• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo TS?!? (guess who was bored last night?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
I think that like in the Opus Angelorum one, the design needs the ability to allow horizontal play with access to regular buttons, AND allow clamshell closure to protect the screen.

That surely would require very good engineering, but i want it! And it needs to be very reliable!

Plus i want one or two analog sticks. Maybe popable with a click? Click once when closed and it pops out. Click to close it again only when sliding some locking mechanism at the same time.

Throw in 4 gigs of memory, n-wifi and it's good to go :D

Juice

Killer idea and look Shog. It strikes me immediately as the natural progression for the DS to go. Hopefully Nintendo rips you off.

test_account

XP-39C²
Isnt there a cellphone thats like this? I'm sure i've seen something like this before or maybe it was a concept model. Anyway, it looks really great! :) Since its one big screen, it would be possible to eliminate the boarder between the 2 screens, like the DS is like today. That would be a big advantage imo, since the boarder that split the 2 screens today sux (ye, it works and you can get used to it, but i'd prefer it without the boarder) if you play games that uses both screens in 1 game, like Yoshi's Island and Contra 4.

ziran

Looks okay, but I'm not sure about the twist screen. Also, it looks like it's rejecting the clamshell design, which I think is a mistake.

The only worthwhile technical addition seems to be the motion controls, which is reasonably interesting, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I think there's plenty of life in the touch screen, in fact it's only getting started, so I wouldn't want to add something else just yet, it could take developers away from perfecting the touch controls, which most still need to work on. Also, there's a low cost motion control cartridge available which can be packaged with games if need be.

I can see aesthetic DS redesigns being worth it, but I can't see the point in any upgrades just yet. Maybe in 2-3 years, and then I'd want something far more innovative than what you've proposed.

Interesting idea though.

F

Firesprite121984

Unconfirmed Member
You got bored one night and designed a better successor to the DS then what we'll actually see?

If you ain't making money yet... then there is no justice in this world.

Love it Mr. Shogsy.:D

Thai

Bane was better.
here's a shit photoshop job i did a few years back:

DS.jpg

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
This is very similar to a DS mock-up that was put out by a fan before the lite came out. A bunch can be found at http://www.4colorrebellion.com/nintendo-ds-mockups/

But because the pictures on that page are hosted by a certain unnamed site, I decided to post this for you to see.

dsmockup.gif

The only real difference is the single one huge screen rather than them keeping the 2 screens. Remarkably similar though.

Squeak

Durante said:
It has TATE, it wins by default.

Also, with MBX, it will get free 24/7 online marketing by Lazy8s. Brilliant!
(Personally I'd be exceedingly pleased with those specs for a portable Nintendo 08 product. I mean, MBX is a real GPU :lol Though you could give it 32 or even 64 MB of RAM these days)
What makes you think the DS doesn't have a "real" GPU? Well, it does and it's pretty good for its size.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
This is very similar to a DS mock-up that was put out by a fan before the lite came out. A bunch can be found at http://www.4colorrebellion.com/nintendo-ds-mockups/

But because the pictures on that page are hosted by a certain unnamed site, I decided to post this for you to see.

dsmockup.gif

The only real difference is the single one huge screen rather than them keeping the 2 screens. Remarkably similar though.
Holy shit! That is pretty much the same as mine! @_0 Or is it the other way around. :)

I wonder what his reason to make it twist was. Mine was dictated by making the two screens into a one wide one, but keeping the BC with DS.

Hey dude, can you link me to this guy's info? I'd love to chat with him about his design.

edit: I can't find exactly the design you image linked, but there's another one at the site you linked that is twist and very similar. Was your from this Nick Lowe dude as well? Or was there two dudes with twist design at that site?

Squeak said:
What makes you think the DS doesn't have a "real" GPU? Well, it does and it's pretty good for its size.

The biggest issue people like him and myself have with the DS is that it's a 3D system in the 21 century that can only do point sampled textures. And no alpha blending is a crime too. You have to have those minimal if you want to be somewhat considered a real GPU (a T and L unit of some kind on the die is necessary too if you want to be real technical).

Opus Angelorum said:
I assume that was maybe for games that use the touch entirely?
Right, right... I guess he was going entirely one handed fashion with that. I still wanted two handed approach so I showed the closed mode in horizontal fashion.

[Nintex]

Behold it's competitor!!

I made this 3 years ago, just when the DS was announced.
diamond.jpg

I really like your design, there are already loads of mobile phones on the market with a rotating system like that.

[Nintex] said:
Behold it's competitor!!

diamond.jpg

I really like you're design, there are already loads of mobile phones on the market with a rotating system like that.
WOW! That sucker looks pretty lethal! :D "GET BACK! OR I POKE YER EYES OUT WITH MY SLIDE N' GAME!!!" ;)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Shogmaster said:
Holy shit! That is pretty much the same as mine! @_0 Or is it the other way around. :)

I wonder what his reason to make it twist was. Mine was dictated by making the two screens into a one wide one, but keeping the BC with DS.

Hey dude, can you link me to this guy's info? I'd love to chat with him about his design.

edit: I can't find exactly the design you image linked, but there's another one at the site you linked that is twist and very similar. Was your from this Nick Lowe dude as well? Or was there two dudes with twist design at that site?

The Nick Lowe one was the one I posted. I had taken the picture from that page (number 17 in the ds redesign section) and cropped some of it so I could put a picture in my post. The original one is hosted on imageshack and I'd much rather not be banned for it.

And from all the pictures, I figure the reason he made it twist was so it could double as an MP3 player that resembled the iPod. You can use the bottom touch screen as the controls for MP3 playback, and you won't even have to flip it to play touch only games.

StranGER

ur really onto something here. soon as you get your finalized version (up the specs just a tad more, should at least be a psp in there hardware wise) send that baby into nintendo.

it's very iphone and that's HOT!

GreenGlowingGoo said:
The Nick Lowe one was the one I posted. I had taken the picture from that page (number 17 in the ds redesign section) and cropped some of it so I could put a picture in my post. The original one is hosted on imageshack and I'd much rather not be banned for it.

And from all the pictures, I figure the reason he made it twist was so it could double as an MP3 player that resembled the iPod. You can use the bottom touch screen as the controls for MP3 playback, and you won't even have to flip it to play touch only games.

Ah, I found the other page. Sent him a hello for shits and giggles. Thanks.

capslock said:
LOLZ

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Good design...working on a new one myself...you've inspired me. Some gripes though:
-screen needs built-in protection, Nintendo likes durrable things for the kids, think of the children
-T-design's are aukword & not very durable
-speaker sound system would need work with this design
-how do we play games in wide mode with traditional buttons? with your design...we don't, granted a multi-point touch screen is nice, but looking at what the "next" NDS would do, it'll probably also play games with traditional controls via VC downloads or port-ups
-your inner specs are low, NDS was basically a portable N64 (let's not get technical), so it'd make sense that the "next" portable would be very GCN/Wii-like spec-wise
-your reasoning/planning is based on simply re-designing what's already "perfect"...in other words, I don't think Nintendo will do much in the way of changing design ('cos it works), nor just merely upping the specs, the NDS lite can be milked for another couple of years without a re-design
-by the time the "next" system comes (this again, goes with the last two points) I think Nintendo will be looking beyond *just* a bump in specs/screen/tilt...

feedback would be nice before I go ahead with my design for the "next" DS

I think that most of the answer lies in this picture.

4yu0cbn.jpg

This type of design gives you tablet mode and GBASP mode.

If the joint can slide and the base has a method to lock, it get even better stability. This way you get all 3 modes, and the DS mode has the bottom of the bottom screen flush or almost flush with the bottom of the base. Additionally, additional start/select buttons can be added the base plate, and if Nintendo wanted to please everyone, they could add a couple of analog sticks of some sort that would only be accessible while in GBASP mode.

As for the specs, I don't think Nintendo would go for yet another CPU and GPU. I think they'd try and leverage existing designs and just use a scaled down GCN/Wii chipset. This has the cool side effect of allowing the to just make minor adjustments to the Wii API, and allow programmers that are already familiar with that API to make a smooth transition. Imagine RE4 with PS2 models and GCN lighting in portable form. Yumm.

Another interesting bit is that if you're going 420x280, you're 3:2 like the GBA, but not at a multiple of the GBA resolution. 480x320 and you'd be exactly 4x the pixels. I guess it probably wouldn't matter. I'm sure that GBA mode would pipe completed screens as textures to the graphics chip and let it do all the scaling.

beat

Shogmaster said:
Nick Lowe did the twist in #17. He did a few others; #20 is a bizarre pop-up book take on that, sort of, and #17 is basically exactly what Nintendo made with the DS Lite, except no swappable faceplate.

Monk

Banned
Wow, I was expecting a troll with something absurdlike a "triple screen". But this is actually a good idea. Good for you Shogmaster.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess this will be spread around as a rumor.

And ya this is a great idea, but I'm guessing the next handheld by Nintendo is gonna be around gamecube's power.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
WiiDS.gif

I know, I know...another bitmap...blah. Never claimed to be a professional anything, but you should get the idea.

The LCD is on a pivoting hinge so it can be "closed" for clamshell like protection. When closed there's a smaller status screen that tells you whether there's an incoming "Wii Mail", you're charging (and how full the battery is), playing audio media or if you're in standby/pause/sleep durring games. When you open the screen you can access the large battery if need be.

When you flip the LCD for playback the system can be held vertically or horrizontally. Due to the well placed D-PAD you have access to it in either variation with your left thumb. There is also a vertical & horizontal L Button, also for easy access. The right hand is for using the stylus (in either vertical or horizontal form) or for the traditional face buttons in vertical form. Vertical form may look to be cramped or top-heavy, but the unit's heavier components (swivel hinge, battery & rumble) are located in your hand(s) and there's more of an ergonomic bulge towards the bottom for easier gripping.

To answer those who want analog control and/or traditional control (for playing VC downloads) in the wider horizontal mode, there is a Wii EXP port on the bottom of the unit to plug the Nunchuck, Classic controller or even other Wii peripherals!

There are also a variety of other features such as:
-16x9 multi-point touch widescreen LCD
-Wii performance on the small screen
-Wii user interface & menu system
-1GB of internal flash storage
-SD Card slot & media playback features
-rumble feedback & tilt control
-Virtual GameBoy (not only have access to VC & WiiWare titles, but now an array of portable classics will be available to download)
-plus, minus & home buttons just like the Wii (allows you to quickly reach the main menu, adjust volume, rumble, lighting, holding & other settings)
-built-in Nintendo playing card reader...no extra peripherals needed to enjoy your favorite card-based (DBZ, PokeMon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.) games
-camera for communication, multimedia recording & motion tracking gameplay

You guys got me all excited, and I drew something.

4k9nnk9.png

Please excuse the crudity of this model, it's not to scale or painted.

EDIT: No, they're not nipples. They're some sort of analog sticks.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
BlackNMild2k1 said:
Since I'm still trying to figure out Photoshop I made a quick drawing instead.

Nintendo_TS2drawing.jpg

I considered both of these earlier today, but in the top version the hinge is just WAY too flimsy/off-center, unenforced...hense why I'm against a T-style design.

The bottom version requires either a thicker unit with 2 sets of face buttons for either flipping or sliding OR it requires a hinging system with too many sets of moving parts to be durrable enough...and neither allow for a "closed" protected design.

Good work-arounds on Shogs idea, but durrability/screen protection is an issue in all these cases.

Hi *,

Thanks to ShogMaster for the email. Crazy similarities!

The original blog post for my DS redesign was back in December 2005:

http://nick.onetwenty.org/index.php/2005/12/17/yet_another_ds_redesign/

I also did a clamshell redesign for the PSP, and a possible Xbox handheld:

http://nick.onetwenty.org/index.php/2006/03/02/psp_redesign/
http://nick.onetwenty.org/index.php/2006/02/09/xbox_move/

More information (on the thinking behind these designs) is in the blog posts linked above. Feel free to copy portions of that text here if you want.

Please don't deeplink the images, but feel free to copy them to other free image hosting services (that are NeoGAF friendly) if you want. Please don't crop them.

Regards,

- Nick

(Note: A lot of the links in these old blog posts don't work since I moved hosts.)

DrGAKMAN

Banned
bmf said:
You guys got me all excited, and I drew something.

4k9nnk9.png

Please excuse the crudity of this model, it's not to scale or painted.

EDIT: No, they're not nipples. They're some sort of analog sticks.

This is similar to BlackNMild's top pic, but is even less likely 'cos it requires a ball'n'socket-like joint that moves on a track in order to be swung-adjusted to vertical or horizontal form.

I also considered (in my design) a ball'n'socket or "arm-like" hinge approach inwhich the screen was sorta seperate/detached from the rest of the system but held to it by an "arm" that allowed it to be flipped, shelled and swivelled to either vertical or horizontal possitions. This required too much in the way of space, asthetics & durrability that is was not feasible to be not only manufacturable, but too combersome for the end user.

You guys have to remember, this has got to be able to work for anyone who picks it up. Shog's flip-t design is the best as far as ease, but I'm trying to solve the no face buttons in widemode and no closed protection for the screen issues.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
gamefreedom said:
Hi *,

More information (on the thinking behind these designs) is in the blog posts linked above. Feel free to copy portions of that text here if you want.

Please don't deeplink the images, but feel free to copy them to other free image hosting services (that are NeoGAF friendly) if you want. Please don't crop them.

Regards,

- Nick

(Note: A lot of the links in these old blog posts don't work since I moved hosts.)

'Sup man...I remember you, 'cos I talked to you about if that was Jenny Lewis in your DS/iPod design! Man, that was a while ago.

That's a pretty ****ing awesome concept design but I have to agree with sp0rk, I don't see Nintendo doing something this elegant and advanced.

DrGAKMAN said:
'Sup man...I remember you, 'cos I talked to you about if that was Jenny Lewis in your DS/iPod design! Man, that was a while ago.

Hahah. Yeah, I remember that! (For everyone else, it's Bjork BTW).

I was planning on actually taking a DS (phat) apart and making this concept... until I worked out that it would cost me around AU$500 to do properly... (assuming that I don' t go through multiple DSes in the process!) :.(

Monk

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
That's a pretty ****ing awesome concept design but I have to agree with sp0rk, I don't see Nintendo doing something this elegant and advanced.

What is so advanced about it? It looks on par with what Nintendo's price range and power on the handheld front. If anything they would release a system lightly more powerful than it. As for elegance they were the first to put a clamshell design on a gaming device an nintendo have done away with the sturdy design concept(ds lite),

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Since I'm still trying to figure out Photoshop I made a quick drawing instead.

Nintendo_TS2drawing.jpg

I like these because they are actually physically possible. Here's my interpretations:

TScomplexHingeSketches.jpg

Design A would hinder the touch action with it's hinge looking a bit wobbly in the open state. Design B would fair a little better for that purpose.

At the end of the day however, they are too complex, expensive and delicate for the market intended IMO. I guess habits from designing action figures for 6 to 10 yr olds still lingers in me. :lol

gamefreedom said:
Hi *,

Regards,

- Nick

Holy crap! I guess you already were a GAFer! :lol

Apparently not a big attention whore like me though. :D

DrGAKMAN

Banned
MickeyKnox said:

Sorry, but what's so elegant & advanced about it? it sorta mixes with Nintendo's simplistic mantra...but I do agree, Nintendo wouldn't go with something like what Shog drew up. However, I think it's more 'cos Nintendo would want something more durrable rather than "elegant & advanced".

My own design may not even be up to Nintendo's durability test. Most likely, Nintendo will go with another clamshell design, which would mean 2 screens, the top one is a widescreen...so on and so forth. However, if there was a way for them to go with 1 screen (to save money), they do it if it could keep NDS B/C & durrability.

Double holy crap! How did I miss DrGAKMAN's bitmap diagram! That's like old school awesome dude. :D

I think the hinge is gonna be a weak point though. My Sony Clie NX70 always had a delicate hinge problem (basically the same hinge design as yours).

Monk

Banned
Is it me or is everyone forgetting the dslite? That thing while elegant, it is more brittle than a psp. It goes to show that Nintendo is not afraid to make brittle handhelds if they can get away with it.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Shogmaster said:
Double holy crap! How did I miss DrGAKMAN's bitmap diagram! That's like old school awesome dude. :D

I think the hinge is gonna be a weak point though. My Sony Clie NX70 always had a delicate hinge problem (basically the same hinge design as yours).

6161024128a03d95577e0010.L.jpg

I have a Panasonic SD Cam with that flip & twist hinge and the only time it's flimsy is when it's opened outwardly with nothing behind it to reinforce it.

With my design it's either hinged closed into the rest of the unit, or hinged with the LCD facing the player and the back of it against the unit to reinforce it. It'd basically be as durable as your T-flip hinge BUT more reinforced with the LCD laying flat against the rest of the unit durring play.

Thanks...glad someone finally noticed, I've been commenting on everyone elses concepts.

Monk...
The NDS Lite may be "brittle" compared to past Nintendo portables, but at least it keeps it's screens protected in it's compact clamshell design. Plus it's light like a celphone, not like some of the bricks of the past.

I'm not forgetting NDS Lite though...it's actually a very nice design that needs no real changes and it's a successful product that Nintendo can milk for a while...which begs me to wonder about whether we should be talking about a "next" DS so soon...and that if/when we do, we have to look at it from a 2009 - 2010 launchtime...which means more power/features than some of us are willing to throw out there in our ideas.

Monk said:
Is it me or is everyone forgetting the dslite? That thing while elegant, it is more brittle than a psp. It goes to show that Nintendo is not afraid to make brittle handhelds if they can get away with it.
4m1ohms.jpg

They could just take the easy way out and sell a DS Lite with a 16:9 top screen.

[Nintex] said:
Behold it's competitor!!

diamond.jpg

I really like your design, there are already loads of mobile phones on the market with a rotating system like that.
It's...i-it's majestic

Monk

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
Monk...
The NDS Lite may be "brittle" compared to past Nintendo portables, but at least it keeps it's screens protected in it's compact clamshell design. Plus it's light like a celphone, not like some of the bricks of the past.

I'm not forgetting NDS Lite though...it's actually a very nice design that needs no real changes and it's a successful product that Nintendo can milk for a while...which begs me to wonder about whether we should be talking about a "next" DS so soon...and that if/when we do, we have to look at it from a 2009 - 2010 launchtime...which means more power/features than some of us are willing to throw out there in our ideas.

I always thought that this was more of a 2k8, 2k9 product myself looking at the specs and price range. What surprises me about the ds lite is how there isnt that many complaints about it. Especially considering the age demographics of it skewing to the older 40+ age group.

But this new design seems like a natural evolution of the concept. If nintendo doesnt use it, my bet is someone else would. My biggest concern is the resolution of the screen, it seems a bit too small in terms of height? The combined touch screen resolution of the DS touch screens are:
384 x 256, you are suggesting 420 x 280, but if you consider backwards compatibility would 36 pixels be enough of a distance between the two to emulate the dual screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom