?

People have been buying MUSE-standard (analog!) HDTVs in Japan since 1991 (the standard was created years earlier). It was a niche, but people did buy. I even have friends here in the States that imported MUSE Hi-Vision laserdisc players and movies many years before BD and HD-DVD.

MUSE has of course been replaced by digital-carrier HD standards. But you can still use the sets via 1080i component input.

Crypto

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
People have been buying MUSE-standard (analog!) HDTVs in Japan since 1991 (the standard was created years earlier). It was a niche, but people did buy. I even have friends here in the States that imported MUSE Hi-Vision laserdisc players and movies many years before BD and HD-DVD.

MUSE has of course been replaced by digital-carrier HD standards. But you can still use the sets via 1080i component input.

Where those ATSC standard complaint HDTVs or more like monitors? Because I remember first hearing of the HDTV standard in 93.

Those pictures posted by Arthursw1 might be a bit above average in Japan, unless living in the city. Lots of Japanese still live in houses without central heating and sometimes very thin walls.

I won't say anything because these guys have 2 million sellers (Parappa, Tamagotchi). They gave Namco a million seller again...Tekken 3 was so long ago...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
theBishop said:
Heh... I think once the Japanese people throw out their CRT SDTVs in favor of LCD/Plasma HDTVs, that'll free up a lot of space for their PS3s or Xbox360 power supplies...

:lol

What? You obviously know nothing about Japan.

PhoenixDark said:
Japan doesn't like big things?

When those things aren't me, sure.

Arthursw1 said:
Me-MyApartment1.jpg

Me-MyApartment2.jpg

Me-MyApartment5.jpg

Images from:
http://www.beernut.ca/japan/archives/002511.html

That's pretty spot on. That's a bit like what my apartment looks like, except I have a 36" Hitachi HDTV, and a bunch of consoles...and piles of gaming artbooks.

http://www.eyesoute.com/trin/Photos/apartment/

Raist

Banned
theBishop said:
Everyone will know discipline!

Stop with this fake quote ! :lol

Ranger X said:
"1 and a half" appartments over here aren't really bigger...

(here = America)

Yeah, but actually there are 15 people living in those ones in Japan !

/cliché

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Arthursw1 said:

That looks like a million North American apartments I've seen, and I bet you the college kids who live there don't consider space one bit in their purchases....

the thing is in those pics you posted... one vertical shelf would let you stack 5+ PS3s in the space of that TV....

Evlar

Banned
Satter said:
01.jpg

You're Three Sixty Four????

Oh wait. I see the GC tucked back in the lower part of the shelf. And the PS2 and PS2 slim.

360GCPS2PS2S64. :)
Two PS2s duct-taped together.

D.Lo

He went on to reveal that NanaOn-Sha has been working on "a very casual, one-button game" - but declined to offer any further details.
Declined to offer further details? Maybe whoever wrote the story should do a bit of research:

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=7170

PALGN said:
Matsuura then gave a quick demonstration of this idea in practice – with his current project, a one button casual game called Rhythmica. A handheld game for mobile platforms, it plays with the user's own mp3 files stored on the hardware, and it creates a moving visual motif with them. While the song plays, "mysteriously letters appear one after another" on the screen, and the player must press the button the moment they see a letter that is part of the song's title.

pswii60

D.Lo said:
Declined to offer further details? Maybe whoever wrote the story should do a bit of research:

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=7170

Matsuura then gave a quick demonstration of this idea in practice – with his current project, a one button casual game called Rhythmica. A handheld game for mobile platforms, it plays with the user's own mp3 files stored on the hardware, and it creates a moving visual motif with them. While the song plays, "mysteriously letters appear one after another" on the screen, and the player must press the button the moment they see a letter that is part of the song's title.

Well maybe not, as that would be pure speculation. The Wii game might be an entirely different one-button game.

womfalcs3

Banned
Sales are closing in on 1,000,000 in Japan 6.5 months in. I don't consider that bad seeing as the good games haven't begun to come out yet.

womfalcs3 said:
Sales are closing in on 1,000,000 in Japan 6.5 months in. I don't consider that bad seeing as the good games haven't begun to come out yet.

Gee, sales of the PS2 were closing in on 1,000,000... 24 hours in. Hardly enough time for 'good games' too, you know? ;)

Arthursw1

BocoDragon said:
That looks like a million North American apartments I've seen, and I bet you the college kids who live there don't consider space one bit in their purchases....

My room alone it's bigger that that!!! :lol

D.Lo

pswii60 said:
Well maybe not, as that would be pure speculation. The Wii game might be an entirely different one-button game.
What are you talking about? They're separate answers - He's currently experimenting or thinking about a Wii game (work set to officially begin "soon, maybe"), and currently working on Rhythmica for mobiles.

I interviewed Matsuura about a month ago, and his current projects were Tamagotchi 3 and Rhythmica. He said some very interesting things about Wii development actually - that the hardware itself has moved into an area that was formerly occupied only by software.

mollipen

Forsete said:
Wow.. So people dont use computers either?

I knew a lot of Japanese households that had a laptop as their main computer. While I think blaming the PS3's failings on its size isn't quite an exact picture, it would also be a mistake to think that this isn't indeed an issue.

Haunted

shidoshi said:
I knew a lot of Japanese households that had a laptop as their main computer. While I think blaming the PS3's failings on its size isn't quite an exact picture, it would also be a mistake to think that this isn't indeed an issue.
If it's truly an issue, why did they design it that way?

Kaeru

Banned
Well there might be some truth in it.

Japanese people are IMO the total opposite of Americans.

They are in general very thin, unlike Americans who are the most obese people on this earth.
They eat healthy food, unlike Americans who introduced junk-food to the rest of the world.
Their houses are very sparse, unlike Americans who live in overly big houses.
They don't overconsume(does not apply to otakus).

Now I just have to visit USA to get my prejudices confirmed :D

Wiitard

Banned
If THAT is the reason PS3 tanked in Japan how do you explain the abysmal attach rate of PS3 in Japan? They don't have space to store disks?

You need to only look at software sales to see that size could not have been a really big part of the problem.

Haunted

Wiitard said:
If THAT is the reason PS3 tanked in Japan how do you explain the abysmal attach rate of PS3 in Japan? They don't have space to store disks?

You need to only look at software sales to see that size could not have been a really big part of the problem.
That's an excellent point. Considering the Wii attach rate, I can't see how a Wii + pile of games are any smaller than a PS3. :lol

Top Bottom