• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Trace Memory

Deku

Banned
another-code-20050218054707927.jpg
another-code-two-memories-20050515005828946.jpg
another-code-two-memories-20050515005828509.jpg

also known as "Another Code" outside the Americas.

**minor spoilers**

CING really made their name with Hotel Dusk. Though having its own detractors, Hotel Dusk is a pretty good adventure title with great writing, characterization and an engrossing story. I jumped into Trace Memory with very low expectations mostly the the mixed reviews which led to my initial decision not to purchase the title when it was first released.

The game turned out to be a lot more enjoyable than I expected. It is short and the ending is weak, but the the build up to the climax is damn fantastic. It has a Myst quality to it as players are thrust into a mansion with elaborate pathways and switches to explore. Unlike Hotel Dusk, the room views are not in 3-D FPS mode rendered in real-time but instead feature pre-rendered angles, this is also reminiscent of Myst and other pre-3D era adventure titles. A room will usually have 3-4 pre-rendered angles plus a few more 'close up' angles of furniture, walls and fireplaces where a puzzle might be involved.

The first glaring weakness I noticed is that the writing is not as good or polished as Hotel Dusk and the characterization of the main character, Ashley, was pretty week.
In one specific line near the ending, the father character which should be in his 40s and has been nearly incommunicado and cut off from the world for 11 years uses the word 'pig out' in his journal, which I find totally out of character
The whole impetus of the story was Ashley's quest to meet and reconcile with with her father, whom she has never met . Like Hotel Dusk there's another mystery to solve along the way. In Trace Memory it turned into a case of the tail wagging the dog. The side story involving the Edwards --a tale of betrayal and murder as told through the artifacts in the house and the ghostly apparition of a young boy -- became far more convincing and interesting than Ashely's story.

The most enjoyable part for me was the exploration of the mansion which incidentally involves the core of the 'Edwards family' plot line. This takes a good 3 quarters of the game. The supernatural theme coupled with a mansion that is largely untouched by time (complete with blood stained rugs, curtains blowing in the wind, old letters strewn about and family photos scattered on tables) created the perfect mood for exploration.

The accompanying soundtrack also sets the mood in a blend of creepy, melodic ambiance. Though very limited in scope, the small number of tracks are rarely annoying, and there's a theme for each part of the mansion. This is in contrast to Hotel Dusk which uses leitmotifs to cue to entry and exit of different characters, but also created a situation where the lobby tune became nearly intolerable by the end of the game.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the Puzzles aren't too hard, and involves common sense sequential quests of "take item found in Room A, apply to puzzle", though the 'application' mini-games of said items usually involves novel but not ambitious uses of the DS, which makes them somehwat easier than similar puzzles found in Hotel Dusk. Each chapter usually ends with a modestly difficult puzzle that challenges the player. A few require pattern recognition, memorization, and a bit of lateral thinking. There's also some very neat uses of the DS's touch, mic and dual screens.

It is too bad that the last quarter of the game, involving the conclusion to Ashley's storyline, was poorly plotted and didn't seem believable to me (keep in mind this is a game that has ghosts and hi-tech gadget, so I'm not asking for realism, just a plausible plot for Ashely).

As a final note, I took my time exploring and contrary to some reviews which complained about the amount of backtracking, I hardly did much backtracking at all. I've only had to backtrack in a big way once (having to cross most of the explored mansion to obtain a reel of paper) and a few minor backtracking of having to move between rooms in the same hallway.

Overall a good short adventure and a good buy at a bargain (I got mine used at EB for $15), I highly recommended it for fans of Hotel Dusk. The artistry and style of Hotel Dusk is plentiful in this game, even if its not as polished.

I really enjoyed this game back then and I still think it holds up well. Hotel Dusk is better but Trace Memory had some neat moments, the Edward's family sub-plot was pretty cool and I agree that it was more convincing and interesting than Ashley's story; I thought the stamp puzzle was pure genius.

Deku

Banned
Magicpaint said:
I really enjoyed this game back then and I still think it holds up well. Hotel Dusk is better but Trace Memory had some neat moments, the Edward's family sub-plot was pretty cool and I agree that it was more convincing and interesting than Ashley's story; I thought the stamp puzzle was pure genius.

You just reminded me. I got the stamps but never used it. I guess I'll figure that one one when I replay my starred game.

Deku said:
You just reminded me. I got the stamps but never used it. I guess I'll figure that one one when I replay my starred game.
BTW, did you manage to solve the young boy's adventure and recollect his memory?

I wouldn't say there's much incentive to replay if you managed it at the first go.

Deku

Banned
Magicpaint said:
BTW, did you manage to solve the young boy's adventure and recollect his memory?

I wouldn't say there's much incentive to replay if you managed it at the first go.

I did. Apparently, completing it a second time with the 'good' ending will unlock a final puzzle with a message. I also read the second play through has slightly different situations presented to the player, since this game is short, I'm not too daunted by a second attempt.

Deku said:
I did, I was very thorough with my exploration. Apparently, completing it a second time with the 'good' ending will unlock a final puzzle with a message.
Really? o_0

Ah, then don't mind me, ha ha, I didn't know of this actually. I didn't complete the boys' quest the first time through, so I wasn't able to get the good ending twice; I only played through twice.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I did not enjoy this game. I couldn't stand it for more than 5 minutes; to me, it's the very same definition of boredom. It's like Resident Evil, but only with the silly puzzles left. The story was uninteresting and the exploration tedious and clunky; the only thing I enjoyed mildly was the quiet and peacefull atmosphere.
I completed it out of pure obligation.

Jcgamer60

I enjoyed this game too, despite it being pretty simplistic (i suppose i have a soft spot for the adventure genre). The music was pretty good overall, it really set the mood, but Hotel Dusk is better :).

Teasel

i liked this more than hotel dusk,the puzzle were simple but at least there were puzzle unlike hotel dusk

RiverBed said:
sorry to be off topic, but can anyone tell me what does LTTP stand for?
thanks.

Late To The Party, welcome to GAF lexicon

I liked Trace Memory, but it wasn't anything more than a forgettable distraction to me

ethelred

Nice write-up, Deku.

I think Hotel Dusk is much better than Trace Memory overall, and it's definitely, as you say, the game that made Cing's name. As for Trace Memory... well, I saw in it the potential that the team had, which was why I was mainly excited for their next game.

I enjoyed it, but I mostly had the same issues with it that you did. The game is just too short, and the ending (even if you get the best one) isn't very satisfying. But I enjoyed the location (the island and mansion), which had a really nice atmosphere; and I liked the history imbued into the place and how wrapped up it was with the family's past.

Deku

Banned
ethelred said:
Nice write-up, Deku.

I think Hotel Dusk is much better than Trace Memory overall, and it's definitely, as you say, the game that made Cing's name. As for Trace Memory... well, I saw in it the potential that the team had, which was why I was mainly excited for their next game.

I enjoyed it, but I mostly had the same issues with it that you did. The game is just too short, and the ending (even if you get the best one) isn't very satisfying. But I enjoyed the location (the island and mansion), which had a really nice atmosphere; and I liked the history imbued into the place and how wrapped up it was with the family's past.

Yes, the masion segments were very nice.
I'm replaying it again now to see what I missed and I really hope CING or someone make a few more adventures for the DS. I never knew how much I missed the genre until I played Hotel Dusk. A game of Hotel Dusk's scale set in a haunted mansion could be pretty entertaining.

Enjoyed the game, some interesting puzzles, bit of an anticlimatic ending
The charcoal printing one really pissed me off. I only found out how to do it once I
threw my DS across the floor.

Kinda disappointed that Project O is not in the same vein as Hotel Dusk (which I enjoyed twice as much)

^ Most adventure games are short. ?? :?

Anyway, I loved Trace Memory. Sweet game, not as good as something like Shadow of Destiny or Quest for Glory, but good for what it was.

I still need to play Hotel Dusk. I really do. I have it, just haven't done it.. :(

jgkspsx

I liked this more than Hotel Dusk, for the puzzles primarily. In fact, of the three adventure games I've beaten on the DS (TM, HD, and Touch Detective), this had the best and most original puzzles. The story is contrived, silly, and far from great, but so was Hotel Dusk's. The translation is weaker, though.

ethelred

Deku said:
Yes, the masion segments were very nice.
I'm replaying it again now to see what I missed and I really hope CING or someone make a few more adventures for the DS. I never knew how much I missed the genre until I played Hotel Dusk. A game of Hotel Dusk's scale set in a haunted mansion could be pretty entertaining.

Likewise. There are a couple of western games that got announced (Undercover: Dual Motives, Sinking Islands) that nothing's been seen or heard of since. Pretty disappointing. I definitely really would like to continue seeing the genre make an appearance on the DS -- I'm pretty pleased with Cing's efforts so hey, hopefully Nintendo will publish a few more from them. But I'd like to see other companies taking a stab at the genre, too.

Visualante said:
Kinda disappointed that Project O is not in the same vein as Hotel Dusk (which I enjoyed twice as much)

Oh, I'm not at all disappointed by that. I absolutely love what we've heard of King Story / Project O so far... sounds right up my alley. Treasure Island Z seems like a pure point & click adventure, though, so at least there's that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, I have put in a bit of playtime in between Lego Star Wars and Lunar Knights, not very far but it certainly has a Myst like quality to it.

Deku

Banned
jgkspsx said:
I liked this more than Hotel Dusk, for the puzzles primarily. In fact, of the three adventure games I've beaten on the DS (TM, HD, and Touch Detective), this had the best and most original puzzles. The story is contrived, silly, and far from great, but so was Hotel Dusk's. The translation is weaker, though.

The puzzles in Trace Memory were a bit more strait forward. The mini-games you play to solve a puzzle are also more direct in their use of the stylus, which usually involves rubbing or dragging something on-screen. The application of Mic was also pretty cool. Hotel Dusk had the more ambitious puzzles, several of which were neat but some require players to manipulate objects with the stylus a certain way that is not immediately intuitive, leading to a lot of trial and error/frustration.

ethelred said:
Likewise. There are a couple of western games that got announced (Undercover: Dual Motives, Sinking Islands) that nothing's been seen or heard of since. Pretty disappointing. I definitely really would like to continue seeing the genre make an appearance on the DS -- I'm pretty pleased with Cing's efforts so hey, hopefully Nintendo will publish a few more from them. But I'd like to see other companies taking a stab at the genre, too.

I'm hoping for more announcements at E3 or TGS. I'm not entirely clear of CING's involvement with Project O, but given it has a lot of outside talent working on the project as well as (if I recall correctly) the intention to look for a programming staff to build the game, the team at CING that worked on Hotel Dusk may be onto their next adventure game. I can only hope :)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Kureishima said:
^ Most adventure games are short. ?? :?

Anyway, I loved Trace Memory. Sweet game, not as good as something like Shadow of Destiny or Quest for Glory, but good for what it was.

I still need to play Hotel Dusk. I really do. I have it, just haven't done it.. :(

3 hours is below the threshold for me personally. I didn't really find the puzzles that engaging either. Except for the reflection puzzle.

Deku

Banned
BorkBork said:
3 hours is below the threshold for me personally. I didn't really find the puzzles that engaging either. Except for the reflection puzzle.

I took my time, final play time was 7 hours 9 minutes, which includes some downtime when I had left the game running.

Tsubaki

Too short.

Too few puzzles.

And not worth multiple playthroughs either.

I'd say it's the very definition of a "rental game". Luckily I sold my copy for almost as much as I bought it.

BorkBork said:

Yep, adventure games have always been about this long. Maybe an hour more.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I too enjoyed the game, despite it being somewhat half-baked. It was a good appetizer for what was to come on the system (Phoenix Wright series, Hotel Dusk, etc.)

I loved finding the "Zelda Chronology/Timeline" book, though. Hysterical.

zander106

momolicious said:
what happens in the perfect ending
Deku said:
The complete ending includes a small segment with
D where you send him off on his way to his afterlife.
How do you *not* get this ending? I just finished this game and got this "perfect" ending. I couldn't imagine finishing without helping D remember his past.

I liked this game. A perfect Goozex acquisition. Gave me about a week's worth of bedtime playing (final playtime somewhere between 6 and 7 hours). It's a bit disappointing that the puzzles are for the most part completely straightforward (no coconut catapults here). And yes, the ending is very anticlimactic and defies logic. But the puzzles and the progression of the narrative definitely reminded me why I like adventure games so much. And while the use of the DS features is a bit gimmicky, it is the best overall use I've seen in any games that I own. Especially
using the reflected images to find the key in the bookshelf, and also breathing on the glass to get that one keypad code -- freaking badass.

Finishing Trace Memory also further reinforces my opinion that the Phoenix Wright series is not a series of graphic adventure games, as many people mistakenly seem to believe, but actually a text adventure with graphics.

One other question -- is there any point to the memory quizzes at the end of each chapter? I didn't get any of the questions wrong, and now I'm wondering if there are repercussions if you miss too many over the course of the game.

jgkspsx

zander106 said:
Finishing Trace Memory also further reinforces my opinion that the Phoenix Wright series is not a series of graphic adventure games, as many people mistakenly seem to believe, but actually a text adventure with graphics.
I agree completely. You have LOOK, NSEW, TAKE, GIVE, TALK, and then the trials. The graphics could be replaced with text descriptions and things would still be playable (if maybe too easy). Actually, I remember Scott Adams text adventures with still scene pictures on the Atari ST and even some earlier ones on the Tandy Color Computer.

Which isn't to say Phoenix Wright isn't great, just that it's not a graphical adventure.

I never understood the point of the quizzes in this and in Hotel Dusk. I never got a question wrong in either and they wasted my time. Ah well.

agent069

Banned
While I really love their artstyle and enjoy their games, I think CING's game aren't that great. Adventure games on DS is an awesome conccept, but those guy should play some Lucas Arts adventure games and learn a few lesson, like don't overloading the game with text, putting some puzzles and stuff, giving the player some freedom, etc... Well, I'm not asking some AAA titles like Day of the Tentacles or Sam n Max, you can't deliver master pieces like that, but their games are really to text heavy, and there's not enough puzzles, in the end, they feel more like novels than adventure games, and thus they don't feel very rewarding, they're way too linear too, sometime you have an idea, you want to try it on and you struggle against the game. And then, a few moments latter, a scrypt allow you to do what you wanted to try in the first place.

To get back to the topic, I really enjoyed Trace Memory despite it's shortness, the story is pretty good and the game was really cool to play. I can't wait to see their next project :)

jgkspsx said:
I never understood the point of the quizzes in this and in Hotel Dusk. I never got a question wrong in either and they wasted my time. Ah well.

But the quizz music is great :)

Kenka

Just got the game yesterday. Overall, I am pretty impressed by the artistic direction although it gets sometimes half-screwed by the top-view. The story is quite engaging and the atmopshere of this game is a good mix between kawai and realistic à la Fragile. it is really the first time I'm stick to my handheld console like this. Deserves a mention.

Sorry to bump a 2 year old thread, but the first post was so informative, I just replied. Anyway, I just started this today and got to Chapter 3. I was a fan of 999, as you can see by my avatar, so I have been trying to pick up all the visual novel-ish games for DS. So far I am enjoying it. I also picked up the European version of the Wii one.

Big Papa Husker said:
Sorry to bump a 2 year old thread, but the first post was so informative, I just replied. Anyway, I just started this today and got to Chapter 3. I was a fan of 999, as you can see by my avatar, so I have been trying to pick up all the visual novel-ish games for DS. So far I am enjoying it. I also picked up the European version of the Wii one.
Good man. The only reason I entered this thread was to recommend it.

Deku

Banned
Big Papa Husker said:

RIP CiNG

The middle section of the game is incredible. Creepy, and just wonderful to explore the mansion and the history of the people who lived there.

Although not a horror game, it had its moments.

GSR

An enjoyable little game, though I prefer the Hotel Dusk games. The sequel on the Wii is also pretty decent, and the graphics for it are excellent.

Any other Trace Memory, 999, Hotel Dusk-y games on DS? I already have Again, 3 main Phoenix Wrights, Lux-Pain, Miami Law, Broken Sword and Time Hollow. I also grabbed Last Window when I got Another Code R. :)

Are there any other CiNG games other than Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk that came out here or in Europe?

Aeana

Big Papa Husker said:
Any other Trace Memory, 999, Hotel Dusk-y games on DS? I already have Phoenix Wrights, Lux-Pain, Miami Law, Broken Sword.
Have you played Last Window (sequel to Hotel Dusk)? It's only available in Europe, but it'll play on any DS.

Aeana said:
Have you played Last Window (sequel to Hotel Dusk)? It's only available in Europe, but it'll play on any DS.
Oops... Didn't get my edit in fast enough. I did pick it up when I ordered Another Code R for Wii.

i havent played them, but the jake hunter series exists. there are at least one and a half of them on ds.

if you like adventure games generally (as opposed to japanese visual novel style) i recommend the broken sword ds remake. and there are a handful of others (again, secret files, probably some more).

i also love the timeline:

2005 - original release of trace memory
2007 - original lttp thread
2009 - one post that received no follow up
2011 - current discussion

see you guys in 2013!

edit - oops you mentioned again.

Boney

Banned
Big Papa Husker said:
Any other Trace Memory, 999, Hotel Dusk-y games on DS? I already have Again, 3 main Phoenix Wrights, Lux-Pain, Miami Law, Broken Sword and Time Hollow. I also grabbed Last Window when I got Another Code R. :)

Are there any other CiNG games other than Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk that came out here or in Europe?
I guess there's Flower Sun and Rain.

how the fuck did i forget ghost trick? play ghost trick.

and i loved flower sun and rain, but generally hesitate before recommending it to people.

Boney

Banned
arglebargle said:
how the fuck did i forget ghost trick? play ghost trick.

and i loved flower sun and rain, but generally hesitate before recommending it to people.
oh yeah ghost trick

and i love ghost trick!

fs&r is a though recomendation, but I liked it a lot as well

I really enjoyed this back when I played it, but I know one thing...the wii sequel is not good. I got it as a gift from a friend I've already sold it(their permission). Boring, easy, and completely uninteresting. The only good thing was the way the areas transitioned from time to time.

GhaleonQ

Big Papa Husker said:

If you can handle Google Translation of walkthroughs and game scripts, Sakura Note: The Future Connected To The Present is by the Contact guy, has a Final Fantasy IX-like Uematsu soundtrack, and might make you cry.

The 2nd Tingle game, Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip Of Love is hilarious, by Vanpool, and...only in Japanese. I also haven't found a good, complete script.

I am having some trouble with the bird puzzle in Chapter 5. I am clicking in the same spots that it lands on in the animation, but the switch isn't popping out. Any ideas?

I just beat the game and got the good ending. I thought it was pretty good. I might have to move the sequel up on my backlog. So anything new happen if I beat New Game+?

Top Bottom