• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PSX/PS2/DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, BLU-RAY 720p!!!!)

Darobga said:
From AVSforum

For those of you that dont know, the 3930CI is widely accepted as one of the top upscaling DVD players in existance today. It also carries a hefty price tag! SONY has done an excellent job with this update!

fyeahuq1.gif

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
I have just completed the HQV tests on the PS3 on firmware 1.8. The good news is that the PS3 now passes ALL the tests on the DVD, cadence, interlacing, artifacting. The output is clearly superior over my Denon 3930CI DVD player. The PS3 extracts more detail from standard DVDs over anything else I have seen.

excellent, excellent news. my oppo upscaling player is well regarded, but it has a macroblocking issue that looks really nasty on certain discs. i might switch to the ps3 as my primary player...though i'm not sure i want to put that stress on the drive.

-Rogue5-

CSSer said:
Someone said on the previous page that MP4 isn't supported, and only sd mpeg2 is supported.

WTF is the point? If true, that's horrible. Sony could have pulled the rug out from under the 360's streaming capabilities... took the wind out of their sails... instead they're (current) functionality is useless.

kuYuri

I've been wondering now, now that pretty much all games can be upscaled, is there any point in getting PS3 models without the EE (AKA the EU model)?

patsu

Darobga said:
For those of you that dont know, the 3930CI is widely accepted as one of the top upscaling DVD players in existance today. It also carries a hefty price tag! SONY has done an excellent job with this update!

How much ?

JB1981

-Rogue5- said:
WTF is the point? If true, that's horrible. Sony could have pulled the rug out from under the 360's streaming capabilities... took the wind out of their sails... instead they're (current) functionality is useless.
speculation is that the OS doesn't have enough memory to support hd media streaming.

Doel

My PS3 recognizes Orb 2.0, but can only display the pictures. Music gives me unsupported data, and then Orb crashed before I could check the videos.

Darobga said:
From AVSforum

I'm going to die of too much happiness.

-Rogue5-

JB1981 said:
speculation is that the OS doesn't have enough memory to support hd media streaming.

I'm not even talking about HD (yet)... I just want DivX/Xvid/etc. to work. I know they didn't mention it at all, but seriously, unless they do something of that nature, they'll just be trailing MS's streaming capabilities.

Maggot9

Banned
JB1981 said:
dayum, BLACK looks very nice upscaled.

Not on my TV..Seriously WTF is up? I can't tell a difference when all the upscaling settings are on in my PS2 games.

So far I've tried Black, Killzone, DMC3, and SotC...

and the only DVD i tried so far didnt upscale at all...

Darobga said:
From AVSforum

I emailed Robert Heron from DL.TV earlier today and he said he was going to redo his DVD tests on the new update, maybe as early as tomorrow's episode (but most likely next Tuesday's). Should be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Ploid 3.0

-Rogue5- said:
How long has Calling all Cars been available for? I thought it was indefinitely delayed.

What what?

--
Do I have to put my PC's ethernet cable on the router's lan connection to be able to share?

Varshes

Wow, fastest download ever for an update on my wireless network, took less than 2 minutes. Can't wait to check out the new stuff.

SpacLock

After taking those pictures for the DVD upscaling I got sucked into the movie and came across a part I had to take a picture of.

100_3777.jpg

I'm starting to like this new update a lot.

-Rogue5-

Maggot9 said:
Not on my TV..Seriously WTF is up? I can't tell a difference when all the upscaling settings are on in my PS2 games.

So far I've tried Black, Killzone, DMC3, and SotC...

and the only DVD i tried so far didnt upscale at all...

I noticed a major difference between upscaled and non-upscaled DVDs, as well as 1080i and 720p BD playback (specifically in the text.) As for PS2/PS1 I barely notice any improvement; it's more or less a trade-off -- do you want smoother, but less detailed images, or rougher, but crisper ones?

is there any reason I can't get my PS/PS2 Upscaler to Full Screen?

I have a 1080p Samsung through HDMI. When I try to change it to Full Screen the screen goes blank, I get a no signal message, and after 30 seconds it returns as Normal again.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:

That doesn't make any sense to me. With the XMB not available in-game, any time you're not in a game the OS should be free to do whatever the hell it wants. If sony can't configure it to do that, then they really suck.

I mean, they're making a TON of progress on getting the OS up to speed, but they have a long way to go.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
TheJollyCorner said:

I have a 1080p Samsung through HDMI. When I try to change it to Full Screen the screen goes blank, I get a no signal message, and after 30 seconds it returns as Normal again.

I had the same problem here is the fix for it.....I'm being lazy and just reposted my other post from another forum

I was having the same problem....

go into your display settings and take off 1080i/1080p. then finish the connection. restart your ps3 then go into your ps/ps3 scaler and set it to full screen, then go back and change your display to 1080p and viola!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Wow. Color me impressed. Solid upscaling, awesome DVD playback, media connect streaming. Bravo. My Monolithic Unicorn is a happy panda right now.

Only major gripe: Streaming music organization is horrible. The heirarchy system used is crap, and finding and playing albums is horrible. Sorry for the lciche, but I want a standard "Apple"-y heirarchy of filtering down from artists, to albums, and having that album play in order. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this whole "look for artist, oh here's every song you have from them in a giant mess" crap doesn't cut it.

SpacLock

TheJollyCorner said:

XMB - Game Settings - PS/PS2 Upscaler - Full Screen

Edit: Never mind. I didn't read the whole post.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Darobga said:
From AVSforum

Best post in this whole thread

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JB1981 said:
That's complete nonsense - then again if it comes from AV forums I'm not surprised in the least.

tanod

when is my burrito
I'm now running my PS3 in 720p mode since that is the native mode of my TV. Have Super White and Full Color HDMI turned on. Smoothing and Upscaling and Normal view.

Looks like awesome-wowsome!!! Tried MGS3 - sweet, RE4 - sweet, Click on Blu-Ray - sweet, Crash Bandicoot off of PS Store - ****ing awesome.

I think that PS1 games will probably benefit the most, but EVERYthing seems a lot sharper on my TV now. Probably more because of the 720p and the HDMI white and color settings than anything else.

I have to get to bed. It's gonna be an interesting 3-day weekend testing all this stuff out. Too bad I didn't get into the WarHawk beta. Also have to do some more ****ing around with the Media Center stuff. I'm guessing I can get it to work if I screw with it enough. G'night GAF.

Agent X

JB1981 said:
wow so now i can't connect to psn. ****ing great.

edit: so goddamn erratic. I restart the ps3 and now i sign into psn with no problems. wow

I'm not sure what the deal is. It almost always fails at boot (even though sometimes I get the "Signed In" message), but then I can usually log in manually after that. I was able to play three games of Resistance online with no problems.

Either there's something wacky on their server that handles logins, or we could be seeing firmware 1.81 sooner rather than later.

snorggy

not sure if this has been answered yet since this thread is a massive 27 pages, i don't really want to go back and check.. but what does "RGB Full Range (HDMI)" do when it's turned to "Full" ?? I assume "full" is better than "limited" so i turned it on.. but the screen didn't even flicker or anything and i notice no difference...

Kittonwy

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Wow. Color me impressed. Solid upscaling, awesome DVD playback, media connect streaming. Bravo. My Monolithic Unicorn is a happy panda right now.

Only major gripe: Streaming music organization is horrible. The heirarchy system used is crap, and finding and playing albums is horrible. Sorry for the lciche, but I want a standard "Apple"-y heirarchy of filtering down from artists, to albums, and having that album play in order. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this whole "look for artist, oh here's every song you have from them in a giant mess" crap doesn't cut it.

pandawanda.jpg

Awntawn

druie said:
WiFi Issues: I disabled the 'Media Server Connection' under Network Settings, and I've avoided all problems since.

Thank you, you saved my life.

I guess the Media Server crap is a non-feature this round for me D;

JB1981

Fafalada said:
That's complete nonsense - then again if it comes from AV forums I'm not surprised in the least.
well i'm glad to hear that. thank you for clearing it up. that's the last time i post speculation from other shitty forums. heh

tanod

when is my burrito
Shawn128 said:
::reads title::

;_; Wait a second, when was this announced to have 720p Blu-Ray?...is this true?

I confirmed it right after I downloaded the update.

Snorggy - Full color - HDMI enhances color depth. Watch the PS3 XMB wave in the background as you change it. It definitely gets richer. There is no flicker

JB1981

Holy shit.

Full range HDMI completey improved the contrast on my TV. Blacks are a lot richer and whites are whiter. Color POPS. **** YEAH!!!!

garrickk

Using Windows Media Player 11, I have all my photos and audio shared - including WMA audio - and they all work fine.

I can browse all my audio on the PS3 by artist/album/etc. perfectly fine. Everything is neatly organized for the most part. Now I just need a way to queue items....

I couldn't get TVersity to work with audio files.

I haven't tried any mp4 or mpeg video files yet.

snorggy said:
not sure if this has been answered yet since this thread is a massive 27 pages, i don't really want to go back and check.. but what does "RGB Full Range (HDMI)" do when it's turned to "Full" ?? I assume "full" is better than "limited" so i turned it on.. but the screen didn't even flicker or anything and i notice no difference...

looks like it pretty much opens up the color range alot...well...wider

Some HDTVs (including my Bravia S2000) do something similar....

JB1981 said:
Holy shit.

Full range HDMI completey improved the contrast on my TV. Blacks are a lot richer and whites are whiter. Color POPS. **** YEAH!!!!

pretty much :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, I'm disabling the streaming connect thing till we get an answer on all this disconnect stuff.

But hey, I gots my upscaled PS1/2/DVD and even better looking BD support, so who am I to complain. :D

Top Bottom