• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parappa creator: PS3 not selling in Japan because "it is...

Arthursw1 said:
That's about the size of the apartment I rented when I was still at college (Germany). Though you do have a point. There's a lot of Japanese living on those little rocky islands, that's for sure.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Oh snapple! I was just thinking about the awesomeness of Parappa the other day and was wishing that the creator would do a Wii game. It seemed like his kind of machine, you know? I didn't think that this was possible though. I always thought that his company was a Sony second party. I am damn glad to be wrong this time :)

ghibli99

Humorous points aside, this is cool news that he's working on a new game... I went to his session at GDC back in like 2000, and his approach to and philosophy about game design really resonated with me.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Vib Waggle?
I'd play that.

Wink

WTF guys. When the PS3 was shown in it's now form, many gaffers were saying Sony is making a lot of mistakes other companies already experienced. One of them being bigger and heavier than the original XBox.

Uncooked

Banned
So the Japanese don't have space for the power adapter but have space to jump around and play Wii Tennis and Bowling? That makes sense.

Ranger X

Wink said:
WTF guys. When the PS3 was shown in it's now form, many gaffers were saying Sony is making a lot of mistakes other companies already experienced. One of them being bigger and heavier than the original XBox.

And even then we thought it was a non-issue.

Neo C.

There are certainly other reasons for the bad sales performance of the PS3, but size does matter. Not in the sense that you don't have the space for it, but people not only in Japan like small things (well except the american people).

Iwata putting three dvds on the table and kicking the asses of the engineers are some of the key moves he made.

Evlar

Banned
Kaeru said:
Well there might be some truth in it.

Japanese people are IMO the total opposite of Americans.

They are in general very thin, unlike Americans who are the most obese people on this earth.
They eat healthy food, unlike Americans who introduced junk-food to the rest of the world.
Their houses are very sparse, unlike Americans who live in overly big houses.
They don't overconsume(does not apply to otakus).

Now I just have to visit USA to get my prejudices confirmed :D
Yeah, you're... pretty much correct. It doesn't apply to everyone but there certainly is an American tendency to overconsume.

Goldrusher

Seriously, it's not like it has the size of a fridge.
If you don't have space for it, then you live in a 1m² cardboard box.

Sharp

The Sphinx said:
Yeah, you're... pretty much correct. It doesn't apply to everyone but there certainly is an American tendency to overconsume.
About two thirds of American adults are overweight, and I think about 40% are obese. It's a serious problem.

None of which explains why the PS3 sells so badly in America, of course, since we should also like spending "big bucks."

Terrell

Forsete said:
Wow.. So people dont use computers either?
Well, I heard that Apple has some of its highest market penetration in Japan, but that has a lot to do with the OS being so easy to configure to be entirely in Japanese, on top of the small size aesthetic. But yeah, lots of Japanese people own portable computers, too.

Wiitard

Banned
Terrell said:
Well, I heard that Apple has some of its highest market penetration in Japan, but that has a lot to do with the OS being so easy to configure to be entirely in Japanese, on top of the small size aesthetic. But yeah, lots of Japanese people own portable computers, too.

Desktops are becoming things of the past in US as well. Soon 90% all of the desktops will be bought by government, busnesses, education institutions and gamers.

haircut

Sharp said:
About two thirds of American adults are overweight, and I think about 40% are obese. It's a serious problem.

None of which explains why the PS3 sells so badly in America, of course, since we should also like spending "big bucks."
Yes, Americans are incredibly fat. We're surrounded by tons of unhealthy, cheap food and eating makes us happy.

No, Americans aren't simply big spenders. We're always looking for the best deals on consumables and small items. We only overspend when the possibility of going into debt enters the picture (houses, cars, etc.). Otherwise, value is very important to us and we will generally take the cheapest or second-cheapest alternative.

Regarding Parappa, wouldn't it be cool if they made a new game and Lammy was in it, but she was older and hot? She could wear emo glasses.

Haunted One said:
If it's truly an issue, why did they design it that way?
If $600 was going to be an issue, why did they price it that way? Bad decisions usually don't seem nearly as bad until you start seeing their consequences.

Deku

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
If $600 was going to be an issue, why did they price it that way? Bad decisions usually don't seem nearly as bad until you start seeing their consequences.

Its effectively $500 in JPN.

Another example of a gamedesigner too ignorant to get what the wii is about.
It's not about make everything exhausting as **** or as simple as possible, it's about making things that were complex before more easy to do, but not make the games braindead or hyperactive.

phez

Banned
3060000000056998.JPG

Link316

Banned
Ranger X said:
And even then we thought it was a non-issue.

not me, I always had a problem with the PS3 design, if this issue is for real in Japan and rushes out the PSThree then all the better, Sony could certainly use a relaunch like Nintendo did with the DS

Well, anyone with even a pinch of common sense would know that 1 PS3 costs the same as around 2 Wii's. So you should just assume its sales are around double what they currently are. Which should put it ahead of GC. Plus it takes longer to save up 60,000 yen than it does for 30,000 yen. Probably double to timeframe. So you might as well half the weeks too. Now that's a fair test.

the thoroughbred said:
Well, anyone with even a pinch of common sense would know that 1 PS3 costs the same as around 2 Wii's. So you should just assume its sales are around double what they currently are. Which should put it ahead of GC. Plus it takes longer to save up 60,000 yen than it does for 30,000 yen. Probably double to timeframe. So you might as well half the weeks too. Now that's a fair test.

You're joke post don't anymore because the Wii is now outselling the PS3 at least 7 to 1 :p

Arthursw1

the thoroughbred said:

You have sort of a point here! :p i'm going to reserch on this!:)

Eteric Rice

I like small myself, but it doesn't decide if I'll buy a console or not. Japan is a different story when it comes to these things, though.

haircut

I don't suppose there are any rumours of MS making the 360 small 'n' sexy a la PStwo when they push out the 65nm chips? Maybe they could at least get rid of the power brick? ;)

Well, it takes more space to play Wii Sports than it does to play a PS3. I actually had to take the Wii out of my bedroom and put it in the living room because I hated people jumping around and knocking stuff over in my room.

I remember size being one of the complaints about the original Xbox. It seems like a weird reason, but stranger things have happened.

test_account said:
I agree that nearly 1 million PS3 sold in about 6 months isnt that bad concidering the price and lack of games. Eventho PS2 did much much better it doesnt mean that 1 million is bad in general. Compared to PS2 sales, bad might be the right word to use, but not in general in my opinion.

At this rate, the PS3 will be lucky to hit 1 million within 8 months. When you're selling 10-12k units a week, being a pinch over 800k isn't "nearly 1 million".

test_account said:
The latest Media Create numbers shows 874,614 PS3 sold, its not a pinch over 800k. 900k is nearly 1 million. But if you have a different opinion about whats "nearly 1 million" thats ok with me.
Well if the sales rate stays steady we are about 12 weeks away from the PS3 surpassing the 1 million mark, so I say he's right and you're wrong, the PS3 installed base is not nearly 1 million, we're going to see many media create sales reports before that day comes.

test_account said:
The latest Media Create numbers shows 874,614 PS3 sold, its not a pinch over 800k. 900k is nearly 1 million. But if you have a different opinion about whats "nearly 1 million" thats ok with me.

Going by the graph you quoted, it was just a pinch over 800k.

If the PS3 is in fact at 874,614, assuming a generous 15k per week performance,
the PS3 will crack a million in about 8 and a half weeks.

At that pace it'll have taken the PS3 about 33 weeks to hit the million mark. Solid, if not spectacular.

- I think it'll take several weeks longer -

test_account

XP-39C²
Forgotten Ancient said:
Going by the graph you quoted, it was just a pinch over 800k.

If the PS3 is in fact at 874,614, assuming a generous 15k per week performance,
the PS3 will crack a million in about 8 and a half weeks.

At that pace it'll have taken the PS3 about 33 weeks to hit the million mark. Solid, if not spectacular.

- I think it'll take several weeks longer -

Question is, is it going to be ~10k selling rate each week for the next 8-10 weeks :) I never said the sales were spectacular, i said that in my opinion i dont think the sale is that bad considering the price and lack of games.

test_account said:
Was GC concidered a big failure after 6 months? Wasnt the price like $200 at the time, not $500 like PS3? And what games were out within the period for Gamecube? Atleast they had a Luigi game out for launch.

I think most considered it a failure long before that. I seem to remember people saying Nintendo should just go third party.

Also, the PS2 cost MORE than the GameCube at the time the GCN launched, so clearly price isn't quite everything. At least, not in Japan.

But whatever. By January 2008, we'll know.

test_account

XP-39C²
Eteric Rice said:
I think what he's trying to say is while it may be close to a million, it won't be hitting it anytime soon.

Yep, i never mentioned anything about how long it was going to take. Still close to a million :)

Miniboss1232 said:
I think most considered it a failure long before that. I seem to remember people saying Nintendo should just go third party.

Also, the PS2 cost MORE than the GameCube at the time the GCN launched, so clearly price isn't quite everything. At least, not in Japan.

But whatever. By January 2008, we'll know.

Serious? I always thought the GC was doing pretty well in the begining. I never knew it was labeled as failure this early, like the PS3.

test_account said:
As said, i you think its dead wrong to say that about 900k isnt near a million thats ok with me. Im not going to use energy to argue about if 900k is close to a million or not, its pointless. Its no key answer to it. Anyway, how long is the ~10k weekly selling rate going to last, thats the question.

Ah yes, SSBM was released only like 2 months after the GC. No wonder it did better than the PS3 is doing :)

On a number scale, 900,000 is close to 1,000,000. But you have to factor in the pacing of those figures. At this current 7.5:1 weekly Wii to PS3 ratio, Nintendo is set to have 10 million Wiis sold before the PS3 hits 2 million - even though 874,614 is closer to 2 million than 2,371,815 is to 10 million on a number scale.

"Closeness" is relative to current trends, not static numbers. At least, in my interpretation of it all.

Threi

notag
the thoroughbred said:

*huh my pic went poof*

test_account

XP-39C²
Forgotten Ancient said:
On a number scale, 900,000 is close to 1,000,000. But you have to factor in the pacing of those figures. At this current 7.5:1 weekly Wii to PS3 ratio, Nintendo is set to have 10 million Wiis sold before the PS3 hits 2 million - even though 874,614 is closer to 2 million than 2,371,815 is to 10 million on a number scale.

"Closeness" is relative to current trends, not static numbers. At least, in my interpretation of it all.

As i replied to Eteric Rice's quote, i never mentioned how long it would take to reach 1 million, 900k is still close ;) As you say, "close" is relative and there is no key answer to it, therefor i dont want to start a big discussion about it if its close or not. Its upto each person to determain that. If some think its not close, i respect that. What else can i do, no need to argue about it :)

spwolf

Phife Dawg said:
That's about the size of the apartment I rented when I was still at college (Germany). Though you do have a point. There's a lot of Japanese living on those little rocky islands, that's for sure.

they should market it as an heater - it could easily heat up that small apt

:D

test_account said:
Question is, is it going to be ~10k selling rate each week for the next 8-10 weeks :) I never said the sales were spectacular, i said that in my opinion i dont think the sale is that bad considering the price and lack of games.

Well, I guess you can take that as a consolation prize...

Trouble is, it's going to take a long time to fix those too factors. In my entirely uneducated guess, I predict sales are more likely to drop below 40k/month than reach the very mediocre 100k/month PS3 is struggling to manage. The bar for success has been knocked down so low for the PS3 that it's a "victory" if it manages to outpace the embarrassing failure that was the Gamecube.

test_account said:
As i replied to Eteric Rice's quote, i never mentioned how long it would take to reach 1 million, 900k is still close ;) As you say, "close" is relative and there is no key answer to it, therefor i dont want to start a big discussion about it if its close or not. Its upto each person to determain that. If some think its not close, i respect that. What else can i do, no need to argue about it :)

It's all good man. You've always seemed pretty cool and I don't want to sound like I'm being too harsh..but I had to make the distinction between what you and I thought defined the term "close". :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Forgotten Ancient said:
Well, I guess you can take that as a consolation prize...

Trouble is, it's going to take a long time to fix those too factors. In my entirely uneducated guess, I predict sales are more likely to drop below 40k/month than reach the very mediocre 100k/month PS3 is struggling to manage. The bar for success has been knocked down so low for the PS3 that it's a "victory" if it manages to outpace the embarrassing failure that was the Gamecube.

Im not sure if "consolation prize" is the right phrase, but you must take those factors into consideration when it comes to PS3 sales. If PS3 was $349 and had i.e. FF13 and MGS4 out and still only sold ~10k each week, then it would be crazy. But these games and price isnt there yet so i dont think ~10k each week is too bad considering the current situation.

Sure, it will take some time to get the price down alot, but one day it will happend. Question is, what will happend then? Will people buy it like crazy or will it be too late?

Forgotten Ancient said:
It's all good man. You've always seemed pretty cool and I don't want to sound like I'm being too harsh..but I had to make the distinction between what you and I thought defined the term "close". :)

No problem, i didnt take it like that :)

Arthursw1 said:
You have sort of a point here! :p i'm going to reserch on this!:)
You go do your research, but us old timers, who have been around as early as the PS1 days, know our stuff. What is it you people call us nowadays, retro?

..heh, who woulda thought, I actually discovered another way to spin, its viable too. I believed they'd all been said and rinsed dry.

Top Bottom