• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parappa creator: PS3 not selling in Japan because "it is...

test_account said:
Im not sure if "consolation prize" is the right phrase, but you must take those factors into consideration when it comes to PS3 sales. If PS3 was $349 and had i.e. FF13 and MGS4 out and still only sold ~10k each week, then it would be crazy. But these games and price isnt there yet so i dont think ~10k each week is too bad considering the current situation.

Sure, it will take some time to get the price down alot, but one day it will happend. Question is, what will happend then? Will people buy it like crazy or will it be too late?

What's the price of the PS3 in Japan? I thought it was about $420 or so.

But yeah, there's still a lot of time left to see what happens. I'd love to see the PS3 make a comeback and compete, but history shows that once the ball gets rolling in a market leaders favor, it just keeps on going.

But this is admittedly a wacky generation that's hard to compare to others. I think Sony's about done for in Japan, but it really is too soon to tell for sure until a few months after FFXIII comes out. Nothing else, save for GT5, has the ability to make much of a dent.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Well, I guess you can take that as a consolation prize...

Trouble is, it's going to take a long time to fix those too factors. In my entirely uneducated guess, I predict sales are more likely to drop below 40k/month than reach the very mediocre 100k/month PS3 is struggling to manage. The bar for success has been knocked down so low for the PS3 that it's a "victory" if it manages to outpace the embarrassing failure that was the Gamecube.

Hey, hey, hey, non of that in here. You take your GC stabs up your ass, and get yourself outta here.

It's only cos it was purple, and still managed to equal xbox. It also made a healthy profit, let alone any. And at least it sold software.

Jokes aside, I used to think it did really bad, but once I came to Uni, loads of people have GC's, I know hardly anyone with Xbox's, and even more surprising is none of them are collecting dust. I guess it must have something to do with the cult following, or party and drug induced culture. Stoner sessions always end up with MK:DD, SSBM or SMstrikers. I have even seen quite a bit of DKonga and warioware. It was so popular, it inspired me to get a GC as late as 2006 Summer.

test_account

XP-39C²
Forgotten Ancient said:
What's the price of the PS3 in Japan? I thought it was about $420 or so.

But yeah, there's still a lot of time left to see what happens. I'd love to see the PS3 make a comeback and compete, but history shows that once the ball gets rolling in a market leaders favor, it just keeps on going.

But this is admittedly a wacky generation that's hard to compare to others. I think Sony's about done for in Japan, but it really is too soon to tell for sure until a few months after FFXIII comes out. Nothing else, save for GT5, has the ability to make much of a dent.

Im not sure, but i think i calculated the price to about $520 some weeks ago if i dont remember completely wrong. Play-Asia is still selling it for $599 (japanese model), but i'm pretty sure most retailers in Japan sell it cheaper than this. So i guess around $500 for the 60GB model.

I read earlier here that PSX only sold 1 million units the first year, but after FF7 came out it went crazy. Back then there wasnt thousands (atleast its alot hehe) of FF games like it is today so i have no idea if FF13 will have the same effect.

Nevertheless, if PS3 "fails" it will still have some great games for it :)

the thoroughbred said:
Hey, hey, hey, non of that in here. You take your GC stabs up your ass, and get yourself outta here.

It's only cos it was purple, and still managed to equal xbox. It also made a healthy profit, let alone any. And at least it sold software.

Jokes aside, I used to think it did really bad, but once I came to Uni, loads of people have GC's, I know hardly anyone with Xbox's, and even more surprising is none of them are collecting dust. I guess it must have something to do with the cult following, or party and drug induced culture. Stoner sessions always end up with MK:DD, SSBM or SMstrikers. I have even seen quite a bit of DKonga and warioware. It was so popular, it inspired me to get a GC as late as 2006 Summer.

I loved my Gamecube, but NPD+Media-Create > Stoner anecdotes.

...but yeah, Ikaruga was some retarded shit when I was high. I made it through the first two levels comboing everything! I could only do that 1 out of 20 times sober. :lol

I know, i was weaksauce at that game.

test_account said:
The latest Media Create numbers shows 874,614 PS3 sold, its not a pinch over 800k. 900k is nearly 1 million. But if you have a different opinion about whats "nearly 1 million" thats ok with me.
Why speak of what's near a number when you have that number itself? Why treat the PS3 as a piece of hardware that has sold a million units when we can talk of it as sell 874,614 units? Arguing over what defines valid approximations and then using those approximations to try prove points is rather ridiculous.

test_account said:
Was GC concidered a big failure after 6 months?
What kind of failure? It certainly wasn't a fiscal failure. Nintendo profited off of the GC quite well.
So was it a market share failure? Indeed it was. The people who denied it were fanboys and spinners.

test_account said:
Wasnt the price like $200 at the time, not $500 like PS3? And what games were out within the period for Gamecube? Atleast they had a Luigi game out for launch.
It seems to me the argument you're trying to make is that the PS3 should be considered more successful than the GC because it has captured a similar market share while costing more and having a worse game line-up. For one thing, I think people can argue the either way. I think people could argue that the GC was more successful since it captured a similar market share to the PS3 with technology that worse relative to its time. People could also argue the the GC was more successful because it sold to a larger portion of its demographic.

This doesn't matter, it's all spin. What does matter is the performance of the PS3 now and whether or not that performance will bring about a sustained output of quality software from game developers. As of right now, the future isn't as bright as people were expecting for the PS3 and that those people, with possible minor decreases of graphical quality, can have a similar experience on the 360, or with the complete sacrifice a certain set of games, have a much more gameplay oriented experience with the wii. (not saying the 360 lacks a gameplay experience, either.)

consoul

Masaya Matsuura said:
I respect Nintendo's activities, but for software designers like us, it's very hard.
It ain't a problem for the man.

You gotta do what? You gotta do what? You gotta BELIEVE!!

mj1108

Mar_ said:
It's very hard and too big.

"That's what she said."

carell.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
Earthstrike said:
Why speak of what's near a number when you have that number itself? Why treat the PS3 as a piece of hardware that has sold a million units when we can talk of it as sell 874,614 units? Arguing over what defines valid approximations and then using those approximations to try prove points is rather ridiculous.

Read my previous posts, i'm not going to repeat all i've said. Seems like you're trying to start an argument here even after i said i dont want to start an argument about it. Now that is rather ridiculous.

Earthstrike said:
What kind of failure? It certainly wasn't a fiscal failure. Nintendo profited off of the GC quite well.
So was it a market share failure? Indeed it was. The people who denied it were fanboys and spinners.

You tell me, thats why i asked :)

Earthstrike said:
It seems to me the argument you're trying to make is that the PS3 should be considered more successful than the GC because it has captured a similar market share while costing more and having a worse game line-up.

No, i didnt mention anything about the Gamecube. It was other people who pulled GC into the discussion. All i said was that considering the current situation with a rather high price and lack of games, 874,614 sold PS3 isnt really that bad.

mj1108

test_account said:
All i said was that considering the current situation with a rather high price and lack of games, 874,614 sold PS3 isnt really that bad.

Whatever makes you feel better.

StevieP

Banned
test_account said:
Yes, i feel all warm and cozy inside me when i think about it :) Arent you familiar with that feeling when you think of PS3?

I thought that was the searing heat pouring out the side of the system.

big_z

If you can play wii sports in your home then you have enough room for a ps3. I think the japanese just want something new... cant really blame them either.

As for apartment sizes here's a new york apartment someone on ign lives in. His back is up against the opposite corner when taking these pics... and he sleeps on a ledge.
apar1.jpg

apar2.jpg

apar3.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh that's crazy. Even my dorm room was 120 square feet in Manhattan, and that was PLENTY big.

test_account

XP-39C²
big_z said:
If you can play wii sports in your home then you have enough room for a ps3. I think the japanese just want something new... cant really blame them either.

As for apartment sizes here's a new york apartment someone on ign lives in.
apar1.jpg

They do have space for a rather large aquarium tho :lol

big_z

Forgotten Ancient said:
:lol

Is there even anything inside it?

no but he said he was going to put a fish inside soon. i cant remember the room dimensions but it's less than 6'x6'x?'

santouras

I saw this guy talk at a recent game expo here in aus and he was pretty switched on. His talk I would say was by far and away the most interesting and compelling of the day

He went on to reveal that NanaOn-Sha has been working on "a very casual, one-button game" - but declined to offer any further details.

He actually was talking about this game as well but I can't remember what he said about it now :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Satter said:
01.jpg

You're Three Sixty Four????

Oh wait. I see the GC tucked back in the lower part of the shelf. And the PS2 and PS2 slim.

360GCPS2PS2S64. :)

That's a pretty damn old photo. Also, it doesn't give that accurate an assessment of the size of the apartment.

This is what an average japanese apartment is like:

apt02.jpg

thetrin said:
That's a pretty damn old photo. Also, it doesn't give that accurate an assessment of the size of the apartment.

This is what an average japanese apartment is like:

apt02.jpg

He has alot of PS2 and DS games. I want that Gundam figure :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
vectorman06 said:
He has alot of PS2 and DS games. I want that Gundam figure :lol

By he, you mean me? That's my apartment. :p

(95% of my game collection is in the states. I send games back to the states whenever that shelf gets full)

thetrin

davepoobond said:
if you guys clear out all those freakin action figures you'd have room for a projector screen

What's the fun in that?

XiaNaphryz said:
That's clearly not average, there's a PS3 and 360 in the shot! :D

/runs

Alright, alright. So my apartment is not average. Actually, I also have pictures on the walls, and my laundry isnt in plain sight. Yeah, I guess it's not average.

The size thing doesn't make sense to me. The PS3 will be your Bluray player, replace your DVD player, PS2, PS1, and replace your MP3/CD player as well. It can also surf the internet and linux should give divx support so you can watch all the hentai you want. It pretty much is, or will be, your main media/entertainment center. Plus wireless is built in so you don't need a wired router with cables hanging everywhere. It just makes more sense, if i were japanese, to get a ps3

MidgarBlowedUp said:
The size thing doesn't make sense to me. The PS3 will be your Bluray player, replace your DVD player, PS2, PS1, and replace your MP3/CD player as well. It can also surf the internet and linux should give divx support so you can watch all the hentai you want. It pretty much is, or will be, your main media/entertainment center. Plus wireless is built in so you don't need a wired router with cables hanging everywhere. It just makes more sense, if i were japanese, to get a ps3

No it won't. PSP won't either. They're not Apple.

And you're an idiot if you throw away your primary means of accessing the internet in favor of the PS3 browser. Even the Wii browser is "better".

Top Bottom