• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PSX/PS2/DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, BLU-RAY 720p!!!!)

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm getting frustrated, I can't get the media sharing to work on multiple PC's (one is a laptop) on my network using WMP11 or TVersity. Firewalls etc have been disabled.

WTF

:(

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JB1981 said:
that's the last time i post speculation from other shitty forums. heh
It wasn't directed at you (I'm really sorry if post sounded like it) just that speculations from certain AV forum insiders about PS3 hw capabilities have been consistently aimed at pointing out unexisting bottlenecks and limitations.

But this one is just common sense - if PS3 can't stream HD because of memory, one begs the question how it's done on that other machine with the same amount of memory ;) (not to mention other hw with similar or less resources available). Truth be said, even if memory was a significant bottleneck, it's a trivial matter to allocate entire streaming buffer on the HDD, and then you just end up with same memory requirement as playing from local HDD files or DVD/BR discs.

Banned
Vic said:
Best post in this whole thread
Apart from the fact that it's wrong. I've now gone through HQV v1.4 (latest version) twice now, and it's not close to a full pass. It is much better than the 360 now though.

As I posted in the upscaling thread:

andrewfee said:
Vertical detail - flickering. 5/10

Jaggies 1 - Pass. 5/5

Jaggies 2 - Partial. Fails on lower bar. 3/5

Flag test - Minor jaggies visible in flag. 5/10

Picture detail. Detail is visible, but a little soft compared to other players. No ringing though. 5/10

Noise reduction. Does almost nothing. 0/10

Motion Adaptive noise reduction. Does almost nothing, causes a little smearing. 0/10

3:2 detection. Actually works! But a little slow. 5/10

Cadence detection:
2:2 - Pass.
2:2:2:4 - Flicker, fail.
2:3:3:2 - Flicker, fail.
3:2:3:2:2 - Flicker, fail.
5:5 - Pass.
6:4 - Pass.
8:7 - Pass.
3:2 - Pass.

25/40

Mixed 3:2 Horizontal. 10/10
Mixed 3:2 Vertical. 10/10

Total: 73/130

Great, as I'm at work, everyone else is partying with the new update. =(

Anyway, can't wait to see how Odin Sphere is going to look @ 1080p upscaled on my TV tomorrow when I get back home. BALLIN!!!

Ashhong

Did you follow the steps from TVersity? I was able to stream music and download video files which TVersity converted first onto my PSP. I have yet to try it on the PS3, but I'm assuming if it works on the PSP, it will work on the PS3.

I'm getting frustrated, I can't get the media sharing to work on multiple PC's (one is a laptop) on my network using WMP11 or TVersity. Firewalls etc have been disabled.

WTF

:(

kenta

Has no PEINS
I can share music and pictures with Twonky but all videos show as unsupported even though I know for a fact the PS3 can play it

Not sure how to fix this!

just to highlight the differences
anhnonelx1.png

anhfullxz6.png

disc

Banned
Fafalada said:
It wasn't directed at you (I'm really sorry if post sounded like it) just that speculations from certain AV forum insiders about PS3 hw capabilities have been consistently aimed at pointing out unexisting bottlenecks and limitations.

But this one is just common sense - if PS3 can't stream HD because of memory, one begs the question how it's done on that other machine with the same amount of memory ;) (not to mention other hw with similar or less resources available).

Or how they are able to play BD movies... Very silly claim.

Kinan

Ok, managed to get streaming working with tversity. Only for PS3 formats (MP2, MP3, MP4) though so far, transcoding do not work for some reason. Back to settings joggling.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Ashhong said:
Did you follow the steps from TVersity? I was able to stream music and download video files which TVersity converted first onto my PSP. I have yet to try it on the PS3, but I'm assuming if it works on the PSP, it will work on the PS3.

Yeah, if you're referring to the steps provided by them during the setup process.

-Rogue5-

I don't know if anyone has confirmed yet, but it's worth reiterating: you have access to your PC's media through (local) remote play!!! All you music, pictures, videos that are playable on your PS3 are also playable on your PSP, hopefully, on the go!!!!

Bebpo

Banned
PS2 (and probably PS1) games got some fixes as well.

VP2's opening FMV does not have audio skipping anymore! Seems identical to playing on a PS2.

Ashhong

belvedere said:
Yeah, if you're referring to the steps provided by them during the setup process.

Weird. All I had to do was install and add the folders. Laptop, PSP, and even PS3 were able to easily connect. Haven't gotten to testing the actual streaming to PS3 though. PSP RSS and movie conversion work OK though.

Raistlin

Kinan said:
Ok, managed to get streaming working with tversity. Only for PS3 formats (MP2, MP3, MP4) though so far, transcoding do not work for some reason. Back to settings joggling.

If you don't mind, please detail the process and settings you used to get this working.

I think that would benefit many people here.

snorggy

put me in the pile of people who haven't noticed much difference with ps2 game upscaling... but dvd upscaling seems to be quite good... some scenes from the blue planet dvds ALMOST look HD.

and thanks tanod and agentotaku for the info about rgb full range thingy

My PS3 came with official Sony HDMI cables, but I can't get it to work on my Akai PDP4216M. I'm stuck using my PS2 component. I want to upscale DVD movies. =(

JB1981

The strange thing about Full Range HDMI is that if you play a PS2 game, you have to go back into display settings and re-enable again after you're done. WTF?

Well the update came much sooner than I thought so I didn't have time to get my camera ready, but I've tested a bunch of games and let me just say that FFXII 1080p @fullscreen with filtering is ****ing ridiculous, the same with Ace Combat 5, holy ****ing shit at the difference.

All the games benefit the way I hoped they would and for the first time ever PS2 games don't loose IQ when being displayed on a fixed pixel display

And the DVD upscaling is ****ing great!!! I can finally enjoy my dvd collection on my Westy without it looking like ass, in fact it looks damn good.

JB1981 said:
Holy shit.

Full range HDMI completey improved the contrast on my TV. Blacks are a lot richer and whites are whiter. Color POPS. **** YEAH!!!!

Yeah i have found this too on the dash, full range has made black very black now on my tv will try a game see if it offers the same level of improvement.

vpance

JB1981 said:
The strange thing about Full Range HDMI is that if you play a PS2 game, you have to go back into display settings and re-enable again after you're done. WTF?

Yeah I noticed that too.

JB1981

supermackem said:
Yeah i have found this too on the dash, full range has made black very black now on my tv will try a game see if it offers the same level of improvement.
honestly it makes Resistance look ten times better, more contrasty and more colorful. The greens are really green. The world doesn't look as grey and drab. It just looks more vibrant. I'm done with component now.

for me the best ps2 upscaling solution is 1080i with smoothing enabled. God of War 2 looked really nice this way.

JB1981 said:
honestly it makes Resistance look ten times better, more contrasty and more colorful. The greens are really green. The world doesn't look as grey and drab. It just looks more vibrant. I'm done with component now.

yeah, tried Resistance again....its kinda like the Steven Spielberg Minority Report DP filter is going on (as far as how dynamic and striking it is)......color palette seems completely different!

Stillmatic said:
Is there a list of supported formats that can be streamed?

Yeah anyone tried any other formats, i cant get divx/xvid to work or wmv/hd h.264 infact i have only been able to get one file wroking which i think was bog standard mpg2.:lol

Kittonwy

Banned
-Rogue5- said:
I don't know if anyone has confirmed yet, but it's worth reiterating: you have access to your PC's media through (local) remote play!!! All you music, pictures, videos that are playable on your PS3 are also playable on your PSP, hopefully, on the go!!!!

IMA PLAYIN' MAROON 5 SONGS ON MY PC... ON MA PSP!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Confirmed. ^_^

btrboyev

wow as soon as the update installed xmb found my wmp11 share without me even looking for it. Works swell...none of my videos work though. DVD upscaling looks very nice. The only ps2 game I have that upscaling helped was SotC.

Cassano

JB1981 said:

When I turn off the PS3 then turn it back on, I have to re-enable it. The setting says Full, but I have to set it back to Limited, then set it to back Full again.

Anyone else have this problem?

I don't think anyone has mention yet the GREATEST feature add of the FW update, and im not joking IMO. They changed the ps3 cursor color. YU CAN FN SEE IT NOW. I dont have to insert random x's to see where im tying. My pc went down for awile, and I've been using my ps3 lot for browsing and watching gamersday vids. It's miles better with just this small add. Posting from a ps3

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Stillmatic said:
Is there a list of supported formats that can be streamed?

I would like to know this as well. Does it support H.264 and MPEG-4 Part 2? Also, what File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov, wmv?

Mrbob

Cassano said:
When I turn off the PS3 then turn it back on, I have to re-enable it. The setting says Full, but I have to set it back to Limited, then set it to back Full again.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah it is a glitch in the matrix, hopefully sony fixes it soon.

No upscaling DVD's over component is ****ing lame, but this streaming music from the PC business rocks.

Blame AACS.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Someone posted in one of the VF threads that the HRAP and/or Virtua Stick are now compatible with PS1/PS2 games. I doubt it's true, but has anyone tested it yet?

Update seems good, br fixed check upscaling of ps game check all is need is xmb patch for in game and upscaling of all ps3 games to 1080p ala 360 and new games and ps3 would be in fine shape.

Top Bottom